X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Classé Phono Modules

I cant find much info on this and since I am just starting to consider getting a turn table for the first time I am light on knowledge.

Can someone please explain this thing to me? Am i wrong in assuming it just has RCA inputs and output and goes between the TT and the preamp? Can i use it with my SSP 600 or is this thing some how limited to certain types of pre-amps.

If you have one can you post some pics?

Thanks..im a total noob when it comes to this.
  • KahunaCanuck
    • May 2008

TT cartridges produce a very weak signal, the phono module or phone pre-amp just amplifies it in a very quiet way so that it is a similar signal going into your 600 to your CD or other source (this is a really basic description). My Musical Fidelity KW 500 integrated has a good built in phono section, that is what I use with my Marantz TT. There are reasonably priced phono pre-amps to start with like the Bellari for $250(US) of you want to keep the budget low to start...
    Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Classe's phono boards only work in the CP-500, CP-700, and CAP-2100 so you need an outboard phono preamp with the SSP-600.

Eric

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
        Classe's phono boards only work in the CP-500, CP-700, and CAP-2100 so you need an outboard phono preamp with the SSP-600.

Eric
        interesting.

Why wouldnt Classe make one which works with their SSP?

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

delete

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi Nolan,

The PS phono unit with Xlr will give you more enjoy!

PS Audio is a company specializing in high-fidelity audio components equipment for audiophiles and the sound recording industry. It currently produces audio amplifiers, preamplifiers, power related products, digital-to-analog converters, streaming audio, music management software and cables.

Style

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Yup. That's a phono amp. Phono amps also perform the RIAA equalization function (Recording Industry Association of America). If you're just trying out vinyl , you may want to get one that handles MM and MC (moving magnet and moving coil) cartridges. There are some nice MM cartridges that are still reasonably priced-and if vinyl doesn't trip your trigger , you haven't dumped thousands of dollars into a good MC cartridge. If you like it , you already have the ancillary stuff and you can buy a Koetsu! :B
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by style
                Hi Nolan,

The PS phono unit with Xlr will give you more enjoy!

PS Audio is a company specializing in high-fidelity audio components equipment for audiophiles and the sound recording industry. It currently produces audio amplifiers, preamplifiers, power related products, digital-to-analog converters, streaming audio, music management software and cables.

Style
                thanks for the suggestion :T

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                  • Oct 2007

Depends on the level of turntable you are interested in, but you can start with Phono Pre-amps such as Cambridge Audio 540 and 640, Project and NAD PP-3 all at around £50 - 100. Then step up to models such as Trichord Dino and the PS Audio mentioned above are around £500 and really (as with all of HiFi) the sky is the limit. There are also a few turntables which integrate a high quality phono stage into the plinth such as the Linn Urika for the LP12.

As always, a good dealer will be able to advise on suitable phono pre-amp for your chosen Turntable and Cartridge.

Eloise

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nolan B
                    interesting.

Why wouldnt Classe make one which works with their SSP?
                    Since the internal layout is very different in the SSP-600 than the three pieces the phono boards won't fit. To design and build some just for the SSP-600 wouldn't justify the price.

Eric

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

Since the internal layout is very different in the SSP-600 than the three pieces the phono boards won't fit. To design and build some just for the SSP-600 wouldn't justify the price.

Eric

but couldnt they just have one with RCA in and RCA out?

Comment

• Glen B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2004

Eric
                        Agreed. Also, there's probably just not enough space for any additional boards anyway. From what I'm seeing, a lot of vinyl lovers are tending to maintain separate 2-channel systems. It may also be there's not enough demand for a phono stage in a processor to justify making accommodation for one.

Originally posted by Nolan B
                        but couldnt they just have one with RCA in and RCA out?
                        There's already a lot of competition in the outboard phono stage market, especially at the price level of the Classé boards. Also, the outboard phono stage may not perform quite as well sonically as when installed internally. For one thing, the stage will have to be designed to drive long interconnects, and that will require an output buffer stage (with its own set of sonic characteristics to deal with) that is not necessary with an internal phono board.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"