I've just received the SSP-800 yesterday...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian1975
    • Apr 2009

I've just received the SSP-800 yesterday...

Hi to all,
    I'm new in this Classé club, I have upgrade my AV gear. I've changed my Rotel pre-amp, amp and my B&W 703 + HTM7 to Classé CA-5200+ SSP-800 and 802d + HTM2d. I received it yesterday...The difference is like day and night (music and movie experience). I would like some help to calibrate everything step by step (room calibration).

Thanks!

Ian
  • planitismetal
    • Dec 2008

Welcome to the club!!! After several hours of playing, you will hear also big difference!!! Read the thread about SSP-800 Setup assistance by sikoniko here:
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...hlight=ssp-800

ENJOY!!!
    ;x( ;x( ;x(

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Great!

What this club needs is more members

Im sure the difference you noticed based on what you went from to where you are now is nothing short of staggering

Comment

• garak
        • Jul 2007

Congrats ian, that was quite an upgrade!

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
          • May 2008

Wow, that should be aq pretty significant change! Congrats!
          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• JargonGR
            • Feb 2009

Hehe, HAPPY listening! You remind me of when I went from a KEF IQ9 based system powered by an AVR, straight to 800Ds/HTM1D with NEMO monoblocks and could not believe how much better it was.

Comment

• Classe4me
              • Dec 2007

Congrats on an amazing system

Hey Ian, Just like the Jefferson's....movin' on up! When I went from my 1 or 2 hours of Rotel ownership (no exaggeration) to Lexicon, it was like comparing AM radio to Bang & Olufsen, all the while I wanted Classe. I was lucky enough to get the speakers I wanted in the beginning, but totally blew my budget and had to settle on the electronics. It took me a couple of months to decide that I was never going to be satisfied unless I had Classe. I cannot, and will not take anything away from Lexicon, it was wonderful sounding equipment. Moving to Classe just took me to the top of the mountain that I was able to climb, plus it moved me to owning not only music and video equipment, but also owning amazing pieces of art that were worthy or MOMO of the Guggenheim...in my humble opinion that is!

You have many, many hours, days, and years of incredible listening enjoyment with such an incredible system. I am proud for you!

Happy listening!

Tom

Comment

• ian1975
                • Apr 2009

Many thanks to all your congrats and comments. I spoke to Tom from Classé last week, the new upgrade for the SSP-800 will be available at the end of this august before CEDIA. I can't wait for the upgrade and the HD audio experience from my speakers.

Ian

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

just like heaven :T

well, nice upgrade...

Yes, the new chip&software is in august available...
                  the "old" chip will be replaced from the new.... and the software for the HD sound is ready just the last little thing....

A extra calibration from the EQ in "yours rooms" made with a Classe "gears and the Classe profiman will be not bad.

Style

Comment

• RalphoR
                    • Feb 2009

Hi, Ian.........welcome to the club. Nice upgrades, by the way. I hope you're having a great time with your new "toys"! Thanks for the heads up about the DSP board. I have the Pioneer Elite 09FD blu-ray player and have been debating whether or not to use the analog outs on the player (as I'm doing right now) or go HDMI out so the SSP-800 decodes the new high def audio codecs. This player has two separate HDMI outs so I can send audio out of one and video out of the other. I'm not sure that will make a difference either way with the new DSP board. Again, welcome aboard and all the best to your bank account ;-)

Ralph

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RalphoR
                      Hi, Ian.........welcome to the club. Nice upgrades, by the way. I hope you're having a great time with your new "toys"! Thanks for the heads up about the DSP board. I have the Pioneer Elite 09FD blu-ray player and have been debating whether or not to use the analog outs on the player (as I'm doing right now) or go HDMI out so the SSP-800 decodes the new high def audio codecs. This player has two separate HDMI outs so I can send audio out of one and video out of the other. I'm not sure that will make a difference either way with the new DSP board. Again, welcome aboard and all the best to your bank account ;-)

Ralph
                      I had the 09 for a weekend. I opted to take it back though as I couldn't tell a difference between it and my PS3. I concluded the only value in it is if you have a lessor pre/pro than the Classe and needed the on-board DACs to make up for it. It really says a lot about the SSP-800 to me and how good it is vs the competition.
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Thanks for the heads up about the DSP board. I have the Pioneer Elite 09FD blu-ray player and have been debating whether or not to use the analog outs on the player (as I'm doing right now) or go HDMI out so the SSP-800 decodes the new high def audio codecs. This player has two separate HDMI outs so I can send audio out of one and video out of the other. I'm not sure that will make a difference either way with the new DSP board. Again, welcome aboard and all the best to your bank account ;-)

I have a Lx91 (Europa version from the 09) and the denon3800.
                        The LX91 is the Best bluray player available. The Denon&Sony5000 dont are at the same level.....
                        but I don't understand a connection with the analog outs to the SSP800!!!!!
                        Ralph don't less your time!! A great digital player like the Lx91 don't give nothing more with the analog outs.....
                        GO with a good Hdmi and nothing more: so you go have the best sound from the Classe combo & the lx91.

Style

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by style
                          The LX91 is the Best bluray player available. The Denon&Sony5000 dont are at the same level.....
                          Ralph don't less your time!! A great digital player like the Lx91 don't give nothing more with the analog outs.....
                          GO with a good Hdmi and nothing more: so you go have the best sound from the Classe combo & the lx91.

Style
                          I think you're smoking the cheez-wiz. :W Can you qualify how you feel the Pioneer differentiates itself? As an upscaler, I can see. I can also see the arguement for using analog out on a lesser pre/pro, but as a transport, my experience is that it is no better than the PS3 in playback. Now some people don't want a PS3 in their rack, and I can respect that. However, I don't believe it to be any better at blu-ray playback.

Comment

• ian1975
                            • Apr 2009

quote "Again, welcome aboard and all the best to your bank account ;-)"

My wife wasn't so happy with my new toys, she made me sign an agreement not to buy anything for the next few years. I accepted obviously...

Ian
                            :cry:

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

I think you're smoking the cheez-wiz. Can you qualify how you feel the Pioneer differentiates itself? As an upscaler, I can see. I can also see the arguement for using analog out on a lesser pre/pro, but as a transport, my experience is that it is no better than the PS3 in playback. Now some people don't want a PS3 in their rack, and I can respect that. However, I don't believe it to be any better at blu-ray playback

Sorry but a lx91 or what for a digital sourge connect with analog cables to the SSP800 you give waht??? NOTHING!!!!
                              ...i go connect with the analog to by-pass, hey man, stand up :W :W :W
                              we spoke from a analog SSP800 I/O or from a Lx91 vs. a Ps3???
                              I s a personal taste: I don't SURE connect my Lx91 to the Net with ethernet or so like sh*** I will see a movie, listen a contert: with my PC i go "surf" with internet not with a bd-player.
                              Is like a new tekno: ipod, Macmini, mp3....a server in place from a cd player!
                              NO THANK, I smoking the cheez-wiz.

Style

Comment

• RalphoR
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                I had the 09 for a weekend. I opted to take it back though as I couldn't tell a difference between it and my PS3. I concluded the only value in it is if you have a lessor pre/pro than the Classe and needed the on-board DACs to make up for it. It really says a lot about the SSP-800 to me and how good it is vs the competition.

Thanks for your input. I hear what you're saying about how great the SSP-800 is with the current DACs. My question is how can the sound be better with the SSP-800, as it currently is, without being able to truly decode the hi-def audio codecs? Trust me, I'm a HUGE fan of the 800 and think the sound is phenomenal but my brain still tells me that "the best, true sound should come from the 09FD because it is passing the high definition audio decoded to the 800". That same brain tells me "the 800, with the new DSP board, will sound waaay better than the 09FD sending audio via analog." That's why I'm using the 09FD passing audio via the analog outs at this time.

Ralph

Comment

• RalphoR
                                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by style

Style

Thanks for your input, Style. I think the 09FD is an awesome blu-ray player and I can tell a difference that it's picture processing is better than other blu-ray players I've seen. I do agree somewhat with Sikoniko that it's not $1,800 better than the PS3.

I will go with the HDMI out once the new DSP board is released. See my previous post for the reasons why!

Ralph

Comment

• RalphoR
                                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ian1975
                                    quote "Again, welcome aboard and all the best to your bank account ;-)"

My wife wasn't so happy with my new toys, she made me sign an agreement not to buy anything for the next few years. I accepted obviously...

Ian
                                    :cry:

At least you can "bargain" with her! That's a good thing in my book. But now you can't tell her "no" for the next 300 pairs of shoes she wants to buy :W

Every time she gets a new pair....go down to your home theater room and listen to your favorite movie/cd playing through the SSP-800...you, know...to help you through the difficult times :lol:

Ralph

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2007

Thanks for your input. I hear what you're saying about how great the SSP-800 is with the current DACs. My question is how can the sound be better with the SSP-800, as it currently is, without being able to truly decode the hi-def audio codecs? Trust me, I'm a HUGE fan of the 800 and think the sound is phenomenal but my brain still tells me that "the best, true sound should come from the 09FD because it is passing the high definition audio decoded to the 800". That same brain tells me "the 800, with the new DSP board, will sound waaay better than the 09FD sending audio via analog." That's why I'm using the 09FD passing audio via the analog outs at this time.

Ralph
                                      I'm a little confused by this post. Yes the SSP-800 can't decode the HD audio bitstreams from your BD player but since the player decodes them, you don't need it to. The BDP-09FD will internally decode send a multi channel PCM over the HDMI for all HD audio codecs why do you not do that. The analog outputs are pretty on the BDP-09FD but not the level that the SSP-800 is. By using the analog outputs you are not getting the best from your gear.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Ralph
                                        I'd be surprised if your brain could tell where the decoding was being done if the signal was sent HDMI. sending the signal via analog will be a personal preference, but really negates the true value of the ssp-800.

if you a/b it, please feel free to report back. You may prefer the DAC implementation in the Pioneer. Who knows. I believe they use wolfson?

you really have to change your paradigm with the ssp-800. classe went to a lot of effort to deliver at this price point. It may lack in some features people think they want, but it delivers in audio where it counts.

Comment

• RalphoR
                                          • Feb 2009

hifiguymi and Sikoniko....you both are right. It's just my oddball way of thinking. It might be that I bought a blu-ray player, although really good, should actually be paired with a lesser processor and so for the price I paid for it I better get something out of the analog section. I figure that when the new DSP board comes out and I switch to pure HDMI output maybe the difference will be even better.

I know with this line of thinking I'm missing out on the true potential of the 800 but I have to tell you it sounds pretty damn good receiving the audio via analog.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

hifiguymi and Sikoniko....you both are right. It's just my oddball way of thinking. It might be that I bought a blu-ray player, although really good, should actually be paired with a lesser processor and so for the price I paid for it I better get something out of the analog section. I figure that when the new DSP board comes out and I switch to pure HDMI output maybe the difference will be even better.
                                            actually, the DSP won't change how it sounds over HDMI. If an audible difference could be detected, it would probably sound better sending the signal LPCM, instead of bitstreaming. Therefore, if you find you enjoy it bitstreaming off the SSP over HDMI once the DSP is installed, you probably would enjoy it better today sending it LPCM to the SSP over analog anyways.

As far as whether you made the right decision or not, that is up to you. It has a good upscaler in it, if you needed that. Personally, the DVDO Edge is cheaper and could scale more sources for less price.

BUT, it is your money, and if you wanted the 09, then its not really our place to judge you for buying it. so enjoy. You might as well setup another input on the SSP that uses audio over HDMI and compare the two. It won't hurt anything, and if you plan on using HDMI once the DSP is installed, the input will already be done.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"