X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digitalshah
    • Nov 2008

SSP-600 and OPPO BDP-83

I have the OPPO BDB-83 connected to the ssp-600 processor via optical and 5.1 ch analog interconnects. The subwoofer is a b&w PV-1. When I select the analog interconnect input for oppo, the sub barely reacts to the loud sounds. It seems to respond, but barely. On the other hand, the sub works perfectly when the optical input. Oppo is upgraded to the latest firmware. Anyone experience similar problem? Thanks.
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by digitalshah
    I have the OPPO BDB-83 connected to the ssp-600 processor via optical and 5.1 ch analog interconnects. The subwoofer is a b&w PV-1. When I select the analog interconnect input for oppo, the sub barely reacts to the loud sounds. It seems to respond, but barely. On the other hand, the sub works perfectly when the optical input. Oppo is upgraded to the latest firmware. Anyone experience similar problem? Thanks.

oh boy....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you stumbled onto something that will frustrate you. The player is working 100% fine as it should. Read the link below then come back and we can discuss solutions.

BTW...i ordered the Oppo and I have the SSP 600 (and PV1 for that matter).

There are lots of things to discuss.

read link

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Why aren't you using HDMI?

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• AV-OCD
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
        Why aren't you using HDMI?

Kal
        The SSP-600 has no HDMI inputs.

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Use a switcher for Video..Its really a non issue here.

My guess is after all is said and done you will use full spec lossy with your Oppo and SSP, but we can figure a way for you to compare the Oppo and its DACs vs the Classe and its DACs using lossless.

At the very least you can set your SSP for SACD and DVD A using the Oppo's analog.

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

hi,

personaly I will go so:
            from the Oppo with Hdmi to plasma/beamer

from Oppo to the SSP600 > coax.(digital) or Rca Analog !!!

this give you the Best sound/ pictures...

Style

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
              The SSP-600 has no HDMI inputs.
              Right. Never mind.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• digitalshah
                • Nov 2008

I think I got it right...

First, Thanks guys for all your responses. i ended up setting the front B&W 802d's as "small THX", center and surrounds as "small" and enabled both the subwoofer and "e-bass" in the ssp-600. On top of that, I bumped up the sub gain in the ssp-600 by 10db. Result is that the b&W PV-1 sub now works great when using the analog 5.1 outs from the oppo to ssp-600. Also, in the oppo BDP-83, I added 10 db to the subwoofer. I still need to tweak the levels a little bit to eliminate the "boomines" of the sum in music mode. What do you guys think?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                  • Aug 2008

First, Thanks guys for all your responses. i ended up setting the front B&W 802d's as "small THX", center and surrounds as "small" and enabled both the subwoofer and "e-bass" in the ssp-600. On top of that, I bumped up the sub gain in the ssp-600 by 10db. Result is that the b&W PV-1 sub now works great when using the analog 5.1 outs from the oppo to ssp-600. Also, in the oppo BDP-83, I added 10 db to the subwoofer. I still need to tweak the levels a little bit to eliminate the "boomines" of the sum in music mode. What do you guys think?
                  The 10dB sub channel boost sounds about right when using a player's analog outputs, but I don't believe that there is any reason to engage e-bass. Since you have your main speakers configured as small, e-bass shouldn't be doing anything anyway.

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Personally I think you would be better off with full spec lossy (found on BD) and having your SSP 600 process it then lossless out of the Oppo.

Thats the route im going when it arrives. Ill use the analog outputs for DVD A and SACD only and may mod the player.

If you decide to do it your way they I would make one config with the SW boost for BDs and one config as for lossy and music.

Comment

• digitalshah
                      • Nov 2008

Nolan B, can you please explain the two config. option?

Nolan B, can you you please elaborate on creating the two config. option that you just described above? By full spec lossy, do you mean the dolby digital or regular dts soundtrack on the blu-ray discs in addition to the Dolby tru hd or dts master audio? Also, where can I get more info on creating different configurations on the ssp-600? It seems that the manual is not very cleaqr on that. Thanks again.

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

Nolan B, can you you please elaborate on creating the two config. option that you just described above? By full spec lossy, do you mean the dolby digital or regular dts soundtrack on the blu-ray discs in addition to the Dolby tru hd or dts master audio? Also, where can I get more info on creating different configurations on the ssp-600? It seems that the manual is not very cleaqr on that. Thanks again.

Full Spec Lossy:

Its common knowledge that SD DVD used Dolby Digital and DTS, but what most people dont realize is that very rarely was the full spec of those formats used i.e. DTS 1.5 mbps and DD 640kbps.

Lossless audio on BDs contain both the lossy and lossless version. DTS MA is simply an extension of DTS, and when sending the signal from BD player to the DTS compatible processor via coax or optical the extenstion is simply ignored and you are left with the full spec lossy DTS. The real difference in sound quality comes from the remaster of audio rather then the difference in lossless vs lossy. I remember reading from a film mixer that when using professional equipment to measure the difference between lossless and full spec lossy the difference was less then 1%.

Is lossless better? Yes, but full spec lossy comes extremely close. So close that you would be better off using a good processor to decode the fully spec lossy then using a mid level one to decode the lossless. i.e. more difference can be heard from things like quality of processor and DACs then lossless vs Lossy.

I used to believe the opposite until some tests I did on my own.

Classe SSP 600 decoding full spec lossy > Oppo decoding lossless

Configurations:

Configurations are simply memories for speaker settings i.e. level trims and delays. When you go into the set up or the config you use the supplied mic to do the sound level tests. The SSP 600 has four that you can program in case you want to use on config for watching movie while sitting on your couch vs one say sitting off to the side in a chair.

My suggestion to boost the sub levels in case you wanted to test for your self the difference between my above theory was to make two identical configurations using the auto set up then simply manually boost the SW output in one of the configs. Switch configs before switching to the analog input of the SSP 600 in order to use the one set for boosted SW.

I dont believe the delay settings work in the SSP 600 when using the bypass, but i have confirmed the trim levels take effect so you may want to set up the delay levels (speaker distance) in the player.

make sense?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                          • Aug 2008

Nolan -

Sent you a PM in response to yours a few days ago. Just lettin' you know.

- Tim

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"