X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Dts 96/24 - Ssp 600

I am currently looking at getting my wife the best of Genesis box set and I can either get the import SACD version, or the domestic DTS 96/24 version. I was thinking I would get the DTS since its half the price and probably sounds just as or nearly as good.

I just noticed that DTS 6924 is not listed as a supported format on the SSP 600. Can anyone confirm is the SSP 600 does or does not support it?

Its listed in the SSP 800s specs which leads me to believe i may be SOL.
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

Nolan,

I have compared the Moody Blues DTS 24/96 to the equivalent SACD and the SACD is WAY better. I would suspect the same would hold true for the Genesis. I own all the Genesis SACDs but have done very little comparison with the DTS 24/96 versions.

Look at it this way. You are well on the road to upgrading to the SSP-800. The SACD will be shown to best advantage in that system. I know that the cost is more for the SACD in the short term but in the long run it is probably worth it and it is probably relatively inexpensive when you think of the years of enjoyment that you will get from that classic material, particularly when heard through an SSP-800.

Life is too short, go for the SACDs. You and your wife deserve it.

In answer to your original question, I am virtually certain that you can get it to work on the SSP-600 without too much trouble. I got it to work on my Lexicon MC-12 but because it is a while ago and I have replaced all my DTS-24/96 discs with SACD I can't remember exactly how I did it. As I remember, it wasn't too terribly difficult.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Solid advice jim and thanks for the feedback on the 96/24 vs SACD comparison.

So you own the SACD box sets of genesis?

What are your thoughts?

Comment

• Oddiophile
        • Jul 2008

Nolan,

I own the box set of the early Genesis and individual discs for the rest so I own all the Genesis stuff. I am quite impressed by the sound quality of most of the discs but there are a couple of the discs (the most recent ones) that to me aren't that good musically. I got them because I am a compulsive completist.

Perhaps now is not the best time for me to comment on all this because I am in the process of making major changes to my system. I added the Oppo BDP-83 at the and of May and apart from a few minor glitches I am impressed, especially with the DSD conversion that is done in the player (quite unusual). Today I got the big honkin' B&W HTM1D speaker and have not heard any music through it yet. It will probably need about 200 hours to break in. I am also planning to audition a Classe SSP-800 in Edmonton as soon as one arrives there. I am now about 95% certain that I will buy one.

In general, I think that buying the 1st box set (the Peter Gabriel years) is a safe bet but after that you might want to consider buying individual discs unless the price of the box sets is a better deal anyway. On the whole, Genesis is a terrific band and most of the music is well worth having. By the way, I very highly recommend all the Moody Blues SACD which I believer are the first 5 albums.

Jim

Comment

• Audio_ElF
          • Oct 2007

Not sure if you are aware ... but the UK Genesis releases - at least the individual releases I have and the box set listings on Amazon.co.uk seams to confirm the box sets do too - contain both Hybrid SACD and also a DVD with DTS24/96 version (and some video extras).

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"