X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ak77
    • Jun 2008

CDP-102 not responding

Hi all

I tried to upgrade the MPEG software of my cdp-102 to version 0.199.14.2. Everything happened as normal, i got the screen flashing and then green screen in the end. After turning it off to complete the installation process, the unit just would not start up now. Its not responding at all. No LED, no activity, just dead. :cry:

Has anyone had this problem before? Would updating the firmware fix this issue? Or should I take it to Classe service team to get this fixed?

Many thanks
    Andy
    System 1: B&W: 803S; Classe CAP-2100, CDP-102, Chord: Anthem 2 interconnect, Epic super twin cables

System 2: B&W: 685, Rotel: RA-05; Denon 3910; Denon DAB 1800 tuner; Merlin Choppin & Atlas Equator MKII interconnects.
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hi ak77,

is whit a "chain" Classe ?
    well, from what you write you don't have electricity on the unit! --> No led
    = 99% fuse is break!!
    1. the player is in protection?
    2. if no back to classe service!

what is happens?

Style

Comment

• ak77
      • Jun 2008

Hi Style

I have checked both the fuses, the one in the unit just below the on/off switch and the other in the cable head.

I was actually updating the MPEG software of the cd player. I burnt the new .UPD file into a CD and ran the standard procedure to update software but it went dead after I turned it off. It did not turn on at all.

so its either the the cd did was corrupted due to which the data could not be completely read by the CD player or I did something wrong. Is there anything I can do now to mend this problem? otherwise I will have to ring Classe service team tomorrow.

Thanks
      Andy
      System 1: B&W: 803S; Classe CAP-2100, CDP-102, Chord: Anthem 2 interconnect, Epic super twin cables

System 2: B&W: 685, Rotel: RA-05; Denon 3910; Denon DAB 1800 tuner; Merlin Choppin & Atlas Equator MKII interconnects.

Comment

• ak77
        • Jun 2008

hi guys, just to let you know, It was just a blown fuse after all. although it looked okay to naked eye with no break in wire or black color you usually associate with blown fuse, a new fuse fixed the problem

Thanks

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Hi ak77,

like wrote....was the fuse....

is not easy see if the fuse is not good without a tester...-> fuse are in grey ceramic in europa....

but well a new fuse and is all ok
          BUT what do you have made to break the fuse?
          -surcharge electricity?
          - no ventilation?

Style

Comment

• ak77
            • Jun 2008

i dont really know what caused the fuse break. i live in UK and the fuse here come in a transparent glass tube so I could see the wire clearly which looked okay.

Apparently after I turned on the player using the switch in the rear, it caused the fuse to blow off. It happened again when I got the CD player from Classe factory

I have changed the fuse and now its working fine. but it seems a bit delicate that just turning the player on or off using the rear button causes the fuse to go off. its a bit odd to see how delicate these systems can be.

Comment

• planitismetal
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ak77
              i dont really know what caused the fuse break. i live in UK and the fuse here come in a transparent glass tube so I could see the wire clearly which looked okay.

Apparently after I turned on the player using the switch in the rear, it caused the fuse to blow off. It happened again when I got the CD player from Classe factory

I have changed the fuse and now its working fine. but it seems a bit delicate that just turning the player on or off using the rear button causes the fuse to go off. its a bit odd to see how delicate these systems can be.

I think that you should communicate with your dealer or directly with Classe, because I'm affraid you have a bigger problem!!! It is not usual that you have blown off two fuses!!! Something's going wrong!!!!!

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

@planitismetal,

Sorry but he have changed 1 fuse not 2 pieces.

That's right ak77??

planitismetal
                A fuse (1) can break faster from what you think.... if are 2 fuse I agree with you: not usual & you have a big problem....

Style

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

The only thing I have to add is Style is 100% correct about checking Buss type fuses. They frequently break at the joint at the metal end and it's not visible through the glass. Also , if the wire flashes and a section carbonizes but doesn't break , it's not easily seen. :T
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• planitismetal
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ak77

I think that means 2 times the same fuse... I have hifi stuff 20 years and I have never changed any fuse!

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Hi,

well ak77, what's happen really?

is not normal so a fuse go break only with the below on/off.

the fuse is a protection for the unit. 1 can be a "normaly" surcharge of tension" but 2 fuse in so little time (and with the same procedur!?)
                      uhmm....
                      Or your electricity system don't work good or the cdp10 have a problem! -> only the cd player go "out" -> The player have a problem, well possible.

@planitismetal:
                      I drive the car for 20 years without incidents: then 2 accidents a 1 year!
                      is possible, this does not mean 100% that there is a problem :W :W
                      and in your system a PS premier?! is attacched at the all system, power ampli included!!

I have had a fuse break with a power ampi: repair send my 1 (one) fuse not 2 or 3: if the system with a new fuse work good is "normal" but if the power ampli go "out" with the new fuse send the unit to the labor-repair center....this was the explication..

Style

Comment

• planitismetal
                        • Dec 2008

@"style"

I never said that it has to be a problem!!! But if it was my CDP-102, and 2 fuses blown up with on-off, then I would be too suspicious!!! It is more common to blow up the fuse of an amp than of a cd player... This is what makes me worry about...

Comment

• ak77
                          • Jun 2008

I know its very suspicious to have two blown fuses in such a short time span. Howver I have decided to let it run for a few more days to see if there is any other problem. If the problem resurfaces in another form, then I will def take it back.

Luckliy my workplace is quite close to Classe UK distribution centre - B&W factory in Worthing UK. So I can anyday storm into their factory and get me a new piece :B :a>

Comment

• ak77
                            • Jun 2008

update

Last week I had another blown fuse...I guess fourth or fifth in less than a month (have lost count now). My better half had to turn off power for the satelite receiver but she turned everything off from the main switch. So after power was back up, all equipments came back on except my CDP-102. So it was another blown fuse.

Anyway, took it to Classe factory on Monday, they changed the power unit on the CD player and have also put some heavy duty fuses (T fuse I think its called??). Anyway, have abused my player, turned it on-off a few times and it seems ok now.

So hopefully the problem is resolved now. Fingers crossed. Time to sit and enjoy !! :coffee:

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"