anyone with a classe pre consider the DVDO edge?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

anyone with a classe pre consider the DVDO edge?

It seems quite affordable and might bridge the gap of a video scaler and would add more hdmi inputs for the future... I read up a little on it and am not sure if it is worth it or not. It seems a lot of people have gotten them to much success. stuck between a rock and a hard place. anyone have experience?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

I have had DVDO products in the past and have been pretty happy with them. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If its mainly HDMI inputs I would get a switcher (5x1) from monoprice for $35.00. HDMI 1.4 is around the corning so investing in a high priced component for switching may not be the best idea.

If you are mainly concerned with DVD upconversion quality then I would buy the Oppo since if has the Edge video processing built in.

I you are looking to improve lots of different SD sources then it may be worth while to go for the edge.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Nolan B
      I have had DVDO products in the past and have been pretty happy with them. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If its mainly HDMI inputs I would get a switcher (5x1) from monoprice for $35.00. HDMI 1.4 is around the corning so investing in a high priced component for switching may not be the best idea.

If you are mainly concerned with DVD upconversion quality then I would buy the Oppo since if has the Edge video processing built in.

I you are looking to improve lots of different SD sources then it may be worth while to go for the edge.
      I just ordered my first 1080p projector (Sony HW-10). Blu-Ray and HDDVD are the only 2 sources I have that support 1080p and I've read that the built in scaler is just OK. I'd like something for my digital cable, SD and HD to potentially clean it up when converting it to 1080p as well as my Wii and Xbox. I have only watched 6 SD DVD's in the theater room in 3 years, so DVD is not a priority.

Is it a waiste of money, or will I get value from it?

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Thats a tough call...

For me I live with the fact SD TV always looks like cr@p. The edge wont do much in that regard IMO.

how can they be had for in your area?

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Nolan B
          Thats a tough call...

For me I live with the fact SD TV always looks like cr@p. The edge wont do much in that regard IMO.

how can they be had for in your area?
          amazon.com.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
            • May 2008

I have the Edge and run my cable signal through it...I like it and think it makes a difference. I wouldn't recomend it for Nolan as the Pioneer's have great upscalers and with a 60 it isn't going to make that much difference, but with the 119" screen I find the SD TV as well as 720p/1080i looks a lot better on the big screen (through my JVC Rs2)with the Edge in place. They are pretty reasonable these days...check with AVS, they gave me a very good deal on mine.
            Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

DVDO builds good equipment but for what I have heard the Edge is not so "great".
              @KahunaCanuck
              well I have a 60" Kuro and with my Pioneer lx91/09 and Denon3800bd all with the SSP800 and a Hdmi cable to the Kuro I don't will "break" the signal with a DVDO Edge between my gears..

With a beamer the "big brother 50pro and sofware" make sure the difference but what the Ege give you is not a big improvement....

The HDMI "standard" will change to fast for the market and for a consumer is a run over the 100meters with Ben Johson.

A lot of another good products are available (cinemateq, pixelmagicsistem(was Crystalio), Lumagenspatz....) but almost all of these brands go bankrupt because the market changes so fast !!!
              A consumer buys a new scaler from $.4000~ every 6 months - 1 year !
              -->(in addition to all the sources that must be compatible..)

Style
              Last edited by style; 17 June 2009, 07:09 Wednesday.

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I called AVS based on this recommendation and was told that I was considering too many changes at one time. That I should just wait until after the projector is installed and see what I think.

I like the honesty they provided. That it wasn't just about making a quick sale. They were more expensive than amazon though...

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                  • May 2008

Interesting...

I know I rarely want to look at SD channels these days regardless on the big screen...bluray certainly spoils us! When do you get the Sony?
                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                    Interesting...

I know I rarely want to look at SD channels these days regardless on the big screen...bluray certainly spoils us! When do you get the Sony?
                    Sony is supposed to come in tomorrow but I won't be able to put it in the system until saturday most likely.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                      • May 2008

Did you get your Sony hooked up?
                      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                        Did you get your Sony hooked up?
                        I did. I am VERY happy with it. I hesitated for a long time to make the leap to 1080p from 720p. The biggest difference I noticed was how much brighter the new projector is. The Sanyo is really dim and requires a really dark room (at least in the color mode I was using).

I calibrated it to DVE and OOTB it was very close. Absolutely no buyers remorse and a welcomed upgrade to the system!

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                          • May 2008

Congrats! Maybe we can start a big screen photo thread somewhere!
                          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"