X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drallan
    • Mar 2009

What would your choice be?

I have just setup my new system (friggin excited!) and have a question. Please go easy on me because I'm a newbie. My CD is a CDP300 and is hooked to an SSP800 in 2 ways. The first is with balanced Virtual Dynamics Revelation XLR analog interconnects as well as an Audioquest HMDI-3 digital cable. The audio is slightly different between the two, both 2channel and I can't decide which is preferrable. The XLRs seem more accurate but the HDMI seems more open, if that makes sense. It's fed to B&W 800 Signatures, each with CAM400s.
    Thanx
  • garak
    • Jul 2007

Congrats on the new system!

Well there isn't really a right answer on this, except go with whatever you like better. Since you haven't decided which you like better, I suggest spending more time listening. Eventually, I think you'll figure out which you prefer.

Personally, I prefer accuracy, but to each his own.

Comment

• Oddiophile
      • Jul 2008

Hi drallan,

Congratulations on a fabulous system!

As a prospective SSP-800 owner and a current CA-M400 and B&W 802D owner, I asked the same question of both Classe and my dealer. Both said that they thought the HDMI would be better because of the greater bandwidth. Normally HDMI is problematic because of high jitter rates. These problems have little to do with HDMI itself but rather the implementation. In the case of the SSP-800, the implementation is quite superb as demonstrated by the incredible jitter rejection specs that you will find in the "first official review" thread.

Ultimately, your ears should be the determining factor. Your system is set up so you can make a thorough comparison. Indeed there is no reason why you could not keep both connections and configure separate inputs to use whichever one suits both your mood and the particular recording.

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Since the money is already spent, there is 0 cost to use either. Experiment. You might find you like some recordings with one connection better than the other. Ultimately, there is no right answer.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"