X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LexiconLogan
    • Apr 2009

SSP800 <> CDP502

Just a query;

How would you ideally connect your CDP502 to your SSP800?

Thank you in advance!
  • garak
    • Jul 2007

I would connect it with both xlr cables and an HDMI cable. That way you can choose to either have the CDP-502 or the SSP-800 do the processing.

Comment

• planitismetal
      • Dec 2008

For audio or video?
      For audio XLR (for stereo) and for video HDMI

Comment

• LexiconLogan
        • Apr 2009

What about HDMI for Video and digital COAX for audio?

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
          • Dec 2002

HDMI has lot's of JITTER. It's that the reason for choosing both HDMI and COAX connection?

I'm curious if you choose the 502 as a transport of as CD player, and why
          ------------------------------------------------------
          Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi LexiconLogan,
            Go with a Hdmi cable. viedo & pictures.
            Your SSP800 will be have on the display "Discrete". is the BEST setting for the SSP.

well if you go use the XLR input for a "simply" cd player Ok, but the coax. for the audio and hdmi for video give you a "DTS 3/2.1 (mc) or so like that...
            (always with DVD-disc) but the best sound is the on the PCM-LPCM....
            Set your SSP800 for every dvd-player with "Discrete" and not DDprologic, DTS Neo,.... Don't pay.

greetings Omar
            Last edited by style; 19 May 2009, 18:20 Tuesday.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by LexiconLogan
              What about HDMI for Video and digital COAX for audio?
              That's precisely how I would do it.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

That's precisely how I would do it.
                Yes is how I have made with every other pre.

with certains (dvd) players this choice don't pay or wel is very not audible the difference between Hdmi and Coax.

With a CDP502 to listen music (CD) I agree with you -> coax. but with with a
                BD player like the Pioneer LX91/09 I dont wlll attach the coax cable.

Style

Comment

• LexiconLogan
                  • Apr 2009

thanks all, so far

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                    • Aug 2008

I have that setup and I can confirm that best performance for CD is with XLR analog connections with the SSP800 in Bypass mode...and HDMI(video)/coax digital (audio) for DVD...in discrete mode

Comment

• LexiconLogan
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Tylercoupe
                      I have that setup and I can confirm that best performance for CD is with XLR analog connections with the SSP800 in Bypass mode...and HDMI(video)/coax digital (audio) for DVD...in discrete mode
                      Super thanks!

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Hi Tylercoupe,

Soryy but i don't understand how you can set the SSP800 with the same configuration with XLR (7.1 bypass) and hdmi+coax. ???

You made 2 inout or 2 configuration...
                        1 with XLR, 2 channel to listen ONLY music and the other Hdmi+coax. for movies or concert....
                        But Hdmi+coax. you must with every dvd that you put on the cdp502 change the selection on the SSP to have the "discrete". Discrete and Coax cable give on your SSP display DTS 3/2.1 (mc) and not discrete well??

style

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Would you be willing to give your opinion on digital vs analog on the CDP-502 as either a transport or a player connected to the SSP-800 and quantify it? share with us the differences you noticed between each, how you setup the test and where each had their strengths and the weaknesses of each.

I think that information could be useful for people thinking of travelling down this path.

thanks!
                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                            • Aug 2008

Style

I use two separate inputs for this setup and use two separate configurations.

1- DVD, is set up for HDMI video input and coax audio input...the mode automatically selected as DTS discrete or Dolby Digital discrete depending on the DVD. This input uses a multichannel configuration with 5.1 speakers set up...I also use the trigger function to turn on both the 2200 and the 3200.

2- CD, is set up with no video...balanced audio in for analog...and bypass select to keep signal in analog throughout SSP800. This input uses and 2.0 channel configuration and the trigger only turns on the 2200.

I did disable "Playlink" as that would cause the system to turn on only one of the two inputs everytime I turned the 502 on.

First off, the 502 is an excellent player...my dealer offered a deal to purchase the 502 at 50% off when I purchased the SSP800...I received one of the beta versions of the 800 last august. I am extremely happy with the video quality of the 502 and the sound through the SSP800 is awesome. As a note...I do not believe in audio going through HDMI...and to be honest I prefer DVI connections for video.

I have tried listening to CDs through both inputs but prefer the bypass mode more. I think having the SSP800 turn off most of its digital circuitry and function only as a analog preamp helps...staging is pinpoint and balance and neutrality are spot on. I think the SSP800 processor when converting 2 channel through coax tends to exggarate the soundstage slightly compared to the bypass mode...although both offer a very clear picture into the performance.

My reference system is a AR Ref 2 preamp, SME 20 turntable with Titan i cartridge and ARS Exclusive phono, Naim CDS3/555 CD, Levinson amp and Thiel 7.2 speakers...the 502/800 in analog comes very close to this system. And for multichannel...the 502/800 can't be beat (realize the Blueray proponents will descend upon me). I also have compared to a Proceed AVP2/CVP2 using a Dennon 5900 DVD and Levinson 390S...with Proceed/Levinson amps and Thiel 7.2...which is in the downstairs play room. The Proceed is a great audio processor...especially on two channel...but sounds just slightly darker than neutral when compared to the 502/800.

hope this helps
                            Last edited by Tylercoupe; 21 May 2009, 18:05 Thursday.

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                              • Aug 2008

Style...to clarify the SSP800 offers the flexibility to store the setup I described into each discrete "source"...so the only thing I have to do to change is change the source input...which I do with one of the 4 blue buttons on the bottom of the remote.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

First off, the 502 is an excellent player...my dealer offered a deal to purchase the 502 at 50% off when I purchased the SSP800...I received one of the beta versions of the 800 last august. I am extremely happy with the video quality of the 502 and the sound through the SSP800 is awesome. As a note...I do not believe in audio going through HDMI...and to be honest I prefer DVI connections for video.
                                While I'm not exactly sure what DVI has to do with the conversation, I will agree that it was a better connector. Like most things in life, often times the inferior product is decided upon. As far as audio going through HDMI, I respect your opinion, and will not attempt to sway it - but fail to comprehend any reasoning behind it.

I have tried listening to CDs through both inputs but prefer the bypass mode more. I think having the SSP800 turn off most of its digital circuitry and function only as a analog preamp helps...staging is pinpoint and balance and neutrality are spot on. I think the SSP800 processor when converting 2 channel through coax tends to exggarate the soundstage slightly compared to the bypass mode...although both offer a very clear picture into the performance.
                                The SSP-800 has a fantastic analog by-pass, and can certainly hold its own with the best of the 2 channel pre-amps out there. I certainly understand why you would conclude that the 502 is better in analog by-pass, my question was, how much better?

I'm afraid that your comments represent that you have a bias and that you aren't really interested in doing an objective test to help others understand the differences and the pros and cons of each. that is fine.

The fact will be, some things the 502 will do better, some things the SSP-800 will do better and some things will be undescernable. Where that difference lies is what will be important for people trying to make an independent decision. btw, the 502 should be better. it is designed for that purpose.

And for multichannel...the 502/800 can't be beat
                                Does the 502 play DVD-A? I believe it does. If you haven't listened to DVD-A/SACD you still haven't heard what the SSP-800 is even close to capable of. Not even scratched the surface. I recommend either "The Beatles Love" DVD-A or "The Doors of perception" boxset.

(realize the Blueray proponents will descend upon me).
                                dare I ask why you are so defensive? What do you have against the capabilities of blu-ray?

Comment

• Tylercoupe
                                  • Aug 2008

In general...I enjoy listening to female vocals and small scall jazz...(piano, sax and female voice are three of my favorite instruments) I listen to quite a bit of live music...and when listening at home...prefer a solid soundstage and natural presentation...less concerned about deep lows or extended highs...although the speed of delivery and accuracy of decay matter in my perception of neutrality. That is my bias...not sure how you perceive it to be anything other than that...if you value what I describe above...I suggest the 502 in bypass will sound better.

I suggest you listen to audio through HDMI and then a high quality coax or AES/EBU connector...I feel strongly you will reach the same conclusion I do...if not...then my opinion shouldn't influence you.

I am not interested in any critical music listening in multichannel mode...it does not sound natural...to me anyway...others are free to disagree

With regard to higher resolution two channel media...I have listened and listened but have never found a reason to buy it...24/96 digital I do like but the other high rez formats increase my fatigue and over time sound artificial...it may just be the musice I like that does this...I have a lot of live listening experience as my reference. As far as BluRay...I am not a big video guy...much prefer to keep the projector off and listen.

If this is not much help...sorry

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

I don't see any reason in going tit-for-tat with you. You have your opinion and that is fine.

I am not interested in any critical music listening in multichannel mode...it does not sound natural...to me anyway...others are free to disagree
                                    The doors box set has a 2 channel option for DVD-A.

Comment

• style
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Feb 2006

Hallo Tylercoupe,

Ok, right now you have "write" how do you have the setting, and is was I thinked. You have 2 differente setting. at first mail I have understand that you have XLR, Hdmi&Coax. all together!!! yes, I was...i have a SSP800&CA5200 too. for the cd-dvd setting is all "clear". :T

Interessing is the you go on the "ON" position with the SSP800 & CA2200 with the CA3200 in stand-by.
                                      This metod is like the "Krell Theater Throughput": wenn I are in 2 channel the others channels don't "work" . this give with the Krell ampli a more melody, dinamyc sound....
                                      With the Classe give better "sound" with the SSP&CA22 at work and the CA32 in stand-by?

For my system I go see for a extra CA2200, this setting with option to make work "only" the channel at the moment request if pay in quality is a good thing.

Tlease give me a feed back as this point.(PM?)

greetings Omar

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"