X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ligald
    • Feb 2009

Passive attenuators

Hi,
    Is anyone using passive analog attenuators (on RCA or XLR plugs) with Classé power amps? In particular the Scott Endler's attenuators?

Thanks. Ligald
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Curious, why do you ask?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Ligald
      • Feb 2009

Because the output voltage of my source is quite high and requires some passive attenuation in order to improve the matching with the amplifier input sensitivity. Most of the CD players output > 2 Vrms when the input sensitivity of the amplifiers is generally much lower (1.6 Vrms for the Classé amp)

This is a very frequent "issue" that most of the people simply do not take into consideration. This problem appears when a small change of the volume knob position produces a large change in the sound volume level. This is non desirable as you make working your pre-amplifier in a non-optimal region (the best linearity is obtained when the volume knob is at twelve o'clock).

Ligald

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

I'm not so sure this is a "frequent" issue. I have owned many CD player/preamp/amp combinations in the past and never had such an issue. Preamp/amp mismatch is a more common problem. Audio-Technica makes an inline XLR attenuator with three attenuation levels that you may want to look into. I only know of the product and haven't used it or heard it in use, so I can't comment on performance and whether or not it might degrade sound.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"