X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

Problem with CA-M400

Hi all,

Today my CA-400 amp refused to go out of standby. It very briefly turns on and then reverts to standby.

I tried unplugging everything and letting it sit for over an hour and still the same thing happens. This occurrence doesn't seem to be covered it the troubleshooting section of the manual.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

Hi Jim. Sorry to hear about your problem. I have a Classe Delta utilty that can help diagnose your problem. I use to work for a Classe dealer and this was a helpful tool to figure out problems in the field.

Send me a private email and I'll send you the PDF instruction and the zip file. Naturally, it will only diagnose your problem and not fix it but at least you can figure out what the hell is going on. You'll need a computer with a serial port and a pin to pin RS232 cable. Just follow the instruction on the PDF. :T
    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• 1oldguy
      • Dec 2008

With my Purchase of amps drawing ever nearer this certainly is of interest to me.I would hope you keep us informed as to what happens.
      And sorry to hear you are having troubles.May I ask how old is your amp?
      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Oddiophile
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by 1oldguy
        With my Purchase of amps drawing ever nearer this certainly is of interest to me.I would hope you keep us informed as to what happens.
        And sorry to hear you are having troubles.May I ask how old is your amp?
        Yes, I will certainly keep you informed.

The amp is 3 1/2 years old and has been used to drive my B&W HTM2D. How ironic is it that it conks out just before my new HTM1D is supposed to arrive.

I must say I do really like the sound of the Classe. Altogether I have 3 CA-M400s. I used to have the equivalent Krells and the Classe was a great improvement and a much better match for the B&W 802Ds.

Jim

Comment

• 1oldguy
          • Dec 2008

2 Questions.....

Since I am new to all this....You will have to forgive the noob in me. :T

(1)How long is the Warranty ON their amps?
          (2)Where is they are manufactured?

Warranty is a big issue for myself.I wont be in a position to buy amps again.
          I am on the fence between Bryston 20 year Warrenty and Classe.
          And now with the Brystons getting a revamp it has make me consider them once again.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Classe's warranty on all of their components is 5 years from date of purchase or 7 years from date of manufacture, which ever comes first. The exceptions are the DVD and CD players. They have 3 year warranties.

Eric

Comment

• hd99yr
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
              Classe's warranty on all of their components is 5 years from date of purchase or 7 years from date of manufacture, which ever comes first. The exceptions are the DVD and CD players. They have 3 year warranties.

Eric
              is the warranty transferable?
              " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hd99yr
                is the warranty transferable?
                As long as you have a copy of the original invoice you will have a warranty. If you purchased an amp used you just need to get a copy of the original invoice from the person you purchased it from. Beyond that Classe doesn't have a warranty transfer program.

Eric

Comment

• 1oldguy
                  • Dec 2008

HI Hifiguymi

I have a noob question but figure why not ask....Have to learn sometime.
                  After the 5 Years is up on said amp from classie I am wondering just how long a period will they continue to repair their gear after warranty is up .I am really debating with going with the Ca-m 400.
                  I realize I would have to pay for the repairs after the 5 years........But I need am amp that the company would be willing to repair for a long time.
                  Again I am new to this and reason why not ask.That's why the Bryston is on my list, that and the fact that Classe and Bryston are the two major companies my dealer can get.
                  Last edited by 1oldguy; 16 April 2009, 11:05 Thursday.

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

HI Hifiguymi

I have a noob question but figure why not ask....Have to learn sometime.
                    After the 5 Years is up on said amp from classie I am wondering just how long a period will they continue to repair their gear after warranty is up .I am really debating with going with the Ca-m 400.
                    I realize I would have to pay for the repairs after the 5 years........But I need am amp that the company would be willing to repair for a long time.
                    Again I am new to this and reason why not ask.That's why the Bryston is on my list, that and the fact that Classe and Bryston are the two major companies he can get.
                    One of my amps is 10 years old, and they serviced some internal issues I was having, as well as refurbished the back of the case as I requested. The amp came back to me in like new condition, and the charges were only about $300-350.

They said they would service my amp, no matter how old it was, and to my surprise, they also have a stockpile of parts on hand or will fabricate a new part if neccessary.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                      • Dec 2008

Thanks Beden..........This does help my fears.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Thanks Beden..........This does help my fears.
                        No much can go wrong with an amp which is why Bryston Warranty 20Years :T

I have a 12 year old Parasound always on! Built like a tank and still delivering
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• 1oldguy
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Oddiophile
                          Hi all,

Today my CA-400 amp refused to go out of standby. It very briefly turns on and then reverts to standby.

I tried unplugging everything and letting it sit for over an hour and still the same thing happens. This occurrence doesn't seem to be covered it the troubleshooting section of the manual.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Wondering how things went with your AMP?

Comment

• Oddiophile
                            • Jul 2008

I contacted classe about my amp and they suggested a software reload for the amp. I got the reload to work but it did not solve the problem with the amp so I have to send it in.

I am now waiting for the idiots from UPS to pick it up. They did not come when they were supposed to on Friday (grrrrrr).

My HTM1D speaker is supposed to arrive at my dealer's in Edmonton sometime this week. They have agreed to break in the speaker using one of their own amps while I am waiting for my CA-M400 to be repaired so at least I should save a lot of time on the breakin of the speaker.

I will try to find out exactly what is wrong with the amp once Classe gets their hands on it. As far as I can tell, nobody has experienced these kinds of symptoms with their amps.

Jim

Comment

• 1oldguy
                              • Dec 2008

Thanks for the update....I was wondering how you made out.
                              That's one nice center you have coming.
                              As I said I am considering the same amp so I am looking at this with interest.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                • Jul 2008

Thanks for the update....I was wondering how you made out.
                                That's one nice center you have coming.
                                As I said I am considering the same amp so I am looking at this with interest.
                                I used to have the equivalent Krell Amps and the Classe amps are vastly superior. The sound with the B&Ws is much more natural as opposed to the bass-heavy slightly harsh sound of the Krells. Furthermore, the Classe amps run much cooler. Besides, the Classes look much better than the Krells and they won't attack you when you try to handle them (the fins on the Krell are really sharp). LOL

I would imagine that most people on this forum would agree that the Classe amps are just about the best amps for the B&W speakers. This is not surprising given the close relationship between the two companies. There are other amps (Macintosh comes to mind) that are also an excellent match but you can't go wrong with the Classe.

Your system looks really neat. Do you intend to expand to a 7 channel system and if so what are you considering. Like you I have the ASW855 but I have 2 of them. Are you thinking of getting another one? The Kuro is a fantastic TV and is a great choice, especially now that Pioneer will soon be ceasing production.

By the way, what are you using for a processor/receiver?

Jim

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Oddiophile
                                  I used to have the equivalent Krell Amps and the Classe amps are vastly superior. The sound with the B&Ws is much more natural as opposed to the bass-heavy slightly harsh sound of the Krells. Furthermore, the Classe amps run much cooler. Besides, the Classes look much better than the Krells and they won't attack you when you try to handle them (the fins on the Krell are really sharp). LOL

I would imagine that most people on this forum would agree that the Classe amps are just about the best amps for the B&W speakers. This is not surprising given the close relationship between the two companies. There are other amps (Macintosh comes to mind) that are also an excellent match but you can't go wrong with the Classe.

Your system looks really neat. Do you intend to expand to a 7 channel system and if so what are you considering. Like you I have the ASW855 but I have 2 of them. Are you thinking of getting another one? The Kuro is a fantastic TV and is a great choice, especially now that Pioneer will soon be ceasing production.

By the way, what are you using for a processor/receiver?

Jim

Hi

I bought the speakers and tv at the same time 4 months ago.That's all I have at the Moment.I have no previous gear,so I have not heard any of the speakers yet.I haven't even used the T.V either.I am in the process of deciding on the rest of my system and thanks to the decent folks here on this site I am learning.As I have mentioned in a previous post I have to buy before I can try.
                                  It comes down between Bryston or Classe To power my system.You seem very happy with your sound which is great as others here love their cam 400 amps.
                                  As a side note ....Being new to all this,as well for now I am renting It never dawned on me that one of my biggest problems would be electricity.Meaning I only have access to the regular 15 amp lines.So I may just get enough amps for now for Both my 802D's and Center.And put the 802D"S back in their boxes till a further time down the road that it may be possible for me to do what I first intended.
                                  To answer your question I would love at some point for 7.1 but even 5.1 is maybe not doable considering the power requirements.
                                  Good things come to those who wait.At least that's the plan.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                    • Jul 2008

Hi all,

Update on CA-M400 problem.

It turns out that a capacitor went on the main circuit board and the board has to be replaced. If I am lucky I will get it back sometime this week or early next week. The new HTM1D that it is supposed to drive should arrive sometime next week as well.

Next step is to try to audition an SSP-800.

Jim

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                      • Dec 2008

This is good news.your going to love that center.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                        • Jul 2008

Hi all,

Just to report that my amplifier came back today and works just fine. One thing I learned is that a dedicated centre channel is much better than a phantom one.

Thanks go to Tom at Classe for his excellent service. I learned a lot about Classe products and what to expect in various configurations. The hardest part was navigating the B&W/Classe phone system to get an RI. That process should be much easier than it was.

Following Tom's advice, I am trying to arrange an audition of the SSP-800 and a bi-amped (CA-M400s) configuration of B&W 802Ds at Premier Audio in Edmonton, a 350 mile (5 1/2 hour) drive from here in Saskatoon.

Thanks for all the comments.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"