Which cd player you are using wiht your Classe amp...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • altanpsx
    • Nov 2008

Which cd player you are using wiht your Classe amp...

I am on the market for buying a new cd player for my Classe Cap-2100. I am considering cdp-202, but I also think that maybe a tube cd player or a cd player playing more analog will give a magic to my system. Which cd player you are using with your Classe, and what would you recommend ?
  • SwainDtV
    • Sep 2008

I have a dedicated CD player in my system. The Arcam FMJ CD36 is connected - both analog and digital - to my SSP800. At first I prefered analog; now digital (coaxial).

After trading in my Proceed PMDT for a Lexicon RT-20 I had lost some of my 2 channel sound experience. The Arcam FMJ CD36 was able to close that gap.

Now I'm deciding if my Pioneer BDP-LX91 (09FD) can replace the Arcam. This would give me space to install a power re-generator.

Ab

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by altanpsx
      I am on the market for buying a new cd player for my Classe Cap-2100. I am considering cdp-202, but I also think that maybe a tube cd player or a cd player playing more analog will give a magic to my system. Which cd player you are using with your Classe, and what would you recommend ?
      I'd recommend that you keep your eyes out for a used CDP-100 on Audiogon. You should be able to pick one up for around $1500 and it will support CAN-BUS and PlayLink.

I was EXTREMELY happy with this CDP and highly recommend it.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

If you were thinking of the CDP-202 (new or used) then I'd look at that instead of a CDP-100 or CDP-102. It's a wonderful CD player. As for other brands, there are a lot out there so I'd try to listen to them if possible before you buy. System matching is pretty important.

Eric

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Marantz Reference SA-11S2, currently ranked class A in the April 2009 issue of Stereophile. I concur about listening before you buy.

Comment

• Classe4me
            • Dec 2007

Do you care anything about DVD playback as well? If so, the CDP-300 is a great choice because it will upconvert your DVDs to 1080p and has the same CD player components found in the CDP-102, which I believe was supposed to be a mild improvement over the CDP-100. For the more seasoned Classe people, if this is a misstatement please correct me. I tried to research and find the differences between the two and didn't find anything helpful.

My point is, I have seen CDP-300s sell as cheaply as $1995 and for that small of a difference and have a more modern, state of the art source player that will play CDs and DVDs it seems a small price to pay. I can say that the picture quality from that player is phenomenal and from a relative seating position is difficult to distinguish between Blu-ray.

By no means am I saying it's as good as Blu-ray, especially if you are within a few feet, but at a distance or 10 to 15 feet you would have trouble seeing much difference.

You rarely see CDP-100s listed and there seem to always be some CDP-300s out there for sale that people are motivated to sell.

Happy hunting and enjoy your Classe gear!

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hifiguymi
              If you were thinking of the CDP-202 (new or used) then I'd look at that instead of a CDP-100 or CDP-102. It's a wonderful CD player. As for other brands, there are a lot out there so I'd try to listen to them if possible before you buy. System matching is pretty important.

Eric
              The DACs in the CDP-100(202,502) are Burr-Brown. The ones in the CDP-100(300) are wolfson. Do you know if you have a preference? That is a good way to eliminate.

For the price, the CDP-100 is awesome. I believe the going rate on Audiogon for the 202 is around $3000.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

I really don't look at who makes the DACs in a piece of gear. As long as the DACs are implemented properly and the analog section is done right. Since there isn't a piece of gear, at least none that I know of, that has both to compare, who knows if a Burr Brown sounds better than a Wolfson or vice versa. I honestly don't have that much experience with the CDP-100 but I know the CDP-102 and the CDP-202. The CDP-202 is one of the best CD players I've heard. I've seen a few good deals on Audiogon on the CDP-202.

Eric

Comment

• altanpsx
                  • Nov 2008

You all right, I did not mention that I will use this cd player only for cd's. Also I had find a chance to demo these cd players,

Bryston bcd-1
                  exposure mcx
                  plinius cd-101
                  ayon cd-1s
                  bel canto pl-1a
                  acustic arts integrated cd player
                  jadis senfonia

Ayon is a valve cd player and has a very different sound. Exposure is very good cd player, bryston is a bargain for it's price...

Any more ideas ??

Comment

• Joawen
                    • Mar 2006

I use Musical Fidelity A5 CD but strangely enough i use it as transport and use the X-DAC v.3 instead as DAC and it sounds nice.

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Halllo,

for a great ampli like Classe a great player like DCS Puccini. :T

Style

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

I don't own a Classé amp but I support Joawen in his use of an external DAC. I use an LFD DAC3 and it's lovely.

Who knows, one day I might be lucky enough to use it in combination with a Classé amp!

Nigel.

Comment

• altanpsx
                          • Nov 2008

Today I listened MBL cd players. 1431 in my range and it sounds good. I think I will start my home demo with Ayon and MBL 1431. They are cheaper than the others. If I am lucky and one of it blends well.

Also today I listened MBL 1622 SACD Transport and DA-C 1611F. These are the best combo I have ever listened. I think they are better then famous sacrlettis. If you can find a chance for listening, better use it

Comment

• skuzzyb
                            • Mar 2006

How much do you want to spend on a CD player?

I went out with every intention of purchasing the Classe CDP300 but after listening to others I decided to take another route and get a dedicated CD player and a dedicated DVD player. I listen primarily to two channel so wanted a CD player that was designed to do that very well. After listening to what seemed like over 100, and comparing prices, my evaluation led to the Cambridge Audio 840C.

I just could not justify spending more as I could not hear enough difference between the CA and the Classe CDP100, CDP300 , Arcam FMJ or the Musical Fidelity. There was one CD player that I did hear a difference but my set-up would not allow it and that was the Audio Research Reference CD7 player (Now CD8). Unfortunately it was a bit much and also was a top loader so it was more or less deferred until I can come up with a plan to make it fit in my space.

skz
                            Last edited by skuzzyb; 02 April 2009, 21:01 Thursday. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Aquarius
                              • Oct 2008

I'm listening music using CDP-102 which I found to be very balanced sounding player. Let me put it this way... On scale from 1-5 it does everything for 4 rather then 5, but then again it makes it candidate for long time companion.

On US or Canada SH market, it's absolute bargain.
                              Last edited by Aquarius; 03 April 2009, 11:47 Friday.

Comment

• altanpsx
                                • Nov 2008

I am in Europe, and Classe is a very expensive equipment here. Also there are lots of other high end brands here for the same money. cdp-102 is a very good cd player, but like I said for the money, you have other very good options. I like to change and improve what cap-2100 brought to my system. cdp-102 will not an improvement imo. But a valve cdp like cd7 as mentioned, or Acustic Arts transport and Tube dac, may change the whole attiude of the system and may imrpove it. Maybe the whole system may sound like more analog who knows. Maybe I am running after a dream. But I will try and demoed as much as I can.

Comment

• wxmanunr
                                  • Dec 2008

CDP-10 Into SSP-800 via Coax (nt)

No text.

Comment

• altanpsx
                                    • Nov 2008

At the end I bought Eae Acute Cd player, and also changed stock tubes with NOS Siemens. Now I have the advantages of both tube and solid state. I highly recommend a demo.....

Comment

• style
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Feb 2006

Hi,

And if I go with my PC (maybe Apple?!?), a separate Dac 8like cambridge Dac or Top HEnd Médéa,??) to listen misic?

The CD is dead?

I prefer have a player, normal player, but in the last time the product like Sonos, Mac Mini, Naim, Linn... they go versus a complety digital "gear"...
                                      no more a Great CD player (Classe, McIntosh, DCS Puccini, Edge, Sonn,...)

I really the time to sell all the players that we have at home? :cry: 8O
                                      greeting Style

Comment

• LMAP
                                        • Apr 2009

Hi everybody. I use a Classe CDP 100 and that's my digital CD unit to recommend you. It's really wonderful.
                                        Regards.

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                          • Feb 2006

Atm I'm using benchmark dac1 usb......but I'm thinking on moving to weiss minerva

Comment

• gerardhn
                                            • Jun 2005

I admit as european: Classe players are crazy expensive. Equally ranked players are easily thousands cheaper.
                                            Lets all complain........

Comment

• Alloroc
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2005

I use an Esoteric X-03. A supremely good player.
                                              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Shakespeare
                                                • Mar 2008

If you are using the cd player as a transport and have it feeding into the ssp 800, does it matter whether the transport is a cheap cd player or a top of the range player?

Comment

• wxmanunr
                                                  • Dec 2008

Transport

Shakespeare, that is a good question. From the Q&A with Classe posted in this form and from what I understand, the SSP-800 goes to extraordinary lengths to make sure the incoming signal is clocked correctly. This should mean that the transport makes no difference.

I can tell you the difference between the CDP-10 and the Sony PS3 used as a transport is ZERO. Of course, you have to set options on the PS3 so it doesn't do anything with the signal. Once I did that, I can hear no difference.

wxmanunr

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Shakespeare
                                                    If you are using the cd player as a transport and have it feeding into the ssp 800, does it matter whether the transport is a cheap cd player or a top of the range player?
                                                    I can honestly say, that I heard no appreciable difference between using a CDP-300 ($7000) as a transport and an $800 Mac Mini (used as a music server) when connected to the SSP-800. And I spent several days comparing the two. Even though the CDP-300 was only a few months old when I did the comparison, I sold it off once I realized that the Mac Mini sounded just as good.

Comment

• Shakespeare
                                                      • Mar 2008

I have been advised that I will hear a difference between using my ps3 and a classe cd player even if they are both connected to my ssp 800 via a digital link. Is this theoretically possible? if so how so? Can a good digital player extract more ones and zeros or send a signal with less jitter?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

I have been advised that I will hear a difference between using my ps3 and a classe cd player even if they are both connected to my ssp 800 via a digital link. Is this theoretically possible? if so how so? Can a good digital player extract more ones and zeros or send a signal with less jitter?
                                                        most likely what you will hear is what you want to hear. :W

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                                          I can honestly say, that I heard no appreciable difference between using a CDP-300 ($7000) as a transport and an $800 Mac Mini (used as a music server) when connected to the SSP-800. And I spent several days comparing the two. Even though the CDP-300 was only a few months old when I did the comparison, I sold it off once I realized that the Mac Mini sounded just as good.
                                                          DIGITAL 0=0 and 1=1 that's the theory glad to hear :T
                                                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Shakespeare
                                                            • Mar 2008

So from what you guys say, there is no difference. Perhaps I should spend my hard earned money on something else instead?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2003

So from what you guys say, there is no difference. Perhaps I should spend my hard earned money on something else instead?
                                                              I like my sonos better than the ps3 as an interface... and the itouch/iphone can be used as a controller, which is cheaper than the sonos branded controller.

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                                                • Feb 2006

In (a) theory everything works perfect....
                                                                In reality it's quite a different story!
                                                                That said, when it comes to digital, sound difference doesnt follow the price difference step by step :-)

Comment

• Greg Gale
                                                                  • Nov 2006

I use an Esoteric X-05 which sounds fantastic which is balanced in a true differential mode (dual mono) using two dacs per channel for a total of 4 which blows away my previous Marantz SA14 SACD player. Great build quality and a fantastic transport VRDS made by them.
                                                                  Greg Gale

Main System:
                                                                  802 D2
                                                                  Classe CA2300
                                                                  Ayre K5XEMP
                                                                  Graham Slee Reflex M
                                                                  Esoteric X-05 SACD
                                                                  VPI Classic 3
                                                                  Dynavector X20x2
                                                                  Oppo BDP 95

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2008

Higher jitter in the transport can affect sound quality to some DACs, but it is my experience that the SSP-800 is very good at rejecting jitter, which levels the playing field considerably.

Comment

• Shakespeare
                                                                      • Mar 2008

So if you have some money to spend and you already own an ssp 800 and a ps3, would you spend the spare cash on a classe transport?

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2002

Maybe there's a quality difference between a transport..... ?

There are huge differents between a standard transport and a excellent transport.
                                                                        Last edited by Blue-Eyes; 26 May 2009, 02:48 Tuesday.
                                                                        ------------------------------------------------------
                                                                        Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• LexiconLogan
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2009

So if you have some money to spend and you already own an ssp 800 and a ps3, would you spend the spare cash on a classe transport?
                                                                          I did

Comment

• wxmanunr
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                            • 64

PS3 vs. Classe Transport

Shakespeare, based on what I hear, I would not purchase a Classe Transport for audio quality. Of course, using the PS3 requires the TV to be on - so that is a consideration. But, for pure audio - I can't tell the difference between my CDP-10 and PS3 used as a transport. Rest of my system is a CA-301 and Hales Design Group Transcedence Eights.

There is a thread on this forum talking about how ridiculously low the jitter is with the SSP-800 DACs on both the coax and HDMI connection. Maybe that is why it sounds so good. ?

wxmanunr

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"