X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hberg
    • Apr 2008

Advice on CDT-300?

I realize there are bits of information spread throughout the Classe' Forum, but I want to get some advice on the CDT-300?

Currently, I have SSP-800 but I am using the Denon CDRW-1500 & Denon DVD-2900 for my music and movies. If I was to replace to two Denon components, I am curious if you all think that I would have a significant improvement in my music listening and movie watching with the CDT-300?

Any solid advice or counsel that you all may have is greatly appreciated.

(For any further input you may have, I have include my current set-up below)

Thanks - H'berg

Current Set-up
    Classe' SSP-800
    Classe' CA-3200
    B&W 804S (L&R)
    B&W HTM3S (Center)
    Rotel RMB-1075
    B&W Signature 7 (L&R Surround)
    B&W CCM817 (L&R Surround Back)
    SIM2 Domino 30H
    Stuart 100" Screen
    Playstation 3
    RTI T2C Remote
    Rotel RT-1084
    Denon DVD-2900
    Denon CDRW-1500
    Apple TV
    "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hberg
    I realize there are bits of information spread throughout the Classe' Forum, but I want to get some advice on the CDT-300?

Currently, I have SSP-800 but I am using the Denon CDRW-1500 & Denon DVD-2900 for my music and movies. If I was to replace to two Denon components, I am curious if you all think that I would have a significant improvement in my music listening and movie watching with the CDT-300?

Any solid advice or counsel that you all may have is greatly appreciated.

(For any further input you may have, I have include my current set-up below)

Thanks - H'berg

Current Set-up
    Classe' SSP-800
    Classe' CA-3200
    B&W 804S (L&R)
    B&W HTM3S (Center)
    Rotel RMB-1075
    B&W Signature 7 (L&R Surround)
    B&W CCM817 (L&R Surround Back)
    SIM2 Domino 30H
    Stuart 100" Screen
    Playstation 3
    RTI T2C Remote
    Rotel RT-1084
    Denon DVD-2900
    Denon CDRW-1500
    Apple TV
    I think you know my answer... but before I give it, have you tried ripping any music and streaming it through your apple TV? you'll want to setup a 2 channel configuration (with only L/R speakers, everything else "None") for it and create a new input that connects your apple TV, then apply stereo as the favorite mode.

give that a shot before spending any money. let us know what you think.

I rip as AIFF lossless. 44.1 16-bit stereo.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Hberg
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
      I think you know my answer... but before I give it, have you tried ripping any music and streaming it through your apple TV? you'll want to setup a 2 channel configuration (with only L/R speakers, everything else "None") for it and create a new input that connects your apple TV, then apply stereo as the favorite mode.

give that a shot before spending any money. let us know what you think.

I rip as AIFF lossless. 44.1 16-bit stereo.
      LOL I already have all my music ripped in the Apple Lossless format. When played through the AppleTV it is does sound good through the SSP-800. However, there is a slight difference in sound that I can hear when using the AppleTV. I was curious about whether I would gain much from converting the Denon compenents to the CDT-300.

On a side note ... I had never owned an iPod until September of 2008, and I bought it for the plane ride to Las Vegas for a Guys Poker Weekend. Of course, I purchased some Shure earphones, and I was really amazed at the quality. That is what made me buy the AppleTV, so that I could enjoy the non-stop music through my system. A lot of the networked music server systems really resemble an iMac, and the Apple products can definitely help one develop a networked music server system. In fact, I even thought about purchasing the (now new) low end iMac, and place it on the bar in the theater as the main terminal for all my iTunes. Another thought is to get a new Mac Mini, and use it in place of the AppleTV.
      "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hberg
        LOL I already have all my music ripped in the Apple Lossless format. When played through the AppleTV it is does sound good through the SSP-800. However, there is a slight difference in sound that I can hear when using the AppleTV. I was curious about whether I would gain much from converting the Denon compenents to the CDT-300.

On a side note ... I had never owned an iPod until September of 2008, and I bought it for the plane ride to Las Vegas for a Guys Poker Weekend. Of course, I purchased some Shure earphones, and I was really amazed at the quality. That is what made me buy the AppleTV, so that I could enjoy the non-stop music through my system. A lot of the networked music server systems really resemble an iMac, and the Apple products can definitely help one develop a networked music server system. In fact, I even thought about purchasing the (now new) low end iMac, and place it on the bar in the theater as the main terminal for all my iTunes. Another thought is to get a new Mac Mini, and use it in place of the AppleTV.

Tim has a Mac Mini that he used to replace a CDP-300 I do believe. He should be able to give you a good opinion. :T
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• skuzzyb
          • Mar 2006

I honestly do not see the value of the CDT-300. If all you are using it for is a transport as you plan on utilizing the DACs in the 800, then to me it is not money will spent. Ripping the music to a server, or getting a CD player that has great DACs and staying in the analog domain utilizing the analog bypass on the CDP800 may give you good results as well. But then again, I am a luddite and prefer to buy the best CD player I can and use the DACs from there. Maybe one day I will be listening to music from my ipod through my Classe but for now it is just background music. Oh, I have digressed.

As for video, well, I think there are better upscalers out there that what is in the CDT-300 and if you get a good BD player in most cases it will have excellent upscaling abilities. May save you a bundle as well.

skz

Comment

• garak
            • Jul 2007

I agree with skuzzy. The CDT-300 is a lot of money for a transport. If you're already listening to your music through a digital connection from your Denon components and using the SSP-800 to do the DAC, then you probably won't hear any difference at all.

The primary reason to consider the CDT-300 IMO is if you really want the aesthetics of having an entire chain of Classe gear. There's nothing wrong with wanting that either, and honestly, that was part of the reason why I decided to get a CDP-102.

Have you considered the new Oppo BD player? That might do everything you want in a single box. You could use it as a transport for CD, DVD, SACD and BD.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by garak
              Have you considered the new Oppo BD player? That might do everything you want in a single box. You could use it as a transport for CD, DVD, SACD and BD.
              Doesn't look as cool but you will save thousands of dollars, and the picture and sound will be better but I know it's not a Classé
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                Doesn't look as cool but you will save thousands of dollars, and the picture and sound will be better but I know it's not a Classé
                That's amazing that you know the picture and sound will be better. How often have you done the side by side comparison?

As for the OP's question, the CDT-300 is a really good CD transport and a nice DVD player. If you plan on using it as much, or more, for CD as opposed to DVD then you should consider it. If it's more for DVD playback then you could probably find a better solution for less money. Classé's CD/DVD players are really good sounding CD transports and sound great with the SSP-800. I have a customer that has a CDT-300 and an SSP-800 (he has owned the CDT-300 for about a year and a half) and his system sounds wonderful. The CDT-300 is better than the Sony BD player he has as a CD transport.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                  That's amazing that you know the picture and sound will be better. How often have you done the side by side comparison?

As for the OP's question, the CDT-300 is a really good CD transport and a nice DVD player. If you plan on using it as much, or more, for CD as opposed to DVD then you should consider it. If it's more for DVD playback then you could probably find a better solution for less money. Classé's CD/DVD players are really good sounding CD transports and sound great with the SSP-800. I have a customer that has a CDT-300 and an SSP-800 (he has owned the CDT-300 for about a year and a half) and his system sounds wonderful. The CDT-300 is better than the Sony BD player he has as a CD transport.

Eric
                  Eric, Of course as a dealer the more Classé you sell the more money, 8Ounfortunately this forum is full of dealers who are basically promoting the brand and spreading erroneous information just so they can continue selling higher profit margin products regardless whether or not things are better. :M

I just finished reading a great book on Sound written by Dr. Toole and it is so refreshing to read a book from a Ph.D electrical engineer who is not selling a box.

Look, I understand everyone trying to make a living but comparing the DVD 300DT to a blu Ray Player is a joke, sorry, unconverted is not 1080p and with HDMi connections the SSP-800 does the heavy lifting.
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• michel
                    • Sep 2008

I can't speak specifically about the cdt300 but a few years back I was running the proceed with the top of line denon using the dacs from the proceed. I borrowed the then classe cd/dvd1 and plugged that into the proceed dac. Stereo sound was improved considerably, I keept the classe and sent the denon back. At the time I wished I could by a transport only, but it was not possible. A few months ago the proceed died, and I got the 800 before I even knew it existed and the old cd/dvd is plugged into it's dac and sounds amazing.

Anyway, my point is transports make a difference. You can only try it to know if it's significant enough to lay out the money, but don't let the group tell you transports are all the same.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                      • Aug 2008

Hberg -

My 2 cents is that the Denon provides better DVD picture quality than the Classe player if only because it gives you more control over adjusting the PQ. I used to own a Denon 3910 and the CDP-300.

In regards to sound quality, I spent a day flipping back and forth between the Apple Lossless files on my Mac Mini and the actual CDs in the CDP-300. There may have been a slight difference between the two, but one was not clearly better than the other--they both sounded great.

I frequent a forum called the computer audiophile and I seem to remember reading that there is some sort of conversion of the digital signal when streaming to the Apple TV that may affect sound quality, so moving to the Mac Mini connected directly to the SSP-800 could be of benefit to you.

I'm going to be taking things a step further in hopes of improving the sound out the Mac Mini even more. I placed an order for a "Bel Canto USB Link" that converts the USB output from the Mac to SPDIF digital. The Mac has a built-in digital output, but the Bel Canto piece is supposed to provide a cleaner, less jitter prone signal. I'm picking up the BC Link later this week. I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

Comment

• Hberg
                        • Apr 2008

Thank you.

You all have given me a lot to think about, but unfortunately it has not made my decision any easier.

I, too, have heard that the CDT-300 is great sounding. I have heard this from others as well as my local Classe' dealer. Aesthetics is small part of the total choice, since I have other pieces that are not Classe'. (Although I realize that a dealer has an incentive, the one thing I appreciate about my B&W/Classe' dealer is the integrity inwhich they serve their customers, and my dealer here in the Kansas City area is top notch. This can not be said about all dealers; however, I do consider it an extension of the excellent customer service that I've received from Classe'.)

As I stated in my earlier post, I was thoroughly impressed with the iPod, and went out about a month later and got the AppleTV. It, too, has offered me a lot of enjoyment and convenience. That is what has made me think of the an iMac as a console for the AppleTV on the bar in the Theater, or I could hook up a Mac Mini to my SSP-800. If I was to hook up the Mac Mini to the SSP-800, I would (for the most part) have to turn on the Sim2 projector to navigate. (I realize I could use the touch screen, but I think it would be more combersome than the AppleTV.) Given the recommendations of our Obsessive Complusive Disorder friend, I will be perusing the Computer Audiophile forum for additional information and insight.

Another thought is to leave things alone. Maybe even simply purchase a more portable laptop like the MacBook Pro; however, that would mean a total switch from the Windows format.

The real problem here is that I have become really spoiled by B&W and Classe', but that is a good thing in today's world of sacrifices.

Decisions ... Decisions ... Decisions ...

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                          Eric, Of course as a dealer the more Classé you sell the more money, 8Ounfortunately this forum is full of dealers who are basically promoting the brand and spreading erroneous information just so they can continue selling higher profit margin products regardless whether or not things are better. :M

I just finished reading a great book on Sound written by Dr. Toole and it is so refreshing to read a book from a Ph.D electrical engineer who is not selling a box.

Look, I understand everyone trying to make a living but comparing the DVD 300DT to a blu Ray Player is a joke, sorry, unconverted is not 1080p and with HDMi connections the SSP-800 does the heavy lifting.
                          I have no stake at all in what Hberg purchases so you are way out of line (as usual) to suggest so. On top of that, nothing was said about BD except for YOU bringing up the Oppo piece that hasn't shipped yet and saying it sounded and looked better than the CDT-300. You are the one spreading erroneous information saying a unit that doesn't exist (except for Beta test units) sounds better than another.

All that was being discussed was CD and DVD playback. I have never, and will never, say that a scaled DVD will look as good or better than BD. Again, that was you! I was focusing on the fact that the CDT-300 is a great sounding CD transport and if that was what Hberg was interested in he should give it a try.

By the way, it's HDMI not HDMi. This isn't a fuel injected BMW connection. It stands for High Definition Digital Interface. All letters capitalized.

Eric

Comment

• AV-OCD
                            • Aug 2008

Bel Canto USB Link

As promised, here are my thoughts on the Bel Canto USB Link that I mentioned a few posts up.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                              I have no stake at all in what Hberg purchases ....Eric
                              Peace:lol:

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"