X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drallan
    • Mar 2009

what do you think of this?

Hi,
    I am interested in your thoughts as i have a Classe combo in mind.
    CDP-502, SSP-800, CA-5200 x 2, bi-amped to my B&W SIG 800 with remaining six channels hooked to surround.
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hi drallan,

I have see a sistem with 2 CA5200 (one over the other) in bi.amp to drive a 5x B&W800D. pre was SSP800.
    (attention bi.amp horizontal / vertical) !!!!

The Cdp502 is overpriced....go see others player!!

GREAT!!!

Omar

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

One of the regular posters here, RebelMan, had a CDP-202, which has the same analog stage and the CDP-502, and sold it when he ordered his SSP-800. I believe he thought the performance was very similar so if you wanted to stick with a Classe DVD player, I'd look at the CDT-300 and use the DACs and analog stage in the SSP-800. You could use the extra money to get a pair of CA-M400s and a single CA-5200, if you are planning on a 7.1 system, instead of a pair of CA-5200s. The CA-M400s are better sounding than the CA-x200 amps and would be better than bi-amping in my opinion. If you are going to have a 5.1 system then get a CA-3200 in place of the CA-5200.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hifiguymi
        One of the regular posters here, RebelMan, had a CDP-202, which has the same analog stage and the CDP-502, and sold it when he ordered his SSP-800. I believe he thought the performance was very similar so if you wanted to stick with a Classe DVD player, I'd look at the CDT-300 and use the DACs and analog stage in the SSP-800. You could use the extra money to get a pair of CA-M400s and a single CA-5200, if you are planning on a 7.1 system, instead of a pair of CA-5200s. The CA-M400s are better sounding than the CA-x200 amps and would be better than bi-amping in my opinion. If you are going to have a 5.1 system then get a CA-3200 in place of the CA-5200.

I agree completely with this.

the other question I would have is why go Classe at all for DVD playback? Since you were looking at the CD-502, I think its safe to assume that you want good 2 ch playback. I'd really recommend that you look into a digital playback medium. The convenience of your entire catalog at your fingertips is well worth it - and you will be hard-pressed to notice a difference between transports.

There are a number of options out there... The logitech, Sonos, AppleTV, MacMini and a few I am sure I am forgetting (knowingly left out the sooloos because I think its overpriced and doesn't offer value for what it costs.)

Then you can look into BD players for DVD and BD playback. BD players are quite good performers at upscaling SD DVD's.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• drallan
          • Mar 2009

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered 2 x CA-400, 1 x CA-5200, SP-800 and CDT-300.
          Sooo excited!

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by drallan
            Thanks for the replies. I just ordered 2 x CA-400, 1 x CA-5200, SP-800 and CDT-300. Sooo excited!
            Hope you got a great deal in this economy they should:T What speakers do you have :B
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• garak
              • Jul 2007

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered 2 x CA-400, 1 x CA-5200, SP-800 and CDT-300.
              Sooo excited!
              Wow that was quick. I'm glad you were able to pull the trigger so quickly. I also agree with the others, and I think you've put together an excellent system. :T

Comment

• drallan
                • Mar 2009

My wife bought me new 800 Signatures for my BD. They were sitting in a B&W warehouse for awhile unsold. She opened up a can of worms without knowing it. After hearing a similar setup, we knew we were in trouble. Our current Denon 4308 just didn't cut it.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

My wife bought me new 800 Signatures for my BD. They were sitting in a B&W warehouse for awhile unsold. She opened up a can of worms without knowing it. After hearing a similar setup, we knew we were in trouble. Our current Denon 4308 just didn't cut it.
                  Whoa, you should cherish your wife congratulations! :T
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Classe4me
                    • Dec 2007

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by drallan
                    Thanks for the replies. I just ordered 2 x CA-400, 1 x CA-5200, SP-800 and CDT-300. Sooo excited!

Congrats to you on an amazing system that you are sure to enjoy thoroughly.

I wish I was in a position to have three monoblocks to run my three fronts and see how it could or would bring them to life.

The CA-5200 would make a great piece to use to complete the system to a 7.1 set-up. I am thinking that perhaps I would be better suited to take future upgrade monies to look into the SSP-800 since it seems that the common consensus is that it is so much better than the SSP-600. I would love to find one that is slightly used and also want to know that I would be able to enjoy the upgrade if and when it comes out. That or wait until the upgrade is available at release and everybody that had to have one already has theirs and find a dealer that will give me a discount to make the purchase worthwhile and affordable.

I do know that if I do ever make that upgrade that it will put my mini-split heat pump to the test in the summer because right now with just the CA-5200 and the 60" Elite and what little heat the SSP-600 and CDP-502 puts out will increase my family room temperature by a good 10 degrees on a summer day with a full day of watching and/or listening.
                    Last edited by Classe4me; 03 March 2009, 00:44 Tuesday. Reason: used incorrect quote

Comment

• planitismetal
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Classe4me
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by drallan

Congrats to you on an amazing system that you are sure to enjoy thoroughly.

I wish I was in a position to have three monoblocks to run my three fronts and see how it could or would bring them to life.
                      I wish I will be married with a wife like "drallan" 's ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x(

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"