X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minardi2
    • May 2007

6 or 7 channel amp

It sure would be nice if Classe had an amp that fit the needs of those that run 6 and 7 channel setups in their HT. I'd even take one that had 150W/channel instead of 200W to accomodate the extra channels and required heat sinking. Some would say just get two 3200, but that's overkill in most HTs, including mine. One could also do a 5200, which I've considered, but what about that center surround??? Buy some little mono Bryston and use that? Certainly fine functionally, but not quite elegant or ideal.

Krell's Showcase amp and it's subsequent replacement, the S-1500, has room to add amp modules as the system grows. I've taken advantage of it and think it's great that such flexibility exists. Just wish Classe had something in their arsenal that would work.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Minardi2
    It sure would be nice if Classe had an amp that fit the needs of those that run 6 and 7 channel setups in their HT. I'd even take one that had 150W/channel instead of 200W to accomodate the extra channels and required heat sinking. Some would say just get two 3200, but that's overkill in most HTs, including mine. One could also do a 5200, which I've considered, but what about that center surround??? Buy some little mono Bryston and use that? Certainly fine functionally, but not quite elegant or ideal.

Krell's Showcase amp and it's subsequent replacement, the S-1500, has room to add amp modules as the system grows. I've taken advantage of it and think it's great that such flexibility exists. Just wish Classe had something in their arsenal that would work.

Funny you say that. I had brought up something to this effect to Dave once. How I kind of wish they had a modular design to the amp. Why am I buying 5 channels if I will only ever use 4? I have a 3200 for the front 3 and a 2100 for the back 4.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Classe used to make a six channel amp in the CAV-150. I have one and it's an excellent amp. You can also bi-amp or bridge the channels.

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Hi Minardi2,

I understand your idea but HT is at first a 5.1 channel.
        Now we have always more 7.1 / 9.2 / 11(eleven!!).4...
        1. with DVD SD I does not know in many movies with track 7, or 6 channels ...

More than 5 channels is only from 2 to 4 cables and this "2 extra channels" are available but with the result of several disorders often nothing more..

hey talking about standard/home-rooms not cinema halls where that makes sense ... (dimensions)

With BluRay should be 7.1, but also here at this moment of so many track records in the original....

HT = 5.1 / stereo audiofile 2.0, and I say too that I prefer have a Great 5.1 system in place at a medion/mediocre 7.1 .

The Classe CA5200 is a great ampli but is true that with a CA3200 + CA2100
        you go have a superb system. the rear dont need 200watt normaly.
        But its also true that a balanced system, the same tone, ..... a 5x (200W or 100w) in theory should be better than a mix.

Style

Comment

• Minardi2
          • May 2007

It wouldn't have to be modular, but that would seem to make the most sense in terms of manufacturing and SKUs.

Comment

• Hberg
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
            Funny you say that. I had brought up something to this effect to Dave once. How I kind of wish they had a modular design to the amp. Why am I buying 5 channels if I will only ever use 4? I have a 3200 for the front 3 and a 2100 for the back 4.
            I have a 7.1 system. I, too, am using the CA-3200 for the front, and I am using a Rotel RMB 1075 for the 4 surrounds.

In my opinion a good 7.1 sound track offers the most enjoyable video experience. Although Hellboy II: The Golden Army may not be some peoples choice, the DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound track was awesome!
            "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

I use CA-5200 for 5.1 and when I need 7.1 the CA-2100 does a great job it is really overkill

Does any one know what is the peak current is for Classé CA-5200 and CAM400 ?

( I posted that somewhere else but think this place is more appropriate)
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hallo Hberg,

The CA3200 is a great front ampli. for the rear go with a Rotel or other brands
                is sure a solution...
                but with a HT room 6 meters x 6 meters not feel the need to have a
                7-channel system.

I have a CA5200 and if I have the possibility I change without doubt the CA5200 with a CA3200 and a CA2200.... --> the system can bemore flexyble,
                more possibility to make bi.amp, change configuration from CA3200 form front and go 1 ch. front the other 2 for rear and with the CA2200 for L&R...
                with the time "all the channel will be good break"....

style

Comment

• Hberg
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by style
                  Hallo Hberg,

The CA3200 is a great front ampli. for the rear go with a Rotel or other brands
                  is sure a solution...
                  but with a HT room 6 meters x 6 meters not feel the need to have a
                  7-channel system.

I have a CA5200 and if I have the possibility I change without doubt the CA5200 with a CA3200 and a CA2200.... --> the system can bemore flexyble,
                  more possibility to make bi.amp, change configuration from CA3200 form front and go 1 ch. front the other 2 for rear and with the CA2200 for L&R...
                  with the time "all the channel will be good break"....

style
                  The great thing about audio is that it is all a personal choice.
                  "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Hberg
                    The great thing about audio is that it is all a personal choice.
                    Yes I had the opportunity to hear a $400,000 system the other day whoa ;x(!!

Wilson, Boulder combo Maybe I could sell my house and buy that :rofl:
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Hi Hberg,

I agree 200%%..

I can have your TOP solution with a $30000 a Great high-end system,
                      with the CA3200&Co.....(rplace the rmb1075 with a new 1575??? ops: )

I dont believe in system only money....if you have not just the pieces you need mountains of money :W :W

you see in magazines/book systems from 2000Watt. but "hey man" with a good ampli and 200watt. you can go in heaven. :T

Style

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"