X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Vintage ClassÉ

Those of you who have been long time Classé fans, it would be great to see pictures and comments about those old Classé equipment.

I wonder how long the CA-5200 will last being played 4 hours a day and recently more like 8 :B

Tell us how old is you Classé and how well it performs :T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • planitismetal
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wettou
    I wonder how long the CA-5200 will last being played 4 hours a day and recently more like 8 :B :T

This is something that I had in mind when I choosed CA-2200...

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

To be truly considered vintage by collector standard, equipment has to be at least 25 years old and the majority of Classé components are not old enough to qualify as such. Only one model, the DR-2 manufactured in 1983 is that old. IMO, "classic" or "legacy" are more appropriate terms for older Classé components.

I've owned several Classé pieces and all have been flawless in their operation. Last year I replaced my model CDP-.5 CD player after 9 years and it was functionally perfect at the time of sale. The CP-50 preamp and CA-300 amp I currently own were both manufactured in 1996 and continue to operate flawlessly to date. With the amp I've only needed to make slight adjustments to the bias of one channel, to correct a slight imbalance in temperature between the two heatsinks. DC offset, which can increase as parts age and their values drift, remains on factory spec.

WBT 0702 Topline binding post upgrade:

Furutech gold IEC inlet upgrade:

Internal view:

Last edited by Glen B; 13 March 2009, 16:27 Friday. Reason: Edited image links due to hosting site changes

Comment

• ryst
        • May 2007

Still got my Classé M700 at home

Descent amp but not as good as the CA-M400, manufacture in 1995 if I got correct info from Classé. Used them with my previous B&W N805 and 802D without ant problem. However they broke down but are now reparid and fully functional.

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Here is a pic of my setup, since this pic I have added a Sony PSP for my BD player.

CD/DVD 1-- Does an excellent job with CD's as well as DVD's.
          SSP60
          CAV-180 Amplifer.
          I am running all balanced connections via CAT cables Kingcats. :T

So far no problems except for a digital dropout issue with the SSP60, Classe of course fixed the problem and it has performed flawlessly since.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Nice, I heard that old Classé design was not very good quality?
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Nice, I heard that old Classé design was not very good quality?
              I think there were some issues with the transport mechs in some of the Cd players, but other than that I don't know of any other issues.
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

I heard from several dealers that there was amps failing as well as their pre/pro having major problems

All of this has been taken care of since B&W Group infused substantial amount of cash into Classé

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I heard from several dealers that there was amps failing as well as their pre/pro having major problems
                  well, lets not say that too loud, my stuff may hear it and break down on me.. :W
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by RobP
                    well, lets not say that too loud, my stuff may hear it and break down on me.. :W
                    I am glad all is working well:T

I sure hope they last 20 years Bryston is the only company that warranty their stuff 20 Years cool

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

All of this has been taken care of since B&W Group infused substantial amount of cash into Classé
                      I had heard that before joining the B&W Group, the service at Classe was unorganized and it was tough to get proper support. Turn aound times were supposedly horrendous. I had never heard of reliability issues.

I have a CAV-150 that several dealers have told me is a terrific amp. I did have an issue with excessive hum, and a noise coming through the speakers when powering down. Classe re-conditioned it, and it works flawlessly and sounds great.

I also have two CAM-350's that I absolutely love, and have had no issues. The same dealers said they wished Classe still made the CAM-350's and the CAM-200's as they are great amps that also provided installers flexibility, and a good value to the customer.

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

I really would like to get my hands on a pair of CAM-350's, such a great amplifier. I have my dealer on watch for a pair if they come through his shop.
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Glen B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2004

No problems with quality or performance in 12 years of owning six different Classé products, including their CDP-.5 CD player. These so-called issues with the brand has not been the general concensus among other audio/video forums.
                          Last edited by Glen B; 22 January 2009, 14:58 Thursday.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by RobP
                            I really would like to get my hands on a pair of CAM-350's, such a great amplifier. I have my dealer on watch for a pair if they come through his shop.
                            Rob,

Email me. I have a friend with a pair that he may be selling.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"