X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merlinus
    • Feb 2008

SSP-800 IR Volume Control Problems

Since installing the firmware upgrade, the IR volume control almost always moves in 1db increments, whereas previously it was 0.5. The .5 numbers flash by on the touchscreen, but one press (or tap) on the remote's key causes it to jump past the .5 and stop at a whole number. Occasionally, however, it will move once in a 0.5db increment, but then immediately reverts to 1db.

Interestingly enough, the volume control on the unit itself proceeds in 0.5db increments.

I have disconnected the unit entirely from the electrics, and shut it off with the switch in the rear, to no avail. I have also tried setting the max volume to other numbers, and the IR volume speed to high, normal, and low.

Obviously this is not anything critical, but does anyone have suggestions?
    merlin
  • garak
    • Jul 2007

If you tap and release the volume button very quickly, it will still only increment by .5 db.

Comment

• merlinus
      • Feb 2008

Thanks, garak. If I tap rather than press, it works fine.
      merlin

Comment

• AV-OCD
        • Aug 2008

Set the volume "automation" feature, under set-up to "slow". That should fix the problem without requiring button tapping.

Comment

• merlinus
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by AV-OCD
          Set the volume "automation" feature, under set-up to "slow". That should fix the problem without requiring button tapping.
          Thanks, but this did not change anything. Also, if I tap the button too quickly it will move in 1.0db increments. I have to pause a bit between taps to get 0.5db.
          merlin

Comment

• AV-OCD
            • Aug 2008

Hmm . . . I have mine set to slow and it increases in .5dB increments without tapping. I do have my 800 connected to an IR extender though.

Comment

• merlinus
              • Feb 2008

Heard back from Tom McConville about this issue. Turns out it is the result of changing the logarithmic volume level increase, which many users complained about. This led to the volume jumping up (or down) in large increments when the remote button was held down.

So it is a conseqeunce of fixing something and thereby causing another thing to not work as well as it did.

Here is the relevant part of his email:

"The IR volume control was adjusted in the latest code. The original version was logarithmic and if you pressed and held the volume increase button for a few seconds the volume would begin to increase very rapidly in large steps.

This was not ideal for many customers and so we adapted the performance to generate a more stable increase.

I hope you agree with the logic behind our decision and that the new performance doesn’t represent a significant inconvenience to you."

Sigh....
              merlin

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"