X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryst
    • May 2007

Classé Blu-Ray player?

someone got any news info about a blu-ray player from Classé?
    Is it possible they present anything at CEDIA 09 ?

Need a good design match with my ssp-800/ca-m400 8)
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ryst
    someone got any news info about a blu-ray player from Classé?
    Is it possible they present anything at CEDIA 09 ?

Need a good design match with my ssp-800/ca-m400 8)
    Well CES is just around the corner...

It would make sense that their current customer base would seem very interested in one. I would be curious to know how many they would need to sell in order to make it viable, and does their active curent customer base reach that number. I am sure every SSP 800 owner would likely order one. It has to be at least somewhat reasonable though if it is just a transport.

I think it would be great if they may one with an HDMI out only. A pure digital transport that is specifically designed to partner with the SSP 800. they could call it the BD 800.

Comment

• garak
      • Jul 2007

FWIW, my dealer has told me not to expect a Classe blu-ray player anytime soon.

I think the licensing costs would make it difficult for Classe to make a profit, as they would be selling a relatively small number of units.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by garak
        FWIW, my dealer has told me not to expect a Classe blu-ray player anytime soon.

I think the licensing costs would make it difficult for Classe to make a profit, as they would be selling a relatively small number of units.
        That's the same thing two dealers told me recently.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

We waited a long SSP800 ... Classe has waited until the market was ready for HDMI ...

For a Classe BluRay player must wait a long time .....
          When it does not want a model on the market a beta model by replacing in a year!
          I agree 100%.

A high-end brand as Classe does not need a BluRay for advertising...time to time ...new models of BluRay player arriving every day and the cards are not yet all on the table.

Style

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

this reminds me of a conversation Rebelman and I had. Allow me, if you will, to expand it to the forum.

I currently have the PS3. IMO, it is the best blu-ray player available. It has the quickest boot time, the most economical, the only one to come out with the original batch of players and be upgradeable to the current features and I'm not convinced there is value add from the more expensive players. I have overcome the remote issue by purchasing an IR2BT, and now my universal happily controls my PS3.

One of the strongest benefits, IMO, to DVD players has been their ability to upscale. This seperated players. Classe stretched the field by integrating the CDPs into the DVD player.

Since Blu-Ray does not require upscaling, and most video sources today offer adequate upscaling abilities, the ownus is no longer on the player.

So where is the value-add for a Classe BD player? I personally feel they should offer a transport model and a 502 type player. BUT, I will not pay $4000 for a transport, which gets similar quality playback to my $300 PS3. That would mean I was paying $3700 for a shell and a name brand that matched my other equipment.

We can argue whether transports are created equal. At the end of the day, we might just put our flags in the sand at determining its subjective.

So, lets say Classe attempted to enter the market at the price-range of the Denon. $2000? Do you honestly think they'd do that? How much would you be willing to pay for a player that isn't much better than a PS3?

How can Classe distinguish itself to justify the added expense?

Assuming that someone who bought the SSP-800 will automatically buy a BD-player is rather arrogant, don't you think?
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko

So, lets say Classe attempted to enter the market at the price-range of the Denon. $2000? Do you honestly think they'd do that? How much would you be willing to pay for a player that isn't much better than a PS3?

How can Classe distinguish itself to justify the added expense?
              ?
              the reality is I only see value in the brand, and outer shell. Honestly Classe would be lucky and likely wont come out with a BD player even as good as the PS3. For a while now I have been in the camp that digital transports are way over priced and not much different from another. Ill agree that is subjective, and I am sure we can all agree the differences in digital transports arnt as large as players with internal DACs.

Having said all that I would be ok with paying a premium for brand, and the outer shell of the player. In reality I would say $2000-$3000 would be the most I would pay for a Classe BD player. Most of that money I know wouldnt be going towards a "better player" then what I have with my PS3.

Perhaps Classe could look at simply "re-baging" another brand. Plenty of other high end manufactures do it with players, and almost all do it with displays these days.

Classe has a brand integrity and the look I want to build in my rack, and for that I am happy to pay a premium...but i would NEVER pay 4-5k for a digital transport. Even 3 K is pushing it. I think $2000 - $2500 is reasonable for a 100% pure digital transport.

Honestly if I owned a classe CDP of DVD player I would look at finding a guy who could retrofit my PS3 insides into the classe shell :P

Classe should do some market research on the topic of digital transports within their client base.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Vancouver
                Perhaps Classe could look at simply "re-baging" another... Honestly if I owned a classe CDP of DVD player I would look at finding a guy who could retrofit my PS3 insides into the classe shell :P

Classe should do some market research on the topic of digital transports within their client base.
                Yes what a great Idea put a PS3 80GB $499 inside or better yet the new Oppo BD83 (Blu Ray, DVD, SACD DSD thru HDMi) coming out soon in a Classé shell and sell it for $4999 that's the way to go ..

Well joke aside, if Classé would do this and sell it for $1,500 I would buy it. I just love the look It would go well with my CA-5200, CA-2100 and soon I hope with my SSP-800. Classé please hurry and release the new chip with updated codec that way you can increase your sales...:B

I like the name BD-800 all digital just HDMi
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                  Yes what a great Idea put a PS3 80GB $499 inside or better yet the new Oppo BD83 (Blu Ray, DVD, SACD DSD thru HDMi) coming out soon in a Classé shell and sell it for $4999 that's the way to go ..

I like the name BD-800 all digital just HDMi
                  That would be the equivalent of putting a Bentley styled front grill on a Chrysler 300. 8)

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
                    That would be the equivalent of putting a Bentley styled front grill on a Chrysler 300. 8)
                    reminds me of the beginning of a cheech and chong movie.. up in smoke? except its a rolly royce grill on a POS I believe.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                      Has been done before
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

why is everyone laughing at the idea?

Any idea how much stuff you buy in life is re-baged?

Fact is Classe could reales the Oppo in a Classe shell and sell it for 3-4xs its price. Maybe tweek the power supply and use a better chassis etc Remember I am only talking about a digital transport.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                          • Aug 2008

I had a Lexicon DVD player that was nothing more than a Marantz with a Lex case and an additional digital out. The Mararntz listed for 2K, the Lex was 5K. I think that is too much of a premium for a rebadge, but I bought it used for 2K, so no big deal.

I'd buy a rebadged Classe BD player as long as they picked a good one to rebadge.

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

The Oppo looks to be a good player. I'm only going to post this here and not in another high traffic thread or forum. I dont want to get hounded with how I know this, or what else I know, so this is for the good guys of the Classe forum only. Please dont post this somewhere else. I never post rumors, and ill assure you these are true.

1.) The Oppo today only plays SACD (not new news) but will play DVD A when its released (new news :W )

2.) It performs faster then the PS3 :T

3.) It will be released Jan or Feb 2009

4.) It uses it own interface not designed by a third party.

5.) People thinking it will be priced at $700+ are thinking to high.

Comment

• garak
                              • Jul 2007

The Oppo looks to be a good player. I'm only going to post this here and not in another high traffic thread or forum. I dont want to get hounded with how I know this, or what else I know, so this is for the good guys of the Classe forum only. Please dont post this somewhere else. I never post rumors, and ill assure you these are true.

1.) The Oppo today only plays SACD (not new news) but will play DVD A when its released (new news :W )

This is excellent news. Reason #1 would be enough for me to get one of these. However, if #2 is true, that might make it the best player on the market. :E

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Interesting when I emailed oppo they would not divuldge anything except to say that it won't do DVD-A??

Comment

• Nolan B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2005

Interesting when I emailed oppo they would not divuldge anything except to say that it won't do DVD-A??
                                  The current player they have which is being tested does not play DVD A, but the one that will be released will. Apparently.

Comment

• focker
                                    • Oct 2008

Here is a nice photo of the front and rear of the Oppo:
                                    A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

If classe came to market with a BD player, I would hope that it could play SACD and DVD-A.

as in load times? I think the PS3 is the bar. faster isn't a big deal, but slower sucks.

I hope it is better than the interface on the 930. I HATE that interface with a passion.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

If classe came to market with a BD player, I would hope that it could play SACD and DVD-A.
                                        Its the only way I would buy a Classe. Classe is going ot have to buy something that will make me want to go from the Oppo to a Classe. I am certainly not going to downgrade to a Classe in order to get a nice Classe case, but I would side step.

as in load times? I think the PS3 is the bar. faster isn't a big deal, but slower sucks.
                                        Its nota big deal when you compare it to the PS3...i agree. The PS3 is fast enough. It is a big deal when you compare it to other sand alone players. if you have been using a PS3 then you have forgot how long the load times are with other players. I really want to ditch my PS3 for a good stand alone...it just hasnt come yet.

I hope it is better than the interface on the 930. I HATE that interface with a passion.
                                        I dont know about the 930, but the 980 was just OK. Simple and straight forward.

Unfortunately I would be getting any further info then what I got about this player. My source is someone I trust 100% on this issue and got the info direct from someone who actually has this player and is helping Oppo with the testing of it.

Bottom line is Oppo has set a new standard for DVD players based on price and performance. I wouldnt even consider another brand because something close in performance jumps exponentially in price. Other brands should count themselves lucky that Oppo isnt sold next to them on shelves and is only a brand known to enthusiasts on forums for the most part.

I expect the same is going to happen with their BD player, and while Classe will have the first shot at my wallet as I want to continue to build my system with that brand if Classe doesnt come to market with something that performs as well I will just keep the Oppo out of site in my cabinet and control via RF, and really that wont disappoint me.

Times have changed in HT and the days of digital transports are here. There is not need for expensive DACs or scalers in player anymore IMO. I am sure Classe must have thought about this after releasing something like the 800 which only needs to utilize digital connections.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

I dont know about the 930, but the 980 was just OK. Simple and straight forward.
                                          I was wrong, it is the 980. I try and stay out of the menu. My biggest beef is that it is difficult to select between 2ch and multi-channel layers on SACD disks. You have to decide from the menu before you load the disk. I wish I could toggle with a button. If you have figured out how to do this, please enlighten me.

I expect the same is going to happen with their BD player, and while Classe will have the first shot at my wallet as I want to continue to build my system with that brand if Classe doesnt come to market with something that performs as well I will just keep the Oppo out of site in my cabinet and control via RF, and really that wont disappoint me.

Times have changed in HT and the days of digital transports are here. There is not need for expensive DACs or scalers in player anymore IMO. I am sure Classe must have thought about this after releasing something like the 800 which only needs to utilize digital connections.
                                          You have to keep in mind that Classe has to see this as something they can make money on - and not dimish the classe brand. Their trend is not to sell $2000 products. For them to come to market with a product priced around $2k might not be something they would be interested in.

Then again, Mark Levinson brought the Media Center 502 to market for $32k and it is just a rebadged Lexicon 12HD with a screen and fancy case.

btw, I still have an HDDVD player. I remember when they first came out, the Blu-folk were very poignant to mock this. I found it very ironic that when BD players came to market, they had the same issue.
                                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I've thought about starting a thread about future classe products. I won't be bugging Dave about it, but we could make fan based ideas on where we think Classe should move with future products. We know they read this board, so something might get considered. What do you guys think? fun conversation or waiste of time?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2005

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I've thought about starting a thread about future classe products. I won't be bugging Dave about it, but we could make fan based ideas on where we think Classe should move with future products. We know they read this board, so something might get considered. What do you guys think? fun conversation or waiste of time?
                                            I would happily partake in a thread like this. I should also point out the I think Classe deserves to charge more for their brand and would happily pay more for it when it comes to a digital transport. I understand if they cant release one for 2k, and may pay more if they could add some Classe tough to it.

Would Classe take part in your thread? Would you invite them as an insider to join?

Comment

• wettou
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by ryst
                                              someone got any news info about a blu-ray player from Classé? Is it possible they present anything at CEDIA 09 ? Need a good design match with my ssp-800/ca-m400 8)
                                              Classé said they will not develop a blu ray player.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2005

Classé said they will not develop a blu ray player.
                                                what was the context of their answer? Did they say why? Did say say ever?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

When I speak to Dave about anything, he always leaves the door open for a change in decision in the future, but he also can be quite fixed in his current opinion.

Its hard to tell where Classe is from the consumer prospective. They say they aren't going to do it, and leave a lot of room to read between the lines. That doesn't mean they haven't looked into it before making that decision. They are very intelligent people who know their industry.

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

For now or in the near future they felt it would be difficult to improve from the PS3 :B

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2005

For now or in the near future they felt it would be difficult to improve from the PS3 :B
                                                      of course...and thats true unless they release a universal player.

What are their thoughts about releasing a digital transport if by nothing else matches the look of their equipment?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Well if people like Denon can release a 2-4k dollar BD player and profit from it (the market is still rather small for this price range) not sure why Classe couldn't. Even Emotiva is considering doing a blu-ray player so the licensing can't be that horrible.

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

of course...and thats true unless they release a universal player. What are their thoughts about releasing a digital transport if by nothing else matches the look of their equipment?
                                                          Nope nothing from what I heard so mayb they are out of the source business and that is why they are trying to unload their DVD players??

I wished they could take the new Oppo package it and sell it for $2000?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2006

You want to pay 2k for an Oppo?

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                              You want to pay 2k for an Oppo?
                                                              Not really, but I love the look of the Classé line. So I might pay a premium especially if it looks like the current Classé DVD players with preview screen, XLR balanced outputs and outstanding sound. :B

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

Ah well that could make it worth more....Not sure about 1500 more though haha.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Ah well that could make it worth more....Not sure about 1500 more though haha.
                                                                  Yes, agreed I know it would be great at $1000 but it is unlikely Classé would release anything that would be less than sevral thousands of $$$$$

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Very true. Their pieces do look pretty though :B

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Very true. Their pieces do look pretty though :B
                                                                      Yes they won many awards for design, it also has a better WAF :T

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2008

I'd pay $3000 to $3500 for a Classe BD Transport---just for the pretty box. :B

Comment

• style
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                          • 1562

Hi Tim,

I agree with you.

if you think the difference in Price from US and Europa "your" $ 3-3500.- will be €.3-3500.-..... :cry:

But well if you will a Classe style you most have style well to pay 8O

Omar

Comment

• msm
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Aug 2008
                                                                            • 42

If the player offered some additional features, I would pick one up because my PS3 can not be programmed into my AMX remote.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by style
                                                                              Hi Tim, I agree with you. if you think the difference in Price from US and Europa "your" $ 3-3500.- will be €.3-3500.-..... :cry: But well if you will a Classe style you most have style well to pay 8O Omar
                                                                              I would not go that far 8)

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 2299

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by msm
                                                                                If the player offered some additional features, I would pick one up because my PS3 can not be programmed into my AMX remote.
                                                                                Is it IR?

Go to ir2bt and buy the adapter. I have one and it works great with my universal remote! couldnt be happier. :T

Comment

• msm
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2008
                                                                                  • 42

#41
                                                                                  Is it IR?

Go to ir2bt and buy the adapter. I have one and it works great with my universal remote! couldnt be happier. :T
                                                                                  I will have to give that a try. Yes, it is IR but I have bought some of those adaptors before and they never worked. Glad to hear the ir2bt works, I will order one tomorrow.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2008
                                                                                    • 568

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by msm
                                                                                    I will have to give that a try. Yes, it is IR but I have bought some of those adaptors before and they never worked. Glad to hear the ir2bt works, I will order one tomorrow.
                                                                                    I've got a Nyko USB PS3 IR adaptor and remote that I no longer need. PM me if you want it. $10 + shipping and it's yours.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2005
                                                                                      • 1792

#43

Looks like my source has proven to be spot on so far :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 3389

#44
                                                                                        2.) It performs faster then the PS3
                                                                                        I will believe it when I see it :B

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 1792

#45
                                                                                          I will believe it when I see it :B
                                                                                          This has been confirmed by a beta tester.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"