X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gianluca
    • Oct 2008

Ca-150

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a good 2 channel to run a pair of B&W 603s3 for stereo listening. I find my integrated (Rotel RSX-1056) lacks the power to drive them properly especially in the lower HZ. I cannot find much info on this amp but know that it was introduced in 1996 and has 150watts x 2 at 8ohm. Has anyone here heard this amp with B&W 603s3 or similar?

Unfortunately can't afford the newer stuff so looking to the used market. What is a fair price for a 9/10 CA-150?

Thanks

Gianluca
    Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

You will have to contact Classe customer service, and they can email you the owner's manual. They did this for me before I bought my CAV-150 that was also no longer listed under their discontinued models.

To get the book value for the amp, go to Audiogon.com and get to their Blue Book section. You'll have to subscribe to get the current value.

Here is a link for CA-150 owner reviews.

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

The current Bluebook value of the CA-150 is $1,090.00. The basic circuit topology and sonic signature of the CA-150 is very similar to the larger CA-200 that was reviewed by Stereophile Magazine in 1997, except for a smaller power supply and fewer output devices in the CA-150.

Stereophile review of the CA-200: http://stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/297classe/

Comment

• Gianluca
        • Oct 2008

Hi all,

I want to purchase a CA-150 and askes the seller to plug the amp to mains and connect speakers to it. I asked if a HUM was there or not. Here is his response:

"So I tried what you suggested both in my basement HT and upstairs, with no interconnects attached. There is a toggle on the back for either RCA or XLR operation. In "regular" mode, ie: RCA, there is a buzzing sound. In balanced mode, it is silent, only a background hiss audible if put your ear up to the tweeter. This is repeatable for both channels in both rooms. I'm not sure if this means if it is defective or degrading."

What do you guys think, don't have experience to answer if good or not. I would only assume that having nothing connected to RCA (unbalanced) would cause the amplifier to see an infinite impedence across it's circuitry and thus produce a HUM if it can't find ground.

Thanks for your responses

Gianluca
        Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Exactly how loud is this buzz ? Is it evident a few feet away or only with the ear up against the tweeter ? I don't see any parts going bad that would cause unwanted noise to develop in both channels in unbalanced mode but not also in balanced.
          Last edited by Glen B; 16 November 2008, 12:39 Sunday.

Comment

• Srrndhound
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gianluca
            I would only assume that having nothing connected to RCA (unbalanced) would cause the amplifier to see an infinite impedence across it's circuitry and thus produce a HUM if it can't find ground.

Thanks for your responses

Gianluca
            You're right. When in balanced mode, the input is terminated with 16 k ohms, while in single-ended mode it goes up to 75k. It is probably picking up a stray hum field from a light or other device. If you ask him to try the test again with the unbalanced inputs shorted, he will most likely give you the same result as the balanced mode.

BTW, I just bought a CA201 from Audiogon, and it's as good as new. These things are built!

Comment

• Gianluca
              • Oct 2008

Ok so the amp is fine then...

What do you guys think about my other question? Do you believe I will get better base output from my 603's? My Rotel RSX-1056 altough rated for 100wpc in stereo mode seems to be shy in the 60-150hz range, I find they lack punch. I have a sub which I'm happy with but it only extends down and makes you feel the base but does not add the punch I'm looking for. Maybe the 603's with small woofers can't be as powerful.

Gianluca

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Gianluca
                Ok so the amp is fine then...

What do you guys think about my other question? Do you believe I will get better base output from my 603's? My Rotel RSX-1056 altough rated for 100wpc in stereo mode seems to be shy in the 60-150hz range, I find they lack punch. I have a sub which I'm happy with but it only extends down and makes you feel the base but does not add the punch I'm looking for. Maybe the 603's with small woofers can't be as powerful.

Gianluca
                When I added my CAV-150 (150 watts per channel) off of my Pioneer Elite receiver that is rated 130 watts per channel, to power my 703s and HTM1, the sound was much fuller thoughout the ranges and very smooth by comparison. The harshness and brightness in the mids and highs was also gone. Your speakers will perform at their peak, but I'm not sure what they are capable of as I've never listened to them before.

Comment

• Gianluca
                  • Oct 2008

Thank you all for your Input...

One more question...Anyway of knowing manufacturing date from Serial number? I quess I could call Classé. From what I know they were introduced in 1996, so it could be 12 years old. How old do amps get before CAPS (or anything else) go bad?

Thanks

Gianluca

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

IMO you don't have to worry about caps going bad in these amps for quite a while. I believe if you were to ask Classé technicians about this, they would tell you that replacement of caps is not necessary at this time.

The caps in the CA series amps are better than ones from 30 or more years ago. This, plus the fact that Classé amps are conservatively designed and run cool will help with longevity.

Of greatest concern would be the main power supply caps,and those usually show early warning signs of failure such as leaking, bulging of the can or hum in the amp before abruptly failing. Older DR series amps are still going strong on their original caps after 20-25 years.

Comment

• Gianluca
                      • Oct 2008

Thank you Glen,

From someone that restores Vintage equipment means alot...So I will be going strong for many years is what I wanted to know.

Thanks Again

Gianluca

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"