X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • focker
    • Oct 2008

Thoughts on Amps

I currently have a Pioneer SC-07 that is running my B&W 803Ds, a HTM2D and a couple of surrounds left over from my old system (DefTech).
    I would like to use the SC-07 as a preamp for the B&Ws and pick up a nice amplifier that can bring out all these speakers can be. I am really having a tough time deciding what direction is the best for me.
    I have heard my B&W 803D's with both Classe CA-2200 and McIntosh MC402 amplifiers. Both amplifiers sounded excellent. My dilemma comes down to how I should set this up for the best cost/enjoyment/headroom for the three front speakers.
    My considerations are the Classe CA-3200 so I can power all 3 speaker from one apparently very nice amp. Get the McIntosh MC402 and add something for the center channel down the road like an MC501 OR get an MC205 now that will power everything. Final current consideration is the new Rotel RMB-1575 if it has a nice sound with these (will audition when they arrive in the next month). Other suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks!
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Welome to the forum

I use a Krell KAV-2250 (2 channel) & KAV-3250 (3 channel) and I'm a happy camper. Krell, Classe & Mac equipment is all excellent imho. I cannot recommend what you should get but can only encourage you to listen for yourself (as you've done with the Classe & Mac stuff) and to make up your own mind based on what YOUR ears like.

It would be an excellent idea to audition the Rotel and then compare it to the above brands. You could find yourself being sufficiently satisfied ... in which case ... "lucky you" for not having to spend loads of $ to achieve your plateau of pleasure. :T

For what it's worth, I'm mainly a two channel guy ... so I've setup my amps as follows:

Front left speaker: One channel from KAV-3250 (bi-wired)
    Front right speaker: One channel from KAV-2250 (bi-wired)
    Centre speaker: One channel from KAV-3250 (bi-wired)
    Surround left speaker: One channel from KAV-3250
    Surround right speaker: One channel from KAV-2250

When playing in two channel, both left & right fronts are fed clean independent signals, each channel having its own 2000VA Krell power supply. In addition to this, I have each amp being powered from separate wall sockets.

I would be inclined to use one brand for all amplification. In my opinion this would go a long way towards keeping within my goal of having a balanced system.

Good luck!

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

You may also want to listen to the Classe CA-5200, as that will give you the same ample and clean power to all of your speakers.

Comment

• garak
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by beden1
        You may also want to listen to the Classe CA-5200, as that will give you the same ample and clean power to all of your speakers.
        I agree. The CA-5200 is a terrific amp. I'm using it to power my 803Ds, HTM2D - just like your setup. I really love this combination.

Comment

• focker
          • Oct 2008

I haven't listened to the CA-5200 yet but would it be fair to say the sound should be very similar to the CA-3200 just with to more channels?

Comment

• garak
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by focker
            I haven't listened to the CA-5200 yet but would it be fair to say the sound should be very similar to the CA-3200 just with to more channels?
            I haven't heard the CA-3200, but I think that's probably a safe assumption.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by garak
              I haven't heard the CA-3200, but I think that's probably a safe assumption.
              Yes the Ca-3200 and CA-5200 sound identical:T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hy,

Go with the Classe.
                Classè in homecinema has no competition

CA3200 and CA5200 sound sound identical, with the CA5200 or CA3200 you dont go wrong.....

style

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by style
                  Hy, Go with the Classe. Classè in homecinema has no competition CA3200 and CA5200 sound sound identical, with the CA5200 or CA3200 you dont go wrong..... style
                  Cheaper is Emotiva:B Better is Electrocompaniet Nemo AW600:T
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• focker
                    • Oct 2008

I have looked at the Electrocompaniet AW-400 and really like them. Just so damn big. Admittedly I am keeping an eye on Audiogon for all of these items I have listed.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

I have looked at the Electrocompaniet AW-400 and really like them. Just so damn big. Admittedly I am keeping an eye on Audiogon for all of these items I have listed.

Electrocompaniet AW400

Dimensions
                      Width514 mm / 20.2 inchesDepth470 mm / 18.5 inchesHeight288 mm / 11.3 inchesWeight41 kg. / 90.2 lbs.

Classé CAM400

Dimensions
                      Width445 mm / 17.5 inchesDepth470 mm / 18.5 inchesHeight222 mm / 8.75 inchesWeight43 kg. / 94 lbs.

Comment

• focker
                        • Oct 2008

Anything over 18.5" wide won't fit in my cabinet/rack and I already know that means the interior design fiance is not going to be interested .

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Anything over 18.5" wide won't fit in my cabinet/rack and I already know that means the interior design fiance is not going to be interested .
                          Check the depth of the CA-5200 as I seem to remember it is very deep. But, it would be cheaper to get one amp than two with the CA-3200 and the CA-2200.

Comment

• focker
                            • Oct 2008

Check the depth of the CA-5200 as I seem to remember it is very deep. But, it would be cheaper to get one amp than two with the CA-3200 and the CA-2200.
                            Depth on the 3200 is 18.5" and on the 5200 is 21". My entertainment center has plenty of depth so that is not an issue. If I find a CA-5200 for a great deal I would sure buy it but I am not too worried about powering the rear channels with an amp, it's the front three that I think will make a big difference with a nice amp(s).
                            I did find out today that McIntosh has a new 300 watt 3 channel coming out soon, they demo'd it CEDIA last month.

Comment

• Hberg
                              • Apr 2008

I have the CA-3200 for my front and a Rotel for the rear. The CA-3200 is a very nice amp.
                              "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Hallo focker,

I have a SSP800 and CA5200 with 803D, htm2D, 805s rear.(B&W sub, plasma Pioneer Kuro)

if you muss buy a "only one" go with the CA5200. Is a big ampli bur not only in dimension. A 5 channel power ampli in the marked you cant find nothing
                                better.. forget Denon and the Pre/pro... B&Wwas at to my at home the make a cntrol sistem a setup from the SSP800 with ca5200: not only over paper the Classe dont have compromise.....(with 5 minutes SSP800 at work another custumer with 2xCA5200 in bi-amp with B&W800D and the Denon pre/pro have decided PRO Classe...Denon vs. Classe: Denon has no chance / possibility ...

I dont will buy a Classe, a Mc, a Krell ... mix only brings problems
                                Takes with a single brand: the same timbre for all channels, dynamic, ...
                                = better sound.

@wettou --> Emotiva? if you will 8O , ( Ok sell you CA5200 anf buy the Emotiva)

the electrocompaniet is make good power-ampli but in this forum the people say well the NEMO is for the B&W Nautilus speakers :rofl:
                                Wenn i say this at B&W they say my " are you crazy or what?"
                                In this Forum you can read correct info and as a lot of information given solely by what to read and heard somewhere ....

for the HT go with a single CA5200 or a CA3200 plus CA2200.

greetings Style

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

I just saw a used Classe CA-5200 for sale at this site that you might want to check out.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

I just saw a used Classe CA-5200 for sale at this site that you might want to check out. http://jbaudiopimp.com/biglist.htm
                                    Yes go down the page

Classe CA-5200 5-channel amplifier $5500 (MSRP $9000) New Addition this week!
                                    - Original box, manual, remote. 1080P HDMI.. Previous dealer demo.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2007

WOW. An amp with HDMI and 1080P. That must be new.

Eric

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                        WOW. An amp with HDMI and 1080P. That must be new.

Eric
                                        And a remote control! I actually would like it if amps had remotes, so I didn't have to mess with triggers and such.

Looks like they need to proof read a bit before posting. They are actively on Audiogon as well.

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                          Yes go down the page

Classe CA-5200 5-channel amplifier $5500 (MSRP $9000) New Addition this week!
                                          - Original box, manual, remote. 1080P HDMI.. Previous dealer demo.

Wettou,

You were thinking of adding another CA-5200 at some point too? This would be a good opportunity, if you're still interested.

Comment

• focker
                                            • Oct 2008

That's a great price on the CA-5200! (I need to figure out how that HDMI wires in there LOL. I also found the new McIntosh for a nice price (35% off) so I need to make a choice and pull the trigger on one of these in the next 24 hours before I loose the opportunity. You just don't see the CA-x200 series for resale out there so I'm sure it will move fast.

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

That's a great price on the CA-5200! (I need to figure out how that HDMI wires in there LOL. I also found the new McIntosh for a nice price (35% off) so I need to make a choice and pull the trigger on one of these in the next 24 hours before I loose the opportunity. You just don't see the CA-x200 series for resale out there so I'm sure it will move fast.
                                              Given the choice between the two, I would definitely go for the Classe amp over the McIntosh. IMO, the Classe sounds better overall. Plus, the corporate ownership of McIntosh which also includes Denon and Marantz has either just sold to an investment house, and/or are having severe financial problems?

Comment

• focker
                                                • Oct 2008

I have heard both the Classe and the McIntosh in an A/B listening situation with the 803D's but I can't say the Classe had a better sound just different (and the difference was slight which is why I will be comfortable with either decision). To my ears the Classe was a bit brighter and possibly more detailed in the high range, the McIntosh was a warmer sound with a little more punch in the lower range. Loved them both and the way they really make the B&Ws perform.

On the financial question:
                                                D&M Holdings did indeed tender out to Bain Capital whom took the company private but there hasn't been any financial hardship. 49% of the company was held for many years by investment firm RJH International that is known for building companies through acquisitions, mergers and product innovations then selling them for a large profit. 12% of D&M was also owned by Phillips. The two major owners and the general shareholders agreed last summer to the sale of the company for a pretty fat premium.

This is RHJ : http://www.rhji.com/
                                                This is Bain: http://www.baincapitalprivateequity.com/
                                                Bloomberg for info: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=6735:JP

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

Hy focker,

I have now the SSP800-CA5200 / B&W803D-Htm2D-805S -> 80% movie

I have the Mcintosh MC205 too. Mc is rerally not bad. Is a personaly choice.
                                                  MC ha ve more warm sound, Classe expecialy with SSP800 work great...
                                                  faster, cleaner, dinamic vs. MC....
                                                  But we have in this Forum a setup with BW800D and MC1201 monoblock (1200watt each channel!) processor Maridian and and the owners are very happy!
                                                  Meridian has processor (800 series) that are really good machines ...

Is really personaly choice...but now with the SSP800 I dont go change my B&W803D speaker with 802D... no way. The 803D is really a superb speaker...
                                                  thanks at the SSP800 and your job.

D&M at now Marantz, before was B&W group but at today (in europa) The new importer works very badly, no assistance, delivery time unknown, technicians do not know the products and give information not valid .... :evil:

first: decide to go with a HT system or stereo system
                                                  HT = Classe no doubt, for a system ONLY 2 channel well, Classe, PassLab, Accustic Arts, Simaudio.....

Style

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"