X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

HT By-Pass Question/Observation

I have a question that I'm wondering about.

My Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS receiver for HT is currently not hooked up to my system, as I previously took it to my PA house to get an upgrade. I didn't bring it back as I was expecting to have an SSP-800 which did not materialize.

Currently, I'm just using my Classe' CP-500 to listen to stereo, which is connected through balanced cables to my Classe' CAM-350's powering my 803D's, and using my Sony SCD-XA9000ES as the source player. The Sony does not have balanced connections, and is connected to the CP-500 with stereo RCA's.

When the Pioneer Elite receiver was in the mix, the CP-500 was connected to it via RCA cables (the Pioneer does not have balanced connections) to the L/R pre-outs on the receiver, and I used the CP-500 for HT by-pass, and listened to it by itself for stereo with the receiver turned off. The Sony CD player was also connected to the 5.1 multi-channel RCA in-puts on the receiver.

My CP-500 just came back from Classe service, to check for voltage since the triggers were not working, and to check it over and provide any available updates.

Without the receiver in the system (or since the pre-amp came back from service), the CP-500 by itself sounds much better than before. The center sound stage is much more prominent, and the L/R speakers vitually disappear. The sound has more clarity, the highs are more dynamic, and the bass is now much more defined and authoritative. In fact, I also no longer wish my subs were playing while listening to the 803D's by themselves in stereo.

I'm confused by the transformation. With the receiver in the system, was it somehow interfering with the signal that is now free with it not there? Or, is it possible something was corrected in the pre-amp during service to make this transformation?

The other question I have, is when using the CP-500 as an HT by-pass, I have to also power it on for it to pass the signal from the receiver. Is there any way that this can be connected where it does not have to be turned on, and the signal from the receiver stills passes through?

I'm trying to figure it out as I am now very satisfied with my two channel listening, and it may create more SSP/AVP options.
    Last edited by beden1; 29 September 2008, 22:09 Monday.
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
    I'm trying to figure it out as I am now very satisfied with my two channel listening, and it may create more SSP/AVP options.
    I can't answer your question but I just want to comment that I also find myself listening to two channels again once in a while kind of cool. I might even go an get a TT?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dmccombs
      • Sep 2006

Beden,

This makes sense to me. I would think the CP-500 would be a better preamp than your receiver. Also by only using the CP-500, you remove one piece of electronics from the chain (thus reducing noise).

Reducing noise in the system will improve soundstage and definition.

Darrell

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wettou
        I can't answer your question but I just want to comment that I also find myself listening to two channels again once in a while kind of cool. I might even go an get a TT?
        Wettou,

I went this route recently. I picked up a TT and am enjoying wider and deeper soundstages, and better separation of the instruments. Watch out though, it can turn into an obsession. :twisted:

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
          Beden,

This makes sense to me. I would think the CP-500 would be a better preamp than your receiver. Also by only using the CP-500, you remove one piece of electronics from the chain (thus reducing noise).

Reducing noise in the system will improve soundstage and definition.

Darrell
          The problem is then, how do you use the pre-amp in the chain as an HT bypass, and still get the great sound I'm now hearing with it as a standalone?

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Wettou,

I went this route recently. I picked up a TT and am enjoying wider and deeper soundstages, and better separation of the instruments. Watch out though, it can turn into an obsession. :twisted:

Darrell
            Darrell,

What is your overall impression of your Denon AVP, now that you've had it for a while. Are there any negatives specifically in the sound quality, or other operational issues? Would you get it again if you had it to do over, and/or do you find yourself wishing you had something different like the SSP-800?

I've been researching the other processors out there, and the AVP still makes a lot of sense to me.

Brooks

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

Beden,

For HT use, how about connecting the R+L preouts of the receiver to a pair of RCA inputs of the CP-500, and switch to those inputs when needed. For 2-channel use, you switch to the balanced inputs being fed by your Sony player. Its not a "bypass" but a hookup option, unless I'm interpreting your needs incorrectly.

BTW, didn't you upgrade from a CP-50 preamp or was it another member I recall doing so ? That model had HT bypass. I don't know why Classé did not keep the feature in the Delta models. Obviously there's still a need for it.

Glen

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Glen B
                For HT use, connect the R+L preouts of the receiver to a pair of RCA inputs of the CP-500, and switch to those inputs when needed. For 2-channel use, you switch to the balanced inputs being fed by your Sony player. Its not a "bypass" but a hookup option, unless I'm interpreting your needs incorrectly.

BTW, didn't you upgrade from a CP-50 preamp or was it another member I recall doing so ? That model had HT bypass. I don't know why Classé did not keep the feature in the Delta models. Obviously there's still a need for it.
                The CP-500 does have HT bypass. But, it sounds better when there is no connection to the receiver which has me scratching my head.

I also would like to figure out if there is a way to not power on the CP-500 when the receiver is connected through the CP-500 for HT bypass. Is there another way of hooking it up?

Comment

• dmccombs
                  • Sep 2006

The problem is then, how do you use the pre-amp in the chain as an HT bypass, and still get the great sound I'm now hearing with it as a standalone?
                  Beden,

I think the way to do this is to plug your two channel sources into the CP-500. These are the things you want the very best sound from.

Then, run Preouts from the Receiver to an input on the CP-500. Use this for your 5.1 things where sound isn't as critical. You may not have Bypass on the CP-500, but you can find a way to note the correct volume setting on the CP-500 when doing 5.1

Darrell

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

I didn't know they kept the bypass feature. IMHO, if you're passing the CD player's signal through ANYTHING ahead of the CP-500, that could help account for poorer sound. You have the extra cabling, connections, and solder points between the CD player and preamp that you would not have with a direct connection. I suspect there is no way to send signals through the CP-500 without its being powered. The preamp would have to use either relays or some form of solid state switching to route signals though its circuitry and either one requires power to function.

Comment

• dmccombs
                      • Sep 2006

Darrell,

What is your overall impression of your Denon AVP, now that you've had it for a while. Are there any negatives specifically in the sound quality, or other operational issues? Would you get it again if you had it to do over, and/or do you find yourself wishing you had something different like the SSP-800?

I've been researching the other processors out there, and the AVP still makes a lot of sense to me.

Brooks
                      Brooks,

The Denon AVP has performed flawlessly. My previous prepro (the Halcro) never worked, so I couldn't wait for the SSP-800. So no, I have no regrets. The Denon has been great the last ~8 months.

I have several 2 channel audio friends that all have dedicated 2-ch preamps. They have all commented how well the Denon is doing as a preamp. When we discuss my next upgrade, the AVP isn't mentioned. They suggest other things. I have upgraded the turntable, arm, cartridge, phono preamp, and cabling though.

I think this speaks volumes for the Denon. These people are used to dedicated 2-ch TT systems. The system is very natural sounding and resolves fine detail. The soundstage is wide and deep, and the separation between instruments is very good.

Now, the SSP-800 is out. This is the only unit that I would consider moving to. It sounds like the SQ may be even better than the Denon. I would love to demo the SSP-800, but obviously the limited supply will hinder that for a while.

If I go to the SSP-800, I would have to do something about my Blueray player. It sends the high res signals out for decoding by the Prepro.

Oh, and I would have to do something about the SACD player. It sends high res signals out via the Denonlink. I would have to get an Oppo player.

So, the Denon does everything, and sounds great. I have no regrets because I needed something 8 months ago. The SSP-800 would have to have a clear SQ advantage for me to switch. We can all speculate on this, but I will wait for some head-to-head comparisons, and I'm in no hurry.

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Brooks,

The Denon AVP has performed flawlessly. My previous prepro (the Halcro) never worked, so I couldn't wait for the SSP-800. So no, I have no regrets. The Denon has been great the last ~8 months.

I have several 2 channel audio friends that all have dedicated 2-ch preamps. They have all commented how well the Denon is doing as a preamp. When we discuss my next upgrade, the AVP isn't mentioned. They suggest other things. I have upgraded the turntable, arm, cartridge, phono preamp, and cabling though.

I think this speaks volumes for the Denon. These people are used to dedicated 2-ch TT systems. The system is very natural sounding and resolves fine detail. The soundstage is wide and deep, and the separation between instruments is very good.

Now, the SSP-800 is out. This is the only unit that I would consider moving to. It sounds like the SQ may be even better than the Denon. I would love to demo the SSP-800, but obviously the limited supply will hinder that for a while.

If I go to the SSP-800, I would have to do something about my Blueray player. It sends the high res signals out for decoding by the Prepro.

Oh, and I would have to do something about the SACD player. It sends high res signals out via the Denonlink. I would have to get an Oppo player.

So, the Denon does everything, and sounds great. I have no regrets because I needed something 8 months ago. The SSP-800 would have to have a clear SQ advantage for me to switch. We can all speculate on this, but I will wait for some head-to-head comparisons, and I'm in no hurry.

Darrell
                        Thanks for the comprehensive review. I had the chance of listening to the Denon AVP yesterday that was set up in a home with Wilson speakers, and powered by the Denon amp. I was invited to audition by the installer company that just finished setting it up.

I have to agree with you that it sounds great. The imaging was excellent, as well as instruments separation. It also had a surprisingly smooth and pleasant sound with depth at the lower end frequencies. I walked away excited about it. The sound was really similar to my Classe components, but this is subjective with different speakers and environment, etc.

I also had the opportunity of speaking with the master broker for Denon in Florida, and with the largest Denon distributor in the State of Florida. Both assured me that any issues that may develop would be taken care of personally. This made me feel pretty good about the whole situation.

I have some thinking to do. :T

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Darrell
                          Darrell,

I'm a bit confused by this issue? My Sony ES CD player is analog. They say the best sound is achieved using their dacs and with analog RCA stereo connections. Why would you have to go to an Oppo, just because the Classe would not have the Denonlink?

I read about an issue with the Marantz AVP that some were having with clipping, when their CD players were connected via analog RCA. I'm not sure I understand this either.

Brooks

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

I had the chance of listening to the Denon AVP, The sound was really similar to my Classe components, but this is subjective with different speakers and environment, etc. I also had the opportunity of speaking with the master broker for Denon in Florida, and with the largest Denon distributor in the State of Florida. Both assured me that any issues that may develop would be taken care of personally. This made me feel pretty good about the whole situation. I have some thinking to do.
                            Cool it sounds like Denon did a great job selling you and it's $1000 cheaper than the Classé. I wished someone would put these two units side by side and compare them may be Kal when he gets a chance

I just had a long conversation with my dealer and I can't wait to go and listen to the Classé SSP-800. As it seems that the SSP-800 is truly superior to everything out there, thanks David.
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                              Cool it sounds like Denon did a great job selling you and it's $1000 cheaper than the Classé. I wished someone would put these two units side by side and compare them may be Kal when he gets a chance

I just had a long conversation with my dealer and I can't wait to go and listen to the Classé SSP-800. As it seems that the SSP-800 is truly superior to everything out there, thanks David.
                              It's actually more like a $500 difference between the two when buying through an authorized dealer, even after factoring whatever price break one can muster on either piece.

The Denon AVP is a special order piece and they are watching the discounts.

I spoke with three Classe dealers in Florida over the past week, and every one of them had the same comment as your dealer . . . that the SSP-800 will beat anything out there for sound. The only problem is, I also asked if any of them had heard the Denon AVP outside of a venue like Cedia, and all said no. None of the Classe dealers here are also Denon dealers.

So, I guess I'm wondering how they know this to be factual?

Comment

• dmccombs
                                • Sep 2006

Darrell,

I'm a bit confused by this issue? My Sony ES CD player is analog. They say the best sound is achieved using their dacs and with analog RCA stereo connections. Why would you have to go to an Oppo, just because the Classe would not have the Denonlink?

I read about an issue with the Marantz AVP that some were having with clipping, when their CD players were connected via analog RCA. I'm not sure I understand this either.

Brooks
                                Brooks,

My current CD/SACD player is the Denon 3930ci. To get high res output, I have to either go via Denonlink or the Analog outs. The 3930 Analog outs sound ok, but I think using an Oppo as a transport, and using the SSP-800 DACs, would yield better sound.

Darrell

Comment

• dmccombs
                                  • Sep 2006

I spoke with three Classe dealers in Florida over the past week, and every one of them had the same comment as your dealer . . . that the SSP-800 will beat anything out there for sound. The only problem is, I also asked if any of them had heard the Denon AVP outside of a venue like Cedia, and all said no. None of the Classe dealers here are also Denon dealers.
                                  It is good that you asked if they actually had heard the Denon. Its easy to assume that the Denon AVP is similar to the Denon receivers and that the SSP-800 will walk all over it.

This may end up to be true, but the Denon Separates are a couple steps above their receivers and I think head-to-head comparisons with the SSP-800 are warranted.

I'd lose a bit of respect/trust for any dealer that made blanket statements like that without even hearing the other unit involved.

If someone wants to send me an SSP-800, I will gladly do the head-to-head test. I could easily stay objective as I own Classe amps, Denon Source and Prepro, and think both companies make fine gear. I'd even promise to return one of the units after the test. :rofl:

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

Darrell,

Were you able to trigger your CAM-350's with your Denon AVP, or was it with a Delta Series SSP or pre-amp?

Since the Classe Delta Series supposedly cannot trigger the CAM-350's, according to what they said to me today, it would be a key factor in favor of the Denon AVP if it could.

I guess I can't figure out why a compatibility issue would be the case, when it is basically an electronic signal the forces the trigger?

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Brooks,

My current CD/SACD player is the Denon 3930ci. To get high res output, I have to either go via Denonlink or the Analog outs. The 3930 Analog outs sound ok, but I think using an Oppo as a transport, and using the SSP-800 DACs, would yield better sound.

Darrell
                                      Darrell,

I love my Sony ES CD player and it's rated A+ by Stereophile.

What I'm trying to figure out is the following:

If I connect my CD player to an SSP using the stereo RCA connections, then the DACS in my CD player are used?

If I connect my CD player to an SSP using the multi-channel RCA connections, then the DACS in the SSP are used?

If I connect my CD player to the SSP using an optical connection, then the DACS in the SSP are used for stereo and multi-channel?

I've always felt that a good pre-amp stands out of the way of the signal, and if this is the case, then it really doesn't matter what SSP I use for stereo, as long as I'm happy with my CD player?

I also feel that good quality amps and source player (sans speakers), have the greatest influence on the end product?

HT sounds good even on most mid priced processors. The only issue would be the quality of the sound for multi-channel music, and particularly SACD multi-channel hybrids.

If my assumptions are correct, then IMO, the Denon AVP may win the day, since we already know it would win hands down with features.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

I suggest you read this thread before deciding on the Denon:

I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• dmccombs
                                          • Sep 2006

Please see my responses in bold below.

Darrell,

If I connect my CD player to an SSP using the stereo RCA connections, then the DACS in my CD player are used? Correct

If I connect my CD player to an SSP using the multi-channel RCA connections, then the DACS in the SSP are used? Correct

If I connect my CD player to the SSP using an optical connection, then the DACS in the SSP are used for stereo and multi-channel? Correct

I've always felt that a good pre-amp stands out of the way of the signal, and if this is the case, then it really doesn't matter what SSP I use for stereo, as long as I'm happy with my CD player? Correct. this is where your receiver being in the loop with the SP-500 could be hurting you. The Receiver my not have a clean preamp.

I also feel that good quality amps and source player (sans speakers), have the greatest influence on the end product? Agreed, although (san speakers) I kinda subscribe to the "weakest link" principle.

HT sounds good even on most mid priced processors. The only issue would be the quality of the sound for multi-channel music, and particularly SACD multi-channel hybrids.

If my assumptions are correct, then IMO, the Denon AVP may win the day, since we already know it would win hands down with features.

Comment

• dmccombs
                                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                            I suggest you read this thread before deciding on the Denon:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1065162
                                            That's a terrific comparison. They seemed to highlght the characteristics of each prepro. Obviously in that setup (detailed speakers - not warm/lush), the Denon came off as bright. It appears the B&K may be a warmer piece, which in that case was a better fit.

Their write up highlights the need for system synergy. Too much detail comes off as harsh, not enough detail comes off as warm, but too sluggish.

What a great read.. Thanks for posting that. I am guessing that will help people a lot if they consider what they already have in their system.

Darrell

Comment

• alebonau
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

Darrell,

If I connect my CD player to an SSP using the stereo RCA connections, then the DACS in my CD player are used?

If I connect my CD player to an SSP using the multi-channel RCA connections, then the DACS in the SSP are used?

If I connect my CD player to the SSP using an optical connection, then the DACS in the SSP are used for stereo and multi-channel?

I've always felt that a good pre-amp stands out of the way of the signal, and if this is the case, then it really doesn't matter what SSP I use for stereo, as long as I'm happy with my CD player?

I also feel that good quality amps and source player (sans speakers), have the greatest influence on the end product?

hi beden, have the same sony scd-xa9000es sacd players. its dacs and analog output is superb, and how you want to hook it upto your cp500 pre for 2ch.

if hooking up its multichannel outs to your av pre, you will still be using the sonys dacs unless you use bass management and post processing in the pre-pro.

also good on you for checking out the denon for yourself and glad you found it much to your liking. flies in the face of what the classe crowd would have you believe !. I too have little respect for dealers that bad mouth brands and equiment they do not sell !

if considering anything be it the denon or any other, consider requesting a demo in your own system. only way to know for sure how well goes with your system & room and whether to your liking.
                                              "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2006

My edits are in bold.

Please see my responses in bold below.
                                                If I connect my CD player to an SSP using the multi-channel RCA connections, then the DACS in the SSP are used? Correct INCORRECT unless you have the SSP redigitize the signals. In that case, the DACs in the player and the SSP are used along with the ADC in the SSP.
                                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• beden1
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                  My edits are in bold.
                                                  As a layman, let me see if I understand you correctly. The multi-channel signal sent from the CD player to the SSP has been first converted through the CD's DACS. The signal is then taken into the SSP where it would be converted/manipulated into whatever soundstage setting, LFE, and room correction you had selected/set within the SSP?

So, the most critical role an SSP plays is with multi-channel, and in many cases video conversions as well?

Comment

• beden1
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
                                                    hi beden, have the same sony scd-xa9000es sacd players. its dacs and analog output is superb, and how you want to hook it upto your cp500 pre for 2ch.

if hooking up its multichannel outs to your av pre, you will still be using the sonys dacs unless you use bass management and post processing in the pre-pro.

also good on you for checking out the denon for yourself and glad you found it much to your liking. flies in the face of what the classe crowd would have you believe !. I too have little respect for dealers that bad mouth brands and equiment they do not sell !

if considering anything be it the denon or any other, consider requesting a demo in your own system. only way to know for sure how well goes with your system & room and whether to your liking.
                                                    The problem is, the Denon AVP is not being stocked or showcased for demo down here in FL. I guess it's too expensive to inventory given our crumbling economy of late. So, I will not be able to do an in-home demo.

The funny thing is with the SSP-800 as well, is that no dealer in SE Florida has received any units, let alone spent any quality time with it in their own demo rooms. All their doing is mimicking what they hear from the people at Classe.

I'm sure the SSP-800 is a very good unit, and it probably would fit my system the best. But, then you get comments like this one that starts you wondering again:

"Now potentially home theater quality will NOT sound like stereo quality if you used a different DAC's in the back and side channels. But no one company would be that stupid. I take that back, the new Class'e 800 (which is $8K) cheapened up on the DAC's for the rears and sides according to an AVS thread. Reason, to save a total of $40-$50!! REALLY. I diverge."

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2006

As a layman, let me see if I understand you correctly. The multi-channel signal sent from the CD player to the SSP has been first converted through the CD's DACS. The signal is then taken into the SSP where it would be converted/manipulated into whatever soundstage setting, LFE, and room correction you had selected/set within the SSP?
                                                      Yes and, since those manipulations are done in the digital domain, the analog signal must redigitized and, of course, converted back to analog at the SSP output.

So, the most critical role an SSP plays is with multi-channel, and in many cases video conversions as well?
                                                      I do not understand the question.
                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                      _______________________________
                                                      "Music in the Round"
                                                      Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                      http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• beden1
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2006

Yes and, since those manipulations are done in the digital domain, the analog signal must redigitized and, of course, converted back to analog at the SSP output.

I do not understand the question.
                                                        When it is primarily a digital to analog conversion, at what point does the SSP make a difference in how the final output sounds? What primarily sets one SSP above another when it is a digital domain, aside from features?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2006

When it is primarily a digital to analog conversion, at what point does the SSP make a difference in how the final output sounds?
                                                          Sorry. Are you asking whether the DA conversion makes a difference? Yes, it does and some are better than others.

What primarily sets one SSP above another when it is a digital domain, aside from features?
                                                          Hard to say. Perhaps the DSP engines and supporting chips are responsible but the algorithms that run them may vary as well.
                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                          _______________________________
                                                          "Music in the Round"
                                                          Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                          http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                            • Sep 2006

My edits are in bold.
                                                            Yep, Kal is correct. I allowed my train of thought to get interrupted while replying. Good catch Kal.

While you could redigitze the signal to allow Audyssey or some other EQ to function, I prefer to use the Analog bypass.

Comment

• beden1
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2006

Yep, Kal is correct. I allowed my train of thought to get interrupted while replying. Good catch Kal.

While you could redigitze the signal to allow Audyssey or some other EQ to function, I prefer to use the Analog bypass.
                                                              I have been reading the pre-pro shootout threads over at AVS. Did you have the same bright, too forward feeling out-of-the-box as they did when you first hooked up your AVP? Did that settle down in time.

I did not get that sense yesterday when I listened to it, and I thought I've read how the Wilsons seem to be on the bright side? The AVP was also brand new out-of-the-box factory fresh.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

Now that I'm thinking about it though, they did design/install room treatments, and had used the Audessey when installing the unit.

This was something that I was also interested in with establishing a relationship with this HT custom design/installation group. I was thinking of having them help me set up some automation for my system in the way of a universal remote, as well as look at my listening room to come up with some improvements.

As for the Denon AVP, I've also been reading how Kal seems impressed with the capabilities of Audessey, and particularly Audessey Pro.

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                                  • Sep 2006

I have been reading the pre-pro shootout threads over at AVS. Did you have the same bright, too forward feeling out-of-the-box as they did when you first hooked up your AVP? Did that settle down in time.

I did not get that sense yesterday when I listened to it, and I thought I've read how the Wilsons seem to be on the bright side? The AVP was also brand new out-of-the-box factory fresh.
                                                                  Beden,

There was a little bit of a warm up period. The sound seemed to smooth out over the first week but it was subtle. I think what they described was due more to having very detailed speakers with the AVP. I don't know if the amps are more detailed or warm, but if the amps are detailed too, I could see the overall system sounding bright.

I have the Classe amps, and B&W 802D speakers. My audio friends describe my system as balanced. Detailed but not harsh highs, moderate mid range, well defined bass, not overwhelming, and not wimpy.

The Denon AVP does not make a system bright. I think it is pretty neutral overall. You have the CAM-350s. They are a touch on the warm side. I bet they would match well with the AVP.

It's too bad your dealer doesn't have a demo. It is the best way to know how the AVP will gel with the rest of your system. My dealer here actually carries the AVP in stock. He carries Krell and Denon and has sold several of the AVPs.

If I were buying now. I would try to at least hear both the Denon AVP and the SSP-800 before buying. If you can't hear them in your home, at least find a way to hear them at the dealer.

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

Beden,

If I were buying now. I would try to at least hear both the Denon AVP and the SSP-800 before buying. If you can't hear them in your home, at least find a way to hear them at the dealer.

Darrell
                                                                    I decided to wait and see if I can actually demo any of the units in-house. But, I'm wondering if it is worth the wait on the Classe SSP-800?

I have a real bad taste in my mouth for Classe right now, and I'm trying to determine how much I can take for the sake of sound quality.
                                                                    Last edited by beden1; 02 October 2008, 17:24 Thursday.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

"Now potentially home theater quality will NOT sound like stereo quality if you used a different DAC's in the back and side channels. But no one company would be that stupid. I take that back, the new Class'e 800 (which is $8K) cheapened up on the DAC's for the rears and sides according to an AVS thread. Reason, to save a total of $40-$50!! REALLY. I diverge."
                                                                      http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1065162&page=6

I really feel that people speak out of line when they make comments like these without first hearing the product. You should take peoples comments with a grain of salt if they have not had a chance to hear it for themselves.
                                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2008

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1065162&page=6
                                                                        I read through that thread a few days ago and that guy's logic is all over the place. In one breath he says what you quoted above, and in the next he says he doesn't care what parts are used as long as it subjectively sounds good.

He and several others also stated that the Denon Prepro soundy edgy/peaky, but then he tries to explain that away by saying that the Denon is only showing what is on the recording. How does he know that unless he was present at the mastering of the recording?

In my experience, most components add some character to the sound and my last processor (Lexicon) sounded edgy/peaky (not that the Denon is, I haven't heard it). For the time that I owned the Lex, I thought the peakiness was a combination of my room and the recording. Having listened to the same songs on the same speakers in the same room through the SSP-800, those peaks are gone, yet the sound is still full of life and dynamic.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                          • 1676

What may bring the SSP-800 home for me is how it sounds in two channel as compared to the CP-700.

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"