• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

SSP600 or SSP800 ?

Hallo,

I have changed my power-ampli from Rotel to Classe (CA5200).

Now the pre will be too changed:

Buy a SSP600 (old but always a great pre/pro!) or go with the SSP800.

The 800 have much more...(new encodings (in a little time), hdmi,....) but is also the budget that plays a part in this speech..........
    (certainly the 600 cost much less than a 800 - if ever available immediately.)

At this moment Idrive the CA5200 with a Rotel pre/pro...
    another solution can be the new Marantz AV8003 but vs. the Classe SSP600 I think the 600 will the better Or?

Thanks for opinion...
    greetings Omar
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

No answer. Why are you upgrading? Once you define what it is you are looking for, you will have most of the answer.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

@Kal Rubinson,

only why if I buy a AV8003 in this momnet I dont want buy a SSP800 in a paar month!!!

A single purchase: the right one.

Is not expedient to change pre/pro every 6 months ....
      when I buy the AV8003 I have to be happy ...
      (I use my system to 90% for movies)

If I can combine the SSP600 with a graet BD player (Denon3800 or Marantz?) I have the new coding in the player and not use those in the pre / pro = the same result as 800?

Many people have a scaler or decoders in the pre / pro, in DVD player and plasma ... it just one ... but what works better?

Omar

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
        @Kal Rubinson,

only why if I buy a AV8003 in this momnet I dont want buy a SSP800 in a paar month!!!

If I can combine the SSP600 with a graet BD player (Denon3800 or Marantz?) I have the new coding in the player and not use those in the pre / pro = the same result as 800?

Many people have a scaler or decoders in the pre / pro, in DVD player and plasma ... it just one ... but what works better?

Omar
        If you use your system 90% for movies, then IMO you should get a pre-pro or receiver with the most features and with HDMI 1.3. Even if you have the player do the decoding, you still need HDMI to pass the most benefit from the new codecs. The SSP600 will not do this for you. The Marantz or new Integra coming out should do a great job for what you primarily do with your system. The SSP-800 or the SSP-600 would do the best job if you are listening more to music, and video is secondary.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

@Kal Rubinson,

Omar
          The SSP-800 is in an entirely different league than the SSP-300/600. It may cost you more to get the 800, but would be cheaper than buying a stop-gap and buying it later anyways.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Omar, I use my system to 90% for movies
            I would then forget the Classé SSP-800 and go with the Denon ($7K) or the Integra DTC 9.9 ($2K) to be released at CEDIA.

Classé SSP-800 will be better for music so I am told but has no Audyssey EQ or THX or Realta HQV chip. Classé SSP-800 is built for music and especially for analogue if I understand correctly.

Kal might do the honors to compare both units and tell us which one is on top:rofl: For me the Denon seems overkill, I don't need DVD upsacling my JVC RS-2 does an amaizing job and I am switching entirely to blu ray no switching needed. also quality is not that great an number of my friends have always had problems with Denon, contrary to Sony ES line.

One major thing to think about customer service for Classé is 10 time better than Denon or Integra for that matter!
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
              I would then forget the Classé SSP-800 and go with the Denon ($7K) or the Integra DTC 9.9 ($2K) to be released at CEDIA.

Classé SSP-800 will be better for music so I am told but has no Audyssey EQ or THX or Realta HQV chip. Classé SSP-800 is built for music and especially for analogue if I understand correctly.
              !
              While the SSP-800 excels at music, based on my experience with the different products I have heard in the past, I would say the SSP-800 is the best sounding surround sound processor avaialble on the market today and probably won't be topped for some time.

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Thank for replysssssss,

But as I understand it does not pay to buy the ssp 800 for a Movie-fan?
                too expensive to watch "only" movie?

I have a Pioneer Kuro full hd and I dont like the idea of putting Denon with the classe, I prefer the Marantz (Marco Lisi here in the forum I spoke very good of AV8003 : A lot better than the Denon.....

Integra does not arrive in Europe ....Audyssey EQ will be not a big problem:
                I have a friend who works at B&W tells me that it is better to run this by a man not a machine (and if I can have this setting free the Audyssey is not much important...)

@beden1: but at end is only one geart that work the video is not a mix from pre/pto plus player +.... Or I am wrong?

go with a separat scaler like DVDO will be the better solution over all OR?

the set: Marantz AV8003 - Classe CA5200 and a BD player Marantz
                or
                more expensive but with much life time?? SSP800 - CA5200 and a BD Marantz or Denon 3800...

Omar

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  While the SSP-800 excels at music, based on my experience with the different products I have heard in the past, I would say the SSP-800 is the best sounding surround sound processor available on the market today and probably won't be topped for some time.
                  So you are saying that evens so it doesn't support Dolby Tru HD or DTS Master Audio is still sounds better than Denon AVP, Integra DTC 9.8, Lexicon MC12HD for movies.... have you compared them?

You see my issue is with statements like "the SSP-800 is the best sounding surround sound processor available on the market today and probably won't be topped for some time". Unless you have like Kal compared surround sound processors in real time, your statement is an unsubstantiated opinionWhat new processor have you listen to recently beside the SSP-800?
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

I have a friend who works at B&W tells me that it is better to run this by a man not a machine (and if I can have this setting free the Audyssey is not much important...)
                    Sure. The problems are that (1) the hardware has to have sufficiently sophisticated filtering capabilities (via DSP) and (2) the "man" has to have equally sophisticated measuring and programming abilities. The vast majority of both do not.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Thank for replysssssss,

But as I understand it does not pay to buy the ssp 800 for a Movie-fan?
                      too expensive to watch "only" movie?

I have a Pioneer Kuro full hd and I dont like the idea of putting Denon with the classe, I prefer the Marantz (Marco Lisi here in the forum I spoke very good of AV8003 : A lot better than the Denon.....

Integra does not arrive in Europe ....Audyssey EQ will be not a big problem:

@beden1: but at end is only one geart that work the video is not a mix from pre/pto plus player +.... Or I am wrong?

go with a separat scaler like DVDO will be the better solution over all OR?

the set: Marantz AV8003 - Classe CA5200 and a BD player Marantz
                      or
                      more expensive but with much life time?? SSP800 - CA5200 and a BD Marantz or Denon 3800...

Omar
                      My dealer sells the Marantz AV8003 as well as the Classe SSP-800. He really likes the Marantz AV8003, and said that if music was secondary, he would highly suggest buying the Marantz. He also said the Marantz sounds very good, however.

He said to buy the Classe SSP-800 if sound is critically important, and then use your DVD/Blu-Ray player(s) and 1080p TV for Hi-def cable TV upscaling and playing blu-ray video. The SSP-800 will have the upgrade and the eventual ability to play all hi-def codecs, so I am counting on this unit to be one of, if not the best sounding pre-pro on the market. Audio is the most important issue for me.

You will need to have an HDMI connection to keep up with whatever surround sound hi-def codecs that become available and for blu-ray pass through, so get something with HDMI. Your Kuro can do video upscaling from the cable TV source, and your Blu-Ray player can do DVD upscaling and play Blu-Ray material. But, possibly the Marantz will do a better job of DVD upscaling and cable TV hi-def upscaling?

The Marantz AV8003 also has many other useful features and connections for all sorts of video and audio sources, as well as room correction features.

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

So you are saying that evens so it doesn't support Dolby Tru HD or DTS Master Audio is still sounds better than Denon AVP, Integra DTC 9.8, Lexicon MC12HD for movies.... have you compared them?

You see my issue is with statements like "the SSP-800 is the best sounding surround sound processor available on the market today and probably won't be topped for some time". Unless you have like Kal compared surround sound processors in real time, your statement is an unsubstantiated opinionWhat new processor have you listen to recently beside the SSP-800?
                        I have heard the Lexicon 12HD, The Mark Levinson No502, the Integra (with both Audyssey and Trinnov) and the Crestron pre/pro with Audyssey.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006

I have heard the Lexicon 12HD, The Mark Levinson No502, the Integra (with both Audyssey and Trinnov) and the Crestron pre/pro with Audyssey.
                          Integra with Trinnov??? :E

Kal
                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

And Classé came on top? :T Well then we should start reading reviews in the Absolute Sound, Stereophile, What HiFi and so on I am looking forward to it.....

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

And Classé came on top? :T Well then we should start reading reviews in the Absolute Sound, Stereophile, What HiFi and so on I am looking forward to it.....
                              There you go again being a Doubting Thomas! Before making judgements on other's experiences, just wait to make your own decision when you get the opportunity of listening to the SSP-800, and doing your own comparison to SSP's from other manufacturers.

I'm sure we will all be interested to learn about your impressions, just as we are from the others who frequent this forum.

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

@Kal
                                Sure. The problems are that (1) the hardware has to have sufficiently sophisticated filtering capabilities (via DSP) and (2) the "man" has to have equally sophisticated measuring and programming abilities. The vast majority of both do not.
                                If a B&W man, that make this job (Audyssey EQ calibration) every day, with the 600 and now with the 800 have the hardware and the programming abilities too......

In Switzerland if you buy a Classe vou pay the a service. I have recieved the CA5200 not per post!!
                                A dealer came to my home with 5200, removed from the package and has connected completely.
                                (I have helped him but this service do so for a contract not for those who can not do it)
                                Top service. :T

At the question becouse the 800 dont have the autocalibration the sales department B&W say only: Is not necessary!

Der SSP600 hat ein Setup Mikro, das aber unnötig ist. Der SSP800 verzichtet sogar darauf. Ein "Audissey Setup" ist wie ein Fertigemenü im Mikrowellenofen zubereitet - man muss nicht kochen können um sowas zu essen. Ein Setup von einem Experten ist jeder Automatik überlegen.

Sorry but this is in germany and is waht the B&W have me said over Audyssey.

Omar

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

I am not arguing with your situation, Omar, although it is quite different from what is typical in the USA. However, with the new AudysseyPro software being released this week, I think the scales will tip, making it a matter of preference. Note, I am referring to the use of the Pro software, not the consumer auto setup.

Kal
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                    I am not arguing with your situation, Omar, although it is quite different from what is typical in the USA. However, with the new AudysseyPro software being released this week, I think the scales will tip, making it a matter of preference. Note, I am referring to the use of the Pro software, not the consumer auto setup.

Kal
                                    Would you be more specific and less vague? Are you saying that Audyssey Pro with any receiver/ pre-pro negates the quality build and selection of parts in the SSP-800?

I think you will eat those words when you finally do get your hands on the SSP-800.

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                      You will need to have an HDMI connection to keep up with whatever surround sound hi-def codecs that become available and for blu-ray pass through, so get something with HDMI. Your Kuro can do video upscaling from the cable TV source, and your Blu-Ray player can do DVD upscaling and play Blu-Ray material. But, possibly the Marantz will do a better job of DVD upscaling and cable TV hi-def upscaling?

The Marantz AV8003 also has many other useful features and connections for all sorts of video and audio sources, as well as room correction features.
                                      The Marantz does very little video processing, "The only video processing offered by the AV8003 is converting analog 480/576i and 480/576p to the display's native resolution via HDMI. The unit will transcode incoming 720p and 1080i analog signals to HDMI, but there is no upconversion or deinterlacing for these resolutions." http://www.ultimateavmag.com/amplifiers/808mar/

Also, it should not matter where the decoding is done, all that the BD player is doing is "unpacking" a file and sending it on its way, the difference will come in the respective processing capabilities (DACs) of the BD player or the processor.

Omar, I think it will come down to what you need from your music, if you are as you say using it 90 for HT then focus on that primary goal as what makes sense. You then have a lot more choices as to what to do.

skz

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by skuzzyb
                                        The Marantz does very little video processing, "The only video processing offered by the AV8003 is converting analog 480/576i and 480/576p to the display's native resolution via HDMI. The unit will transcode incoming 720p and 1080i analog signals to HDMI, but there is no upconversion or deinterlacing for these resolutions." http://www.ultimateavmag.com/amplifiers/808mar/

skz
                                        I wasn't aware that the AV8003 does not upscale to 1080p. I stopped researching the unit early on, and didn't follow it too closely after I made the decision to get the SSP-800.

My main point to the OP is that if his primary enjoyment comes from video, then he has many other choices of pre-pros that can get the job done without having to poney up for the SSP-800.

Thanks for the information.

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

Here's an option that was just announced that looks very interesting from Rotel:

RSP-1570 Surround Processor/Preamplifier
                                          The RSP-1570 Surround Processor/Preamplifier marries the RSX-1560 flagship receiver to separate components.

The RSP-1570 7.1-channel pre/pro offers four HDMI v1.3 ports with Deep Color and xvYCC. It supports Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and dts-HD Master Audio.

Other features include: Faroudja video processing, 1080p/24Hz compliance, RS-232C and IR control and assignable 12-volt triggers.

It’s expandable up to four zones and has 3U cabinet. MSRP: $2,199

Rotel Unveils New Flagship 15 Series

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                            Here's an option that was just announced that looks very interesting from Rotel:

RSP-1570 Surround Processor/Preamplifier
                                            The RSP-1570 Surround Processor/Preamplifier marries the RSX-1560 flagship receiver to separate components.

The RSP-1570 7.1-channel pre/pro offers four HDMI v1.3 ports with Deep Color and xvYCC. It supports Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and dts-HD Master Audio.

Other features include: Faroudja video processing, 1080p/24Hz compliance, RS-232C and IR control and assignable 12-volt triggers.

It’s expandable up to four zones and has 3U cabinet. MSRP: $2,199

Rotel Unveils New Flagship 15 Series
                                            On paper it looks pretty good, I wonder how long between announcement and actual production? That would be a very viable option for a lot of individuals who want the SQ on a limited budget.

skz

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2006

Would you be more specific and less vague? Are you saying that Audyssey Pro with any receiver/ pre-pro negates the quality build and selection of parts in the SSP-800?

I think you will eat those words when you finally do get your hands on the SSP-800.
                                              I won't eat those words because they are yours, not mine.

I was comparing what the new 3.0 AudysseyPro will do in a competent hand with what a similarly competent hand can do with any parametric EQ, such as the one in the SSP-800. The major gripe, all right, my major gripe about Audyssey has been the lack of facilities to modify/tune the results, set target curves and store/restore more than one EQ configuration. Those, I have been told, are now included.

I did not say anything or mean to imply anything about the rest of any processor. I certainly would not say anything about the SSP-800 until I get my hands and ears on one. (That concern has not restricted others.)

So, I was not being vague at all nor was I making any global subjective conclusions.

Kal
                                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• style
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Feb 2006

Hallo skuzzyb,

Omar, I think it will come down to what you need from your music, if you are as you say using it 90 for HT then focus on that primary goal as what makes sense. You then have a lot more choices as to what to do.
                                                Ok, many other solutions on the horizon ... perhaps a scaler (DVDO? new edge gear?) separate is the best thing and new codecs use what's inside the DVD player ...

many other solutions on the horizon ... perhaps a scaler (DVDO?) separate is the best thing and new codecs use what's inside the DVD player ...

I am surprised that the AV8003 is not a good video processor ...

I have been saying that a Denon 4308 gives me more of a AV8003! (no XLR and much more ..)
                                                With this path in a short time devrò spend more money for a new pre/pro ....

So why not make a sacrifice more and go with the ssp800?
                                                and are you not happy with the ssp600?
                                                Omar

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

I won't eat those words because they are yours, not mine.
                                                  : fair enough. Your statement read more like an incomplete thought to me. Its all in good fun. no angst here.

I was comparing what the new 3.0 AudysseyPro will do in a competent hand with what a similarly competent hand can do with any parametric EQ, such as the one in the SSP-800. The major gripe, all right, my major gripe about Audyssey has been the lack of facilities to modify/tune the results, set target curves and store/restore more than one EQ configuration. Those, I have been told, are now included.

I did not say anything or mean to imply anything about the rest of any processor. I certainly would not say anything about the SSP-800 until I get my hands and ears on one. (That concern has not restricted others.)

So, I was not being vague at all nor was I making any global subjective conclusions.

Kal
                                                  While I understand your position on Audyssey, I still don't come away with an impression on a recommendation for style from you. Since you comment on Audyssey, but little else, it leads me to believe that you recommend something with audyssey over other alternatives (such as an SSP-600 or SSP-800). That is why I concluded what I said. The last sentence was more a statement of passion than anything. hope it wasn't taken personal. :B

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2003

Hallo skuzzyb,

Ok, many other solutions on the horizon ... perhaps a scaler (DVDO? new edge gear?) separate is the best thing and new codecs use what's inside the DVD player ...

many other solutions on the horizon ... perhaps a scaler (DVDO?) separate is the best thing and new codecs use what's inside the DVD player ...

I have been saying that a Denon 4308 gives me more of a AV8003! (no XLR and much more ..)

Omar
                                                    I have found in the past that when I take a cheaper route from what I really want, I only end up spending more money. I buy the cheaper product, but really am not satisfied. I end up selling it for a loss and buying what I want in the end anyways.

The SSP-600 is a great pre-pro. Since Classe is replacing it with the SSP-800, you will see even better deals on it moving forward. Mine sold for around $3200US on audiogon. The problem I had with it was the lack of bass mgmt on the 7.1 analog by-pass, which is correct by design. When HDDVD and Blu-Ray came out, requiring the +10b on LFE, I had no way to correct it, without making compromises. It was a deal breaker for me and so I continued to use Optical. It might be possible that some players are supporting this boost internal, which would fix this problem.

With that being said, you do have many options. Since this is a Classe board, you will get people that will steer you towards sticking with Classe. Ultimately, you have to do what is best for you. For me, the SSP-800 will have a great deal of longevity.

Comment

• style
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Feb 2006

Hallo,

I agree with you sikoniko, at 100% expecially in this part:
                                                      I have found in the past that when I take a cheaper route from what I really want, I only end up spending more money. I buy the cheaper product, but really am not satisfied. I end up selling it for a loss and buying what I want in the end anyways.
                                                      the 600 in Switzerland can I have for $. 7800.- ca. (new is $12500.-)
                                                      the 800 I have for $ 10000.- (new, brochure price is $ 13000.-)

well if the Marantz is not at the level from a good A/V pre/pro and the Denon is not my typ.....

Omar

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

I have found in the past that when I take a cheaper route from what I really want, I only end up spending more money. I buy the cheaper product, but really am not satisfied.
                                                        I agree I had the opportunity to buy a pair of B&W Nautilus brand new several years ago at $28,000 today they are $60,000 and I can't touch them.

So having said that, I probably will end-up buying the Classé SSP-800 once it decodes Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master Audio. Even so it doesn't have all the bells and whistle. :B

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2006

: fair enough. Your statement read more like an incomplete thought to me. Its all in good fun. no angst here.

While I understand your position on Audyssey, I still don't come away with an impression on a recommendation for style from you. Since you comment on Audyssey, but little else, it leads me to believe that you recommend something with audyssey over other alternatives (such as an SSP-600 or SSP-800). That is why I concluded what I said. The last sentence was more a statement of passion than anything. hope it wasn't taken personal. :B
                                                          Take a deep breath. My comments are what they are and any deeper inferences that you think you see about specific hardware products are not there. I was comparing AudysseyPro to other approaches based on PEQs. That is it.

Kal
                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                          _______________________________
                                                          "Music in the Round"
                                                          Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                          http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Take a deep breath. My comments are what they are and any deeper inferences that you think you see about specific hardware products are not there. I was comparing AudysseyPro to other approaches based on PEQs. That is it. Kal
                                                            Kal, You have to understand that unless you believe in Classé SSP-800, all comments and/or criticism will be attacked ferociously :B

Classé SSP-800 is the end all and be all;x( nothing else comes close. So Kal you just have to trust the powers that be. I can't wait until you have a Classé SSP-800 to review and dissect this beast so you can tell the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

Comment

• Hberg
                                                              • Apr 2008

Kal, You have to understand that unless you believe in Classé SSP-800, all comments and/or criticism will be attacked ferociously :B

Classé SSP-800 is the end all and be all;x( nothing else comes close. So Kal you just have to trust the powers that be. I can't wait until you have a Classé SSP-800 to review and dissect this beast so you can tell the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...
                                                              Keep in mind that some of us don't necessarily attack. I for one simply read through the posts to garner what information may be useful.
                                                              "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

No one need be on the offensive nor on the defensive but suggestions would prove more helpful and would avoid tangential discussions if they remained on topic. The OP asked for pros and cons between the SSP-600 and the SSP-800, you offered none in your initial response. Why?

Don't trouble trouble unless trouble troubles you. :W
                                                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                                  • Mar 2006

Hallo skuzzyb,

Omar
                                                                  Hello Omar

I am very happy with my SSP600, in fact so happy that I am in no rush to go out and get the SSP800. I think that chasing technology is a false economy as there will always be something bigger, better, more sexy, etc. I will get the SSP800 eventually, like when the new boards are available, but as you pointed out, 90% of your needs are HT and there are lots of good HT pre/pros out there, and some that actually decode the new hirez signals. How important that is will be up to you as all BD players handle some level of decoding which lessens the need for a pre/pro to do it. If you need video processing, and that is of ultimate importance to you then your choices would then change to the Denon, a few others, or an independent video processor such as the Anchor Bay, which I have not heard good nor bad about, only that it is adequate.

I see your point in making the sacrifice now and getting the SSP800, i everything that is said about it is true, sounds like it may be the second coming.... seriously, all reports say that it is an amazing processor, but I like to see and hear things myself before making such a recommendation. It is good to get ringing endorsements from the individuals on this forum as I have a lot of respect for the opinions, but that to me serves more as a validation versus using it to make a final decision, that should be left up to you since you have to live with the decision.

I am sure you do not want to have to purchase something that in a few months you may have to change it, unless you have money to burn, and nothing loses value like consumer electronics, especially ones that are mass produced like the denons and marantz of the world.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would either wait for the SSP800 and the new board, or since video processing seems to be a big requirement, buy something other than the SSP800 such as the Denon AVPH1HD which would fit all your video and HT needs.

skz

Comment

• style
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2006

Hy skz,
                                                                    thank you for "review"...

well buy a pre / pro .- $ 10000 is not a thing that does it.
                                                                    you must have a passion for this "hobby" ....

I think that chasing technology is a false economy as there will always be something bigger, better, more sexy, etc
                                                                    Agree
                                                                    but that to me serves more as a validation versus using it to make a final decision, that should be left up to you since you have to live with the decision.
                                                                    Agree
                                                                    I am sure you do not want to have to purchase something that in a few months you may have to change it, unless you have money to burn, and nothing loses value like consumer electronics, especially ones that are mass produced like the denons and marantz of the world.
                                                                    Agree
                                                                    I dont no you much is priced the Denon AVPH1HD in your country but I go pay the same price for the ssp800 -> ssp800 vs. AVPH1HD: My decision is pro ssp800...

Another good pre/pro: exemple? please.
                                                                    I dont will buy a Denon 4308 or a Yamaha ?? and in 6 month go changing all..
                                                                    (and sell the "new" 4308 or so like one for $. 700.- (buyed for $ 2000)...

I really like see movies with my system...I have over 3000 original dvd and 150 BD & 45 HD toshiba (Hdex1 software version 3 just recieved!) and only
                                                                    30-40 dvd music concert!!!

Omar

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by skuzzyb
                                                                      The Marantz does very little video processing, "The only video processing offered by the AV8003 is converting analog 480/576i and 480/576p to the display's native resolution via HDMI. The unit will transcode incoming 720p and 1080i analog signals to HDMI, but there is no upconversion or deinterlacing for these resolutions."

skz
                                                                      Hi skz,

The Listening Post in Hamilton reckons that the AV8003 incorporates Marantz’s first built-in video scaler from Anchor Bay for enhanced video performance, with upconversion and scaling to 1080p from all analogue and digital sources.

Marantz themselves confirm this.

Shop the Marantz™ official site. Founded by legendary acoustic expert Saul Marantz. Discover exceptional AV with our receivers, amplifiers, & more.

Strange!

Nigel.

Comment

• style
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2006

Hallo,

Wow what can REALLY this AV8003?

..sure is not at the level from the ssp800 but with a price/performance
                                                                        is a "good news"...
                                                                        (AV8003 = €. 2900 ca. = $ 4200.- ca.)

Germanybook review:
                                                                        Das Test- und Technik-Magazin für HiFi- und Surround-Enthusiasten. Die Stereoplay Redaktion testet für Sie.

greetings Omar

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                                          Hi skz,

The Listening Post in Hamilton reckons that the AV8003 incorporates Marantz’s first built-in video scaler from Anchor Bay for enhanced video performance, with upconversion and scaling to 1080p from all analogue and digital sources.

Marantz themselves confirm this.

Shop the Marantz™ official site. Founded by legendary acoustic expert Saul Marantz. Discover exceptional AV with our receivers, amplifiers, & more.

Strange!

Nigel.
                                                                          I am not saying it does no scaling, what I am saying is that all it does is transcode digital signals (720p 1080i) via HDMI and upscales everything else that comes in the analog inputs, 480/576i but will do nothing to 720p or 1080i signals except pass through. The user manual also states this explicitly.

Comment

• style
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                            • 1562

Hallo skuzzyb,

I decided for the SSP800.

I have sproked with my friend in B&W Switzerland and have I recieved a great service (and price :T ) for the 800.

The B&W come at my home (and not a dealer from Classe but direct the B&W importeur!)
                                                                            and they bringt the 800 to my for the placing & setting too (no words!)

discussion with B&W:
                                                                            ...I will that you have a perfect calibration and setting with the new ssp800:
                                                                            ANY price surcharge (well is too true the I have much money to the B&W payed in 2 years - speakers, electronics,...)
                                                                            ...for new encodings (upgrade for the HD sound) B&W Switzerland has not yet decided how to proceed ...
                                                                            go by each customer and then upgrade and a top setup or do run by dealer ....
                                                                            (principle is "only" of a plaque / bridge between the DSP already present and the new that allows the new coding - more software.
                                                                            B&W wants every 800 sold is positioned with the best setup possible ... do not want to play the proper name for a short ..
                                                                            ---------------------

the ssp800 make a great combo with the 5200..and if I go with the Marantz AV8003 (ca. $4600!) and a good separate scaler (like DVDO or so like that)
                                                                            I go save a paar k $, but versus the ssp800 and dont have the same resultat....(longevity)

at the moment I have a dvd player (denon3930), Toshiba HDEX1 vers.3,
                                                                            Sony BD ps3 and the 300.....(the HD dic are better from bluray for me...)
                                                                            I think to go sell the 3930, the BD s300, ps3 and replace all with a BD Denon 3800..(good for BD,DVD and cd too) one only one clean setup.

next the Classe BDP300 :T

greetings Omar

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 106

#39
                                                                              Omar, good choice, I am a huge fan of the Classe gear as I do not think you can get any better sound for the money. Of course you can always get marginally better sound but you have to pay significantly more for it. Good luck.

skz

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

#40
                                                                                Interesting Here is the upgrade Classe is talking about for the SSP-800.

They are waiting for TI to supply the Momentum Data Systems MDS DAE-7D (7103) Module- Dual Texas Instruments Aureus DA710 Chips).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"