X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hi-Fi News Reviews the CDP-202

A new review of the CDP-202 comes from the August issue of Hi-Fi News Magazine. I think the article does a commendable job in capturing the real essence of the player. A few excerpts are provided below.

"I anticipated the very solid-state/digital malaise that keeps me wedded to analogue valves 'n' vinyl. The CDP-202 was having none of it, immediately demonstrating a top-end free of fatigue-inducing nasties."
    "What the overall effect boils down to is impressive presence, especially the rich lower registers, held in check by beautiful tonal balance. No part of the sonic landscape dominates - at least not so you'd notice it to the point of annoyance. This component seems to have been voiced by someone who loves natural sounds especially vocals and unplugged instruments."
    A few remarks about DVD-A discs are included and I think the author was spot on with them.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

one of my favorite CD players ;x(

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
      A new review of the CDP-202 comes from the August issue of Hi-Fi News Magazine. I think the article does a commendable job in capturing the real essence of the player. A few excerpts are provided below.
      Do you know if Classé has the review on pdf yet?:lol:
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I don't think it is available yet. There are older reviews from Hi-Fi Choice and stereophile posted on the Classé website if you haven't seen them.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

I don't think it is available yet. There are older reviews from Hi-Fi Choice and stereophile posted on the Classé website if you haven't seen them.
          Thanks RebelMan, It's to bad you can't print the Stereophile review :cry:
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Fido
            • Mar 2008

Well I must say, I absolutely LOVE my cdp-202. Hey Rebelman, send me that mag....I'll send it back as soon as I read it. Of course it may be cheaper to just go buy a copy...lol
            Thanks for the heads up Reb...!

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Fido
              Well I must say, I absolutely LOVE my cdp-202. Hey Rebelman, send me that mag....I'll send it back as soon as I read it. Of course it may be cheaper to just go buy a copy...lol
              Thanks for the heads up Reb...!
              Fido, I don't want to nitpick but the quote is:

"We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end".

It's a good quote so worth getting right, if you don't mind me saying so.

Here's another one of his that I like:

"Impartiality is a pompous name for indifference, which is an elegant name for ignorance."

Nigel.

Comment

• rompower
                • May 2008

Anyone did a demo between the 202 and the 102? I'd like to see some comments about both.
                thanks

I'm hesiting between the 102, cdt-300 and the cdp-202 and.. the marantz sa-7s1 (the new reference cd)

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I have not done a direct A/B with the CDP-102 but the CDP-102 shares the same audio boards as the CDP-300 which I have compared to the CDP-202. I wrote my thoughts down some time ago but I would need to dig up the notes.

Comment

• rompower
                    • May 2008

Dig Dig please
                    thanks

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

I found my notes, they are in shorthand...

cdp-202

tempered and sensuous highs
                      warm, dark and sensual midrange
                      natural and authoritative lows
                      relaxed listening
                      smooth and slightly reserved
                      a sense of analog air
                      refined overall

cdp-300

extended and zingy highs
                      cool, bright and sassy midrange
                      synthetic and pretentious lows
                      energetic listening
                      detailed and slightly spirited
                      a sense of digital air
                      dynamic overall

The differences were more or less subtle in certain areas but this was how each player's character was impressed upon me.

Comment

• Fido
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bigburner
                        Fido, I don't want to nitpick but the quote is:

"We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end".

It's a good quote so worth getting right, if you don't mind me saying so.

Here's another one of his that I like:

"Impartiality is a pompous name for indifference, which is an elegant name for ignorance."

Nigel.
                        Well brother Nigel, you are nitpicking. Haahaha...just kidding. I have sent a querry to the Chesterton society to verify the correct wording of the quote and to get a verification of the written source material so I can look it up for myself. I found this quote on a website and printed it off verbatim. However...I really can't see either wording destroying the overall meaning of the quotation.
                        If you have an actual, official Chesterton book or publication in which the "correct" quotation appears please let me know so I can look it up. Next time please try and correct me a bit more discreetly. It's only proper. Thanks friend.

Comment

• Fido
                          • Mar 2008

I would concur with Rebelman's reviews of the CDP-202 only to add that it offers an incredible sense of depth and spaciousness when playing well recorded material.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

It would be nice if Classé made a multichannel SACD player

Comment

• rompower
                              • May 2008

And which one would you pick between both? I'm mainly listening to folk/accoustic/pop/starting listening to jazz and classic...

thanks

I found my notes, they are in shorthand...
                              cdp-202

tempered and sensuous highs
                              warm, dark and sensual midrange
                              natural and authoritative lows
                              relaxed listening
                              smooth and slightly reserved
                              a sense of analog air
                              refined overall

cdp-300

extended and zingy highs
                              cool, bright and sassy midrange
                              synthetic and pretentious lows
                              energetic listening
                              detailed and slightly spirited
                              a sense of digital air
                              dynamic overall

The differences were more or less subtle in certain areas but this was how each player's character was impressed upon me.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

I mostly listen to female vocals and acoustical instruments of the smooth jazz genre and felt that the CDP-202 was an ideal fit (if that helps any).

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

I mostly listen to female vocals and acoustical instruments of the smooth jazz genre and felt that the CDP-202 was an ideal fit (if that helps any).
                                  Rebel Man you might enjoy these two French singers.

Mylene Farmer:

Liane Foly

Comment

• Glen B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jul 2004

I highly recommend the following title, available from Music Direct on both CD and vinyl. This superb recording features primarily acoustic guitar and female vocals. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba - Meet Me In London (NAIM Records)

Here's a sample (mp3) of the track "Could You Believe":
                                    Last edited by Glen B; 08 August 2008, 01:02 Friday.

Comment

• Birdy
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Glen B
                                      I highly recommend the following title, available from Music Direct on both CD and vinyl. This superb recording features primarily acoustic guitar and female vocals. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba - Meet Me In London (NAIM Records)

Here's a sample (mp3) of the track "Could You Believe":
                                      http://h1.ripway.com/Glen%20B/Could%...20Believe-.mp3
                                      Yes yes, great CD, musically & technically :T :T :T

Birdy

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Thanks for the tips guys. Glen, great clip, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"