X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA vs. Uncompressed PCM

While we are all chomping at the bit for the SSP-800 release, here's an interesting article about the audible differences in lossless versus lossy audio formats.

• Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well if your player uncompresses the tracks and sends them over as PCM shouldn't sound any different

Blah thats kind of a long read it might have to wait until morning.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
      Well if your player uncompresses the tracks and sends them over as PCM shouldn't sound any different
      Until Sony releases the BDP-550 I won't know if it sounds better or not since I don't have a PS3:cry:
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yeah...I have a couple PS3's and an older Panasonic BD player. The Panasonic doesn't do DTS-HD MA so can't comment on that. I just recently ordered a receiver that could do these technologies though but my new speakers are not built yet so it will be a little while before I can experience lossless.

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
          Yeah...I have a couple PS3's and an older Panasonic BD player. The Panasonic doesn't do DTS-HD MA so can't comment on that. I just recently ordered a receiver that could do these technologies though but my new speakers are not built yet so it will be a little while before I can experience lossless.
          I also have a Panasonic DMP-BD10, but I'm thinking of holding onto it for a while. I usually prefer the Dolby over DTS, as DTS usually seems to be on the bright side.

Aside from the sound, my Sony BRAVIA KDL46XBR2 won't do True Colors, so I'm not sure I'll gain anything by getting one of the new Panasonic or Sony players. And from what I've read, True Colors may be a long way off anyway.

This is what I get for being an early adopter.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah I'm putting the Panny unit in my sons bedroom I think as soon as I get a smaller LCD to go in there. We don't have DVD's anymore lol just BD's so his movies are all on BD as well.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"