X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

Phono Modules for my CAP-2100

Picked up the CPM's for my CAP-2100 and installed them last night. Piece of cake! The inside of this unit is beautiful. Built like the proverbial brick s**t house. Haven't done any listening with the phono boards. I'll do some serious listening on Sunday.

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton
  • ak77
    • Jun 2008

Hi

Just out of curosity, what is a CPM and what does it do? I too have a CAP-2100 so was wondering if this is something interesting to add

Cheers!
    Andy
    System 1: B&W: 803S; Classe CAP-2100, CDP-102, Chord: Anthem 2 interconnect, Epic super twin cables

System 2: B&W: 685, Rotel: RA-05; Denon 3910; Denon DAB 1800 tuner; Merlin Choppin & Atlas Equator MKII interconnects.

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ak77
      Hi
      Just out of curosity, what is a CPM and what does it do? I too have a CAP-2100 so was wondering if this is something interesting to add
      CPM = Classé phono modules (MM/MC phono boards).

Originally posted by kpodolski
      Picked up the CPM's for my CAP-2100 and installed them last night. Piece of cake! The inside of this unit is beautiful. Built like the proverbial brick s**t house. Haven't done any listening with the phono boards. I'll do some serious listening on Sunday.
      I have owned three Classé preamp models with phono over the years. In each case vinyl playback has been excellent.
      Last edited by Glen B; 05 July 2008, 00:45 Saturday.

Comment

• Alpha231
        • May 2008

Have you listened to this yet?

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Cool picture I would never dream of opening this up, you probably voided the warranty!
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• kpodolski
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Alpha231
            Have you listened to this yet?
            Yes, and I'm very happy with the sound quality...considering these modules only cost $500. My analog rig is a Project Perspective with an Ortofon OM3 mm cartidge. Sony SS-M9 speakers. I dropped on my copy of Brubeck/Mulligan's "Compadres". This is live recording from Mexico. Always thought this was an OK sounding album that had a slightly compressed quality to it. My old phono pre-amp was a Sony TA-E80ES that I always thought was a nice unit. But when I spun "Compadres" with the Classe I was floored! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was a brand new recording for me. I was hearing deeper into the music and hearing things I hadn't heard before. My favorite track is "Lullabye de Mexico". It's a slightly meloncoly track with nice atmosphere. The Classe throws a substantially larger soundstage then the Sony and the bass response was incredible. All the years I listened to this album and I thought it was anemic in the low end and here it was the Sony. Don't get me wrong; for how long I've owned the Sony and for what I paid for it, it's served me well...maybe it's just getting a little tired. But the Classe with the CPM's just took my albums to another level. And that's with a fairly mediocre cartidge to boot! Some other albums I have in rotation are:
            Roxy Music - Avalon
            Harold Budd - Lovely Thunder
            Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return. Probably one of the greatest ambient albums...in my humble opinion. Listen to "Looking for Safety". Simply incredible.
            Fear Falls Burning - The Amplifier Drones
            Some lute recordings by Jakob Lindburg.

I'm pulling out albums that I'm very familiar with and I'm re-discovering them all over again because of the Classe. What a great piece of equipment!

Comment

• Alpha231
              • May 2008

Originally posted by wettou
              Cool picture I would never dream of opening this up, you probably voided the warranty!
              No, he didn't void the warranty...

Comment

• Alpha231
                • May 2008

Yes, and I'm very happy with the sound quality...considering these modules only cost $500. My analog rig is a Project Perspective with an Ortofon OM3 mm cartidge. Sony SS-M9 speakers. I dropped on my copy of Brubeck/Mulligan's "Compadres". This is live recording from Mexico. Always thought this was an OK sounding album that had a slightly compressed quality to it. My old phono pre-amp was a Sony TA-E80ES that I always thought was a nice unit. But when I spun "Compadres" with the Classe I was floored! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was a brand new recording for me. I was hearing deeper into the music and hearing things I hadn't heard before. My favorite track is "Lullabye de Mexico". It's a slightly meloncoly track with nice atmosphere. The Classe throws a substantially larger soundstage then the Sony and the bass response was incredible. All the years I listened to this album and I thought it was anemic in the low end and here it was the Sony. Don't get me wrong; for how long I've owned the Sony and for what I paid for it, it's served me well...maybe it's just getting a little tired. But the Classe with the CPM's just took my albums to another level. And that's with a fairly mediocre cartidge to boot! Some other albums I have in rotation are:
                Roxy Music - Avalon
                Harold Budd - Lovely Thunder
                Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return. Probably one of the greatest ambient albums...in my humble opinion. Listen to "Looking for Safety". Simply incredible.
                Fear Falls Burning - The Amplifier Drones
                Some lute recordings by Jakob Lindburg.

I'm pulling out albums that I'm very familiar with and I'm re-discovering them all over again because of the Classe. What a great piece of equipment!

Very cool!

I am debating right now whether or not I should put this into my CAP-2100. My current analog setup consist of a Pro-Ject RM-10 w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC cartridge, Pro-Ject Speedbox SE II and Pro-Ject Tube Box SE II. The reason I went with this Phono stage is becuase I needed the load and impedance adjustability of the Tube Box SE II. the Phono modules from Classe don't allow this type of adjustability on top of that they are for low output moving coil... I really want a pair of Classe Phono modules to simplify my stack.

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

No, he didn't void the warranty...
                  Correct. Classé has always been okay with owners doing phono board installation themselves. In fact, every new component used to come with an allen wrench for removing the top cover, if for nothing else but to look at what's under the hood. Modifying or attempting to repair equipment still under warranty is where one would run into trouble.

Comment

• kpodolski
                    • Jun 2006

Very cool!

I am debating right now whether or not I should put this into my CAP-2100. My current analog setup consist of a Pro-Ject RM-10 w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC cartridge, Pro-Ject Speedbox SE II and Pro-Ject Tube Box SE II. The reason I went with this Phono stage is becuase I needed the load and impedance adjustability of the Tube Box SE II. the Phono modules from Classe don't allow this type of adjustability on top of that they are for low output moving coil... I really want a pair of Classe Phono modules to simplify my stack.
                    I'm looking through the papework that came with the CPM's and this is what it says about set-up:

Switch Settings:
                    a. If you are using a Moving Magnet Cartridge you should set your unit to LowGain. Press the MENU button next to the LCD touchscreen, select SYSTEM SET UP, PHONO GAIN, then LOW GAIN MM. (This is what I am using)

b. If you are using a Moving Coil Cartridge ensure that the moving coil loading dipswitches are set correctly. The default factory setting is 100 ohms.

1. Off (10 ohms)
                    2. Off (50 ohms)
                    3. ON (100 ohms)
                    4. Off (470 ohms
                    5. Off (1k ohms)

I've attached a picture that shows the dipswitches on the board. Naturally, you would need to select the appropriate switch on each board. Hope this helps with your decision.

Comment

• Alpha231
                      • May 2008

kpodolski that does it! Thanks for that picture! I'm sold...

Comment

• Alpha231
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by Glen B
                        Correct. Classé has always been okay with owners doing phono board installation themselves. In fact, every new component used to come with an allen wrench for removing the top cover, if for nothing else but to look at what's under the hood. Modifying or attempting to repair equipment still under warranty is where one would run into trouble.
                        And to my understanding, they offer a plexi-glass top for purchase! Glen, they still include the allen tool.

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

And to my understanding, they offer a plexi-glass top for purchase!
                          I've wondered about that. You see them all the time at the trade shows. Hmm... now might be a good time to show off the CAM's. :P
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• kpodolski
                            • Jun 2006

And to my understanding, they offer a plexi-glass top for purchase! Glen, they still include the allen tool.
                            I recall back in the early 90's a dealer who had a Luxman (or was it a SonyES) amp that had a clear plastic top. Not sure who did it; the strore or the manufacture. Anyway, the amp was hooked up to a pair of Infinity Kappa's...I think the were Kappa 9's that were a notoriously demanding load. Anywho, the were jamming on the amp so hard it got so hot that it melted the plastic top and started a little fire. They lovingly called it the "Birthday Cake" after that. Morale of the story...be careful what you wish for...!

Comment

• Russ L
                              • Jul 2006

kpodolski that does it! Thanks for that picture! I'm sold...
                              Likewise...just talked to my dealer about a price . Should run the 804Ss quite well.
                              Russ

Comment

• extracampine
                                • Jan 2017

Where can you find these in the UK?

Comment

• TomScrut
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by extracampine
                                  Where can you find these in the UK?
                                  Might be worth dropping Classe support in the UK an email, they sometimes have a piece or two knocking about. They found me a remote for a CP-500. I do think you will really struggle to find one though. More likely that you would have to find somebody with one that will part with their boards as they don't use that feature.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
                                  Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• aarsoe
                                    • May 2004

Funny - I also have a phono board in my preamp - but it is different compared to yours. Was not aware that several different models existed. Now it is only small changes, but they are there..
                                    Mine is labeled B06201 and the print seems to be dated 19-05 - which I read as week 19 year 2005. Any date on yours? Cannot tell from your picture..

Comment

• aarsoe
                                      • May 2004

Wait - I see the date 12-07. So yours is newer..

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"