X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rompower
    • May 2008

CDT-300 VS Marants SA-7S1

Hi all!

Currently waiting the SSP-800...and I need to buy CD player to go with it...

I heard at classé cdp-102 and compared it with the little brother of the Marants SA-7S1 (SA-11 i think) however... my dealer told me that the SA-7S1 is a really good player, 6.5k instead of 5k (cdt-300) but unfortunately, he doesn't have the big model to demo...

Anyone here had the chance to compare both? Cdt-300 from Classé and Marantz SA-7S1 ?

thanks for any advice
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

If you are planning to use the SSP as an outboard DAC why would you entertain the Marantz SA-7S1? Would it be for it's SACD capabilities? If you don't already have a collection of discs I don't see any advantage for the player, all else being equal.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• rompower
      • May 2008

I was going to buy the cdt-300 for its DVD capability... But the bluray player I bought can upscale very well (denon dvd-3800bdci)

So... hesitating between the cdt-300/cd-102/sa-7s1

Comment

• Edgeyboy
        • Nov 2006

How did the CDP102 compare to the SA11 ?

Comment

• Edgeyboy
          • Nov 2006

How did the CDP102 compare to the Marantz SA11 ?

Comment

• skuzzyb
            • Mar 2006

If you are primarily looking for a CD spinner then buy just that. While multi-function devices (CD/DVD players) can be good, I have always found that a dedicated CD players sounds much better if you are spending similar dosh.

I know that this will sound blasphemous in a Classe forum but I preferred the sound of the Cambride Audio 840C over the CDP300. When I heard them both, with the cambridge being considerably less in terms of price, I could no longer justify spending the money on the CDP300. I then bought the cambridge and a Marantz 9600 DVD player and have been very pleased with my purchase. When I can justify to my better half that I "need" a CD player that sounds miles better, I will then buy a Audio Research CD7.

If you already have a player that gives you good upscaling capabilities, then what would be the reason for getting the CDT-300 apart from aesthetics, which you would get with the 102? IMHO, the CD-102 IMHO would be a better choice.

skz

Comment

• alebonau
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by skuzzyb
              If you are primarily looking for a CD spinner then buy just that. While multi-function devices (CD/DVD players) can be good, I have always found that a dedicated CD players sounds much better if you are spending similar dosh.

I know that this will sound blasphemous in a Classe forum but I preferred the sound of the Cambride Audio 840C over the CDP300. When I heard them both, with the cambridge being considerably less in terms of price, I could no longer justify spending the money on the CDP300. I then bought the cambridge and a Marantz 9600 DVD player and have been very pleased with my purchase. When I can justify to my better half that I "need" a CD player that sounds miles better, I will then buy a Audio Research CD7.

If you already have a player that gives you good upscaling capabilities, then what would be the reason for getting the CDT-300 apart from aesthetics, which you would get with the 102? IMHO, the CD-102 IMHO would be a better choice.

skz
              I'd very much agree with that advice and thats consistent wiht my experience as well.

if wanting a CD player get a dedicated cd player.

the marantz sa players do make very good cd players have heard the sa11 s1 and 2 and can jsut imagine the sa7 flagship being in another league again.

paramount in the decision is a back to back comparison in your system if possible will soon give you the answer as to which to buy
              "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

As you may know the CDT-300 is a transport only device not a player. Hence, the CDT-300 (digital out) plus SSP-800 will sound better than the CDP-102 (analog out) plus SSP-800 willl. The combination also provides some flexibility in that one can perform digital domain signal manipulation in addition to offering a very capable video scaler in one clean box. The CDP-102 could serve a similar role for $500 less if the video processing feature of the CDT were unneccessary. However, I would find the price difference worth while if it meant more freedom in the equipment rack and fewer cables to buy and deal with.

Comment

• skuzzyb
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  The CDT-300 is a transport only device not a player. The CDT-300 (digital out) plus SSP-800 will sound better than the CDP-102 (analog out) plus SSP-800 willl. The combination also provides greater flexibility in that one can perform digital domain signal manipulation in addition to offering a very capable video scaler in one clean box. The CDP-102 could serve a similar role for $500 less if the video processing feature of the CDT were unnecesssary. I would find the difference worth while if it meant more freedom in the equipment rack.
                  I agree that the CDT/SSP combination may provide more flexibility and give you more space (if that is at a premium)

However, from everything I have seen, the video scaler in the CDP300 is average at best. I personally have compared the video scaler in the CDP300 to that in the Marantz DV9600 and the Denon 3930 as well as in several Blu-Ray devices and have found the CDP300 wanting. Unless some major upgrades have taken place in the last year that I do not know of (which is possible). Keep in mind that the technology in the CDP300 is over three years old now and unless a completely new scaler is being used in the newer CDT300s versus the CDP300 I cannot see how it would be any better than the CDP300 in its video capabilities.

I think that if you want a CD player you should get just that, all things considered.

I will reserve judgement as to how the CDT/SSP combination will sound until I can hear it, I expect it to be good but will wait to hear myself.

skz

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

However, from everything I have seen, the video scaler in the CDP300 is average at best. I personally have compared the video scaler in the CDP300 to that in the Marantz DV9600 and the Denon 3930 as well as in several Blu-Ray devices and have found the CDP300 wanting. Unless some major upgrades have taken place in the last year that I do not know of (which is possible). Keep in mind that the technology in the CDP300 is over three years old now and unless a completely new scaler is being used in the newer CDT300s versus the CDP300 I cannot see how it would be any better than the CDP300 in its video capabilities.
                    The CDT/CDP-300 provides above average video quality by today's standards. Some could argue that a dedicated CD player would be the logical route to take for optimal sound quality but it's not always the best nor always necessary. There are two recently published reviews of the CDP-502 that exemplifies this, one here and the other in the current issue of TAS.

I will reserve judgement as to how the CDT/SSP combination will sound until I can hear it, I expect it to be good but will wait to hear myself.
                    Any Delta series source player acting as a transport will do for your evaluation.

Comment

• skuzzyb
                      • Mar 2006

The CDT/CDP-300 provides above average video quality by today's standards. Some could argue that a dedicated CD player would be the logical route to take for optimal sound quality but it's not always the best nor always necessary. There are two recently published reviews of the CDP-502 that exemplifies this, one here and the other in the current issue of TAS.
                      Depends what you call today's standards. If by that you mean 480P then yes I would agree, if you mean in comparison with the best scalers out there it has a long way to go IMHO. I have no doubt that sonically the CDP-502 is excellent, especially if it has the innards of a CDP 202 which I was always a fan of, if it also employs the same video processing as the CDP300 then I would rather get a CDP-202 or CDP 102and buy an upscaling video player elsewhere. I am digressing a bit however as this was about whether a CDT would suffice or a dedicated CD player, which I will still stand by my original comments.

Any Delta series source player acting as a transport will do for your evaluation.
                      Understand, but more interested in hearing it with the SSP800, as I have already heard the combination of the CDP300 and the SSP600 utilizing the DACs in the SSP.
                      Last edited by skuzzyb; 14 July 2008, 05:47 Monday. Reason: embedded my response in the quotes so removed them.

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Depends what you call today's standards. If by that you mean 480P then yes I would agree, if you mean in comparison with the best scalers out there it has a long way to go IMHO.
                        By some measured accounts the video processing in the CDP players, that have it, is bested by a few but real world tests show the differences are not easily noticed or are inconseqential save for some nitpicking. Overall the video performance is admirable even to videophiles like Kris Deering which owned the CDP-300 player until a few months ago.

I am digressing a bit however as this was about whether a CDT would suffice or a dedicated CD player, which I will still stand by my original comments.
                        As do I when I say that the CDT-300 transport will not only suffice but better a dedicated player like the CDP-102.

Understand, but more interested in hearing it with the SSP800, as I have already heard the combination of the CDP300 and the SSP600 utilizing the DACs in the SSP.
                        I only considered the SSP-800 (taking your lead) when I made the transport suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"