X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Connecting Speakers to CAM-350 or 400?

I was about to connect my speakers to the CAM-350s, and noticed when taking them out of their boxes that there are two pairs of speaker connectors. I guess it's for bi-wiring? If so, would I connect the left terminals to the upper terminals on the B&Ws and the right terminals to the lower terminals?

I'm surprised the owner's manual doesn not discuss this?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by beden1; 07 June 2008, 23:31 Saturday.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Yes they put two pair of binding post to aid in bi-wiring. It doesn't matter which set on the amp goes to the top speaker input or the bottom. Just keep phase correct and you're good.

Eric

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      Yes they put two pair of binding post to aid in bi-wiring. It doesn't matter which set on the amp goes to the top speaker input or the bottom. Just keep phase correct and you're good.

Eric
      Thanks Eric for your help. ;x(

Brooks

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

So, what do you think of the CAM-350s?

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

I have not connected them as yet. Day two of putting new cabinets together, figuring out where to put the components, adjusting shelf heights, and trying my best to use the current cables even though I'm dealing with extra width and longer runs.

I had planned to put the CAM-350's on bottom shelves of the two outer BDI towers, but I'm now putting them on the top shelves. As a result, it looks like I'll need to make longer speaker wires than the ones I made before coming down. I came up with a different plan when I figured out I could put my sub woofers on the bottom shelves and save some room.

I also broke down and purchased a new HTM2D that will be delivered to the dealer Thursday or Friday. I'm really looking forward to hear the system when I finally get it all together.

Where and how do I get the optional IR remote?

Thanks,

Brooks

Comment

• dmccombs
            • Sep 2006

Beden,

Hopefully someone else can help with the IR remote. I have never used it as I use the 12vdc triggers. Maybe you can order one from Classe, or check E-bay?

Darrell

Comment

• sc2
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by beden1
              I came up with a different plan when I figured out I could put my sub woofers on the bottom shelves and save some room.

I guess you will soon feel the extra vibration of that cabinet too! Which I expect, isn't good. :roll:

Steve
              Steve

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sc2
                I guess you will soon feel the extra vibration of that cabinet too! Which I expect, isn't good. :roll:

Steve
                Actually, no vibration in the cabinets whatsoever. The Velodyne SC-1250 Amplifier and SC-15 sub woofers are designed to be placed in furniture, plus I used the larger Isonode anti-vibration feet under the sub's feet. I also used these under the CD and DVD players.

The subs sound great.
                Last edited by beden1; 10 June 2008, 20:50 Tuesday.

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

beden, an updated pic of your system with the new amplifier and center channel is expected. :B
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• sc2
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                    Actually, no vibration in the cabinets whatsoever. The Velodyne SC-1250 Amplifier and SC-15 sub woofers are design to be placed in furniture, plus I used the larger Isonode anti-vibration feet under the sub's feet. I also used these under the CD and DVD players.

The subs sound great.

Cool :T
                    Steve

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
                      So, what do you think of the CAM-350s?
                      I'm nearly finished setting up the equipment in the new cabinets and am awaiting my new HTM2D. The electrician ran the wires and installed twin separate circuit 20 amp outlets, and I've also had the opportunity to spend some time listening to two channel with my new (used) CAM-350's.

The difference is night and day, and is like I've never heard my 803Ds before. The mid range and highs are stunning and authoritative. The bass is crisp and and full bodied. The CAM-350's are nothing short of spectacular in my listening room. I now wish I had three for the front speakers, and Darrell's system must sound amazing.

There is no substitute for power, and I can say now that the 803Ds absolutely need this amount of power to enable them to perform as designed (at all volume levels)! I now want to listen to the 800D/801D's - bi-amped with two CAM-400s. I think the lack of excitement I heard during my audition of the 800Ds with a single CAM-400 would produce much more positive results.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain expounding the virtues of powering B&W 800 Diamond Series speakers with 200 watts or less, as the lack of power just cripples these dynamic and exciting speakers.
                      Last edited by beden1; 12 June 2008, 12:12 Thursday.

Comment

• dmccombs
                        • Sep 2006

Beden,

I'm glad you are enjoying the new amps. They do provide a nice bang for the buck. I like the mix of solid bass and sweet highs, that these amps provide.

I did some experimenting lately, and was able to get even better sound from the amps. I know my suggestions will bring comments from some naysayers, but the sound improvment I experienced was very noticable.

1) Do you have hospital grade (or better) outlets on your circuits? I just upgraded my standard outlets, and the sound improvement is terrific. The bass is stronger and tighter, and the background is blacker, without mellowing the high frequencies. I am also hearing more detail and subtlies than before.

I paid $36 per outlet, for some hospital grade cryoed outlets that got amazing user feedback. I am guessing that most of the benefit is simply from having a secure grip on the power cord. Plain old Hospital grade outlets at $10 a piece may work just as well.

Your electrician may have used Hospital grade outlets, so you may already have this in place. If you don't, this is a no-brainer upgrade IMO. The cost is low, and even I was able to swap out the outlets pretty quickly.

2) I upgraded the power cords for ~$275 each. This had the same benefits that I listed for the outlets. This cost more than the outlet upgrade, but at ~$275 per amp it was a good upgrade. Most cable places will let you demo thier cords, so if you find no benefit, you are out just the shipping cost.

I know this will sound wacky to some. I argued that power upgrades was snake oil, and couldn't help... until I tried it. If one has a resolving system (which you do), you will hear the differences.

Try Rebelmans suggestion of Kelly Sweet. Its a great CD that is well mastered. It was made for your CAM-350s. :T

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
                          Beden,

I'm glad you are enjoying the new amps. They do provide a nice bang for the buck. I like the mix of solid bass and sweet highs, that these amps provide.

I did some experimenting lately, and was able to get even better sound from the amps. I know my suggestions will bring comments from some naysayers, but the sound improvment I experienced was very noticable.

1) Do you have hospital grade (or better) outlets on your circuits? I just upgraded my standard outlets, and the sound improvement is terrific. The bass is stronger and tighter, and the background is blacker, without mellowing the high frequencies. I am also hearing more detail and subtlies than before.

Your electrician may have used Hospital grade outlets, so you may already have this in place. If you don't, this is a no-brainer upgrade IMO. The cost is low, and even I was able to swap out the outlets pretty quickly.

The electrician used a quad recepticle, and the left and right banks are separate circuits. I did call him, and he said these are the best that the electrical supply house carries, and are at least as good as what is used in a hospital. I know I had to use some effort to get the cords plugged into the sockets. I have heavy power cords for the amps, and wanted quality outlets so the cords don't keep coming loose.

Try Rebelmans suggestion of Kelly Sweet. Its a great CD that is well mastered. It was made for your CAM-350s. :T

I agree that Kelly Sweet sounds excellent. It was the first CD I played. I've been enjoying her since getting the tip from RebelMan last year.
                          Darrell
                          Thanks for your help. I really like these amps! :E

Comment

• dmccombs
                            • Sep 2006

If the plugs are that tight, it sounds like you already have Hospital Grade outlets. Thats great.

Darrell

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"