X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Need some guidance here

Early back in Febuary my SSP-60 started dropping digital and would go into Dolby 3/2 mode, and would keep reading Digital error, so I went through all of the routine checks, cables, DVD player, etc.. to try to isolate the problem, everything pointed to the processor. I ended up taking the unit back to my dealer, he called back a few days later and confirmed my findings and had it sent off to Classe for repair.

Fast forward to yesterday....I finally get my unit back from Classe (took 3 months ) and hooked it back up only to find that the same problem is still present. I called my dealer and he said that it had to be my CD/DVD 1 that was causing the problems.I explained to him that while the processor was out for repair that I had been using my DVD player with another processor and had no problems at all, but despite this he still insist that it is my DVD player.

Any thoughts on why this would be the case with the Classe processor and not the temporary replacement that I was using?
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • sc2
    • Feb 2008

Maybe a problem with your interconnects, depending on how they are flexed, maybe. Sounds like a process of elimaination.

Once you have confirmed the processor, take in and hook it up their system, but I am sure you know all of this already.

Good Luck

Steve
    Steve

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
      Fast forward to yesterday....I finally get my unit back from Classe (took 3 months ) ...
      Dealer intervention may have brought on the delay.

I concur with sc2 it could be a connection issue. How are you connecting the audio output of the DVD player to the SSP? Have you tried another cable or better yet a different type of cable? If say you are using Toslink have you tried coaxial or vise versa? Is the issue intermittent or repeatable with the same disc and track? Are CD's (PCM) impacted in any way using the same digital outputs? If not try playing the DVD's back in PCM and see what that does. Could be a decoding issue within the processor. Just a thought.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I connected my DVD player via Coax, and tried a different cable than I normally use, I also eliminated the coax all together and connected via Toslink with two different cables and the problem still exist. This problem is repeatable with many different disc's, and tracks. The display will read digital error for a spilt second and then either go to Dolby 3/2 or DTS Neo. I do still get audio, just not in the proper formats.

As far as CD's go, I have not tried that yet to see what happens.

Just to eliminate any chance of the Classe DVD causing the problem, I hooked up a new Toshiba player from another room and the problem was still the same, although I did note that the processor did not display the words "digital error" it would just go straight to the Dolby 3/2 mode.

The most frustrating part of this whole thing was the dealers reaction when I called him back today, he insisted that the processor is fine and that my problem lies elsewhere, even after all of my process of eliminating other factors. He told me that Classe ran the unit for a week and that there is no way that the unit is defective, he went on to say that my DVD players digital out is going to DC and causing the problem, but if that was the case would I get any audio output?
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

James,
          I just went and switched the player over to PCM output and I get all of my surround modes such as PLII, DTS NEO-6, emulated, Stereo, etc...
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

So it would seem the only time you get any of the surround modes other than just Dolby 3/2 is when you send a PCM signal? In other words, regardless of the player and cable type the problem ONLY surfaces when a RAW Dolby or dts bit stream is sent across the wire? If this is the case then it must be the processor failing to decode the RAW bit-stream. Since the dealer insists the issue lies somewhere other than the processor I would follow up with Classé directly to find out what was done to rule it out. What arrangements did you make with the dealer for warranty related coverage?

Comment

• sc2
              • Feb 2008

Would preforming a software/ firmware update help?
              Steve

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
                So it would seem the only time you get any of the surround modes other than just Dolby 3/2 is when you send a PCM signal?
                That is correct, any player I use does the same thing.

I just wanted to run this across you guys to see if there was something I was missing. But it seems to all be pointing back to the processor which I thought was the problem.

Sc2... When I initially took the processor in the first time they did a software upgrade, so the dealer said.

The unit is still under warranty, I did get charged for shipping from the dealer to back to Classe, which I found odd, but it was only $36. I am going to call Classe tomorrow about the situation and deal with them direct, since it just came back from them it should be fresh in their records.
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

That is correct, any player I use does the same thing.

I just wanted to run this across you guys to see if there was something I was missing. But it seems to all be pointing back to the processor which I thought was the problem.

Sc2... When I initially took the processor in the first time they did a software upgrade, so the dealer said.

The unit is still under warranty, I did get charged for shipping from the dealer to back to Classe, which I found odd, but it was only $36. I am going to call Classe tomorrow about the situation and deal with them direct, since it just came back from them it should be fresh in their records.
                  I spoke on numerous occasions with Shane Kea, Technical Support,
                  B&W Group USA, B&W / Rotel / Classe with questions I had about my Classe pre-amp and amp before and after the purchases. He was always extremely helpful and patient.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Given that you are hitting a road block with the dealership, seeking direct assistance is your only course of action now. Classé customer service is world class and any one of the gentlemen you deal with will take excellent care of you.

I do find your dealer's response to this situation and his hesitation to delve into this matter further a little questionable. Please keep us informed of your progress. I would like to keep an eye on how this pans out.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

I can attest Classé customer service is great! I had experience with them and was very impressed.
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Thanks for all of your support guys, I put a call into Classe today, I will let you all know how it turns out.
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

What did Classe' say?
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• RobP
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Lex
                            What did Classe' say?

after several calls I finally got someone to call me back, ended up sending the unit back to them, hopefully should hear something soon.
                            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"