X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

SSP-600's perceived loss of value

So, I am currently selling my SSP-600. I have it on Audiogon and AVSForum for around $4500. The only reason it is not on our boards for sale is that I haven't gotten around to it.

SSP-300's are selling for $3000. The last two SSP-600's appeared to have sold for around $3200. Because of that, everyone thinks that they can buy a 600 for that price, even though the SSP-300's are going for that.

$4500 is roughly 36% off of current price. Even with the SSP-800 coming out soon, it will be $8000. I have gotten multiple people offering me $3000 for my SSP. When I tell them I won't sell for $3000, they are very rude. I am not trying to vent in this thread, but just wanted to start a conversation about this appeared value or lack of the 600.

What do you guys think? Do you really believe that value drops 65% because a new model is coming out or do you think the 35%-40% I am asking is still reasonable for a piece that is less than a year old and has been well cared for?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Audio Bluebook lists the SSP300 at $2550.00 and SSP600 at $3790.00. Even if you think your used SSP-600 is worth $4,500, you probably won't get that much for it and may need to drop your price a little. I know its a bummer since I've been in that situation on more than one occasion selling stuff on Audiogon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Comment

• Minardi2
      • May 2007

If blue book is $3790, $4500 seems like an unreasonable asking price. If it were six months old or less, perhaps you'd have a better chance of getting what you want. Try it at $4000 and see what you get.

There's no doubt the fact that the 800 is coming out, along with the lack of HDMI is driving prices down to some degree. Krell's Showcase pre/pro can be had for around $2k used on Audiogon, and often times just under that. In some instances buying this stuff new is like buying a car new, the second you take it home, it depreciates (too) much.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Yes, the dealer margins are any where between 40 and 50 points depending on volume.

This means that the Classé SSP-800 list price is $8,000 MSRP. High volume dealer cost is $4000, others dealers get 40 points off and their cost is $4800, and they make a nice profit moving boxes.

So when we are selling used equipment that is where it starts dealer cost and goes down from there!
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Cactus
          • Feb 2006

It certainly is a shame. Unfortunately the only good "investment" pieces in an audio system are speakers and amplifiers. Anything video related is a necessary evil. You will have a hard time getting a good return on your 600.

THANKS HDMI! :M

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Well I could not agree more, Speakers and amplifiers at least will last 10 years plus.

Sources, pre/pro, projector loose value very rapidely.

Consider this I bought a Seleco Sim2 HT300 6 years ago for $12K value today maybe $3K!

It had a ton of problems as well :twisted: I wil of course never buy a product from Seleco ever again looks good but no quality and non existing customer service
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"