X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merlinus
    • Feb 2008

CDP-202 vs. CDP-502

Which has the better two-channel audio? And if equal, or nearly so, is the 502 worth the extra $$$ for dvd playback, or is it better to wait for a blu-ray machine?
    merlin
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Two channel audio is identical between both players. The CDP-502 is worth the extra expense if you have a very large library of DVD's that you don't intend on replacing any time soon and if you don't already own the necessary hardware to exploit the advanced audio codecs of Blu-ray discs.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• merlinus
      • Feb 2008

Thanks for the info.

The only DVDs I own are those of "Twin Peaks," David Lynch's TV show of 1990-91. The ones I view are rented via NetFlix, and to be honest, the quality of the picture and sound are good enough for me, especially as I mostly watch older films directed by Antonioni, Fellini, Bertolucci, Bergman, Resnais, Kurosawa, and their disciples, and also a smattering of more modern movies.

Do you know if Classe is planning to incorporate blu-ray codecs in a new version of their CD/DVD player?

If not, it would seem that a new CD player might be the best choice.
      merlin

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by merlinus
        Do you know if Classe is planning to incorporate blu-ray codecs in a new version of their CD/DVD player?
        They have no plans to do that. However, they may build a Blu-ray player compatible with DVDs and CDs.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• kloepfr
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by merlinus
          Which has the better two-channel audio? And if equal, or nearly so, is the 502 worth the extra $$$ for dvd playback, or is it better to wait for a blu-ray machine?
          I adore my 502:-)) And I will keep it even when I buy HD/BluRay Discs....DVD will not die in my view; so an excellent DVD player is a must if you don't want to watch just only the few BluRays....and the 502 has an excellent video scaler....that combined with a good Full HD projector: Superb, and that just with DVD!!
          "...Life is for living... with...Classe CDP502, SSP800, CA 5200, Toshiba HD-XE1, B&W 802D, HTM2D, 2xDS7, ASW825, Mitsubishi HC 6000...."

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by kloepfr
            I adore my 502:-)) And I will keep it even when I buy HD/BluRay Discs....DVD will not die in my view; so an excellent DVD player is a must if you don't want to watch just only the few BluRays....and the 502 has an excellent video scaler....that combined with a good Full HD projector: Superb, and that just with DVD!!
            You should really evaluate the upconverting quality of the current BD Players. They really negate the reason for having a high-dollar upconverting DVD player anymore.

Some people are actually still buying HDDVD players to use strictly as upconverters, even though the format is dead. They tend to be superior to other brands on the market, even the high dollar ones, and they support 1080p 24fps, which the Classe does not.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• kloepfr
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
              You should really evaluate the upconverting quality of the current BD Players. They really negate the reason for having a high-dollar upconverting DVD player anymore.

Some people are actually still buying HDDVD players to use strictly as upconverters, even though the format is dead. They tend to be superior to other brands on the market, even the high dollar ones, and they support 1080p 24fps, which the Classe does not.
              I have a Toshiba XE1 which is an excellent HD Player but the audio quality in DVD mode is not comparable at all to my Classe...and in upscaling there is no real difference between the Toshiba and the Classe....so for DVDs I will stick to my Classe:-))
              "...Life is for living... with...Classe CDP502, SSP800, CA 5200, Toshiba HD-XE1, B&W 802D, HTM2D, 2xDS7, ASW825, Mitsubishi HC 6000...."

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"