X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Help/suggestions please...

Sonically, would a Classe' CAP-2100 outperform my Rotel RC-1090/RB1092 combo OR would I better off replacing one of my current components with something else? My speakers are B&W N804 & ASW800 sub.
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by miner
    Sonically, would a Classe' CAP-2100 outperform my Rotel RC-1090/RB1092 combo OR would I better off replacing one of my current components with something else?
    Yes. The CAP-2100 is a CP-500 and CA-2100 combined but with a slightly higher noise floor.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Thanks again James for your interjection. Now, IYHO, will 100w/ch be sufficient for my B&W N804? My thinking James was instead of a Pre/amp combo, go with the integrated and use extra funds for the CDP-102.

Comment

• cug
        • Jan 2008

Thanks again James for your interjection. Now, IYHO, will 100w/ch be sufficient for my B&W N804? My thinking James was instead of a Pre/amp combo, go with the integrated and use extra funds for the CDP-102.
        The CAP-2100 drives at least the 804S very well. We used this amp with a Classe cd player in our listening test and it had no problems at all to drive the speakers.

And let me tell you something: our RA-1062 (2x60W) has no problems driving the speakers too. At least at our normal listening volumes. And if you have to stretch: the difference is NOT worth the money (the Classé is about 5 to 6 times the price of the RA-1062 and brings you perhaps a 20% sound improvement - if it's really that high). If you don't need to worry about money - the look alone might be worth it.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Is there any way for you to listen to a CAP-2100 in your system? I think the Classe is more open and relaxed than the Rotel but the bass is very good from the RB-1092. I think the Classe is better at just playing music and not hearing the equipment but it's pretty close. What source(s) are you using?

Eric

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

It will be "conditionally" sufficient. That means an averaged sized room, with average construction and interior decorations at an average listening spot, tastes (genre's) and habits (volumes). I think you would get more bang for your buck with the integrated than you would separates and achieve very nearly the same performance. I think you are on the right track however I would caution that if you see a speaker upgrade anytime soon (as in the next year or two) then you need to consider in your long term plans having ample power to drive them optimally. The CAP-2100 will still suffice but it could limit your future speaker upgrade options, something to keep in mind.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
              Is there any way for you to listen to a CAP-2100 in your system? I think the Classe is more open and relaxed than the Rotel but the bass is very good from the RB-1092. I think the Classe is better at just playing music and not hearing the equipment but it's pretty close. What source(s) are you using?

Eric
              My source is a Rotel RCC-1055 changer and Rega P7/DV20XH turntable/cartridge.

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                It will be "conditionally" sufficient. That means an averaged sized room, with average construction and interior decorations at an average listening spot, tastes (genre's) and habits (volumes). I think you would get more bang for your buck with the integrated than you would separates and achieve very nearly the same performance. I think you are on the right track however I would caution that if you see a speaker upgrade anytime soon (as in the next year or two) then you need to consider in your long term plans having ample power to drive them optimally. The CAP-2100 will still suffice but it could limit your future speaker upgrade options, something to keep in mind.
                If I were to upgrade in the future it would be to the 803D. These are within my reachable budget. I am thinking I will need at least 200w/ch - not sure the CAP-2100 @ 100w/ch will keep me passified.

Comment

• lawoftrust
                  • Feb 2008

@ miner

if You consider a future upgrade to a 803D You may nevertheless use the CAP 2100 and add a CA2100 to receive (by modification of the CAP 2100) a CAP 2400 with 400 Watts per Channel. This will easily run a 803D or even a 802D.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

Given you have a turntable (so you will need phono boards with any Classe preamp or integrated) and there is the possibility to get 803D's in the future, I'd look taking a stepped approach and upgrade the amp or preamp (my first choice would be the preamp) one at a time. I'd also upgrade the CD player at some point as well. I usually recommend my customers to get the front end right first because a great amp and speakers will show off weaknesses up the signal path.

I have a customer that had a pair of 804S's, a Krell KAV-400xi and a Rotel RDV-1092 (which he still has to play music DVD's and movies) and has upgraded one step at a time. He now has a pair of 803D's, CDP-202, CP-700, and a CA-2200 (soon to be CA-M400's) and upgrading the the preamp from the KAV-400xi (he did get the CA-2200 first because he started with an integrated) was the biggest improvement in his system outside of the speakers. The CDP-202 was a very nice upgrade as well, but the CP-700 was the biggest.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"