X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
    If someone will undertake to distribute it, I would be happy to submit a copy.
    I PMed you yesterday. :W
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
      I PMed you yesterday. :W
      OK. I never look at that flag. Just sent the pdf.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Thanks Kal!

Enjoy folks... Classé SSP-800 Press Release

(Note: It's in the original PDF format and about 1MB in size.)

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Thanks Kal! Enjoy folks... Classé SSP-800 Press Release (Note: It's in the original PDF format and about 1MB in size.)
          Thank you Rebel Man, now we just have to wait for the brochures and units to show up at the dealer?
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
            Thank you Rebel Man, now we just have to wait for the brochures and units to show up at the dealer?
            Unless you have one on pre-order, don't expect them to have demo stock for a while. There is a possibility dealers have ordered one for demo, but I wouldn't expect it.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

It would appear that there has been more than enough information posted in these threads to make a very informed decision on whether or not one is interested and able to purchase the SSP-800 from Classe.

RebelMan and all have done an excellent job in introducing this quality product to us.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                It would appear that there has been more than enough information posted in these threads to make a very informed decision on whether or not one is interested and able to purchase the SSP-800 from Classé. RebelMan and all have done an excellent job in introducing this quality product to us.
                Yes, yes, I guess some people like to buy things unheard and unseen! Good for you! You have great faith on specs, numbers and blogs...

I personally need to experience a product before blowing $8,000 or any amount for that matter, that is unless I have a 30 days money back guarantee and the amount is under $200. I need to make sure my hard earn money is maximized.

But you go ahead and order your units, I will just be patient on top of it the summer is approaching and I will be on vacation for two months.

So in September I will just check in with the dealer.
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Yes, yes, I guess some people like to buy things unheard and unseen! Good for you! You have great faith on specs, numbers and blogs...

I personally need to experience a product before blowing $8,000 or any amount for that matter, that is unless I have a 30 days money back guarantee and the amount is under $200. I need to make sure my hard earn money is maximized.

But you go ahead and order your units, I will just be patient on top of it the summer is approaching and I will be on vacation for two months.

So in September I will just check in with the dealer.
                  I think most of us who have Classe gear, or have experience in listening to it, can probably imagine pretty well how it will sound, so that may be a given. With a pre-pro, I think the functions are what most needed to get ironed out in considering whether or not it handles their needs.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                    I think most of us who have Classe gear, or have experience in listening to it, can probably imagine pretty well how it will sound, so that may be a given. With a pre-pro, I think the functions are what most needed to get ironed out in considering whether or not it handles their needs.
                    I have Classé gear two amps for that matter, but I still want to test drive it before I buy, call me old fashion.

Plus I really want the support of DTS Master Audio and Dolby Digital True HD so I will just wait!

Comment

• taker
                      • Aug 2005

I would like the SSP-800 to have more hdmi inputs

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Hi,

the new hd, blu ray decoding will be in the next years (1-2??) a standard and the SSP800 will be ready to "understand" all the new decoding. sure.

Buy at today a Denon/Yamha top model don't is a great solution.
                        In one year the are old!!! and the SSP800 with the update will be anytime at
                        last version update and on the top.

More hdmi?? Ok, but the new plasma/LCD/beamer don't can more as 3-4 I/O...

Today is not easy listen the new ddplus,dtsMA & Co., is better waiting a second generation.

If I have to choice, Denon AVC-AVP 1aHD and power ampli from MC252/402.... vs. Classè SSP800 and CA5200-3200-2200 and CAM400: Classè is the winner (for me)= wait (accord with wettoui)

Omar

Comment

• ryst
                          • May 2007

Couldn't resist so I sold my SSP600 and pre orderd the 800 8)
                          Unfortually I'll have to wait until August/september until I get hold on a unit :cry:

So for your sake "rebelman" I hope it's worth the wait, if not I will smack your ass

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by ryst
                            Unfortually I'll have to wait until August/september until I get hold on a unit :cry: So for your sake "rebelman" I hope it's worth the wait, if not I will smack your ass
                            "There are plenty of recommendations on how to get out of trouble cheaply and fast. Most of them come down to this: Deny your responsibility."

-- Lyndon Baines Johnson

It sounds to me made the leap of faith as you say, I hope it is worth it, but no one pushed you to make the jump so do blame Rebel Man

I will be patient and wait until the dust settle down and the kinks get worked-out! Plus the idea of having to ship the unit to have it upgraded (if it ever happens) is not very compelling to me.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

The upgrade is going to be field upgradeable. You won't have to ship it anywhere. Your dealer will be able to do it.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                The upgrade is going to be field upgradeable. You won't have to ship it anywhere. Your dealer will be able to do it. Eric
                                I am not sure I would want that! So I guess they will just switch a card? You hope the dealer will do it well?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2007

I am not sure I would want that! So I guess they will just switch a card? You hope the dealer will do it well?
                                  Since I haven't seen one in the flesh yet I don't know exactly what is involved. That said, I've done numerous field upgrades like this (I am a Classe dealer by the way) to Lexiccon processors in the past. I've also done plenty of EPROM swaps on Meridian and others. If the product is designed with this in mind it's very easy to do.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Since I haven't seen one in the flesh yet I don't know exactly what is involved. That said, I've done numerous field upgrades like this (I am a Classé dealer by the way) to Lexicon processors in the past. I've also done plenty of EPROM swaps on Meridian and others. If the product is designed with this in mind it's very easy to do. Eric
                                    Fair enough, which region are you a dealer for?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

It's for real and it's coming soon to a dealer near you! :P

Classe SSP-800 preamp / processor arrives this month.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ryst
                                        Unfortually I'll have to wait until August/september until I get hold on a unit :cry:

So for your sake "rebelman" I hope it's worth the wait, if not I will smack your ass
                                        According to my source that has been involved with (driving) the Delta Series since it's inception AND has the SSP-900 in his home AND has been intimately involved with "sound proofing" the SSP-800 in numerous sound tests, it's the best thing Classé has done for audio to date. The SSP-800 is worth more than the asking and it will be worth it. :T

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2007

Fair enough, which region are you a dealer for?
                                          I'm in Michigan.

Eric

Comment

• rompower
                                            • May 2008

Hi all

Well.. since first page of this thread is kinda .. a mess for audio codec like DTS-HD

I wrote an email to Classé

Here's the email:
                                            "Hi there
                                            Does the SSP-800 will support DTS-HD and Dolby Plus, DTS MA audio codec or we will need an upgrade ?!? (Will the upgrade be available shortly if not within the SSP-800
                                            Thanks"

Answer:
                                            "It will support all mentioned audio codec."
                                            "X X (representative name)"
                                            Customer Service
                                            Classé Audio Inc."

Looks like we'll be able to enjoy Newer HD codec!

Oh and between, I'm in Quebec (2hours from Classé Office..eheh), I'll prolly know the availability this afternoon, I'll post news =)

L8r all!

I forgot to add
                                            "The biggest news is SSP-800 which will be relisted soon. It will be full HDMI capable and will have sound quality of CP-700 pre amp. Unfortunately we have no 7 channel amp coming out yet."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

It's all stated in the first post. What was the confusion? :roll:

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                • Sep 2006

According to my source that has been involved with (driving) the Delta Series since it's inception AND has the SSP-900 in his home AND has been intimately involved with "sound proofing" the SSP-800 in numerous sound tests, it's the best thing Classé has done for audio to date. The SSP-800 is worth more than the asking and it will be worth it. :T
                                                Rebelman,

I believe the SQ will be there, but how sure are you that the HDMI will work with the multitude of HDMI devices? I'm not trying to be pessemistic, but other good companies have struggled with this aspect.

Thanks,
                                                Darrell

Comment

• rompower
                                                  • May 2008

Reading it... looks like thoses codec will be available on an upgrade... not directly at the first release of the SSP-800... am I wrong?

"Dual-DSP Board (Upgrade): Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD High Resolution and dts-HD Master Audio. "

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by rompower
                                                    Reading it... looks like thoses codec will be available on an upgrade... not directly at the first release of the SSP-800... am I wrong?

"Dual-DSP Board (Upgrade): Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD High Resolution and dts-HD Master Audio. "
                                                    You are correct, the advanced codecs (Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD MA) will be available on the dual-DSP upgrade board ONLY. They will not be apart of the initial release which will have the mono-DSP board installed. The upgrade board may come later this year or early next for early adopters. Eventually, the SSP-800 will include the dual-DSP board out the door.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dmccombs
                                                      I believe the SQ will be there, but how sure are you that the HDMI will work with the multitude of HDMI devices? I'm not trying to be pessemistic, but other good companies have struggled with this aspect.
                                                      A fair question given your circumstances. I was personally told (and I quote) the "hardware is working well and sounding beautiful" and that they have "total confidence in the hardware". It's all I have to go on for now but I trust my source. Once the initial allocations are released I may be able to offer you more assurances "from the field".

Comment

• rompower
                                                        • May 2008

You are correct, the advanced codecs (Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD MA) will be available on the dual-DSP upgrade board ONLY. They will not be apart of the initial release which will have the mono-DSP board installed. The upgrade board may come later this year or early next for early adopters. Eventually, the SSP-800 will include the dual-DSP board out the door.

So... why the guy that answered me about "all audio codec mentionned will be included..." ?!?!?

kinda confusing.... i wrote an email directly to classé to know about the audio codec available at the launch of the ssp-800...
                                                        If it's not coming out of the box with DTS-HD and other high def audio codec... That's a shame! a new product that came with codec used for like.. what 5-6 years...

Shame on Classé then!
                                                        Was anxious to get some classé gear for my 803D and htm2d, looks like I'll forget it, won't wait a year before getting a "maybe upgrade for the new codec"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

So... why the guy that answered me about "all audio codec mentionned will be included..." ?!?!?
                                                          He told you that because it will be. The dual-DSP board is not a maybe upgrade. The SSP-800 was built around the specifications of the dual-DSP board which is unlike the empty promises made by other manufactures whom pretended to have clairvoyance of future technologies. The SSP-800 is an audio powerhouse with or without the dual-DSP board. Shame on you for allowing your ignorance (respectfully) to cloud your judgment.

Comment

• Shakespeare
                                                            • Mar 2008

Well said RebelMan! I personally cannot wait until I get my hands on a unit. Its all pre ordered and my dealer believes that my SSP 800 should arrive in June. Whether or not that is still accurate I don't know, but I hope to be receiving the unit before the end of the Summer.

Comment

• rompower
                                                              • May 2008

So nice to buy a new Pre/pro and be able to enjoy HD codec (decoded by the pre/pro) only a year later.. plus 2-3K $ for upgrading

At least it will be only 8k at startup!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2007

So nice to buy a new Pre/pro and be able to enjoy HD codec (decoded by the pre/pro) only a year later.. plus 2-3K $ for upgrading

The upgrade to the dual DSP engine will be free to those customers that purchased it without. Who knows if the retail will ever go up due to strength of currency, etc. but the plans are for it to remain at $8000.00US after the dual DSP is factory installed.

As for time frame on the upgrade that is a question no one knows the answer to at this time. Beyond that, the need for on board decoding in the preamp is not super critical with most upcoming BD players doing it internally.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2003

now why would you go spreading rumors like that? I urge you to read the thread instead of making assumptions.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2007

Have you guys seen the lit yet? It's up on Classe's website.

Eric

Comment

• rompower
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2008

"new dual DSP module is being designed specifically to decode these new
                                                                      codecs inside the SSP-800. When available, it will be offered free of charge to original owners of the SSP-800."

GREAT!
                                                                      Out to my dealer to buy that pre/pro =)))

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2006

A fair question given your circumstances. I was personally told (and I quote) the "hardware is working well and sounding beautiful" and that they have "total confidence in the hardware". It's all I have to go on for now but I trust my source. Once the initial allocations are released I may be able to offer you more assurances "from the field".

Terrific Rebelman. It looks like this will be a nice unit.

I look forward to getting one to demo (albiet it may take a while before the dealer has one laying around to loan out).

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 2299

Have you guys seen the lit yet? It's up on Classe's website.

Eric
                                                                          I'd rather not have.. makes the wait that much more difficult!

awesome to see the pics though! My rack is longing for this.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

Heh, I just PMed you about this. Thanks for the heads up Eric.

Comment

• Shakespeare
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Mar 2008
                                                                              • 38

Does anyone know if Classe will be bringing out a blueray player in the near future. I am slightly worried because on their site they recommend partnering the SSP 800 with the CDT 300 which is a DVD player. I imagine that this transport will not be able to utilise the excellent pre amp feature that the SSP 800 has as the transport lacks balanced analogue outputs. Perhaps this is just their marketing machine working hard to shift some relatively unpopular transports?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 3139

Originally posted by Shakespeare
                                                                                Does anyone know if Classe will be bringing out a blueray player in the near future.
                                                                                Back in January Classé indicated that IF they built an HD player that it would be Blu-ray. They also indicated that they were not prepared to commit to building one BUT that they would have a decision on that in about six months. I intend to follow up on the status of a Blu-ray player in July after the SSP-800 is released.

Comment

• rompower
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2008
                                                                                  • 241

great great great! :P

I'm 52th on the list for the SSP-800 eheheheheh

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2006
                                                                                    • 3389

great great great! :P I'm 52th on the list for the SSP-800 eheheheheh
                                                                                    We are am happy for you that sound great, let us know when it is plugged in

By the way why is it that Sony, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Lexicon can have all the new codec DTS-Master Audio, Dolby Digital Tru HD integrated into their AV receivers or pre/pro units and Classé is hoping that may be some day in 2009 or who knows when they will have an upgrade for the SSP-800!!!

It is very disapointing that they release a brand new unit that is already obsolete from day 1! Don't get me wrong I love Classé a great deal but it makes no sense?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

By the way why is it that Sony, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Lexicon can have all the new codec DTS-Master Audio, Dolby Digital Tru HD integrated into their AV receivers or pre/pro units and Classé is hoping that may be some day in 2009 or who knows when they will have an upgrade for the SSP-800!!!

It is very disapointing that they release a brand new unit that is already obsolete from day 1! Don't get me wrong I love Classé a great deal but it makes no sense?
                                                                                      It's a supplier thing. Classé had nothing to do with it. Classé deserves praise rather than condemnation for releasing a mature product that we can all FULLY enjoy now instead of later. KUDOS to Classé for making a product based on audio quality and not about codecs! :T

Remember, the SSP-800 is a multi-channel preamplifier as much as it is a processor. I think that distinctintion is too often overlooked with a product such as the SSP-800. The Sony's and what have you, are designed with a different set of principles in mind geared towards HT enthusiasts. Classé has built the SSP-800 with ONE purpose and that is to achieve the BEST IN AUDIO IN ALL OF ITS FORMS!

It's becoming very clear to me whom are in this for the audio and whom are not.

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2008
                                                                                        • 95

It is all personal choice. I will be purchasing the SSP-800, and I will welcome the upgrade when it is available.

I am in both the audio as well as the video camp. I want the best of both worlds. Audio alone is of great importance, but the audio that accompanies the video is of just as great importance too. Since the PS3 will process the new HD Audio formats, I can surely appreciate the upgrade later on down the road.

All that being said I am curious if I could use the extra 2 channels as a second set of side surrounds? In other words, could I create a 9.1 system?
                                                                                        "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

It's a supplier thing. Classé had nothing to do with it. Classé deserves praise rather than condemnation for releasing a mature product that we can all FULLY enjoy now instead of later. KUDOS to Classé for making a product based on audio quality and not about codecs! :T

Remember, the SSP-800 is a multi-channel preamplifier as much as it is a processor. I think that distinction is too often overlooked with a product such as the SSP-800. The Sony's and what have you, are designed with a different set of principles in mind geared towards HT enthusiasts. Classé has built the SSP-800 with ONE purpose and that is to achieve the BEST IN AUDIO IN ALL OF ITS FORMS! It's becoming very clear to me whom are in this for the audio and whom are not.
                                                                                          I am in this for the audio, I have several hundreds SACD multichannel, but I enjoy watching movies on blu ray and on a 128" foot screen with a JVC DLA RS2 and want the audio experience to be par with the 1080p image quality. DTS-Master Audio as well as the Dolby DigitalTru HD are the ultimate level for audio in movies uncompressed master tapes, hopefully soon to be used for music as well!

By the way Rebel man on an othernote on the B&W 800D vs 802D this is straight from B&W

"Apart from the visible differences such as diamond versus no diamond, there are graded approaches to the kinds of capacitor used in the crossovers. There are three grades of Mundorf (a German manufacturer of some repute) capacitor used throughout the Series. The least expensive is the M-Cap. You can identify this type from the white colour. Next up is the M-Cap supreme and finally M-Cap Supreme Gold & Silver. Both these are coloured black and also have our logo on.

The capacitor quality becomes ever more important as you move into the mid and high-frequency regions, where the ear is at its most sensitive. The basic M-Cap is therefore used in all bass low-pass filters in 3-way products. It is also used in the midrange high-pass (ie mid roll-in from the bass) sections of all 3-ways EXCEPT 800D and HTM1D, where the M-cap Supreme is used.

Higher up in frequency and for the midrange low-pass (crossover to tweeter), M-Cap Supremes are used for all 3-ways EXCEPT 800D and HTM1D, where the M-cap Supreme Gold & Silver is used.

For tweeter high-pass filters, M-Cap Supreme is used for all aluminium dome tweeters and M-Cap Supreme Gold & Silver for all diamond domes.

The low-pass filters of the bass/midrange drivers of 2-way systems (eg 805S) have no capacitors at all.

These three types are the only ones used throughout the 800 Series. Note too that all inductors are air cored for minimum distortion and all resistors are non-inductive. Where necessary, they are heat sinked to ensure power handling and reliability. In the case of the 800D, 801D, 802D, the cast aluminium plinth acts as the heat sink.

The bass response of the 800D is similar in its power delivery to the 801D - 2x 10" are equivalent in area to 1x 15" - but has a different alignment. The rationale behind the 801D (and the Nautilus 801 before it) was based on it having a good acoustic in which to perform. The studio monitoring application was key in this. In many domestic environments, sadly, the customer is often not prepared to put the same amount of outlay into the acoustic properties of the room that he or she is into the sound equipment. Indeed, it is often the case that the customer has employed an interior designer who, more often than not, does not have acoustic properties in mind at all. In such an environment, the 801 variants can sound less agile in the bass than they can in a better acoustic. The solution for such customers is to have a speaker that has an inherently tighter bass alignment and which excites troublesome room resonances less. A smaller speaker could be a solution, but this usually means foregoing other attributes of the speaker design that the customer does not want to do. The 800D therefore has this tighter alignment, but retains, or improves on, all the other properties of the big speaker. This tighter alignment does mean that the -3dB and -6dB quoted figures, which are measured under anechoic conditions, are higher than might otherwise be expected. But one has to consider the room and speaker together in achieving an overall satisfactory result.

A similar situation occurs with the specification of the -6dB frequency of the diamond tweeter (and I’m surprised this question wasn’t raised), as this is lower than for the aluminium version. In that case, it’s simply that the aluminium dome’s response is on the way down from a resonance peak, which the diamond one is not. :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                                            • 3389

Originally posted by Hberg
                                                                                            It is all personal choice. I will be purchasing the SSP-800, and I will welcome the upgrade when it is available.
                                                                                            If it becomes available, I have unfortunately scar tissue from other high end manufacturer that never delivered which is why I would rather wait six months until it has all the updates.

I am in both the audio as well as the video camp. I want the best of both worlds. Audio alone is of great importance, but the audio that accompanies the video is of just as great importance too. Since the PS3 will process the new HD Audio formats, I can surely appreciate the upgrade later on down the road.
                                                                                            Yes that would be very nice so you don't have to buy a player that decodes everything!

All that being said I am curious if I could use the extra 2 channels as a second set of side surrounds? In other words, could I create a 9.1 system?
                                                                                            This would be really cool talk about the ultimate sound immersion. The only issue is you have to have the room size to accommodate this and also the amps

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"