X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I got word in January that the upgrade was intended to be free and recently it was confirmed. Though I'm not clear why the Classé upgrade would make any difference to you regarding the Denon.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by wettou
      Ok well, when I see a press release I will believe it sorry I have heard to many rumors out there!!
      If you look at Minardi2's post (#125), that is what the letter I have says about the SSP-800. Word for word.

Eric

Comment

• Z Man
        • Jan 2008

That is correct but If I don't like the Denon, I might buy the Classé as long as the upgrade is free
        I was in the same situation about 3 months ago. Back then I knew that Classe' was coming out with the SSP-800 and was strongly debating whether to wait on the SSP-800 or go with the Denon AVP-A1HDCI instead. The Classe' offered some of what I was looking for in a high end unit, but not all (no video processing/scaling, no A/D conversion on the EXT IN, no on board DTS-HD MA and TrueHD decoding, no music streaming capability, only 4 HDMI inputs, etc.).

The Denon offered everything that I wanted and more. I knew that Classe' products are very well designed and offer excellent sound quality. But at the same time I knew that Denon once made some super high end separates, so I was curious if some of their high end expertise with those was carried over into this new preamp offering. I decided to give the Denon AVP a chance, and so far it has exceeded my expectations. And everything that I have tried on the unit has worked flawlessly, and the HDMI switching works right each and every time. And the sound quality is excellent! Both music and movies are a joy to listen to.

Now the Classe' is also going to be, without a doubt, one fine sounding controller (and good looking to boot). And if one has no need for the things I mentioned above, it will be a solid choice. And lossless decoding is supposed to be available by years end. Believe me, if the SSP-800 had offered Lossless decoding right out the gate, offered A/D conversion on it's EXT IN, and had a scaler/processor for video sources, I would have pre-ordered one.

But for the here and now, the Denon is the only higher end controller on the market that has pretty much everything.
        My Martin Logan Theater
        My DVD Collection
        My CD Collection

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Z Man
          The Classe' offered some of what I was looking for in a high end unit, but not all (no video processing/scaling, no A/D conversion on the EXT IN, no on board DTS-HD MA and TrueHD decoding, no music streaming capability, only 4 HDMI inputs, etc.).
          - I don't need the video processing my projector JVC DLA RS2 has a VXP/ Gennum 10-bit chip outboard controller and can upscale everything to 1080p.
          http://www.highendpalace.com/HEP%20Projectors.htm :T

- With blu ray disc who needs scaling

- I need the internal DTS-HD MA and DD True HD soon to be in the Classé SSP-800

- It would be nice to have Audyssey or an other automatic room optimizer
          and the THX Ultra2 Plus

"THX Ultra2 Plus is the ultimate benchmark for audio performance in the home. THX Ultra2 Plus certification is reserved for receivers that have the power to deliver sound to a wide viewing area in large home theaters and media rooms. The recommended room size for THX Ultra2 Plus Certified AV receivers is 3,000 cubic feet or larger, with a minimum 12-foot viewing distance from the video display to the primary seating positions. THX Ultra2 Plus Certified receivers include a number of proprietary THX technologies, including THX Surround EX and THX Loudness Plus. Each technology is designed to compensate for the acoustical errors that occur when movies, music and games are translated from the professional studio to the home environment."

Other than that I have simple needs

:tennis:
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

- I don't need the video processing my projector JVC DLA RS2 has a VXP/ Gennum 10-bit chip outboard controller and can upscale everything to 1080p.

That's what Classé thought too.

Why? Do you have a crippled player?

and the THX Ultra2 Plus
            Automation for convenience sake maybe, nice just to have, maybe not. THX Ultra2 Plus may provide some psychological benefit but it's doubtful you'll miss it in practice. (1) THX Ultra2 requires a 7.1 system to be useful. (2) Dolby ProLogic IIx (present in the SSP-800) is a more sophisticated surround matrix and steering algorithm negating the post processing features THX Ultra2 would provide. (3) THX Ultra2 looks great on paper but in practice it is unobservable on 5.1 systems and listening spaces need to be quite large.

I am speculating of course but it looks as if the Plus designation was added mostly for marketing appeal than it was for tangible benefits.

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

2 HDMI outputs

Does anyone have experience using a processor with 2 HDMI outputs? What exactly can you do with that? I would find it very usefull if I could view two different displays from two different sources going through the processor. Is tha possible with 800?

Example: My wife wants a TV in the bedroom and I was thinking it would be easy if I could just go HDMI out from the SSP800 for both audio AND video to the plasma in the bedroom. If possible Id like to be able to have hear watch TV in one room and me play the Xbox in the other at the same time. Possible?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

To do that the preamp would have to have a matrix switcher in it. I haven't seen that on a preamp yet. I know Gefen makes them but that won't do what you need it to do.

Eric

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                  To do that the preamp would have to have a matrix switcher in it. I haven't seen that on a preamp yet. I know Gefen makes them but that won't do what you need it to do.

Eric
                  so really the 2 HDMI outputs only acts as a switch.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                    Why? Do you have a crippled player?
                    Yes my player doesn't decode the new Codec, I am waiting for the new Panasonic BDM50 or Sony BD 550

Automation for convenience sake maybe, nice just to have, maybe not. THX Ultra2 Plus may provide some psychological benefit but it's doubtful you'll miss it in practice. (1) THX Ultra2 requires a 7.1 system to be useful. (2) Dolby ProLogic IIx (present in the SSP-800) is a more sophisticated surround matrix and steering algorithm negating the post processing features THX Ultra2 would provide. (3) THX Ultra2 looks great on paper but in practice it is unobservable on 5.1 systems and listening spaces need to be quite large.
                    I have a 7.1, (3) 802D, (2), 802s, (2)803s and JLAudio Fathom F113 so I could use the THX Ultra2 Loudness Plus

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Z Man
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Vancouver
                      Does anyone have experience using a processor with 2 HDMI outputs? What exactly can you do with that? I would find it very usefull if I could view two different displays from two different sources going through the processor. Is tha possible with 800?

Example: My wife wants a TV in the bedroom and I was thinking it would be easy if I could just go HDMI out from the SSP800 for both audio AND video to the plasma in the bedroom. If possible Id like to be able to have hear watch TV in one room and me play the Xbox in the other at the same time. Possible?
                      While I have yet to try it, I do know that my Denon AVP-A1HDCI has 2 "active" HDMI outs, and can send a signal out of both at the same time. I do not believe that 2 different sources can be sent at the same time, but now you have me curious about this.
                      My Martin Logan Theater
                      My DVD Collection
                      My CD Collection

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Vancouver
                        so really the 2 HDMI outputs only acts as a switch.
                        They are parallel outputs. Where it would be useful for example is someone with a projector with a motorized screen and a regular TV. A person could save the projector for movies and have the TV for regular TV viewing. You could run an HDMI cable to both of them from the preamp and have the same performance and system operation. If there are on screen set up menus they would show up on both. That sort of thing.

Eric

Comment

• hifiguymi
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Z Man
                          While I have yet to try it, I do know that my Denon AVP-A1HDCI has 2 "active" HDMI outs, and can send a signal out of both at the same time. I do not believe that 2 different sources can be sent at the same time, but now you have me curious about this.
                          The Denon piece has two parallel HDMI outputs. It is not a matrix switcher.

Eric

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I have a 7.1, (3) 802D, (2), 802s, (2)803s and JLAudio Fathom F113 so I could use the THX Ultra2 Loudness Plus

www.thx.com/technologies/loudness_plus.html
                            In that case what you really want is Dolby Volume. It supports 5.1 systems whereas THX Ultra2 Plus does not and the demo I attended showed very promising potential. Confirmation from Classe' that the SSP-800 will support Dolby Volume with the future dual-DSP board and firmware updates is pending. Cross your fingers!
                            Last edited by RebelMan; 03 May 2008, 00:40 Saturday.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

In that case what you really want is Dolby Volume. Confirmation from Classe' that the SSP-800 will support Dolby Volume with the future dual-DSP board and firmware updates is pending. Cross your fingers!
                              Very interesting it seems similar to THX Ultra 2 Loudness plus and that would work well.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

based on all of the arguments about denon vs classe (or any other brand for that matter) I just wanted to throw this out there.

life is about compromises. when making decisions you make your list of gotta haves and nice to haves. everyone's list will be unique to them. there is now wrong or right answer.

there are some people that feel that features are priority, and there are others that prefer to strip out the features and provide a single focus. think of it as you have 100$. where do you spend your money? spread it out on a bunch of mid quality features or spend it on focused quality parts?

the question is, which is more right for you?

I would be more inclined to ask if the cost difference between the integra against the denon is value add before comparing the denon to the classe based on features when what the conclusion people are coming to is that these two items are similar in price so the quality must be similar and the denon must be better because it has more features.
                                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• kloepfr
                                  • Feb 2008

Does the SSP 800 then put all digital HDMI input signals directly through to the HDMI outputs without any changes?
                                  Does this apply up to FULL HD 1080p 24fps or only up to 1080p?
                                  "...Life is for living... with...Classe CDP502, SSP800, CA 5200, Toshiba HD-XE1, B&W 802D, HTM2D, 2xDS7, ASW825, Mitsubishi HC 6000...."

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kloepfr
                                    Does the SSP 800 then put all digital HDMI input signals directly through to the HDMI outputs without any changes?
                                    Does this apply up to FULL HD 1080p 24fps or only up to 1080p?
                                    HDMI is passed through without any changes, including 1080/24p. The SSP-800 will convert analog video to digital so you can use one cable to the display but that is the only video processing that happens in it.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                      I would be more inclined to ask if the cost difference between the integra against the denon is value add before comparing the denon to the classe based on features when what the conclusion people are coming to is that these two items are similar in price so the quality must be similar and the denon must be better because it has more features.
                                      Quality and features can go hand in hand, LEXICON MC12 HD

Comment

• Z Man
                                        • Jan 2008

and the THX Ultra2 Plus

"THX Ultra2 Plus is the ultimate benchmark for audio performance in the home. THX Ultra2 Plus certification is reserved for receivers that have the power to deliver sound to a wide viewing area in large home theaters and media rooms. The recommended room size for THX Ultra2 Plus Certified AV receivers is 3,000 cubic feet or larger, with a minimum 12-foot viewing distance from the video display to the primary seating positions. THX Ultra2 Plus Certified receivers include a number of proprietary THX technologies, including THX Surround EX and THX Loudness Plus. Each technology is designed to compensate for the acoustical errors that occur when movies, music and games are translated from the professional studio to the home environment."

Other than that I have simple needs

First off I have to say that you have one gorgeous setup! WOW! Matched speakers all the way around. That is sweet! :T And if I were to own cone based speakers, those B&W's would be one of my top 3 choices.

Re the controller, yes I can see why you wouldn't need the on board scaling/processing of the Denon AVP.

My needs on the other hand are quite different and I really needed to utilize the scaler/video processing in the Denon AVP. I have and still use some legacy gear, including a Pioneer LD player, and S-VHS deck. So having the AVP do the scaling made sense to me.

But I can see that if all you really are wanting is for the controller to do the decoding of the new lossless audio formats, then once the updgrade for the SSP-800 is available it looks like a great choice. Best of luck to you, and I hope that the SSP-800 is everything you ever wanted in a high end controller.
                                        My Martin Logan Theater
                                        My DVD Collection
                                        My CD Collection

Comment

• sikoniko
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

Quality and features can go hand in hand, LEXICON MC12 HD
                                          Do they?

First, you are talking about a processor that is out of the price range of the SSP-800 / Denon. Scale of economy and amount they can invest in features goes up to increase quality theoretically goes up, or in lexicon's case profit margin.
                                          Second, people that buy the lexicon for HT do not typically use it for 2 channel, as the performance is sub-par. (Ask misterdoggy)
                                          Third, did they fix it so it will play audio over HDMI or it is still just a switcher?
                                          Fourth, many people still find the SSP-600 to be a better sounding processor over the lexicon.
                                          Fifth, in talking to my dealer, lexicon is like Mac. People will buy it based on brand alone, never demoing it before purchase.
                                          Sixth, when it comes to musical equipment, Lexicon's name is based around its reverb. That is the feature they do well and people will spend good money on that effect.
                                          Seventh, Lexicon outsources most of it's technology. What you are paying for is a pretty silver case and the name lexicon. Logic7 is available from HK products as well.

Again, MY gotta have is higher quality DAC's over an IPOD port. I don't own an IPOD so, I don't need to pay a company for licensing of that feature as well as the hardware to make it happen.

Another example, I don't believe in paying for radio, so why would I care about satellite radio integration? I find myself channel surfing 10x worst on satellite radio than I already do on analog radio, as stations often only play 1 song I like in a row. I find myself buying audio books more than anything. Plus, why would I buy a high dollar item to listen to the radio anyways when my 10 dollar boom box plays over the air radio just fine for background noise?

Those are things I think about. Again, what is right for me is not right for everyone.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2007

Seventh, Lexicon outsources most of it's technology. What you are paying for is a pretty silver case and the name lexicon. Logic7 is available from HK products as well.
                                            Logic7 is a Lexicon technology. Since they are a Harman company, most of the other Harman divisions have access to it. That is why you find it in cars (Harman builds car audio systems for quite a few auto makers), in H/K receivers etc.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                              Logic7 is a Lexicon technology. Since they are a Harman company, most of the other Harman divisions have access to it. That is why you find it in cars (Harman builds car audio systems for quite a few auto makers), in H/K receivers etc.

Eric

While I wasn't clear, I was mostly meaning they outsource their amps. I should have made a second bullet for logic7 being available in lower cost products.

Comment

• yannparis
                                                • May 2007

Which Denon are you using?

I have been debating between the new pre/pro from Denon and the Classé SSP-800.

$1K difference

I ve tried a Denon AVC-A1XV. Denon produces very good processors.

If you need Room management, I ve heard Trinnov Optimizer. It is a professionnal USD12K processor. It seems that MC is working to put it in a new processor. It is also used by Sherwood.
                                                It is not only EQ. It is a sound field processor (it uses a spacial pick-up and works on fields)
                                                > it corrects the phase response of the loodspeaker,
                                                > it is not just room equalization. The system canceled the first reflexions. You are virtually in a bigger room!.
                                                > It also remaps loudspeaker positions!

It is impressive and deserves a listening.

Regards

Yann, Paris

PS: The minimum Room management is the THX RE-EQ ( or something with the same characteristics).It is required. Film soundtracks are mastered to be listened in Theatre equalized following Dolby X-curve. Re-Eq corrects this. Without this, the sound is too bright.
                                                Last edited by yannparis; 04 May 2008, 12:25 Sunday.

Comment

• Z Man
                                                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by yannparis
                                                  Which Denon are you using?

I have been debating between the new pre/pro from Denon and the Classé SSP-800.

$1K difference

I ve tried a Denon AVC-A1XV
                                                  Hi,

If your question was directed to me, I'm using the new Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro.
                                                  My Martin Logan Theater
                                                  My DVD Collection
                                                  My CD Collection

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

First, you are talking about a processor that is out of the price range of the SSP-800 / Denon. Scale of economy and amount they can invest in features goes up to increase quality theoretically goes up, or in lexicon's case profit margin..
                                                    Well Classé and Lexicon are about the same price!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2003

Well Classé and Lexicon are about the same price!

How do you figure? The 12B HD is around $14,000 US.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                        • Feb 2008

How is this going to compare to the Denon 4308 or even the AVP-A1HDCI?
                                                        SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                                        [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                                                          How is this going to compare to the Denon 4308 or even the AVP-A1HDCI?

it doesn't. buy the denon. "These droids are not the ones you are looking for."

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

How do you figure? The 12B HD is around $14,000 US.
                                                            I thought it was $9K!! In this case case closed. ops:

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Sep 2005

Rebelman...If you clear out your PM inbox ill reply to your message.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

It snuck up on me. Try again.

Comment

• sc2
                                                                  • Feb 2008

So guys,

Anybody heard anything yet? I kinda foaming-at-the-ear

Ok, I have no paitence, I want it now! Its the middle of the month, right?

Whats the status?

Steve
                                                                  Steve

Comment

• wettou
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

I guess it will be June maybe?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by sc2
                                                                      So guys,

Anybody heard anything yet? I kinda foaming-at-the-ear

Ok, I have no paitence, I want it now! Its the middle of the month, right?

Whats the status?

Steve
                                                                      You really need to check with your dealer. The SSP-800's are back-ordered now.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2006

Rebel Man: Any news on the release date yet, for the SSP-800?

I am looking forward to demo the SSP-800 and hear feed back

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 3139

First allocation is being shipped to dealers the first week of June.

Comment

• sc2
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Feb 2008
                                                                            • 65

Well,

Talked with the dealer today, he said they will have 40 to ship out this week, but 15 ship over seas and the rest get divided amongst the beggers, but they will not ship with the intended audio chip sets, this will be availible in about 6-8 weeks, any prior shipped units will get the free field upgrade when they become availible. futher shipments will be... next month by the sounds of it...

Steve
                                                                            Steve

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 3139

Don't count on your dealer seeing anything until June. Classe' ships to their distributors first then to the dealers.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

First allocation is being shipped to dealers the first week of June.
                                                                                Thanks for the update, how about new product brochures!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

Originally posted by sc2
                                                                                  but they will not ship with the intended audio chip sets, this will be availible in about 6-8 weeks, any prior shipped units will get the free field upgrade when they become available. further shipments will be... next month by the sounds of it... Steve
                                                                                  Do you mean the the SSP-800 will have the updated chips able to decode DTS-MA and DD tru HD by September?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

DO NOT PLAN ON THE UPGRADE THIS YEAR.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

Thanks for the update, how about new product brochures!
                                                                                      It is in the works. Once finished some early pics may come our way! :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 3389

It is in the works. Once finished some early pics may come our way! :T
                                                                                        Sounds great, do you know if the SSP-800 will support the Wadia iTransport
                                                                                        170i with out having to buy a external DAC?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 3139

Sounds great, do you know if the SSP-800 will support the Wadia iTransport
                                                                                          170i with out having to buy a external DAC?

http://www.wadia.com/products/products_main.htm
                                                                                          It will, absolutely. I considered the Wadia for my iPod as well. Will be using the Sonos instead.

Comment

• sc2
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2008
                                                                                            • 65

DO NOT PLAN ON THE UPGRADE THIS YEAR.
                                                                                            I only repeated what I was told, my dealer said he talked with Dave Nauber today, he was told 6 weeks, who knows if this is hot air... but I know he wasn't bulshting me around.

Steve
                                                                                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"