• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
    Kal,

The Kaleidescape is a media server for movies and music (it's very cool). They are planning on having BD capability in the not to distant future.

Eric
    Oh yeah. Not my cuppa tea.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
      Oh yeah. Not my cuppa tea.
      But the $ooloo$ and Sonos are? :roll:
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
        But the $ooloo$ and Sonos are? :roll:
        Who said that money had anything to do with it? The Sooloos was obtained for a review and is an audio-only device. The Sonos was offered for me to try out and I did because I had hoped to use it for streaming audio from the Internet. Unfortunately, I have not found a source whose quality is tolerable.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

itune works great with uncompressed files.
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Correction. Classé said they would have a definitive decision on whether the upgrade board would be forthcoming or not and its cost. This was officially confirmed with the dealer announcement. The only time frame that Classé could commit to regarding the availability of the upgrade board (at launch time) was for some time later in the year (at best). People that were on the fence regarding the upgrade and supported formats no longer need be.
            Well my understanding was from Dave N. at Classé that the upgrade would be available, but that Classé didn't know if it would be free or $.

There was no precise indication on timing just some time in the future!! :P
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Who said that money had anything to do with it?
              LOL, no one. The $ooloo$ is a video media server and the Sonos an audio one. When you said the Kaleidescape was not your cuppa tea I had trouble consolidating that with your situation given that it did both. The $ooloo$ is expensive but that wasn't the concern I had in mind when posing the question.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                Well my understanding was from Dave N. at Classé that the upgrade would be available, but that Classé didn't know if it would be free or $.

There was no precise indication on timing just some time in the future!! :P
                LOL, isn't that what I said? :W

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

itune works great with uncompressed files.
                  And who streams uncompressed files?

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

LOL, no one. The $ooloo$ is a video media server .............
                    It is? Not the one I have.

When you said the Kaleidescape was not your cuppa tea I had trouble consolidating that with your situation given that it did both.
                    I have no use for a video media server.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

It is? Not the one I have.

I have no use for a video media server.
                      Nevermind! I botched that one up. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe too much Apple TV on the brain or something. Sorry about that.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Nevermind! I botched that one up. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe too much Apple TV on the brain or something. Sorry about that.
                        No problem. I didn't even remember what Kaleidescape was although I have seen it many times.

Kal
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

The Sooloos interactive screen reminds me of a video kiosk more than a music server. I've been spoiled by the Sonos handheld controller.

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

RebelMan, I didn't see it asked beforehand, but does the SSP-800 have a dedicated iPod connection? Thanks

Comment

• Nolan B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2005

I remember asking this, but dont remember reading an answer. Does the 800 process hi rez audio? i.e. will it apply PLIIx to a 5.1 lossless PCM to make it 7.1?

Also curios to know if the 800 does an = or < job at 2 channel stereo then teh current CDP. If not just how good would it be?

Any reason why all the DACs in the 800 cant be as good as the DACs in the CDP?

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

ssp800

direct from B&W Switzerland:
                                ---------------------------------
                                Der SSP800 wird im Mai/Juni lieferbar sein und klanglich und technologisch ein absolutes Spitzenprodukt sein (Dual-DSP).

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Fritz Fabig

B&W Group (Schweiz) GmbH
                                Ifangstrasse 5
                                8952 Schlieren
                                Switzerland
                                -------------------------------------

Omar

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by style
                                  direct from B&W Switzerland:
                                  ---------------------------------
                                  Der SSP800 wird im Mai/Juni lieferbar sein und klanglich und technologisch ein absolutes Spitzenprodukt sein (Dual-DSP).

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Fritz Fabig

B&W Group (Schweiz) GmbH
                                  Ifangstrasse 5
                                  8952 Schlieren
                                  Switzerland
                                  -------------------------------------

Omar
                                  I'm guessing I see something about May / June in there??
                                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Feb 2006

ssp800

My friend of B & W Switzerland also told me over the phone that ssp800 Switzerland will be available in May or June. (CHf about. 13900 .-)
                                    About order now pre / pro receive just available without extra charge for the update dts master.

i don't no how much will be the price in USA but i think not more as $.9000.-
                                    and at today 1 chf. = 1 $!!!
                                    (in europa $13600.- to have the ssp800)

Omar

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                      I remember asking this, but dont remember reading an answer. Does the 800 process hi rez audio? i.e. will it apply PLIIx to a 5.1 lossless PCM to make it 7.1?
                                      Yes, up to the resolution limits of the source media. The SSP-800 will only input up to 24/192 for two-channel stereo but has the capacity to output up to 24/192 for multi-channel audio by upsampling.

Also curios to know if the 800 does an = or < job at 2 channel stereo then teh current CDP. If not just how good would it be?
                                      I suspect it will equal or exceed. However, S/PDIF induced jitter cannot be completely accounted for so the (current) CDP may have the edge when used as a player rather than as a transport. I intend to evaluate this aspect to confirm my suspicions.

Any reason why all the DACs in the 800 cant be as good as the DACs in the CDP?
                                      Costs and the fact that the PCM1796 DACs are suffcient for the (surround) roles they are engaged in.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                                        RebelMan, I didn't see it asked beforehand, but does the SSP-800 have a dedicated iPod connection? Thanks
                                        Nothing "dedicated" like the Wadia iPod Dock. There might be third party adapters that will allow one to extract the digital signals through the iPod's dock connector but I haven't found any... yet.

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Two more weeks and then hopefully the SSP-800 ships!

Comment

• beden1
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2006

Nothing "dedicated" like the Wadia iPod Dock. There might be third party adapters that will allow one to extract the digital signals through the iPod's dock connector but I haven't found any... yet.
                                            That's kind of surprising that a a dedicated iPod connection would not be included in any new piece of equipment today. I've been enjoying listening to my iPod through my system while busy doing other things in the house, enabled through a supplied dedicated connection in my Pioneer Elite receiver that is now over two years old.

I guess with the Classe piece, you could always use the Radio Shack iPod single input connection to left and right RCA pre-pro inputs. But, this is not an optimal solution, particularly for something that costs $8,000. For that kind of money, I would want all of the bells and whistles.

I guess I'll just wait to see what next year's crop of new equipment offers.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Not surprising at all. The SSP-800 is a preamplier/processor not a receiver. By definition pre/pro's do not include tuners, amplification, and options like a proprietary iPod docking port which some Pioneer receivers have.

As a loooong time iPod supporter I like the novelty of iPod ready devices but find their greatest appeal in vehicle sound systems. I agree that native compatibility with the iPod's dock connector will provide better performance than using a stereo mini-jack to stereo RCA connector cable. But when used as it's primary purpose in a home system, for background music, the choice becomes arbitrary.

The intention of iPod ready support is to facilitate better usability and control over the iPod through the compatible device's display interface. This is to my thinking the bigger selling point for including the feature in the first place.

A music distribution like Sonos is significantly more powerful than an iPod docking solution for home audio systems. It also offers tip top performance and is built on existing cable connection standards like S/PDIF and RCA. iPod compatibility is nice for the right application but I'd never leverage this feature in lieu of audio performance, NEVER.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Beauty...

and the BEAST!

Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Interesting comparison, on one hand you have every thing and then some on the other it is clean and efficient.

I will take quality over quantity and since I have only a few needs HDMi is all I care for is to plug the following.

- JVC DLA-RS2 (HDMi)
                                                  - Blu Ray Player (HDMi)
                                                  - SACD player (HDMi)
                                                  - Music Server (Optical/Coaxial too bad no HDMi )

Classé CA amps (XLR)

I wished some one could make a top of the line all digital pre/pro.

That would be great, save money and ditch all the analogue sorry. Digital is the way to go.

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

[QUOTE=RebelMan]Beauty...

Is this the Classé SSP-800 drawing?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Is this the Classé SSP-800 drawing?
                                                      It is.

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Cool, how did you get your hands on this!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Interesting comparison, on one hand you have every thing and then some on the other it is clean and efficient.
                                                          Indeed.

I wished some one could make a top of the line all digital pre/pro.

That would be great, save money and ditch all the analogue sorry. Digital is the way to go.
                                                          Classé would tend to agree with you and the SSP-800 is the first major step in that direction. Their next pre-amplifier will follow suit as well.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Cool, how did you get your hands on this!
                                                            By pleading mercifully. LOL :B

I am hoping once the SSP-800 begins to ship (maybe sooner) I'll have some full color photos to share too. :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

[QUOTE=RebelMan]By pleading mercifully. LOL

LOL? what does it mean so we are still on track for May 1st!! That would be great, maybe I will check with Dave!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

LOL = Laughing Out Loud.

The first week of May is still on target.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Excellent, let's hope it is not delayed again.

I am ready to replace the Integra and have the Classé pre/pro to elevate the CA-5200 and CA-2100 to an other level.

Now if I could only get dealer cost it would be even better! ($4K or $4.8K instead of $8K now that would be very nice!)

Comment

• beden1
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

Not surprising at all. The SSP-800 is a preamplier/processor not a receiver. By definition pre/pro's do not include tuners, amplification, and options like a proprietary iPod docking port which some Pioneer receivers have.

As a loooong time iPod supporter I like the novelty of iPod ready devices but find their greatest appeal in vehicle sound systems. I agree that native compatibility with the iPod's dock connector will provide better performance than using a stereo mini-jack to stereo RCA connector cable. But when used as it's primary purpose in a home system, for background music, the choice becomes arbitrary.

The intention of iPod ready support is to facilitate better usability and control over the iPod through the compatible device's display interface. This is to my thinking the bigger selling point for including the feature in the first place.

A music distribution like Sonos is significantly more powerful than an iPod docking solution for home audio systems. It also offers tip top performance and is built on existing cable connection standards like S/PDIF and RCA. iPod compatibility is nice for the right application but I'd never leverage this feature in lieu of audio performance, NEVER.
                                                                    I think with today's technological capabilities and the ever costly purchase prices of high line equipment, a pre-pro should offer all of the features of a receiver including a tuner, and no power amp. I also feel that the high end consumer should not have to be as much of a beta tester as we are being subjected to, with nearly every electronics purchase during the last few years.

I think it's great to have the flexibility offered for fixes and add-ons enabled through the internet, but it seems like too many manufacturers rush to market before they are ready for prime time.

And, with the massive popularity of the iPod, I would have expected a dedicated solution like the Pioneer offers, to have been a no brainer. Soros and other music server solutions are better quality than the iPod, but the cost is also very prohibitive for this emerging technology IMO.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

I would agree with beden1 that you would think they have market research that tells them what customer are looking for. Quality and Features can go hand in hand!

On top of it with the iPod popularity one doesn't need any market research to know that millions of people use it

Comment

• merlinus
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2008

Hey RebelMan, thanks hugely for the drawing of the rear of the SSP-800! My dealer is quite impressed, and so am I!!!

Looks like there is an xlr connection for the subwoofer as well as the other speakers, which means I will need a cable with a female xlr to an rca.

Is there recommended pinout information available for this?

Or since my sub only has rca inputs, better to use an unbalanced cable from the 800?
                                                                        merlin

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 3139

I think with today's technological capabilities and the ever costly purchase prices of high line equipment, a pre-pro should offer all of the features of a receiver including a tuner, and no power amp.
                                                                          Understood but what you are asking for is not what a pre/pro does.

I also feel that the high end consumer should not have to be as much of a beta tester as we are being subjected to, with nearly every electronics purchase during the last few years.

I think it's great to have the flexibility offered for fixes and add-ons enabled through the internet, but it seems like too many manufacturers rush to market before they are ready for prime time.
                                                                          What are you really saying?

And, with the massive popularity of the iPod, I would have expected a dedicated solution like the Pioneer offers, to have been a no brainer. Soros and other music server solutions are better quality than the iPod, but the cost is also very prohibitive for this emerging technology IMO.
                                                                          Mr. Z06 (aka U) should know better than most that quality and high performance doesn't come cheap!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

Originally posted by merlinus
                                                                            Hey RebelMan, thanks hugely for the drawing of the rear of the SSP-800! My dealer is quite impressed, and so am I!!!
                                                                            My pleasure.

Looks like there is an xlr connection for the subwoofer as well as the other speakers, which means I will need a cable with a female xlr to an rca.

Is there recommended pinout information available for this?

Or since my sub only has rca inputs, better to use an unbalanced cable from the 800?
                                                                            I would say if you have an RCA only capable subwoofer to use an unbalanced RCA cable without any adapters.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2006
                                                                              • 1676

Understood but what you are asking for is not what a pre/pro does.

A high end Pre-Pro should do it, and do it well . . . offer the best of all features of a receiver, sans the amps!

What are you really saying?

Instead of launching electronics like the SSP-800 for example, they should wait until their lossless audio features are included, instead of expecting their customers to perform these upgrades. Particularly since it would appear they are close to making them available in the first place.

Mr. Z06 (aka U) should know better than most that quality and high performance doesn't come cheap!
                                                                              I'm not complaining about the cost, but for the price, I expect value like the ZO6!
                                                                              Last edited by beden1; 17 April 2008, 23:50 Thursday.

Comment

• Harmonium
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2008
                                                                                • 28

[QUOTE=RebelMan]Beauty...

I'm worried a bit here. Where is the XLR Digital input ? My SSP-600 has one and I need one to plug my CDT-300. I hope it is just my eyes that are too tired to see it !

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2007
                                                                                  • 1532

Originally posted by Harmonium
                                                                                  I'm worried a bit here. Where is the XLR Digital input ? My SSP-600 has one and I need one to plug my CDT-300. I hope it is just my eyes that are too tired to see it !
                                                                                  All you will need is an HDMI cable and it will do it all.

Eric

Comment

• Harmonium
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2008
                                                                                    • 28

All you will need is an HDMI cable and it will do it all.

Eric
                                                                                    Well, I never used the HDMI cable for the audio signal. Will it be better ?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

I'm not complaining about the cost, but for the price, I expect value like the ZO6!
                                                                                      For its class you get Z06 value and more! If it was just value then look no further than a Shelby GT500. :W

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2007
                                                                                        • 1532

Originally posted by Harmonium
                                                                                        Well, I never used the HDMI cable for the audio signal. Will it be better ?
                                                                                        It's been so long since I've used an AES/EBU balanced digital cable I couldn't tell you. I've not seen a product that has one and HDMI so right now there isn't a way to compare them.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

HDMi digital cable is lossless and therefore should be better. When I look at Video and compare HDMi vs component on a JVC RS2, HDMi comes out cleaner, so one can assume it will be the same on the audio side.

But "Proof is in the pudding" as they say in England, so until we can compare we will just have to assume

Comment

• Harmonium
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Apr 2008
                                                                                            • 28

It's been so long since I've used an AES/EBU balanced digital cable I couldn't tell you. I've not seen a product that has one and HDMI so right now there isn't a way to compare them.

Eric
                                                                                            Well, for me it is hard to beat an AES/EBU balanced digital cable (I'm using Siltech as cable between SSP-600 and CDT-300) and I've never heard sound from an HDMI cable. So it will be a surprise since I already ordered my SSP-800.

François

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"