X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Any one knows when Classé will release an updated software?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
      Any one knows when Classé will release an updated software?
      I asked, and was told April, which doesn't really narrow it down too much, but perhaps within the next 5 weeks.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by mjb
        I asked, and was told April, which doesn't really narrow it down too much, but perhaps within the next 5 weeks.
        Will it include new features like Dolby IIz and Dolby Volume?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• rogerdn
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Michelino
          I have watched the Chris Botti in Boston bluray and I thoroughly enjoyed the sound, using my A1 as a transport. However I'm using the A1's dual HDMI outputs with one HDMI directly to my display and the other to the SSP-800, Denon calls this A/V Pure Direct and is the preferred way plus when connecting this way I don't have the occasional video hiccup I've been experiencing from time to time. Although the jury is still out, my ears seem to prefer Bluray HD audio with the SSP-800 DAC's but still prefer the A1 DAC's for 2-channel cd/sacd as well as multi-channel sacd. The latter could be a result of a limitation the A1 has when sending sacd decoded signal via HDMI. As for DVD-A the few that I have that will play with the SSP-800's HDMI connection have sounded very good. Until I have a chance to compare some of my favorite DVD-A's I can't say which I prefer. My guess is that either one will sound very good.
          What is the 'hiccup' you experience ? About 25% of the time I cannot switch back to my DTv receiver from say my CD player (on S/PDIF) without toggling between the sources several times. Last night I never did get it to switch after several tries and it seems to start this only after it's on the receiver source for awhile. Is this a bug Classe is working on do you know ?

Comment

• Michelino
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by rogerdn
            What is the 'hiccup' you experience ? About 25% of the time I cannot switch back to my DTv receiver from say my CD player (on S/PDIF) without toggling between the sources several times. Last night I never did get it to switch after several tries and it seems to start this only after it's on the receiver source for awhile. Is this a bug Classe is working on do you know ?
            I think the bug you mentioned is something that Classe is working on fixing with there new firmware update. The hiccup I'm experiencing, and lately it hasn't been doing it, is that when playing a bluray disc sometimes the video does not go to my TV but it does show up on the SSP-800's display. Tom McConahan from Classe has sent me a beta test code to load that is supposed to address the problems with my Denon A1UDCI, but I am just waiting for a clarification from him on one thing before I attempt to download it.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

I think the bug you mentioned is something that Classe is working on fixing with there new firmware update. The hiccup I'm experiencing, and lately it hasn't been doing it, is that when playing a bluray disc sometimes the video does not go to my TV but it does show up on the SSP-800's display. Tom McConahan from Classe has sent me a beta test code to load that is supposed to address the problems with my Denon A1UDCI, but I am just waiting for a clarification from him on one thing before I attempt to download it.
              If it is v74, it seems OK in my brief experience. I have only tried it with Oppo and Sony players.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Srrndhound
                • Sep 2008

Will it include new features like Dolby IIz and Dolby Volume?
                I doubt it. They are still working on bug fixes. Next round has the PEQ bug fixed--finally!

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                  I doubt it. They are still working on bug fixes. Next round has the PEQ bug fixed--finally!
                  They need more software engineers!! I said that already

Comment

• Al B
                    • Feb 2009

They need more software engineers!! I said that already
                    Any word on the potential release date for the v 2.02. It's been since 23Nov09 since we've last seen an update? Sure would be nice to get a taste of the resolves they have fixed!

Comment

• adidino
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Al B
                      Any word on the potential release date for the v 2.02. It's been since 23Nov09 since we've last seen an update? Sure would be nice to get a taste of the resolves they have fixed!
                      -
                      It should be released shortly. Some of us are using the pre-release version of the firmware which seems pretty stable. The videosync issue with some players also seems to be resolved. (depending on your player/display).

Comment

• Srrndhound
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Al B
                        Yes, it was Nov 23.

Classe said about a week ago they were planning an "interim" update for all the various changes already accrued, but it would take more time for the PEQ fix to be integrated as it was some sort of architectural change that is, my words, two steps forward, one step back-- so they have to work rather hard to get back to where it was. But then, no "release candidate" came...

I wonder if that means they a) found some new issues that wanted to get into the package, or b) have made faster progress on the PEQ fix than they thought, so are sliding it in. Or not.

Comment

• Michelino
                          • Nov 2009

Yes, it was Nov 23.

Classe said about a week ago they were planning an "interim" update for all the various changes already accrued, but it would take more time for the PEQ fix to be integrated as it was some sort of architectural change that is, my words, two steps forward, one step back-- so they have to work rather hard to get back to where it was. But then, no "release candidate" came...

I wonder if that means they a) found some new issues that wanted to get into the package, or b) have made faster progress on the PEQ fix than they thought, so are sliding it in. Or not.

I see Classe has released the new firmware code 2.0.2_0075 just today. I had a little problem when I tried to download the interim Beta code earlier today because of a glitch with Windows 7. I believe the problem was because my laptop did not retrieve the correct drivers for the SSP-800's USB that will work with windows 7. It was just as well since they just released the official new firmware code.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                            • Sep 2008

0075, so far, as expected--same as 0074 beta.

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

Hi Michelino,

with the official firmware & window7 all go without problem?

is like to load the firm. 071: to be loaded the SSP need to go 2-3 times in off&on "position"?

thx Style

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

0075, so far, as expected--same as 0074 beta.
                                Is it worth loading it or should we wait for the next version! What bugs does it fix?:T

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                  • Sep 2008

Is it worth loading it or should we wait for the next version! What bugs does it fix?:T
                                  Definitely worth loading. The details from the release notes are:

Fixes issue where calibrating with internal noise generator would set single sub configurations to an incorrect level until the single sub was reassigned

The spectra of the sub noise generator has also been adjusted to give more consistent results over a range of subs

Addresses momentary increase in volume when changing inputs

Corrects loss of sync between large and small volume displays that occurred when large volume selected in relative mode with OSD timeout set to zero

Fixes loss of PCM audio via HDMI on some DVD-A and SACD players

Addresses issue where post processing could not be applied when playing a stereo DVD-A via HDMI Enables subwoofer output on mono post processing modes

Resolves loss of video at resolution change when some Blu-ray players were set to Deep Color

Resolves loss of video at resolution change on some displays and Blu-ray players

Enables post processing on stereo DVD-A disks at rates above 96kHz

Significantly improves intermittent muting during track transitions on CDDA playback.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Definitely worth loading. The details from the release notes
                                    Gracias, that is good but why no new Feature like Dolby Volume or Dolby IIz

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                      • Sep 2008

Gracias, that is good but why no new Feature like Dolby Volume or Dolby IIz
                                      I've seen no announcements about new features. Did they say something about that? So it's just bug fixes for now. More to come--I hope. :W

Comment

• style
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Feb 2006

Hi,

how much persons have this new firmware loaded?

..aalll the same ike version 071? -> in more time "up&down" with the SSP?

thx

Style

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

I've seen no announcements about new features. Did they say something about that? So it's just bug fixes for now. More to come--I hope. :W
                                          Only bug fixes I was told maybe in 2011 we will see new features!:cry:

Comment

• Skyblue
                                            • Jun 2009

Sorry to ask a stupid question: But isn't it more than two years since the ssp 800 was released? And they are still bugfixing? Will they make it work before they release a new flagship product?
                                            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                              Sorry to ask a stupid question: But isn't it more than two years since the ssp 800 was released? And they are still bugfixing? Will they make it work before they release a new flagship product?
                                              not a stupid question...

don't you think they should get some leniency for releasing a new DSP chipset in the last 6 months that was not even available to them to test at initial release?

the other thing to note is that most other brands in this price range are still working through bugs as well...

I'd really like to see them get Dolby Volume ASAP. I use my proc/ stereo for casual TV watching, and Dolby Volume solves the issue with commercial volume getting out of hand. :T

I'm curious for dolby PLIIz, but i don't see spending any more money on the system this year... had to replace my AC (heat pump) last month.
                                              Last edited by sikoniko; 03 April 2010, 20:57 Saturday.
                                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                not a stupid question...

don't you think they should get some leniency for releasing a new DSP chipset in the last 6 months that was not even available to them to test at initial release?

the other thing to note is that most other brands in this price range are still working through bugs as well...

I'd really like to see them get Dolby Volume ASAP. I use my proc/ stereo for casual TV watching, and Dolby Volume solves the issue with commercial volume getting out of hand. :T

I'm curious for dolby volume, but i don't see spending any more money on the system this year... had to replace my AC (heat pump) last month.
                                                I certainly would like to see dolby volume as well. However, the number of bugs and average bugfixing time just sounds really bad. I know arcam had similar problems with their new releases, still not good enough in mhy professional opinion as a cs major.
                                                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2006

I think this is the new world we live in. Instead of a lingua franca of 2v f.s. analog connections, one per channel, we now have a myriad of formats, each governed by a different set of standards and, thanks to the need(?) for content protection and adding features, those are subtly changing all the time. Anyone who brings out a product which is perfect today (fat chance!) will still face the need to keep up with the moving targets by modifying the firmware.

As the day arrives that all components are Internet-linked, such updates will require little user involvement. For example, the Oppo BD players will alert you to updates automatically and download/install them for you, if you approve.
                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                  _______________________________
                                                  "Music in the Round"
                                                  Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                  http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2003

I realized I put dolby volume in the second part of my feature requests by mistake. I fixed it, but since it is quoted, it now say DPLIIz.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2003

I certainly would like to see dolby volume as well. However, the number of bugs and average bugfixing time just sounds really bad. I know arcam had similar problems with their new releases, still not good enough in mhy professional opinion as a cs major.
                                                      well.. not every user is affected by the same bug. for instance, I didn't have any of the hdmi issues that some people have. I had an issue with two subs, but how many people here have two subs? I'm in the minority.

I think that Kal hit the nail on the head with copy protection built into HDMI. If I remember correctly, Dave once told me that the SSP has to pass the key every three seconds. That certainly would introduce new issues that these companies have never had to deal with before. add to that the ever changing HDMI standard, it really is a moving target for manufacturers to keep up, or decide when and how to enter the market.

Times have changed and ultimately, we as consumers will have to walk a fine line between allowing a CE manufacturer a certain amount of grace, and holding them to there promise of a stable product. Thats not easy for us to do with this level of a commitment (monetary), but you get what you pay for.

the newest onkyo's or yamaha's or other mass market brands don't suffer from these issues because their latest product wasn't out this time last year. you can upgrade every year with the latest mass market brand, or understand that a boutique company won't deliver new products annually, and may take longer to work through issues, but in the end, deliver a higher caliber of experience -bugs and all- than you get from mass market.

the beauty of capitalism is that you vote with your wallet. companies don't stay in business if they can't sell product.

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                        As the day arrives that all components are Internet-linked, such updates will require little user involvement. For example, the Oppo BD players will alert you to updates automatically and download/install them for you, if you approve.
                                                        Yes that would be nice or just like with the PS3! Also I tryed doing the upgrade with Windows 7 fat chance it didn't work!!!

The program is not compatible with Windows 7!

Had to take the SSP-800 to the dealer with and have him do it!!

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                          • Jun 2009

well.. not every user is affected by the same bug. for instance, I didn't have any of the hdmi issues that some people have. I had an issue with two subs, but how many people here have two subs? I'm in the minority.

I think that Kal hit the nail on the head with copy protection built into HDMI. If I remember correctly, Dave once told me that the SSP has to pass the key every three seconds. That certainly would introduce new issues that these companies have never had to deal with before. add to that the ever changing HDMI standard, it really is a moving target for manufacturers to keep up, or decide when and how to enter the market.

Times have changed and ultimately, we as consumers will have to walk a fine line between allowing a CE manufacturer a certain amount of grace, and holding them to there promise of a stable product. Thats not easy for us to do with this level of a commitment (monetary), but you get what you pay for.

the newest onkyo's or yamaha's or other mass market brands don't suffer from these issues because their latest product wasn't out this time last year. you can upgrade every year with the latest mass market brand, or understand that a boutique company won't deliver new products annually, and may take longer to work through issues, but in the end, deliver a higher caliber of experience -bugs and all- than you get from mass market.

the beauty of capitalism is that you vote with your wallet. companies don't stay in business if they can't sell product.
                                                          Having been in computers for about 25 years, I wholeheartedly welcome the entrance of digital components into hifi. In computers everything has gotten about 2x faster every other year. And everytime you upgrade to something new its significantly better than your old gear.

Back in the 80's many companies made their own computers. Commodore, Atari, Ibm, Apple, Olivetti, ... Now, we have pc's made from parts. Even apple computers are made from intel cpu's and amd or nvidia graphic cards.

This I think is the future of surround pre's. A selection of of the shelves dac's, some dsp processors and a custom casing to make it look separate from the competitors. But bottomline is that companies will go from developing units to assembling them. Making your own dps processor or dac will simply be too expensive.

This also means that the main points of competition will be price and software. This will favor the companies that are large and can get big discounts and who are also able to use their software in several models. Ie. the hdmi handshake protocol.

I think what I mean is, is that classe better start thinking of the ssp 800 as a software project with some hardware requirements, instead of a hardware box with some software bugs. The software is a larger part of their added value than they think.

Also, internet updates are a must. Windows had it since win98 and that was 12 years ago. Thats when we had 200mhz cpu's and 128mb ram was good. That was aons ago. Denon has it, the auto update. Next version of the a1hd might have better dacs than ssp 800, and then what are they going to do? Then they will be beaten on price, software and updates. Then they must compete on the beauty of the box instead. Like Lexicon

Comment

• Teejoo
                                                            • Dec 2009

But compared to the Arcam AV-888 the SSP-800 has very little, and much less 'big' problems like loud bangs, crasher etc. Most of the Classé bugs are just annoying.
                                                            However, Compared to the way Tag McLaren audio released and fixed bugfixes in it's days, every company loses. That was really great!
                                                            Teejooscoop

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Teejoo
                                                              But compared to the Arcam AV-888 the SSP-800 has very little, and much less 'big'problems like loud bangs, crasher etc. Most of the Classé bugs are just annoying.
                                                              However, Compared to the way Tag McLaren audio released and fixed bugfixes in it's days, every company loses. That was really great!
                                                              I'm looking at arcam 888, classe ssp 800 and the denon a1hd, and currently the denon is the clear favorite since as you say, arcams bugs are even worse and there are more of them.

Comment

• Teejoo
                                                                • Dec 2009

Are the settings being backed-up when you update?
                                                                Teejooscoop

Comment

• style
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Feb 2006

hi guys,

how much from you hd loaded the new firmaware?

with wibdows 7 run with problems?
                                                                  to have the update fully on work the loading need a pairs o and off from te SSP like with the version 071???

thx Style

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2008

Are the settings being backed-up when you update?
                                                                    No settings are lost during an update.

Comment

• Teejoo
                                                                      • Dec 2009

No settings are lost during an update.
                                                                      Nice!
                                                                      Teejooscoop

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

I'm looking at arcam 888, classe ssp 800 and the denon a1hd, and currently the denon is the clear favorite since as you say, arcams bugs are even worse and there are more of them.
                                                                        I would not buy the arcam, even if that was my first choice. there is a company that rebadges it and sells it cheaper (part of the umbrella company that owns arcam). I can't remember their name... perhaps maestro?

Denon certainly is leading the march when it comes to swiss army knives. :T I don't necessarily agree with your position on assembly of parts. two engineers given the same bucket of parts may come to two completely different end-points. 8O there is no guarranty which one will be better. one would hope that the company that takes more time to the art of assembly would come to a better result than the one that rushes to market...

I can't finish my thought... so this will have to do for now. My 8 month old is up and ready to be playing... wish he'd sleep in.

Comment

• Teejoo
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Dec 2009

Uploading the new firmware to the SSP-800 worked very well. Now I've restarted the unit and it's upgrading...
                                                                          Teejooscoop

Comment

• Teejoo
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2009
                                                                            • 44

And V2.0.2 is loaded!

Already very happy with it as it solved the HDMI auto resolution problem with my Pioneer LX91. Very convenient when playing Blu-ray, NTSC and PAL dvd's. :banana:

EDIT: Oops, I forgot a blu-ray disc always were output with the correct resolution. :banghead: DVD's still aren't... :nonod: So a little bit less happy..
                                                                            Last edited by Teejoo; 04 April 2010, 10:36 Sunday.
                                                                            Teejooscoop

Comment

• Michelino
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Nov 2009
                                                                              • 88

Originally posted by style
                                                                              hi guys,

how much from you hd loaded the new firmaware?

with wibdows 7 run with problems?
                                                                              to have the update fully on work the loading need a pairs o and off from te SSP like with the version 071???

thx Style
                                                                              I am having problems loading the new firmware update with my laptop and Windows 7. Anybody have any success downloading this new firmware update with Windows 7?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 2299

I am having problems loading the new firmware update with my laptop and Windows 7. Anybody have any success downloading this new firmware update with Windows 7?
                                                                                I use Windows7. I have a serial cable attached. don't have a usb cable. shouldnt be an issue though.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2006
                                                                                  • 2109

Yes that would be nice or just like with the PS3! Also I tryed doing the upgrade with Windows 7 fat chance it didn't work!!!

The program is not compatible with Windows 7!

Had to take the SSP-800 to the dealer with and have him do it!!
                                                                                  Perfect example. Win7 was not on the market when the SSP was designed, so it was impossible for Win7 compatibility to be included.
                                                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                                                  "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2006
                                                                                    • 2109

And V2.0.2 is loaded!

Already very happy with it as it solved the HDMI auto resolution problem with my Pioneer LX91. Very convenient when playing Blu-ray, NTSC and PAL dvd's. :banana:

EDIT: Oops, I forgot a blu-ray disc always were output with the correct resolution. :banghead: DVD's still aren't... :nonod: So a little bit less happy..
                                                                                    Any other improvements/issues that might warrant the update?
                                                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                                                    "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2009
                                                                                      • 504

Perfect example. Win7 was not on the market when the SSP was designed, so it was impossible for Win7 compatibility to be included.
                                                                                      Hmm I disagree. Windows is really backwards compatible a looong loong way. Not 100%, but still. You should be able to run more or less any program that will run on a win 2k and later on win7. In classé's case, all they really need is to be usb compatible or similar to move their update to the unit. My 2005 dell screen and my dell 2008 screen both work perfectly with my win 7 usb implementation.

As I dont have the ssp 800 I would guess that classé put in a lock or something preventing the software from executing on win7, even though it most likely would work. Should work even...

Edit: Of course, changes in sound codecs or the hdmi protocol obviously cannot be predicted. However that changes will occur is quite certain, and manufacturers should plan for it imo.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 2299

Hmm I disagree. Windows is really backwards compatible a looong loong way. Not 100%, but still. You should be able to run more or less any program that will run on a win 2k and later on win7. In classé's case, all they really need is to be usb compatible or similar to move their update to the unit. My 2005 dell screen and my dell 2008 screen both work perfectly with my win 7 usb implementation.

As I dont have the ssp 800 I would guess that classé put in a lock or something preventing the software from executing on win7, even though it most likely would work. Should work even...

Edit: Of course, changes in sound codecs or the hdmi protocol obviously cannot be predicted. However that changes will occur is quite certain, and manufacturers should plan for it imo.
                                                                                        the software does work on windows7... I use it to do my updates...

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

the software does work on windows7... I use it to do my updates...
                                                                                          Well it worked fine with Vista I am glad my dealer still has a system that worked?

I downloaded the software several time and the application would not open at all giving me an error message

Comment

• Teejoo
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2009
                                                                                            • 44

Luckily for us the SSP-800 doesn't have to be windows 7 proof, the software has to be..
                                                                                            Teejooscoop

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"