X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
    With all due respect, shouldn't this have been posted in the Denon thread?
    Yes I think he wanted us sitting on the fence that Denon AVP with all it's bells and whistles does n't sound that great for a 7K pre/pro that's all.

Now that the SSP800 is out there in the open we will see how it fares and how good it is? Reviews should be coming soon as well:T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Z Man
      • Jan 2008

I'm guessing this is what you are referring to though?
      First off if he had to post it, like you said, it should have been on the Denon thread.

And while the AVREV. reviewer is entitled to his opinion, I totally disagree with his assessment. I know that I am loving mine.

And I agree, let's please keep this thread focused on the SSP-800.

Seth
      My Martin Logan Theater
      My DVD Collection
      My CD Collection

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

according to my dealer, equity has not shipped a single SSP-800. They not expecting to receive supply until the end of July or early August.

This means that Carlos has a pre-production unit, which Rebelman said was expected.

With that being said, I am starting to think that we should all expect shipment for CEDIA and if they deliver earlier, then great news... whatever reason is that they are dragging their feet must be a good one. They are lucky the market isn't saturated with competition at this point or I'm sure they'd be loosing pre-orders.

I would have been happy with the unit as-is based on my experience a month ago. I think we all expect some issues out of the gate.

it is what it is.

Carlos, please post reviews to keep us going...
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Carlos, please post reviews to keep us going...
          To borrow a few Short Circuit phrases... "Malfunction. Need input." "More input. More input." "Input! Input!" :B
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

I called several dealer in California and none of them have received or shipped the SSP-800 a lot of preorders are being canceled so I am told since this is taking so long!!

I heard from one dealer that the SSP-800 will ship with the new codec integrated which might explain why it is taking so long that would be great news! RebelMan can you confirm?

I think Cedia it is which is fine by me :T
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou

I heard from one dealer that the SSP-800 will ship with the new codec integrated which might explain why it is taking so long that would be great news! RebelMan can you confirm?
              I wouldn't have your hopes up on this.

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                • Apr 2008

New SSP-800 processor

Hello to all -
                I this time I have not had time to installed it, being so busy at work. I thought i was going to take couple of days off but it was impossible. Anyways the SSP-800 looks beautiful! My dealer said that my 800 came with the latest software update, and one will come up till 3 to 4 weeks from know.
                Rebelman - check your emails I did sent you a PDF file containing the SSP-800 owner's Manual for your review. Maybe you can distributed to Sikoniko and :T whom ever wanted. I will keep posting every other day when I get time. At this time all I can say is I'm sooo happy with my new toy! I sincerely hope Classe start shipping so everyone get theirs. Hasta la vista my fellow classe and B&W friends!
                Carlos http://www.htguide.com/forum/newrepl...te=1&p=410767#

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by wer4ccsn
                  Rebelman - check your emails I did sent you a PDF file containing the SSP-800 owner's Manual for your review. Maybe you can distributed to ....
                  Yes please if you can post it or email it that would be great!!

Comment

• Oddiophile
                    • Jul 2008

I'm guessing this is what you are referring to though?
                    Hi,

I posted this review here because there has been a lot of discussion comparing these two processors. I have found the discussion quite useful.

The review of the Denon was posted here in that context.

Yes, I was referring to that passage in the review. I noted it in particular because most of us on this thread would appear to be primarily interested in the sound as opposed to the video. Whether the reviewer is correct in his assessment is another question.

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Z Man
                      First off if he had to post it, like you said, it should have been on the Denon thread.

And while the AVREV. reviewer is entitled to his opinion, I totally disagree with his assessment. I know that I am loving mine.

And I agree, let's please keep this thread focused on the SSP-800.

Seth
                      Z-Man,

As I mentioned in another post, I put up the review of the Denon for information and comparison purposes.

I own and have owned Denon gear and I own the classic Classe and B&W amp/speaker pairing. I have read your review (well done!) on the Denon thread and given my positive experience with Denon I am far more inclined to defer to your experience. I am also quite certain you have a superb processor that meets your needs exceptionally well.

Hopefully, you will be able to audition the Classe SSP-800 sometime in the near future and give us a comparison. Such a comparison would be quite instructive and very useful and would be much appreciated.

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Hello to all -
                        My dealer said that my 800 came with the latest software update, and one will come up till 3 to 4 weeks from know.
                        http://www.htguide.com/forum/newrepl...te=1&p=410767#
                        based on that information, it sounds to me that they have no intention of releasing it for another 3 to 4 weeks.

as a customer, that is quite frustrating, as I feel they are knowingly stringing us along.

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Information from the manual:

Since Carlos is gracious enough to pass along the manual, we might as well start discussing points of interest while we wait:

P48
                          Touch the Subs button to confi gure the auxiliary channels as additional
                          subwoofers. Touch the Mono2 or Mono3 buttons to put two or three mono
                          subwoofers in your sound system. In this confi guration all subwoofers are
                          receiving identical signals. Touch the Stereo LR or Stereo LCR buttons to
                          make the subwoofers stereo Left and Right channels, or stereo Left, Centre,
                          and Right channels, respectively. To avoid inundating the room with bass by
                          adding a second subwoofer (or third), this does not simply double or triple the
                          bass energy in the room. Th e bass energy is properly distributed among the
                          subwoofers defi ned in the system.
                          Now that I have dual subs, I found this part interesting. I don't plan to use subs in 2 channel, only for movies, so I am wondering whether it makes more sense to use Mono or Stereo? Without having any ways to test, does anyone have any comments on these options?

P44
                          Th e Confi guration Setup menu allows you to defi ne up to six diff erent
                          speaker confi gurations.
                          I never found use of the multiple configurations. At this time, I might use 2. I wonder why they found it worthwhile to add the additional configurations...

I don't believe the 800 will ship with the new DSP, based on the information in the manual.

First reference: (7)
                          upgradable DSP A Texas Instruments DSP with double-precision 64-bit architecture processes all
                          audio data. Floating point capability insures the most accurate results possible.
                          All bass management fi lters, gains, and parametric fi lters benefi t from the added
                          precision. Th e DSP and critical support circuitry occupy a replaceable module
                          for precision upgrading when necessary.

On Page 32, there is a listing of "Mode Selections" and DDTHD, DD+, nor DTSHDMA is listed. There is reference to these new codecs starting on page 29, but I believe they are merely there as a definition of terms.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Information from the manual:On Page 32, there is a listing of "Mode Selections" and DDTHD, DD+, nor DTSHDMA is listed. There is reference to these new codecs starting on page 29, but I believe they are merely there as a definition of terms.
                            Can we get the manual on the site it is not on Classé website yet?

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                              • Apr 2008

New Classe SSP-800 Processor

Hello to all –
                              Finally, I finished installing and setting up the SSP-800 in my audio rack with the rest of my components. I have B&W 703 speakers, B&W HTM7 Centre Speaker, REL T1 Sub, Classe CA-5200 power amplifier, Rotel RT-1084 HD Radio, Rotel RCC-1055 CD Player, B&W speaker walls that I don’t recall their name, PS3 with the latest firmware update and of course my new and beautiful Classe SSP-800 Preamp/Processor. Before the Ca-5200 and SSP-800, I had the Rotel RSP-1069 Processor and Rotel RMB-1075 Amplifier.
                              With the new CA-5200 (2 weeks old) and SSP-800 I can hear the 703’s singing beautiful, of course I wish I can have the 802D’s speakers but that is a different story. When I had the Rotel RSP-1069 processor and RMB-1075 amplifier the sound that were coming from the 703’s, were very compressed with a small soundstage, my hears were bothering after listening for a little bit and I was feeling like I had no desire to listen to music at all!, now with these changes, I can hear the smallest detail, and the soundstage filling up my small living room is unbelievable! In addition, the clarity and sound coming from my speakers is sooo amazing! I am very glad I am upgrading to Classe gear. I think for the budget Rotel gear is great and I recommend strongly to who ever wants to start building an HT setup, to go ahead and buy Rotel. The upgradeability virus hit my wallet; I am so broke... but happy! What can I say, life is beautiful! Last night and with a lot of pleasure I listened to some of CD’s O that I own, some of this are Diana Krall (I have almost all of hers), Stacey Kent she is one of my favorites, her voice coming from my 703’s is amazing! Another is Eva Cassidy – “Live at Blues Alley” beautiful cd, Tory Amos, I can listen to her all day now!, Steve Ray Vaughn – “Greatest Hits”, another cd that can be sound amazing in the SSP-800. I have never experience what I am going through right now and I like it very much. I am so glad that I found this Classe forum and educating myself throughout ALL OF YOU! and I thank you for that! Sincerely you guys are amazing! I have been reading this Classe Forum for about 8 months know and its fun, some time this forum gets scary with some arguments but at the end, it is all good!
                              When I was trying to see a video display, a horizontal Yellow color bar came up on the small display. I tried to call Classe when I arrived to work this morning with no luck, I will try this afternoon. Other than that everything when good, just that I spend almost all night troubleshooting the configuration and hardware setup, this is because my lack of knowledge on Classe. My wife got all mad because I have been spending more time since I got my “New Baby” (for the last 3 days I think). She toll me that I should marry the SSP-800 now that I spend more time with it. Well.. I replied “YES” and she got more upset! This morning she did not even look at me! Oh well, I guess no homemade dinner tonight! She will get over it. I will take her to Mimi’s café this Sunday after church and she will be happy again!
                              Does anybody know how to setup the Function Keys (F1 to F4) on the remote control?
                              The way I set up my components on the SSP-800 I believe is this:
                              Source # 1 - Cable Box (HDMI#1) Input
                              Source # 2 - HDTV (HDMI#2) Output
                              Source # 3 - PS3 (HDMI#2) Input
                              Source # 4 - CD player (Coaxial#1) Input
                              Source # 5 - HD Radio (Optical#1) Input
                              It is possible to do this:
                              1) By pressing the F1 on the remote control to turn on (out of standby mode) the CA-5200, SSP-800 and HDTV at once?
                              2) By pressing the F2 on the remote control to turn on the HD radio (out of standby mode) and turn off the audio NOT video on the HDTV?
                              3) By pressing the F3 on the remote control to turn on the CD player (out of standby mode) and putting on standby the HD Radio?
                              4) By pressing another key to turn off (standby) everything?
                              5) By pressing another key to put on standby the CD player or the HD Radio whatever you are listening, and turn on the audio on the HDTV? Of course assuming that you have the CA-5200 and the SSP-800 on. In addition, the 12v trigger I have it setup this way but I don’t like it because when I pressed on the standby button it turn on everything.
                              1) CA-5200 In (in/out) to SSP-800 Out (out/out)
                              2) SSP-800 Out to Rotel RT-1084 HD Radio In (in/out)
                              3) Rotel RT-1084 Out to Rotel RCC-1055 In (in)
                              Last night I unplugged the 12v trigger from the CA-5200 because it keep shutting down and restarting by itself every eight and twelve minutes, I do not know why, maybe I did something to the setup or configuration. However, I unplugged the 12-v trigger from the CA-5200, so before I went to bed I hit the standby button on the Classé remote control and of course, everything was turn off (Standby mode) but not the CA-5200, so I pressed the standby button manually. Is anybody out there can help me set this up? I am a newbie, if you want to help me; I thank you, and please be detailed and gentle. Here is my email address (wer4ccsn@mac.com) in case someone wants to contact me or sent me a pm. That is all for know and I apologies for the long post. Thank you all for your great support and help throughout this forum.
                              I know I said this again but “THE SOUND COMING FROM THE CLASSE SSP- 800 IS OUT OF THIS WORLD!
                              Best wishes
                              Carlos :T

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Hello to all – THE SOUND COMING FROM THE CLASSE SSP- 800 IS OUT OF THIS WORLD! Best wishes Carlos :T
                                Carlos congratulations, I can't wait to test the SSP-800 do you have an SACD player to test SACD with it?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Hello to all –
                                  When I was trying to see a video display, a horizontal Yellow color bar came up on the small display.
                                  This bar is used to indicate test code. it is removed when it is updated to final.

Also, hook up your 5200 via CANBUS with a CAT5 cable.

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                    • Mar 2006

If your 5200 is shutting down itself every 12 minutes or so then there is something wrong. It seems to be getting control signal to shut down from somewhere?

As Sikoniko said, use a cat5 cable and enable CANBUS, a much more elegant solution and this is what CANBUS was designed for.

As for the function keys, get yourself a universal remote, a much better and more robust implementation, then you only have to worry about always using one remore versus the five you are using now.

Oh, BTW, congratulations on your new arrival.

SKZ

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

I suggest Logitech Harmony One amazing with one button named "Cinema" on my remote it lowers the screen, fire-up the projector, the blu ray player, the pre/pro and the amps.

Also you might have a short somewhere if your CA-5200 shut's off that often

Comment

• Z Man
                                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Oddiophile
                                        Z-Man,

As I mentioned in another post, I put up the review of the Denon for information and comparison purposes.

I own and have owned Denon gear and I own the classic Classe and B&W amp/speaker pairing. I have read your review (well done!) on the Denon thread and given my positive experience with Denon I am far more inclined to defer to your experience. I am also quite certain you have a superb processor that meets your needs exceptionally well.

Hopefully, you will be able to audition the Classe SSP-800 sometime in the near future and give us a comparison. Such a comparison would be quite instructive and very useful and would be much appreciated.

Jim
                                        Ok I understand what your intent was. But to be fair the avrev review is only one of three pro reviews that found the AVP to be lacking in the music dept.

And thank you for the kind words on my review. Yes I am extremely happy! :B Yes if the opportunity presents itself I would love to give the SSP-800 a listen. Even having not heard it yet, I know the SSP-800 will be a sonic stunner. Had it offered everything I needed and wanted in a pre/pro, I may have been waiting on getting one myself.

ddcombs (darrell) is going to get the opportunity to listen to the SSP-800 and compare it to his AVP. Will be interesting to see what he thinks.

Seth
                                        My Martin Logan Theater
                                        My DVD Collection
                                        My CD Collection

Comment

• Z Man
                                          • Jan 2008

Hello to all –
                                          Finally, I finished installing and setting up the SSP-800 in my audio rack with the rest of my components. I have B&W 703 speakers, B&W HTM7 Centre Speaker, REL T1 Sub, Classe CA-5200 power amplifier, Rotel RT-1084 HD Radio, Rotel RCC-1055 CD Player, B&W speaker walls that I don’t recall their name, PS3 with the latest firmware update and of course my new and beautiful Classe SSP-800 Preamp/Processor. Before the Ca-5200 and SSP-800, I had the Rotel RSP-1069 Processor and Rotel RMB-1075 Amplifier.
                                          With the new CA-5200 (2 weeks old) and SSP-800 I can hear the 703’s singing beautiful, of course I wish I can have the 802D’s speakers but that is a different story. When I had the Rotel RSP-1069 processor and RMB-1075 amplifier the sound that were coming from the 703’s, were very compressed with a small soundstage, my hears were bothering after listening for a little bit and I was feeling like I had no desire to listen to music at all!, now with these changes, I can hear the smallest detail, and the soundstage filling up my small living room is unbelievable! In addition, the clarity and sound coming from my speakers is sooo amazing! I am very glad I am upgrading to Classe gear. I think for the budget Rotel gear is great and I recommend strongly to who ever wants to start building an HT setup, to go ahead and buy Rotel. The upgradeability virus hit my wallet; I am so broke... but happy! What can I say, life is beautiful! Last night and with a lot of pleasure I listened to some of CD’s O that I own, some of this are Diana Krall (I have almost all of hers), Stacey Kent she is one of my favorites, her voice coming from my 703’s is amazing! Another is Eva Cassidy – “Live at Blues Alley” beautiful cd, Tory Amos, I can listen to her all day now!, Steve Ray Vaughn – “Greatest Hits”, another cd that can be sound amazing in the SSP-800. I have never experience what I am going through right now and I like it very much. I am so glad that I found this Classe forum and educating myself throughout ALL OF YOU! and I thank you for that! Sincerely you guys are amazing! I have been reading this Classe Forum for about 8 months know and its fun, some time this forum gets scary with some arguments but at the end, it is all good!
                                          When I was trying to see a video display, a horizontal Yellow color bar came up on the small display. I tried to call Classe when I arrived to work this morning with no luck, I will try this afternoon. Other than that everything when good, just that I spend almost all night troubleshooting the configuration and hardware setup, this is because my lack of knowledge on Classe. My wife got all mad because I have been spending more time since I got my “New Baby” (for the last 3 days I think). She toll me that I should marry the SSP-800 now that I spend more time with it. Well.. I replied “YES” and she got more upset! This morning she did not even look at me! Oh well, I guess no homemade dinner tonight! She will get over it. I will take her to Mimi’s café this Sunday after church and she will be happy again!
                                          Does anybody know how to setup the Function Keys (F1 to F4) on the remote control?
                                          The way I set up my components on the SSP-800 I believe is this:
                                          Source # 1 - Cable Box (HDMI#1) Input
                                          Source # 2 - HDTV (HDMI#2) Output
                                          Source # 3 - PS3 (HDMI#2) Input
                                          Source # 4 - CD player (Coaxial#1) Input
                                          Source # 5 - HD Radio (Optical#1) Input
                                          It is possible to do this:
                                          1) By pressing the F1 on the remote control to turn on (out of standby mode) the CA-5200, SSP-800 and HDTV at once?
                                          2) By pressing the F2 on the remote control to turn on the HD radio (out of standby mode) and turn off the audio NOT video on the HDTV?
                                          3) By pressing the F3 on the remote control to turn on the CD player (out of standby mode) and putting on standby the HD Radio?
                                          4) By pressing another key to turn off (standby) everything?
                                          5) By pressing another key to put on standby the CD player or the HD Radio whatever you are listening, and turn on the audio on the HDTV? Of course assuming that you have the CA-5200 and the SSP-800 on. In addition, the 12v trigger I have it setup this way but I don’t like it because when I pressed on the standby button it turn on everything.
                                          1) CA-5200 In (in/out) to SSP-800 Out (out/out)
                                          2) SSP-800 Out to Rotel RT-1084 HD Radio In (in/out)
                                          3) Rotel RT-1084 Out to Rotel RCC-1055 In (in)
                                          Last night I unplugged the 12v trigger from the CA-5200 because it keep shutting down and restarting by itself every eight and twelve minutes, I do not know why, maybe I did something to the setup or configuration. However, I unplugged the 12-v trigger from the CA-5200, so before I went to bed I hit the standby button on the Classé remote control and of course, everything was turn off (Standby mode) but not the CA-5200, so I pressed the standby button manually. Is anybody out there can help me set this up? I am a newbie, if you want to help me; I thank you, and please be detailed and gentle. Here is my email address (wer4ccsn@mac.com) in case someone wants to contact me or sent me a pm. That is all for know and I apologies for the long post. Thank you all for your great support and help throughout this forum.
                                          I know I said this again but “THE SOUND COMING FROM THE CLASSE SSP- 800 IS OUT OF THIS WORLD!
                                          Best wishes
                                          Carlos :T
                                          Congrats on your new SSP-800!! :T That is awesome! Sounds like you're loving it!

Thanks for sharing the very cool news.

Seth
                                          My Martin Logan Theater
                                          My DVD Collection
                                          My CD Collection

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                            • Apr 2008

New SSp-800 Processor

Hello -
                                            Thanks guys for the nice feedback already. I just got home from work and got an email from Classe with a Zip file to to download. I believe is for the Yellow bar in the display, which is the only issue on the SSP-800. The reason the CA-5200 were keep shutting down and restarting was due to the 12-v trigger that was attached to it with the SSP-800 so what I did was I unplugged it from the Ca-5200 and that corrected the problem, but know I have to press the standby button to turn it on. I'll tried to figure out how to get work, I try to buy a CAT5 cable to connect them like Sikoniko said. Thank you wettou, skuzzyb and sikoniko for your kind words. Right now I'm listening to Keb Mo and he is fantastic! I don't have a SACD player, I'll put a cd through the PS3 to see how it handles the SP-800. I'll post later to keep you updated. Thanks my friends
                                            Sincerely, Carlos :lol:
                                            Sikoniko - how do I connect the CAT5 cable? in which port? Thanks
                                            Rebelman - Check your emails!

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                              • Apr 2008

New SSP-800 Processor!

Z man - Thank you for your nice comment. I do appreciated!
                                              Carlos

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                • Apr 2008

New SSP-800 Processor!

Wettou -
                                                I put a brand new CD Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (remastered Edition) in the PS3 and the sound coming out in 2 Channel Stereo is very full, detail and big soundstage. in the setup menu, audio inputs the Bypass bar is grey out I remember that by mistake (did it yesterday) i did press the bar and now I can't put it back like it was before. How do I do it, do you know how? thanks
                                                carlos

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Wettou - I put a brand new CD Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (remastered Edition) in the PS3 and the sound coming out in 2 Channel Stereo is very full, detail and big soundstage. in the setup menu, audio inputs the Bypass bar is grey out I remember that by mistake (did it yesterday) i did press the bar and now I can't put it back like it was before. How do I do it, do you know how? thanks carlos
                                                  Carlos, Is it the SACD from Pink Floyd? The PS3 60GB and 80GB will play multichannel SACD through HDMi. Are you talking about the SSP-800 menu?

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                    • Apr 2008

New SSP-800 Processor!

wettou -
                                                    Yes, It's the SSP-800 I'm talking about (it's the only one I have) and the Pink Floyd CD is SACD

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                      • Mar 2006

Carlos, the SSP has a CANBUS out port in the rear, connect the cat5 cable from there to the 5200 CANBUS in. You should also have a CANBUS terminator plug that goes in the CANBUS out of the 5200, you should put that in as well. In the menu , I think the sequence is Menu - Status - More (not sure if it is the same on the 800 but that is the sequence on the 600) is the CANBUS option that allows you to trigger the 5200 at startup from the SSP. Here is the link to the CANBUS user guide on Classe's website, note this does not include the 800 as yet but I cannot imagine it would be much different.

skz

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                        • Apr 2008

New SSP-800 Processor!

Skuzzyb -
                                                        Thank you very much! it works perfect! I just installed the CAT5 cable on both and turn them on and bingo! that was it, I didn't have to go to the setup menu. Now when I press the standby button on the classe remote to turn off/standby, only the Classe gear (SSP-800/CA-5200) goes in standby mode and the rotel gear turn on, both at the same time (the Rotel RT-1084 HD radio and Rotel RCC-1055 CD Player). Well I have the 12v trigger that goes from the SSP-800 out to the RT-1084 HD radio In and from the HD radio Out to the RCC-1055 CD Player In, I think that is how it works, but I'm not sure, I'm not very wise doing things like that. Maybe is that what is causing this? I want the Rotel gear stay in standby mode, while the Classe gear and HDTV are on, unless i want to hear music from the radio or listen to a cd by pressing another button or whatever else that I can turn a single rotel gear on while put the HDTV audio in mute mode or something like that. Thank you for helping me skuzzyb, I appreciated it. :cry:
                                                        Sincerely,
                                                        Carlos

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Rebelman - Check your emails!
                                                          wer4ccsn, nice job on the initial review! :T Keep the comments comming. You have about 300 hours of break in time to work through and I want to hear all about it.

Check your email for my replies.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Now when I press the standby button on the classe remote to turn off/standby, only the Classe gear (SSP-800/CA-5200) goes in standby mode and the rotel gear turn on, both at the same time (the Rotel RT-1084 HD radio and Rotel RCC-1055 CD Player). Well I have the 12v trigger that goes from the SSP-800 out to the RT-1084 HD radio In and from the HD radio Out to the RCC-1055 CD Player In, I think that is how it works, but I'm not sure, I'm not very wise doing things like that. Maybe is that what is causing this? I want the Rotel gear stay in standby mode, while the Classe gear and HDTV are on, unless i want to hear music from the radio or listen to a cd by pressing another button or whatever else that I can turn a single rotel gear on while put the HDTV audio in mute mode or something like that.
                                                            The triggers signal a device to turn on and/or off when the controlling unit is turned on and/or off. If you want to enable the function to turn the Rotel equipment on and off independently you should assign the trigger to a funcition key on the remote. Then you can configure the function key (F1 to F4) to toggle the device on and off as needed. I believe what you need to do is as follows...

Let assume you are using Trigger 1.

1.) Go to system setup > trigger setup > trigger 1
                                                            2.) Select inverse logic (you have this enabled, you want it disabled)
                                                            3.) Select event -> input X (of your RT-1084 HD)

1.) Go to system setup > remote Fkeys
                                                            2.) Select function key F1 (or any other F key you prefer)
                                                            3.) Select trigger 1 - toggle
                                                            Last edited by RebelMan; 25 July 2008, 05:07 Friday.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

I just had a pleasant and informative conversation with Classé regarding the status of the SSP-800. The aim of this message is to squash any and all rumors about the processor’s availability. READ VERY CAREFULLY!

First and foremost, DO NOT -- I REPEAT -- DO NOT expect the dual processor HBR board until next year. It’s not going to happen until then.

Unless something catastrophic occurs, the SSP-800 WILL SHIP prior to CEDIA this year.

The SSP-800 is currently undergoing a pre-release beta testing phase that started a few weeks ago. NONE of the SSP’s to date have been released to any dealer or their customers that are not apart of this program. There have literally been only a handful of these units issued. Unfortunately, my dealer was not among them so I am unable to participate in this process (for those that maybe wondering).

The hardware is ROCK SOLID, low-level control software too. Only the stability of the high-level control software remains and so far the feedback from these test cases has been extremely positive with one minor anomaly having been reported. The software development team is working very rigorously with the support team to expeditiously solidify the code.

Classé is readying ALL domestic AND international back orders during this software qualification time to meet the overwhelming demands in as timely a fashion as possible. Once the final code has been verified golden (and they are very, very close), each prebuilt unit will be flashed and quality checked. Classé WILL NOT short circuit the process! EVERY SINGLE UNIT will be scrutinized inside and out before leaving the warehouse. This is an involved process but it must be done to ensure the buyer gets a premium built product through and through.

(Side note: I was told warehouse workers that have passed through the listing room containing the SSP-800 are just as eager as to get their hands on one as the rest of us are. They have even offered to buy the floor model on the spot it was that good to them, a first for the company.)

Comment

• merlinus
                                                                • Feb 2008

Thanks for the update. I would not expect anything less from Classe' but the utmost attention and commitment to excellence.

Well worth the wait....
                                                                merlin

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                  First and foremost, DO NOT -- I REPEAT -- DO NOT expect the dual processor HBR board until next year. :gossip:It’s not going to happen until then.
                                                                  Thanks RebelMan, Oh well that's very unfortunate but hey by then Classé will have full working units and be able to fix any bugs that might come up once the SSP-800 is being released in the market!!

The demand is that high he!! I am glad to see that $8K for a pre/pro is flying off the shelves, who say the US economy has problems!!

Comment

• neil w
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

i spoke to a uk dealer the other day regarding some cam 400's , and also enquired about a ssp 800 and was told late aug/sep and about £8000 :E

neil

Comment

• rompower
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2008

neil_w let me know if u want one
                                                                      8000 cdn here
                                                                      ~5600£ I think, plus shipping indeed eheh

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                                        • May 2007

I emailed my local Classe/B&W dealer and got a response back this morning pretty much confirming Rebel's post about a few units out for beta. He also said his store won't have any for demo for at least 60 days. And they've already sold five.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005

Regarding pre-sold SSP-800's
                                                                          From my conversations with Classe' dealers around the country - all have at least one pre-sold (that I've spoken to) some have a few pre-sold and a few have as many as "Dozens" pre-sold....

my point:
                                                                          If you're waiting to hear one or play with one... it'll probably be well after the first batch ships
                                                                          If I'm a dealer and I get (say qty. 4) four SSP-800's my temptation to open and display one will be less than enthusiastic
                                                                          as I will very likely be able to sell it (all of my first delivery) within a few days or so...

8O

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                                                                            Regarding pre-sold SSP-800's
                                                                            From my conversations with Classe' dealers around the country - all have at least one pre-sold (that I've spoken to) some have a few pre-sold and a few have as many as "Dozens" pre-sold....

my point:
                                                                            If you're waiting to hear one or play with one... it'll probably be well after the first batch ships
                                                                            If I'm a dealer and I get (say qty. 4) four SSP-800's my temptation to open and display one will be less than enthusiastic
                                                                            as I will very likely be able to sell it (all of my first delivery) within a few days or so...
                                                                            This is true. Last I heard more than 220 were pre-sold (about half here and half abroad) and that was almost two months ago. Classé is desperate to start shipping. I suspect once the code is green lighted we'll start seeing a steady flow enter the market. It sounded like they want to not only fulfill all back orders as soon as possible but to also have sufficient supply for immediate purchase. They are going to be very busy these next few months. I've been down for four months going on five in anticipation. The light at the end of tunnel is finally visible.

Comment

• style
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2006
                                                                              • 1562

hy Rebelman,

Classè not thought to have such a great success with the new ssp800 ...
                                                                              this is certainly a problem for them.

Many people purchase the ssp800 a pig in a poke.
                                                                              Without listening as it sounds.
                                                                              You have not ever bought an appliance box closed?

Indeed, many people also pays before the ssp to have the fist exemplar available!

Omar

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

SSP-800 buy sight unheard!!!

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                This is true. Last I heard more than 220 were pre-sold (about half here and half abroad) and that was almost two months ago. Classé is desperate to start shipping.
                                                                                This is unbelievable buying a pre/pro with out auditioning it first, I could understand if this was a couple hundred dollars but at $8,000 that is what I call true believers!!;x(

I remember at one point in time I wanted to buy Triangle speakers because I had heard great reviews. So I went to a dealer in Lille, France who had both Triangle speakers and a pair of 802D set up in the same room after two hours of listening (this was a Monday afternoon and I was the only customer that day so it seemed) I realized how much better the 802D were!! 802D won hands down without contests and I am sure glad I spent the time to listen. So when the SSP-800 is on Demo at my dealer I will take an afternoon off and go listen for a few hours on 80D and see if it is worth the purchase!!:T

Comment

• style
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 1562

wettou: This is unbelievable buying a pre/pro with out auditioning it first.

yes is unbelievable but is true!!
                                                                                  If I buy a B&&W speaker I was what they give me! The same for a Classè and so much Classè fans dont have any doubt.

Money in hand to get as soon as possible this "super pre" connected to the connected to chain at home!

"Poelple are strenge" always actuall

omar

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 2299

I disagree with the generalization that people are buying the 800 unauditioned.

this might be true for people who are unfamiliar with the classe sound or say upgrading from mc to classe, but the 800 still sounds like a classe product. for anyone familiar with that sound it won't be a surprise.

let me ask this. if you could buy the ssp600 with hdmi inputs supporting audio video and outputs, would you? if not, why not? what would you buy instead?

if you like the ssp300 or 600 or the cp500 or 700 you will like the ssp800.

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2008
                                                                                      • 50

Classe SSP-800

wettou -
                                                                                      At least I 'm one of them. My first Classe purchased was the CA-5200 about 3 weeks ago and now the SSP-800 without auditioning it. Next will be the HTM2D and a pair of 802D's. So far I'm very happy and satisfied with my purchases, like i stated before I'm so broke, but happy. I have been reading this forum for quite some time and learning from all of you, that is why!
                                                                                      So far the SSP-800 is behaving very well, no hiccups or problems of any kind. The sound is getting better every day, yesterday i was listening to Neil Young, Sara K, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sonora Carruseles (salsa), Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, I listened for half the day and never got tired, the SSP-800 had me taken the dust out off these CD's.
                                                                                      Rebelman, Thank you for your nice comment about my first review of the SSP-800 and thanks for your help on the trigger and Fkeys, i still have some small issues. by the way can I sent some pics to you so you can post them here? Thanks.
                                                                                      yesterday, I tried to download the code to the SSP-800 regarding the yellow bar across the display with no luck. RS232 going to the SSP-800, and USB going to the Power Mac, and noting happened. I sent an email to Tom from Classe and I'm waiting from his reply. I'm not worry to much about it, I will get it to work some how. As long as the SSP-800 provides me with great sound everything else does not not matter.
                                                                                      Today I watched couple of Blu-ray movies "Live Free or Die Hard" and "Enchanted" good movie (I have a 4 years old daughter) the sound is unbelievable coming from my 703's, now can you imagine the same sound coming from the 800 series! and from my humble opinion I think the sound coming from ANY speaker would be awesome!
                                                                                      That's it for now, again thanks everyone for your nice comments and help.
                                                                                      Sincerely,
                                                                                      Carlos
                                                                                      Oh, I almost forgot to ask you a question, How can I hear the new codec sound.e.g. DTS HD MA from the SSP-800? I have a PS3 with the latest software update. Do I need to go into the PS3 setup menu? or go through the SSP-800 setup menu? Please advise, Thanks again!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2007
                                                                                        • 1532

One thing you have to do with Classe gear when doing a firmware update is power the unit off with the switch at the rear of the unit (don't leave it in stand by). Open the loader program and then try to connect. Once you try to connect then power the Classe unit up.

I don't know if that is what you are doing already, but the first time I needed to load firmware to a piece of Classe I left in standby and powered it up from there. After a phone call to my rep he set me straight.

Eric

Comment

• rompower
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2008
                                                                                          • 241

Wer,
                                                                                          about the new codec Dts-HD, you only need to connect your hdmi cable to your SSP-800 (lucky bas.... )
                                                                                          Ps3 is decoding new hi-def codec on-board

you can take a look on this webpage, first on the list for the ps3
                                                                                          Enjoy

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 3139

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                                            This is unbelievable buying a pre/pro with out auditioning it first, I could understand if this was a couple hundred dollars but at $8,000 that is what I call true believers!!;x(

So when the SSP-800 is on Demo at my dealer I will take an afternoon off and go listen for a few hours on 80D and see if it is worth the purchase!!:T
                                                                                            To reiterate what sikoniko stated let's not make gross generalizations about the personal buying habits of others. First, there are dealers, albeit limited, with the unit in house that can demo to the general public. Second, most people that have a pre-order in are people that have a familiarity with Classe's house sound. This product is not something "new" it is something "better". If you like what Classe' has done with the Delta Series in the past (and you obviously do) then you will absolutely love the SSP-800.

Early adopters are blazing the trails for the rest to follow. There will be people that will purchase a hard to get item for the pleasure of owning it first and others that will put a certain amount of trust in an unseen product because they can based on their previous experiences or finances. Truth be told, the trailhead has to start somewhere and with the people willing to pioneer the path. It happened with early adopters of the Integra DTC 9.8 and then again with early adopters of the Denon AVP-A1HD (and I bet I could name names). Now it's Classe's turn.

Although, I am not in the position to critique either product specifically, I have been a previous owner of Integra/Onkyo equipment in the past and I know what the Denon house sound is like. I'm sure both brands are better today then they have been in recent memory but an Integra is still most likely an Integra and a Denon is still most likely a Denon. But if after all has been said and done things don't work out as planned or expected then there is always the secondhand market. So what's the big deal really?

Heck, if you study the buying habits and patterns of many enthusiasts you'll see that they rarely hold on to their system for more than a year. Most of them are off chasing the next big thing because it’s new, different or they have a case of FUD. I've been a B&W diehard for decades and a Classe’ loyalist for years but, it didn’t happen over night. They had to earn my trust over the years. So I know what sounds good and I don't need to chase the next big thing just because of marketing pressures and influences that come and go like the wind or because some part of my system is in need of a fresh new look. I have never been inflicted with the contagious disease of Audiophilia Nervosa.

You may talk smack all you want wes or wse or wettou or whatever code name you prefer to go by these days, but my money says you’ll be getting one too. Both the Integra and the Denon have been out for a while now. If they sounded good to you (at all) this would have been a moot point to bring up, don’t you think?
                                                                                            Last edited by RebelMan; 27 July 2008, 22:38 Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"