X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
    Some features are primarily meant only for mediocre systems, which your's isn't. Unless you have a player that cannot decode the new audio formats it makes no sense to wait for the dual-DSP SSP-800, assuming the demo goes well for you. Plan on waiting until next year if you are going to insist on it. Waiting six months for what amounts to nothing more than audio reprimand on your ears is cruel and unusual punishment. 8)
    Thanks RebelMan, If Sony comes out with the BDP-550 soon, then I would agree I won't need to wait until next year if the Classé SSP-800 is music to my ears. I can't wait to demo this in real life
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• jtcseattle
      • Oct 2007

SSP-800 vs. Mark Levinson No 502 Media Console

I just spoke with my sales rep at Definitive Audio in Seattle. He told me that in connection with the demo in Seattle last week, he had an opportunity to do a direct comparison between the SSP-800 and the new Mark Levinson No. 502 Media Console (which costs around $30,000). In his words, it was "no contest." The SSP-800 "beat up" the ML. Makes the wait that much tougher!

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jtcseattle
        I just spoke with my sales rep at Definitive Audio in Seattle. He told me that in connection with the demo in Seattle last week, he had an opportunity to do a direct comparison between the SSP-800 and the new Mark Levinson No. 502 Media Console (which costs around $30,000). In his words, it was "no contest." The SSP-800 "beat up" the ML. Makes the wait that much tougher!
        Is there any way you could get him to qualify that statement? While I am a big supporter of the Classe product, I didn't see where anyone could "definitively" say one was better than the other based on the environment of their shop.

I was there Tuesday when they were setting up and I know that the two processors were never in the same room hooked up to the same amps/speakers anytime between tuesday-thursday. Perhaps they did some listening on friday or during the day Wed/ Thurs that you could garner further information on?

I will say that the people I spoke to were more impressed with the b&w room than the other rooms, but since every variable was different, it is too difficult to make a judgement on which processor "beat-up" the other. I will also go so far as to say that no room was without flaws.

I'm not trying to be overly critical on your feedback, but I think it is import to make a distinction to understand how that conclusion was made.

To be honest with you (and everyone else), at the cost of the Wilson and Meridian rooms, I expected to be more impressed than I was. Then again, different people have different priorities, right? IMO, After hearing this Mark Levinson / Wilson room, I'm wondering if those products are not more of a status symbol than they are truely for people who appreciate music. I found it highly amusing that they had a Classe Omega amp (hidden away) hooked up to 'Thors Hammer' though, even though they were presenting Mark Levinson.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jtcseattle
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
          Is there any way you could get him to qualify that statement? While I am a big supporter of the Classe product, I didn't see where anyone could "definitively" say one was better than the other based on the environment of their shop.

I was there Tuesday when they were setting up and I know that the two processors were never in the same room hooked up to the same amps/speakers anytime between tuesday-thursday. Perhaps they did some listening on friday or during the day Wed/ Thurs that you could garner further information on?

I will say that the people I spoke to were more impressed with the b&w room than the other rooms, but since every variable was different, it is too difficult to make a judgement on which processor "beat-up" the other. I will also go so far as to say that no room was without flaws.

I'm not trying to be overly critical on your feedback, but I think it is import to make a distinction to understand how that conclusion was made.

To be honest with you (and everyone else), at the cost of the Wilson and Meridian rooms, I expected to be more impressed than I was. Then again, different people have different priorities, right? IMO, After hearing this Mark Levinson / Wilson room, I'm wondering if those products are not more of a status symbol than they are truely for people who appreciate music. I found it highly amusing that they had a Classe Omega amp (hidden away) hooked up to 'Thors Hammer' though, even though they were presenting Mark Levinson.
          According to my sales rep, he compared them in the same room with the same speakers. He indicated that the SSP-800 beat the ML is "every audible category."

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

awesome news. I wonder if they hooked the ML up to the B&W stuff, or the Classe to the Wilson stuff...

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

SSP-800 to launch in July

SSP-800 to launch in July
              The SSP-800 is coming soon—we promise!

Excitement about the impending release of the SSP-800 exceeds all our previous product launches. For those of you with SSP-800s on order, we appreciate your patience and assure you that we want to commence shipments as badly as you want to receive them. Although we will not meet our goal of delivering units in June, we do expect to begin shipments in July*.

The SSP-800 is an advanced design and we believe it will be the finest surround sound processor/preamplifier ever offered. Please understand that the extra time taken before release is to ensure that these high expectations are met.

We trust that your first experience of the SSP-800 will prove the wisdom of this conservative approach.

Stay tuned to the website for further announcements regarding SSP-800 availability and thanks again for your patience and support of Classé.

Regards,
              David Nauber
              Executive VP
              Classé

*Shipments to overseas markets will begin at the same time as shipments within North America. For our overseas customers, please be aware that the additional distribution channels may add up to four to six weeks to delivery.

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

I was at my local Classe/B&W dealer today dropping off an amp for Classe service. We discussed a broad array of topics related to upcoming pre-pros and Blu-Ray players. They also sell Marantz. Not trying to hijack this thread, but it's good to know what else is hitting the marketplace. This one should be interesting and has all of the bells and whistles . . . and then some. Great price @ an intro of $2,599.99. Will be interesting to hear how it sounds by comparison, as well as in comparison with the Denon pre-pro. Supposedly, it was originally slated to have a retail of $4,999.99. Here's a link:

Shop the Marantz™ official site. Founded by legendary acoustic expert Saul Marantz. Discover exceptional AV with our receivers, amplifiers, & more.

Supposedly, it's tough for the top end manufacturers like Classe, to justify the costs associated with getting involved with many of the technologies like Blu-Ray, true color, room equalization, music servers, etc., etc., as their return on investment would be difficult to justify with the limited number of units sold. If true, the major Japanese manufacturers will continue to be on the leading edge of these technologies.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                  Supposedly, it's tough for the top end manufacturers like Classe, to justify the costs associated with getting involved with many of the technologies like Blu-Ray, true color, room equalization, music servers, etc., etc., as their return on investment would be difficult to justify with the limited number of units sold. If true, the major Japanese manufacturers will continue to be on the leading edge of these technologies.
                  Unfortunately that is excatly right, high end manufacturer rarely invent anything at all except may be for a few. They sometime try to perfect the products and have well designed outer skins

Comment

• rompower
                    • May 2008

[QUOTE=wettou]SSP-800 to launch in July [left] The SSP-800 is coming soon—we promise!

the problem is... we saw this in May... so.. we'll probably see some ssp-800 hits the market in mid-aug or september. Don't want to be negative but well.. It always happens
                    :W

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by rompower
                      The SSP-800 is coming soon—we promise! the problem is... we saw this in May... so.. we'll probably see some ssp-800 hits the market in mid-aug or september. Don't want to be negative but well.. It always happens
                      I agree, I think it will start shipping for Cedia 2008, at this rate they might as well wait for the new DSP including new Codec and save themselves and the customers a headache for the upgrade!

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Ssp800

Hallo,

SSP800 - SWITZERLAND -> the first order for the Europe is already been sold. (yet before arriving)

I called my friend to B & W Switzerland and told me that there are only 2 SSP800 in UK for testing and demo.
                        for the next delivery of ssp800 bisogn wait at least until November ..
                        (equipment arriving in Europe are already a second generation!)

Before leaving the factory (Canada) the SSP800 are tested while the hardware for software
                        that can happen with a type of DVD not playing well as with another model, and with all the options available in ssp800 ..... hey man at work!

I have pay the half fromthe Ssp800 as pre-order but i must wait ;x(

Patience people a lot of patience.
                        Greetings from Switzerland
                        Omar

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by style
                          for the next delivery of ssp800 bisogn wait at least until November .. (equipment arriving in Europe are already a second generation!
                          Do you mean Classé has incorporated the new chip capable of decoding DTS Master Audio as well as DD Tru HD in the SSP-800. That would be great Rebel man care to comment!

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

@wettou,

when the ssp800 will be available in Switzerland will have all the parts ....

first with normal encodings after 3 months approx. comes the software update for encoding
                            ddplus, but aet & co.

each update software is free.

well in switzerland the price from Ssp800 is chf. 13800.- = approx. $ 13400
                            if you have a "good friends" you can have the 10% discount very max!!!
                            normal will be the 5-6%....
                            this price is all in = a seriuos dealer come by you at home and make a setup for you!
                            (this is what I recieve with MY Ssp800 contract)

omar

Comment

• rompower
                              • May 2008

Wettou, I really doubt so (about the new codec thing)
                              If yes... I'm even willing to wait another month ;P Else.. BRING THAT BABY HOME!!!!!!!!!!! eheh

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

ssp800

The SSP800 is ready. if arrive in July or September is always the same machine.

UPDATE is only being done to the processor that allows the new encodings.
                                Classè every type of test before putting on the market the new product (part hardware)
                                seen all the possibilities of the software SSP800 surely must be "adjusted" to work better with the DVD Classè or dvd Marantz!!!

UPDATE each is free and is software - only the first is also hardware DSP but in Europe (second market) already comes with all the "pieces"...

The SSP800 has one for each channel individually adjustable 5-band EQ room correction in the level, slope and In-rate-frequency (Eindsatzfrequenz/Germany)

Bey Omar

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

The SSP800 is ready. if arrive in July or September is always the same machine.
                                  Bey Omar
                                  Bey,

I'm not clear on what you are saying. Are you saying that you heard they are now shipping? Can you clarify please? I have not heard anything to reflect that yet.

Comment

• style
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Feb 2006

Hi,

I just want to say that in the USA SSP 800 will be available first as in Europe and that if arrive in July or September does not change anything.

At the Classè the machines are ready.
                                    Only they need to decide the official exit on the market but all that concerns the hardware is not changed... games are made.

I have the half price to my dealer payed: but the first 5 SSP800 for Europa are finished (people have the total payed!!) the next shipment fron Canada is approx. in Oktober.
                                    Fisrt will be delivered without the new decoding ddplus/dts ma and in a paar month come the update with a extra DSP and software with the new decoding.

this is what the B&W Switzerland say me....
                                    omar

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

first with normal encodings after 3 months approx. comes the software update for encoding
                                      ddplus, but aet & co. each update software is free.omar
                                      It is not just software it is a new chip hardware as well

Comment

• style
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Feb 2006

@wettou

[QUOTE]
                                        Fisrt will be delivered without the new decoding ddplus/dts ma and in a paar month come the update with a extra DSP and software with the new decoding..

is what is have write...
                                        omar

Comment

• style
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2006

Hi,

"
                                          The new HD audio codecs may be decoded inside many Blu-ray (or HD DVD) players and output lossless, bit-forbit
                                          on HDMI as multichannel PCM. A new dual DSP module is being designed specifically to decode these new
                                          codecs inside the SSP-800. When available, it will be offered free of charge to original owners of the SSP-800. "

omar

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

The new HD audio codecs may be decoded inside many Blu-ray players and output lossless, bit-forbit on HDMI as multichannel PCM.
                                            Outside of the PS3 and Denon not to many players yet on the market, but who needs anything else than the PS3!

A new dual DSP module is being designed specifically to decode these new codecs inside the SSP-800. When available, it will be offered free of charge to original owners of the SSP-800. "
                                            Thank you, I had downloaded that brochure already, the question is WHEN or IF the new DSP module become available!!

Yes I am being sarcastic but have been burn before by promises, remember the SSP-900 that was supposed to be released over a year ago

Show me the beef and then we will see who is king of the hill, I hope Classé delivers so I can spend my money wisely

Comment

• rompower
                                              • May 2008

Wettou, "who needs anything else than the PS3"

ME, Audio from Ps3 isn't comparable to denon bluray... So if u'r an audiophile, i'd suggest to demo both

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Wettou, "who needs anything else than the PS3" ME, Audio from Ps3 isn't comparable to denon bluray... So if u'r an audiophile, i'd suggest to demo both
                                                If you use your Blu Ray just as transport and let the processor do the job like the Classé SSP-800 then it doesn't matter which player for Audio, for video now that's an other story but just to be clear Denon use Pansonic for their blu ray!! They rebox pan tech and stick a 4 - 6 times the price on their box

Comment

• rompower
                                                  • May 2008

Since SSP-800 doesn't decode DTS-HD and other stuff like this, it matters =)
                                                  Wettou, have any proof of this?!? denon using pana ...
                                                  I'm talking about the 3800-BDCI...

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Since SSP-800 doesn't decode DTS-HD and other stuff like this, it matters =) Wettou, have any proof of this?!? denon using pana ...
                                                    I'm talking about the 3800-BDCI...
                                                    Yes here you are Denon DVD-3800BDCI Panasonic UniPhier+Realta

DVD-3800BD
                                                    Firmware –
                                                    Video Decoder – Panasonic UniPhier PLUS Realta
                                                    24fps - Yes
                                                    Audio Decoding
                                                    Dolby Digital - Onboard
                                                    DTS - Onboard
                                                    Dolby Digital Plus - Onboard
                                                    DTS – HR - Onboard
                                                    PCM - Onboard
                                                    Dolby True HD – Onboard/Bitstream
                                                    DTS HD Master Audio – Onboard/Bitstream
                                                    Analog Out Channels – 7.1
                                                    HDMI Channels – 7.1
                                                    HDMI Version – 1.3
                                                    Profile – 1.1
                                                    Ethernet - No

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                                                      Two different agendas.
                                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Wettou, "who needs anything else than the PS3"

ME, Audio from Ps3 isn't comparable to denon bluray... So if u'r an audiophile, i'd suggest to demo both
                                                        I'd put the PS3 up against any other Blu-ray player now and in the foreseeable future. :T

Comment

• rompower
                                                          • May 2008

wettou, great then, but well... I tested bluray copies and.. not working... panasonic was able to load them, denon too...

I'll borrow ps3 from a friend of mine once I get the ssp-800 to demo both, denon and ps3..

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

I'd put the PS3 up against any other Blu-ray player now and in the foreseeable future. :T
                                                            Hello RebelMan,

May be the new Sony BDP-S550 might give the PS3 a run for it's money It seems Classé is delayed again, end of July early August, at least that is what I heard!

Comment

• rompower
                                                              • May 2008

Where did you heard this? (early august)

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                Hello RebelMan,

May be the new Sony BDP-S550 might give the PS3 a run for it's money It seems Classé is delayed again, end of July early August, at least that is what I heard!
                                                                Where and when did you get that info?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Where and when did you get that info?
                                                                  My reliable source DN

Comment

• beden1
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

Two different agendas.
                                                                    This is what I've been trying to figure out. To me, it's like the SSP-800 is more like a multi-channel CP-700 pre-amp, and the new units from Denon and Marantz are like what I imagine to be true pre-pros with all of the feature sets of audio and video. In order to get the best of both worlds, I'm thinking you would need to get the SSP-800 (for the better audio if this is the case), and one of these other pre-pros (for all of the video and other audio features), and then not need a CP-700 or CP-500?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

You could say that. More specifically the Classe piece is an SSP whereas the Denon and Marantz are AVPs. But the problem with AVPs is their relatively short shelf life. Look at where video has been three years ago and you can almost predict where it's heading. Everything from processing capabilities down to the connectors has changed and things continue to change. On the side of audio very little has changed in terms of technologies.

CD quality music has been with us for decades and looks to remain that way as the bread and butter staple of this hobby for many more years to come. CD quality movies have finally caught on but when you get right down to it, it's nothing revolutionary. My source devices will continue to evolve as video processing improves and a piece like the SSP-800 is destined to hold office for a very long time. I think an AVP will most likely serve only one term well then quickly become a lame duck. Seriously, how much video processing does a person need in their system? My philosophy is to just keep things clean and simple. Everything works much better that way.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                        My reliable source DN
                                                                        When were you told this? Was it this week that you heard something?

Comment

• beden1
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                          • 1676

Keeping with this same line of reasoning, the SSP-800 will be an excellent audio multi-channel pre-amp.

After thinking about this for a while now, what I really want is the same excellent sound as my current CP-500 produces in two channel, but to be able to play music through my three front speakers and the sub woofers. I have come to the conclusion that I really don't prefer the sounds coming from the surround channels when listening to music or music videos. And as for watching movies and listening to their multi-channel sound tracks (HT), I have been satisfied with my current Pioneer Elite receiver with HDMI and all of the feature sets.

As far as HD music, am I wrong in thinking that the upcoming Blu-Ray players or the PS3 will be able to internally process and pass through the new codecs, regardless of whether or not my current receiver has HDMI 1.3 or can process these signals internally? (my receiver has HDMI 1.2) Also, in speaking with my local B&W/Classe dealer, I will not be able to get True Color at this point anyway, because my Sony XBR3 does not enable this feature set.

What is the best option to expand my music listening to 3.1, since this is primarily something that I would really like to have?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

The sound quality you have come to appreciate in the CP-500 is not only carried over into multiple channels through the SSP-800 but leveled up to exceed the performance of the CP-700. Given your primary interest for 3.1 music there would be no deterrent to its application in your system. If you should decide to experiment with the other channels later on you could.

HDMI 1.1 and higher processors can accept MPCM signals from sources like the PS3 that are capable of decoding the new highres formats. Your Pioneer would fit this category.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Oct 2005
                                                                              • 992

The sound quality you have come to appreciate in the CP-500 is not only carried over into multiple channels through the SSP-800 but leveled up to exceed the performance of the CP-700. Given your primary interest for 3.1 music there would be no deterrent to its application in your system. If you should decide to experiment with the other channels later on you could.

HDMI 1.1 and higher processors can accept MPCM signals from sources like the PS3 that are capable of decoding the new highres formats. Your Pioneer would fit this category.
                                                                              not sure how you can make a comment like that, have you compared the ssp800 and the cp700 to comment ?

looking under the hood of the cp700 it looks like a well designed analog pre-amp with with what looks like a dual mono design, with discrete components and even an isolated well designed power supply, infact so isolated its completely removed from the unit in its very own box !

the ssp800 looking under the hood is silicone chip city by comparison with a trimmed down power supply design squashed in there. basically your typical av pre-pro from what I can see under the hood.

this is not unusual, lookign under the hood of other brand products youd see the same thing eg the dedicated 2ch pre-amp such as the cary slp03

vs the cary cinema 11

no guesses on which is the better 2ch performer

this is been my experience with jsut about all the av pre-pros I've investigated vs their 2ch counter parts.
                                                                              "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 3139

Originally posted by alebonau
                                                                                not sure how you can make a comment like that, have you compared the ssp800 and the cp700 to comment ?
                                                                                No, I haven't. But the VP of Brand Development whom is THE authority on the Delta Series and the responsible party for bringing both models to market did compare, can comment and has.

looking under the hood of the cp700 it looks like a well designed analog pre-amp with with what looks like a dual mono design, with discrete components and even an isolated well designed power supply, infact so isolated its completely removed from the unit in its very own box !
                                                                                It is a stellar piece, I should know, I owned one. But some of the choices Classe' had to make in building the CP-700 were based on constraints unrelated to audio achievement. Engineering, no matter how well intentioned, does not come without some tradeoffs.

the ssp800 looking under the hood is silicone chip city by comparison with a trimmed down power supply design squashed in there. basically your typical av pre-pro from what I can see under the hood.
                                                                                Irrelevant, provided that the parts selection doesn't make unnecessary compromises and the design is proficiently executed. Review this thread in its entirety for a reminder of some key elements to this point.

this is not unusual, lookign under the hood of other brand products youd see the same thing eg the dedicated 2ch pre-amp such as the cary slp03

vs the cary cinema 11

no guesses on which is the better 2ch performer
                                                                                I cannot fairly speak on behalf of Cary, I have little exposure. But from what I have seen and heard from others it's not in the same league and is therefore another irrelevant mention.

this is been my experience with jsut about all the av pre-pros I've investigated vs their 2ch counter parts.
                                                                                That's too bad that your experience has been so limited. I know off hand several pre/pro's that are every bit the equivalent to their class matching pre-amplifiers. The SSP-800 is unique in that it currently exceeds its own.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Oct 2005
                                                                                  • 992

No, I haven't. But the VP of Brand Development whom is THE authority on the Delta Series and the responsible party for bringing both models to market did compare, can comment and has.

It is a stellar piece, I should know, I owned one. But some of the choices Classe' had to make in building the CP-700 were based on constraints unrelated to audio achievement. Engineering, no matter how well intentioned, does not come without some tradeoffs.

Irrelevant, provided that the parts selection doesn't make unnecessary compromises and the design is proficiently executed. Review this thread in its entirety for a reminder of some key elements to this point.

I cannot fairly speak on behalf of Cary, I have little exposure. But from what I have seen and heard from others it's not in the same league and is therefore another irrelevant mention.

That's too bad that your experience has been so limited. I know off hand several pre/pro's that are every bit the equivalent to their class matching pre-amplifiers. The SSP-800 is unique in that it currently exceeds its own.
                                                                                  irrelevant ? hehe

I find it very relevant that when say the SSP-800 exceeds the performance of the CP-700 it turns out you are saying that never having compared the two devices but instead just parroting what some sales guy has supposedly said. you believe what ever sales guys tell you I suppose hehe

hardly a suprise I suppose you are jsut parroting what some sales guy told you, as that is just what you have been doing all the time in this thread and on this forum and every other forum you can get yourself on hehe

irrelevant what is under the hood of the cp700 2ch analog vs the ssp 800 ? I dissagree. what is under there is very relevant and the design direction the classe engineers have taken in either product will very much determine completely the performance of both product.

and quite a significant difference it can make to. I know with my cousins classe ssp though its pretty reasonable for 2ch for an av pre-pro, he found a 2ch analog pre costing less than half its cost to easily better it for 2ch. Was significant enough that though he loves the classe for ht and mch he purchased the 2ch purely for 2ch duties

I'd suggest to anyone with a 2ch requirement to do the same as my cousin and rather than take someone in sales word for it, to instead keep and open mind and actually go explore the options and experience for yourself before coming to any conclusions

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 2299

irrelevant ? hehe
                                                                                    irrelevant what is under the hood of the cp700 2ch analog vs the ssp 800 ? I dissagree. what is under there is very relevant and the design direction the classe engineers have taken in either product will very much determine completely the performance of both product.

and quite a significant difference it can make to. I know with my cousins classe ssp though its pretty reasonable for 2ch for an av pre-pro, he found a 2ch analog pre costing less than half its cost to easily better it for 2ch. Was significant enough that though he loves the classe for ht and mch he purchased the 2ch purely for 2ch duties

I'd suggest to anyone with a 2ch requirement to do the same as my cousin and rather than take someone in sales word for it, to instead keep and open mind and actually go explore the options and experience for yourself before coming to any conclusions
                                                                                    A couple comments here..

first, anyone that I know who has ever compared the performance of 2 channel in the SSP-600 to the CP-500 has concluded they are equal. That in itself is counter to your claim that it would not be possible for the SSP-800 to be as good or better than the CP-700.

Next, Technology has changed in these few years between the release of the CP-700 and the impending release of the SSP-800. It is possible to do more with less.

If you are stuck on the notion that you have to spend an additional $7000 to acheive equal performance, then by all means, do so. It is your money! There is an arguement for the CP-700 if you need the phono stage or you are building a strictly 2 channel preamp.

To me, it sounds like you are the one with a closed mind, as you are stuck on an old paradigm. go demo and find out for yourself.

Or, could it be that you know the 2 channel performance of the classe is superior to the Denon you covet and are looking for excuses?

It seems to me by attacking RM, you are diverting attention away from yourself. Knock it off. RM can make his own statements, and he will be responsible to stand behind them, but those statements should NEVER substitute one from doing their own demo's and making his/her own judgement.

The potential is there for the SSP-800. Only time will tell. But hey, if you want to throw down $7000, can I give you my paypal address?

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Oct 2005
                                                                                      • 992

A couple comments here..

first, anyone that I know who has ever compared the performance of 2 channel in the SSP-600 to the CP-500 has concluded they are equal. That in itself is counter to your claim that it would not be possible for the SSP-800 to be as good or better than the CP-700.

Next, Technology has changed in these few years between the release of the CP-700 and the impending release of the SSP-800. It is possible to do more with less.

If you are stuck on the notion that you have to spend an additional $7000 to acheive equal performance, then by all means, do so. It is your money! There is an arguement for the CP-700 if you need the phono stage or you are building a strictly 2 channel preamp.

To me, it sounds like you are the one with a closed mind, as you are stuck on an old paradigm. go demo and find out for yourself.

Or, could it be that you know the 2 channel performance of the classe is superior to the Denon you covet and are looking for excuses?

It seems to me by attacking RM, you are diverting attention away from yourself. Knock it off. RM can make his own statements, and he will be responsible to stand behind them, but those statements should NEVER substitute one from doing their own demo's and making his/her own judgement.

The potential is there for the SSP-800. Only time will tell. But hey, if you want to throw down $7000, can I give you my paypal address?
                                                                                      I base my conclusions on what I see hear and experience rather than heresay and what people with very obvious bias and commercial interest might tell me. Little youd understand I guess just how many av pre-pros and 2ch pre amps I have experienced, demoed and compared both in my system and others.

I can see some a very different engineering design approach of the cp-700 appearing to be a well designed and engineered analog 2ch pre vs the ssp800 which from what I can see is very much your typical ssp under the hood.

atleast you seem the kind who goes out and experiences to understand. rather than just blindly parrot what you have been told.

hopefully others will actually compare the two devices in their own system if possible to come to their conclusions rather than base what they believe on heresay or some pre-conceived ideas

Comment

• merlinus
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2008
                                                                                        • 113

Many are fortunate to live in places where they can audition high-end audio and video gear. I am not one of them.

So I read carefully what people on this and other forums have to say about their equipment and auditions of other units, always keeping in mind the age-old axiom, YMMV.

I purchased sight and hearing unseen an entire new 2-channel and HT setup. I am continually blown away by the sound, and am very grateful to all those who took the time and care to share their experiences.

Clearly pissing contests are a complete waste of time and bandwidth in this regard, and sadly it seems this is what has happened with the threads on the forum relative to the SSP-800.

I await the arrival of mine with bated breath!
                                                                                        merlin

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                                          • 2299

Originally posted by merlinus

Clearly pissing contests are a complete waste of time and bandwidth in this regard, and sadly it seems this is what has happened with the threads on the forum relative to the SSP-800.
                                                                                          Especially when peoples agenda is clearly only to come here and disrupt the thread, and have no desire to purchase the SSP-800.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 3139

I base my conclusions on what I see hear and experience rather than heresay and what people with very obvious bias and commercial interest might tell me. Little youd understand I guess just how many av pre-pros and 2ch pre amps I have experienced, demoed and compared both in my system and others.
                                                                                            As do I. However, the situation with the SSP-800 is special. Unfortunately, I haven't any direct exposure to the new processor, sadly but true. Still my experience with Classé over the years makes it possible to know what can be expected. The conclusions I have formulated are based on 1) my current system, 2) the engineering that went into the new processor and 3) the opinions of others that are intimately involved with the project and whom have heard it that have similar tastes to my own.

If someone unfamiliar to the brand were in the market for a new processor then it might behoove them to wait or at the very least become acquainted with the brand's signature sound. That's not the case for me here. I am not in the market for a house sound to which I am unaccustomed to. I am in the market for something better than what is currently available within the same line and that happens to be the SSP-800.

The same case made for quality cars can be made to quality audio equipment. Honda has a great reputation for reliability. I have owned Honda for years. I know if I were in the market for a new car I could buy a Honda sight unseen and know it will be a reliable car. That's because of their reputation, which they spend years building. The company’s reputation gives the unfamiliar customer some security in knowing that they will get a reliable car too. But a quick test drive will never reveal that. Only others past experience and feedback will. The same can be said of Classé's audio equipment.

I can see some a very different engineering design approach of the cp-700 appearing to be a well designed and engineered analog 2ch pre vs the ssp800 which from what I can see is very much your typical ssp under the hood.
                                                                                            What makes a great engineering company so great? One that learns from past experiences and mistakes. The CP-700 and SSP-800 are indeed different designs, engineered at different times and for different applications. The hardware and know-how five years ago has changed too. It's gotten better, much, much better. Obviously you are not an engineer. I can tell you (as an engineer) that doing more with less will always net you better results provided that the objective remains constant. That's exactly what the engineering team at Classé has been able to do with the new processor. Better engineering and better technology made it possible to do today what couldn't be achieved a few years ago. Simple as that.

atleast you seem the kind who goes out and experiences to understand. rather than just blindly parrot what you have been told.

hopefully others will actually compare the two devices in their own system if possible to come to their conclusions rather than base what they believe on heresay or some pre-conceived ideas
                                                                                            Given the scarcity of the Denon AVP-A1HD I suspect you had very little time to demo and compare it to others in it's price class before you bought it. Still, I don't think you should you be condemned for buying into the Denon features hype. However, if you were truly looking for audio euphoria you would have waited. You didn't because it wasn't that important to you. It is to me!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"