X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

upgrade suggestions please

I currently have a Rotel RC-1090 pre and a RB-1092 amp driving some B&W N804 and ASW800 sub. I would like to upgrade to Classe gear but my dealer will only sell at list ($8000 for pre and amp - CP500 & CA2100). Now I realize this is a step down in power output - 500/ch vs 100/ch) - but I am banking that the sonics would be better. I am also considering the integrated CAP-2100. Need some input from owners. My source is a Rotel CDD-1055 changer (not used much) and a Rega P7 TT with Dynavector DV20X cartridge.
  • shep
    • Dec 2004

audiogon has been listing some CA2100s. I've been waiting for a CA 2200 to show up and gave up, buying new. Am driving 803s, and can give you an update on the CA 2200 when it arrives next week. Only your ears will be able to decide, though, if the difference between the Rotel and Classe will be worth the difference in price.

If you can only change one thing, though, I would start with the pre...I found the biggest change when upgrading to CP 700 from the Rotel RC-1070. You'll need to shell out for the phono preamp module, though, which is another $500. Otherwise, you can try to pick up a Rotel phono preamp used...

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Thanks Shep. I think I will need at least 200w/ch. I noticed a significant difference when I upgraded my RC-1070 to the RC-1090. For the $ the RC-1070 is a very nice preamp though. I use my RC-1070/RB-1070 as a second unit in my den. I would consider the CP500 with phono stage. What is the difference between the CP700 & CP500?
      Last edited by miner; 03 February 2008, 18:05 Sunday.

Comment

• shep
        • Dec 2004

I don't know if the retail prices are posted anywhere, but they went up January 1. the CP700 is now about $7 or $8k, CP500 is a few thousand less. There is (or was) a CP500 on Audiogon. someone has Classe CAM350 amps listed right now. They have a wonderful reputation with B&W 800 series. Would be upgrade proof in case you move to the 803s some day.

The CA2200 now lists at $5500, which is not cheap, but there should be a little room in the price.

Comment

• shep
          • Dec 2004

have you tried shopping for another dealer in your region? 10% discount for a repeat customer is not unheard of.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"