X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minardi2
    • May 2007

Ventilation for CA-3200

I have a CA-3200 at home for an in-home demo for a few days to compare it to my six channel Krell Showcase (using the Classe to drive the fronts for comparison puposes). The manual says the amp needs 6" clearance on top and 3" on the sides. I have a Salamander Triple 20 (three columns with two shelves in each column) that is about 22" tall, so there is no way to give the amp that much breathing room if I were to keep it. The most it could get is probably 3" and 2" respectively.

For those that own this amp, how much space are you giving it, and if it's less than what the manual recommends, have you had any issues?

Initial impressions are favorable, but I don't have an SPL meter to set levels, so it's being done by ear which isn't perfect. Thanks for any input.
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

Hi Minardi2,

Although my CA-3200 kinda sits out in the open, it's surrounded by the center speaker, power conditioner, souurce, and pre-amp (see picture below):

My current setup is probably around 1" and 2" clearance; definitely does not meet the suggested clearance per the user manual. The amp does get quite warm (especially the heat sinks/fins; but they are still toucheable by hand) after a pro-long listening session. But, so far so good, haven't had a heat related issues yet (keeping my fingers crossed).

I think you should have no porblem with your audio rack (especially with the perforated metal doors).

Cheers,
    Tony
    Tony

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Minardi, I was considering a similar Salamander stand, the Synergy Triple 20, for all three of my amplifiers. Provided that your CA-3200 is not encased and you allow for plenty of air flow you should be okay. The stand I was considering was modular meaning that it could be built with or without breathable side panels. I was planning to forgo the panels at first and add them later if I felt it necessary. I ended up with a Soundations stand instead because it fit my nook whereas the Salamander didn't. It had about the same 2"-3" ceiling you are facing and a back panel. The front and sides were open. I experienced no problems.

The CA-3200 will be warm to the touch but if driven hard for while it can get toasty. It is after all running in Class-A mode much of the time. Given plenty of surrounding ventilation you should be fine.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• SoCalCM
        • Oct 2007

I have had the 3200 in a Salamander for over a year now. It has a little less than the manual recommends -- no issues at all -- and it is driving 3x B&W 802D.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"