• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Telstar
    • Dec 2007

CA-100 vs CA-101

Hello,

Finally a place where somebody should know about Classé stuff

I have a CAP-100 integrated and I'm planning to connect a power-amp to it to passively biamp my Linn tower speakers.
    The models with the same gain and about the same manifacturing time are the CA-100 and the CA-101. The former being cheaper and the second being easier to find.

Now the question is: does the 101 sound better? One guy told me so. I wonder about the internal components.
    Any insight would be helpful.
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I don't have any direct experience with the CA-100 but the new Delta Series CA-2100 plays off of the older CA-101 architecture and both have more in common with each other than the CA-100 but the differences in design are minimal. It's the choices in parts and materials that primarily separate the two generations. So in theory the CA-101 should sound (subtly?) better than the CA-100. Glen B is our resident expert with Classe's legacy lines; maybe he will chime in with more insight regarding SQ.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Telstar
      • Dec 2007

Thanks!

Will wait for more expert advice.

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

The CA-101 does sound slightly (emphasis on the word slightly) better than the CA100, there is a little more refinement in the upper frequencies, the bottom end is somewhat more controlled. The CA101 is really a great amplifier IMO, I had two of them some time back and wish I would not have sold them. I had each one bridged on a pair of N803's.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

I have not compared the CA-100 and CA-101 but I'm surprised that they would sound different. Both models are supposed to be electrically identical, sharing the same power supply and output device complement.

On the issue of pairing the CAP-101 with either a CA-100 or CA-101, the integrated amp is substantially different from the power amps (300VA transformer, 37,600 uf PS caps, and single pair of bipolar output devices per channel in the CAP-101 versus a 600VA transformer, 56,400 uf PS caps, and 2 pairs of bipolar output devices per channel in the CA-100/101).

Due to some product repositioning by Classé, the lesser CAP-80 became the CAP-101, and the CAP-100 was discontinued in favor of the CAP-151 as opposed to the natural progression of CAP-100 evolving into a CAP-101.
          Last edited by Glen B; 28 December 2007, 09:05 Friday.

Comment

• Greg Gale
            • Nov 2006

Should not be any difference between CA100 and CA101 soundwise

I had a CA200 and then a CA201. The internal electrical parts were identical and only the face plate and rear handles were changed which I was told is the same between the CA100 and CA101.

They sounded identical to me.
            Greg Gale

Main System:
            802 D2
            Classe CA2300
            Ayre K5XEMP
            Graham Slee Reflex M
            Esoteric X-05 SACD
            VPI Classic 3
            Dynavector X20x2
            Oppo BDP 95

Comment

• Telstar
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Glen B
              I have not compared the CA-100 and CA-101 but I'm surprised that they would sound different. Both models are supposed to be electrically identical, sharing the same power supply and output device complement.
              I cant seem to be able to find the CA-100 on the used market, while the Ca-101 is a bit expensive, so I'm still looking.

Also, I just read that the CA-* are very sensitive to the quality of the power source and that a conditioner or filter would attain a big sonic improvement.
              If somebody has experiences in this matter, I would appreciate sharing.

Originally posted by Glen B
              Due to some product repositioning by Classé, the lesser CAP-80 became the CAP-101, and the CAP-100 was discontinued in favor of the CAP-151 as opposed to the natural progression of CAP-100 evolving into a CAP-101.
              Yes, I knew this and it was quite hard to find this information. I'm happy with my CAP-100, but i definitely want to biamp.

Comment

• Telstar
                • Dec 2007

Also, since I will biamp with not two CA-100 or CA-101 but with either of them and the integrated CAP-100 (sonically almost identical to the cap-151), which of the two would suggest to use for the basses and which one for the mid-highs?

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

more power to the bass.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Telstar
                    Also, I just read that the CA-* are very sensitive to the quality of the power source and that a conditioner or filter would attain a big sonic improvement. If somebody has experiences in this matter, I would appreciate sharing.
                    I don't know if I would say the CA-XXX amps are "very" sensitive to power quality. Owners of some "00" models reported problems with transformer hum, apparently due to DC on the power line. The issue was addressed in the "01" models by the inclusion of a DC blocking circuit ahead of the transformer. My experience with various forms of conditioning is that balanced power has produced the most noticeable sonic improvement, particularly in bass quality.
                    Originally posted by Telstar
                    Also, since I will biamp with not two CA-100 or CA-101 but with either of them and the integrated CAP-100 (sonically almost identical to the cap-151), which of the two would suggest to use for the basses and which one for the mid-highs?
                    I second what Sikoniko said. The more capable CA-100/101 should go on the bass.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"