X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

If Rotel can do it, why can't classe?

It would seem that Rotel is offering an upgrade path for the 1098 to get HDMI v1.1 connections. If Rotel can do it, why can't classe offer this for their SSP's?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I would say that Classe is more about pure sound quality while Rotel is aimed more towards the HT area. Basically 2 different companies with different goals.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dougie085
      I would say that Classe is more about pure sound quality while Rotel is aimed more towards the HT area. Basically 2 different companies with different goals.
      What does sound quality have to do with being able to offer an hdmi upgrade? Classe offers HT products, so your arguement doesnt make sense to me.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

It has tons to do with it. Their R&D department is not so worried about HDMI or video stuff. Also another reason they could possibly not be jumping on HDMI is that its constantly changing maybe they are waiting for a standard spec before tossing it in one of their HT processors. I know they make HT products as well I'm just saying that Rotel is more about their HT products and I don't think classe is quite as much. It's really not a huge deal... get a TV with lots of HDMI ports or get a switch box they have some auto switchers. The only thing you would be missing then is HDMI 1.3 features which I don't think Rotel has yet.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

It has to do with architecture more that anything. The design of the RSP-1098 allowed Rotel to remove the S-video "board" and replace it with the HDMI "board". The Classe preamps (SSP-300 and SSP-600) we not designed like that. There is no where to remove (or move) something to put HDMI inputs and outputs in their place. There is no where to add them to the existing chassis without changing the whole thing.

Eric

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Eric is right, and it was this motive that gave way to the SSP-900. The SSP-900 was designed from the ground up with modularity in mind, same goes for the Rotel RSP-1098 with it's PC card based topology. Like the SSP-300 and SSP-600, the Rotel RSP-1068 was not built for "upgradablility" either. So Classe' can do it just not (easily) with the SSP's you have in mind, unfortunately.

Keep in mind the RSP-1098 HDMI daughter card is a VERY limited upgrade at best as it only buys you video switching and passthrough no transcoding, no scalling and no audio processing of any kind.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• pengilly
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by hifiguymi
              It has to do with architecture more that anything. The design of the RSP-1098 allowed Rotel to remove the S-video "board" and replace it with the HDMI "board". The Classe preamps (SSP-300 and SSP-600) we not designed like that. There is no where to remove (or move) something to put HDMI inputs and outputs in their place. There is no where to add them to the existing chassis without changing the whole thing.

Eric
              +1 on this quote

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

New Rotel HDMI 1.1 1069 have some problems
                May be Rotel too hhurried to roll out therie new products

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"