X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • probeski
    • Sep 2005

Ca-5200??

HI, I'm considering a CA-5200, but I havn't read many opinions about them. Are they as good as the CA-2200 & CA-3200? I have read that multi channel amps are generally not as good as stereo amps with stereo sources, however I wonder how noticeable this will be when using high-end gear such as the CA-5200. Can anyone offer opinions and any technical info? My rears will be ceiling speakers (hopefully good quality) and am unsure whether to just power them with my receivers amps and get a CA-3200 or if it might sound better with Class'e all round with the CA-5200.

Another thing i might add is that i am only using either a H/K 635 or a Denon 3806 as the pre amp, so no balanced connections; will this be a major problem or will it still work well? I will be using either B&W 803s or 804s.
    Will the H/K 635 and Denon 3806 have acceptable impedance match and output voltage?

Thanks
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by probeski
    HI, I'm considering a CA-5200, but I havn't read many opinions about them. Are they as good as the CA-2200 & CA-3200? I have read that multi channel amps are generally not as good as stereo amps with stereo sources, however I wonder how noticeable this will be when using high-end gear such as the CA-5200. Can anyone offer opinions and any technical info? My rears will be ceiling speakers (hopefully good quality) and am unsure whether to just power them with my receivers amps and get a CA-3200 or if it might sound better with Class'e all round with the CA-5200.

Another thing i might add is that i am only using either a H/K 635 or a Denon 3806 as the pre amp, so no balanced connections; will this be a major problem or will it still work well? I will be using either B&W 803s or 804s.
    Will the H/K 635 and Denon 3806 have acceptable impedance match and output voltage?

Thanks
    I am using similar connections for my HT setup. I have a Classe CAV-150 (6 channels x 150 watts), and in my case, I am using it to power my three front speakers (B&W 803Ds) through a bi-amp connection to have 3 x 300 watts. I use my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS receiver (7 channels x 130 watts) to power my rear speakers. I have also now incorporated a Classe CP-500 pre-amp for stereo music listening.

You would connect your receiver to the amplifier using the pre-outs on the reciever to connect to the amplifier inputs. Then connect your speakers directly from the amplifier speaker connections.

My receiver also does not have balanced connections, so it connects to the amplifier via RCA cables. The main issue with this, is if any hissing/buzzing occurs when you hook one to the other without balanced connections. I did get some of this until I checked/tightened all of my connections again (and separated my power cords from the RCA cables), and eliminated any interference. The Classe amps are isolated and made very well.

I don't think impedence match and output voltage will even be an issue at all, unless you get a European model (voltage)? Also, I really never heard of a stereo amp sounding better than a multi-channel amp (audibly) . . if compared to the same manufacturer and power rating (such as Classe).

Comment

• rickc
      • Sep 2006

I have the Classe CA- 5200 and I am amazed at the sound quality every night that I listen to this Classe system. I have a SSP 600 , CDP 300 and B & W 802D's. The one thing that you may consider is what your next move will be down the road? I am close to getting some Classe Cam 400 mono blocks in addition to the 5200. I will have one extra amp avalibale on my 5200 because I will be bi wiring the center with the 5200 and using the other two channels for the rears. If I planned this better I would of purchased a CA-3200 and mono blocks up front. The problem with this hobby is the cost.

BTW

I just added some new power cables and balanced interconnects from Transparent and that has also improved the sound of my setup.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

The CA-5200 will sound identical to the CA-2200 or CA-3200. You could power your surrounds with a different brand and type of amplifier (receiver) and use the CA-3200 up front but I caution this idea. You will find yourself fighting with gain related mismatches. Tonal variations between amplifiers may also occur but will be less detectable the more dissimilar the surrounds are from the mains.

Have you considered the CA-5100 instead? It's less expensive, it will meet your MCH needs and it has pleanty of drive for a pair of 804's or 803's.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Maverick71
          • Nov 2006

I've tried a CA5200, CA3200 and CA2200 at home and didn't find any diference in sound quality between them for 2 ch listening. Ended up buying the CA5200 that is currently powering a pair of 802D's, HTM2D and 805S for rears.

Mav

Comment

• probeski
            • Sep 2005

I will most likely get a CA5200 but out of curiosity can gain related mismatches be fixed with sound leveling using AVIA / DVE or not?

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

To some degree yes. It will depend on the flexibility of the pre/pro and the severity of mismatches. Beware that input sensitivities can also be a factor that skews proper matching. It's more trouble than it is worth most of the time.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"