X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Any Chance Classe will make a Class D Amp

I love my Rotel 1077 Class D amp becuase of size, lack of heat and quality. Does anything think Classe will come out with an ICE power amp?
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

It would be very unlikely for the foreseeable future. Rotel is mostly about delivering good bang for the buck whereas Classe' is mostly about delivering performance. Given the sonic irregularities Rotel has experienced with their own Class-D amplifiers it stands to reason why most high-end brands are sticking to the tried and true for now.

Anyone that grew up in the pre CD era when LP's flourished would understand the ole' adage, "what's old is new again" and how apropos this is with today’s choices of digital and analog sources. I see the potential of history repeating itself again but in this case with power amplifiers.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
      . Given the sonic irregularities Rotel has experienced with their own Class-D amplifiers
      Thanks or your reply rebelMan.

Can you please expand on this a little more?

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
        Can you please expand on this a little more?
        Rotel is first and foremost a power supply manufacturer. They build their own Class A/B amplifiers using their own parts. Unlike their Class-D amplifiers which are predominately built using power supplies and other parts from third party vendors.

The issues between various Rotel Class-D amplifiers stems from an inconsistency in the quality and voicing of the different power supply modules. Switching amplifiers in general have been notorious for high-frequency roll off and distortion. While these issues have been largely dealt with in recent years there remains room for improvement. This disparity was clearly evident between the RMB-1077 and the RB-1091/RB-1092. Ironically it was the former that was acoustically true.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Rotel is first and foremost a power supply manufacturer. They build their own Class A/B amplifiers using their own parts. Unlike their Class-D amplifiers which are predominately built using power supplies and other parts from third party vendors.

The issues between various Rotel Class-D amplifiers stems from an inconsistency in the quality and voicing of the different power supply modules. Switching amplifiers in general have been notorious for high-frequency roll off and distortion. While these issues have been largely dealt with in recent years there remains room for improvement. This disparity was clearly evident between the RMB-1077 and the RB-1091/RB-1092. Ironically it was the former that was acoustically true.
          Well said,
          I can assure you however, that Classe' has many Class D amplifiers to play with and listen to... :B

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

I have the 1077 which is why I asked. I may take hits for saying this, but a friend of mind just got new BeoLab 5s with ICE power and they sound great. Like "dispersed sound" or not the amp does a great job. Its 2500 watts/speaker by the way.

Is it not possible for classe to make a Classe D amp which is better then the 1077 and on par with current Classe A Classe amps?

Andrew mentioned they have access to all class D amps which is no supprise, but are they using that access to try and make a killer class D of their own? I cant imagine they are ignoring the margins in these amps.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
              • Apr 2005

I have the 1077 which is why I asked. I may take hits for saying this, but a friend of mind just got new BeoLab 5s with ICE power and they sound great. Like "dispersed sound" or not the amp does a great job. Its 2500 watts/speaker by the way.

Is it not possible for classe to make a Classe D amp which is better then the 1077 and on par with current Classe A Classe amps?

Andrew mentioned they have access to all class D amps which is no supprise, but are they using that access to try and make a killer class D of their own? I cant imagine they are ignoring the margins in these amps.
              I have a 1077 and love it..!!!!
              It is not uncommon for me to "fool" highly qualified listeners when looking at my No. 300 series Levinson amps and actually be listening to the 1077... if this only happened once I would never mention it but I can get 'em every time, the 1077 is that good...

you're fine buddy (Chill-ax) the 1077 is a monster...

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                I have a 1077 and love it..!!!!
                It is not uncommon for me to "fool" highly qualified listeners when looking at my No. 300 series Levinson amps and actually be listening to the 1077... if this only happened once I would never mention it but I can get 'em every time, the 1077 is that good...

you're fine buddy (Chill-ax) the 1077 is a monster...

your right it is great.

The main reason I would want classe to make a Classe D is becuase I want to switch all my rotel gear for Classe and want it to match. At this point I need size/heat benefits of the Class D.

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

The main reason I would want classe to make a Classe D is becuase I want to switch all my rotel gear for Classe and want it to match. At this point I need size/heat benefits of the Class D.
                  Now that would be nice and a good idea too. You can be certain that Classe' isn't one to rest on it's laurels. I am certain that if they do release a Class-D product it will at least meet if not exceed their expectations or they won't bring it to market. They have the clout and the backing to do the right thing for the products they sell and their image.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"