X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • still learning
    • Aug 2007

ca 300 or cav?

Hi:

I have more questions that I am asking your opinions on. My post below on the best amp for B&W N804 shows my equipment and that it really is time to upgrade my amp and processor. For an upgraded amp I am now considering two options (a) a ca300 (or 400) for the fronts, and a cav 180 for the center and rears. Does this make sense? Do these models match up? This way I could work to pure 2 channel and HT multi channel. Are the power requirements excessive?

Or, (b) I could go with a cav 180 or cav500 in one.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you very much for any help.

still learning
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

These are all the same generation of amp, and have a similar sound. In theory, the CA-300 or 400 will give the Fronts the best sound as you can't have too much power. This would also give you room to grow if you upgrade speakers.

If looking only at right now, the Cav500 would suit your needs and be affordable.

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

I mostly agree, except that the difference between the CA-300 and CAV-500 is only 50 watts or 0.5dB, not enough to be noticeable.

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

Glen,

My thinking was the CA-300 would have a little better isolation that a 5 channel amp and probably a bit better power supply to # of channel ratio. This should provide a little sound quality improvement.

I agree the power difference is not a big deal.

Darrell

Comment

• still learning
          • Aug 2007

cav 500

What is the sonic difference between the cav 180 & cav 500? Maybe I should get the 500 and could get a 2 channel later? I assume that the 500 would be better with the B&W N804'4 and SCM1's & center, but maybe I am missing something?

Thanks again

Comment

• shannere
            • Jun 2007

Then why is it that on Audiogon the CA301 and Cav500 sell for similar prices despite the three additional channels?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"