X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drdancos
    • Jul 2007

Interconnect and Speaker Cable

Hello there.
    I was wondering what brand of interconnects and speaker cables everyone is using.
    I am very new to the hobby and having a hard time deciding on cables.
    Any particular brand recommended for Classe gear?
    Any feedback and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

My system:
    Classe Ca-5200, SSP-600, CDP-300, RLT-5 PLUS
    Definitive Technology Mythos Super Towers, Mythos 8 center,
    Mythos 1 Towers rear
    Super Cube II sub
    Pioneer PRO-FHD1 1080p Monitor
  • OttoMatic
    • Jan 2007

Hey there,

Well, not being a big believer in cables, I'd suggest some 12 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot. It's less than $1/ft and works nicely.

As to interconnects, again, don't go for the snake oil. Most interconnects that are solidly built and of the correct diameter should work well. You don't want cheap junk from Radio Shack, but there's also no need to go super expensive.

If friends or salespeople tell you that this cable or that cable really "opened the soundstage" or lended "greater transparency" turn your BS detector on full. Those types of comments are easy to provide when one can see the price tag hanging from the cable. However, if things were blinded, I would imagine that their perception of those changes would be much different. That assumues, of course, that the cables are built with quality components, are not defective, etc.

The CAT Cable stuff that's sold by the owner of this forum appears to fit the bill. Nicely built, quality components, fair price. Check them out at the top of this page...
    -- Otto
    Misc Pics

Comment

• Pookie007
      • Apr 2006

I got some Cat Cables and really like them. I think they are the perfect balance of price and performance. There was a noticeable difference between what I was previously using. Like all audio gear, as you go towards the higher end of things, your incremental gains get smaller and your costs for this gain gets larger.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Very happy with my CAT Cables. Yes , I heard a difference-and my system is the low end of 'hi-fi'. Or the high end of 'mid-fi'? Anyway , good quality ICs from CAT can't be beat on a price/performance ratio. Now would be the time to jump on a few pairs-possible price increases coming from materials costs.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• drdancos
          • Jul 2007

Thanks for the responses, I'll check out the Cat Cables.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the CATs.Several of us have done A/B comparisons of the CATs and been quite impressed. I was initially cautious about them , but after trying a pair of Silvercats I now own two pairs of Silvercats and two pairs of Kingcats . If there are better quality ICs on the market , I'll never be able to afford them. I can't even afford the equal of the CATs. Also haven't heard any better.
            I have a pair of "name-brand" ICs I bought before I found this forum that cost the same as the Silvercats , and won't even use them for my budget tuner . Even with a $300 component the difference the Silvercats make is easy to hear.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Otto, I don't know you, but thanks for that honest statement. It's true not everyone is a believer in cable differences, and I have no problem with that. I'll sell you just a good quality interconnect that technically meets what needs to be done to carry a signal, and we won't worry about the small stuff. But then if someone does wish to have something a little better, we offer that too. While often times, I agree that an apple is an apple no matter how you slice it. We do offer some value added products that actually do deliver.

The people that sing praises for CATs in their systems here, do it on their own. I don't put people up to things behind the scene. It's quite simple, they buy them, they like them, then they tell their friends, and best of all, next time they need a cable, they just automatically come back and trust that CAT will deliver again, a quality product at a fair price. That's all we try to do, nothing more.

Sometimes, we go out of our way to make things happen for people that are in a pinch. How about next day shipping for a custom pair of 50 foot speaker cables with non standard speaker end termination with UPS 3 day shipping to arrive same week for customer? It happened this week. :-)

If I can help you drdancos, let me know.

Doug
              CATCables.com
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• rickc
                • Sep 2006

I have a all classe system and I use audio quest speaker cabled and interconnects. I have been very happy with my sysytem

SSP 600

CDP 300

I also have BMW speakers 802D's

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

One of the advantages of the CAT Cables is the fact that the manufacturer (Lex) owns this forum , so he's easy to work with.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I think this thread has ran it's course... thanks for your participation at the forum.
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"