X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Classe CP-500 Connection Question

I just purchased a Classe CP-500 pre-amp on Audiogon that will be delivered on Monday. I have read the on-line owner's manual and still have a question about how to connect it to my Classe CAV-150 amp.

I currently have the amp connected using the pre-outs on my receiver to drive my L/C/R front speakers, and connecting the amp to my speakers by bi-amping (Y adaptor RCA connections) the 6 channels to drive the L/C/R front speakers.

I will be using the CP-500 to control my B&W 803D front speakers for stereo, and using my receiver for HT. I think I understand how the HT pass through feature works and how to hook the receiver and the CD player into the CP-500. But, how do I hook up the CP-500 to the CAV-150 amp using the balanced connections, and still enable bi-amping? Or, and if I keep the same RCA/Y adaptor setup as I have now, do I just split the signal again (another Y adaptor) for the CP-500 L/R front main speakers connection to the amp? I'd really like to use the balanced connection if possible.

I'm completely drawing a blank and any help is sincerely appreciated.
    Last edited by beden1; 29 June 2007, 22:18 Friday.
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

If you were getting a CP-700, you could bi-amp the R+L front channels from its two pairs of balanced outputs. Unfortunately, the CP-500 has only a single balanced output per channel. Like with its predecessors, I believe both the balanced and single-ended outputs of the CP-500 and CP-700 are active at the same time. Therefore, you could still bi-amp with the CP-500 by driving the more critical upper half from the XLR outputs and the lower half from the RCA outputs. Just an option to explore.

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Glen B
      If you were getting a CP-700, you could bi-amp the R+L front channels from its two pairs of balanced outputs. Unfortunately, the CP-500 has only a single balanced output per channel. Like with its predecessors, I believe both the balanced and single-ended outputs of the CP-500 and CP-700 are active at the same time. Therefore, you could still bi-amp with the CP-500 by driving the more critical upper half from the XLR outputs and the lower half from the RCA outputs. Just an option to explore.
      I appreciate your input, but I guess I'm still confused. My amp only has one pair of balanced inputs also. It may be that I can't use the balanced connections to bi-amp, but does it look like I can if I bridge the channels? I think the following says that I can bridge channels 1&2 and 3&4, and . . . it says you can bridge with balanced or RCA connections, but . . . when looking at the following in the manual, I don't see how you can use the balanced connection, and still bridge with having to combine channels 1&2 together, and channels 3&4 together (although it seems to say you can)? The following are excerpts from the manual:

REGULAR INPUTS:
      The CAV-150 is factory set for REGULAR use. Connect the regular interconnect to the RCA input jacks, for Channel-1 and Channel-2 make sure the Regular/Balanced switch is set to position marked "Regular" (down) which selects REGULAR inputs for both channels-1 and channel-2. (The Balanced XLR input jacks are automatically disable).
      BALANCED INPUTS:
      Balanced inputs are available to Channel-1 and Channel-2 only. Make sure the Regular/Balanced switch is set to position marked "Balanced" (up). Regardless of the type of input used, NORMAL or BRIDGED operation is still possible for Channel-1 and Channel-2
      NORMAL OPERATION:
      Input and output connectors for each channel are clearly grouped and marked on the back of the amplifier. (Units are preset at the factory for NORMAL.)(see fig.2&3 page 9&10) for typical connections of the CAV-150.
      BRIDGED OPERATION:
      The six (6) channels of the CAV-150 are divided into three (3) groups. These groups can be operated and configured independently _ Channel-1 with Channel-2, Channel-3 with Channel-4, and Channel-5 with Channel-6. When in bridged mode, the inputs of CH-1, CH-3 and CH-5 are used respectively. The unused inputs of CH-2, CH-4 and CH-6 are automatically disconnected when configured in bridged mode. The following steps should be performed to switch between NORMAL mode and BRIDGED mode.
      1) Turn OFF the unit and disconnect the AC cable.
      2) Reconnect all cables. Make sure the input and output connections of channels to be switched are according to the operating mode. (see fig.2&3 page 9&10). 3) Locate and set the mode switch to the desired operating mode (see fig.1a page 8) for channels to be switched (up=BRIDGED, down=NORMAL)
      CAUTION: Please remember that the negative output connection of a bridged amplifier is NOT a ground. Do not use a "common ground" or switchbox set-

-With this statement, how could I use the balanced connections to bridge, as doesn't the balanced connector have a ground?

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

It looks like the amp will only let me use either/or RCA/balanced connectors and not both.
        "The CAV-150 is factory set for REGULAR use. Connect the regular interconnect to the RCA input jacks, for Channel-1 and Channel-2 make sure the Regular/Balanced switch is set to position marked "Regular" (down) which selects REGULAR inputs for both channels-1 and channel-2. (The Balanced XLR input jacks are automatically disable)."

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by beden1
          It looks like the amp will only let me use either/or RCA/balanced connectors and not both.
          "The CAV-150 is factory set for REGULAR use. Connect the regular interconnect to the RCA input jacks, for Channel-1 and Channel-2 make sure the Regular/Balanced switch is set to position marked "Regular" (down) which selects REGULAR inputs for both channels-1 and channel-2. (The Balanced XLR input jacks are automatically disable)."
          With the configuration I suggested, only two amplifier channels (feeding the upper half of the right and left main speakers) will be driven by the balanced outputs of the CP-500, so the fact that only two channels of the CAV-150 are balanced falls in line with that suggested setup. The other four channels will be fed by the regular outputs of the preamp.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Glen B; 30 June 2007, 12:56 Saturday. Reason: Added diagram

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

With the configuration I suggested, only two amplifier channels (feeding the upper half of the right and left main speakers) will be driven by the balanced outputs of the CP-500, so the fact that only two channels of the CAV-150 are balanced falls in line with that suggested setup. The other four channels will be fed by the regular outputs of the preamp.
            Glen B,

Thank you very much for going out of your way to help. I understand it now! The only question remaining is whether the pre-amp will allow me to name more than one set of speaker connections to be an HT pass through for the same channel?
            Last edited by beden1; 30 June 2007, 22:36 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"