X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shep
    • Dec 2004

value of used CDP-102

looking to pick up a one year old CDP-102. Anyone have a ballpark idea what a good condition one would be worth?

There are no Classe dealers within 90 miles of here (Washington, DC), so used is my only option at the moment.
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

There are no Classe dealers within 90 miles of here (Washington, DC), so used is my only option at the moment.[/QUOTE]
    That should not be an "excuse' not to go for a new one. Get in youch with an out of state dealer, explain your situation, and get your player. you will also be waived from paying the local sales tax ! I purchased my entire Classe system from an out of state dealer, and I am sure that many members of this forum did the same.
    Good luck
    Eliav
    :T Socrat

Comment

• shep
      • Dec 2004

are you arguing against buying used? I kind of like the idea of saving $1000 or more. Just trying to find out a ballpark price.

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by shep
        are you arguing against buying used? I kind of like the idea of saving $1000 or more. Just trying to find out a ballpark price.
        The Audiogon Bluebook average for the CDP-100 is $2,270.00. Figure probably $200-$300 more for a CDP-102.
        Last edited by Glen B; 25 June 2007, 12:09 Monday.

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

Not really. I have baught used stuff before. IMHO, one need to consider what they truely get for the discount. 1000$ off the retail price is indeed nice, provided the CD is in a mint shape and has low hours.
          Let me be the Devil's advocate for the sake of argument : what if the CD player looks amazing, and yet it had been played for thousands of hours, or was kept in suboptimal conditions ( you will never be able to tell by the look of the unit, rather, you will have to take the seller's word for it...)), would you still buy it ? would you not rather pay more ( may be not that much more) to get a brand new one ? :W
          Eliav

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
            et me be the Devil's advocate for the sake of argument : what if the CD player looks amazing, and yet it had been played for thousands of hours, or was kept in suboptimal conditions ( you will never be able to tell by the look of the unit, rather, you will have to take the seller's word for it...)), would you still buy it ? would you not rather pay more ( may be not that much more) to get a brand new one ? :W
            Hey Eliav, I'll play too.

How often do you see newer system components like the CDP-102 with thousands of hours on them? Most hobbiests are too busy chasing sound rather than enjoying the music. Rarely do you see anyone hold on to gear long enough to accumulate the time. Most sell because they are upgrading, downsizing or they don't spend enough time to make the original investment worth while.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• shep
              • Dec 2004

I land somewhere in the middle of those two perspectives. Having an some or most of the warranty in effect and a big discount is an incentive, although you are paying less because some of the life of the product has already been "used up." A solid player built to last many years should hold up just fine, but I wouldn't take the same risk if the life-expectancy was significantly shorter. Would buy new if the price difference was a little closer than it is.

Comment

• MichiganMike
                • Mar 2004

One more vote for purchasing high quality equipment that has been gently used. This may not be in the same league as the CDP-102, but I purchased a Classe CDP-10 used a couple years ago and have been very pleased with its performance. The previous owner could afford to indulge his passion for experiencing well-reviewed equipment and then selling it to try the latest audio wonder. I was happy to get the CDP-10 at a discount shortly after it had been discontinued. It has served me well and is a significant upgrade from my Denon 2900 for audio CDs.

Comment

• Eliav
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  Hey Eliav, I'll play too.

How often do you see newer system components like the CDP-102 with thousands of hours on them? Most hobbiests are too busy chasing sound rather than enjoying the music. Rarely do you see anyone hold on to gear long enough to accumulate the time. Most sell because they are upgrading, downsizing or they don't spend enough time to make the original investment worth while.
                  Hey RebelMan !

well, this is true, in part. what is the true history of this " high quality shortly used gear " ?
                  Every so often there are those who religiously keep their gear "warm and sweet"," well broken in " etc ; these SS enthusiastics keep their gear turned on 24/7 ,and may keep their system/ cd player running for endless hours, just for the sake of keeping the system "ready" to give its best, or, to break the new speakers in , or may be to give the newly arrived cables their first 500 hour break in period before they get the new pre amp that definitely needs a "decent 300 hours " of break in period......... etc. etc.
                  Also, how many times have we looked at our friends setups, proudly showing their world-class (classe !) gear being locked in cages,cabinets, wall grooves, glass boxes and so forth,with no air to breathe and no room to cool down ?:scareboo:
                  It may be just my obsessive personality, but I would be extremely cautious about buying used cd player ! 8O
                  Eliav

Comment

• shep
                    • Dec 2004

Thanks all for the views from both sides. Went ahead and bought the CDP-102, replacing (or supplanting) a Rotel rcd-1072. Will report back when it is up and running, adding comments on value for price paid ($2500) along with the expected upgrade in sound from the Rotel. Expecting delivery in about two weeks.

Comment

• Eliav
                      • Jul 2005

Thanks all for the views from both sides. Went ahead and bought the CDP-102, replacing (or supplanting) a Rotel rcd-1072. Will report back when it is up and running, adding comments on value for price paid ($2500) along with the expected upgrade in sound from the Rotel. Expecting delivery in about two weeks.
                      Congrats !
                      I went the same way replacing my Rotel gear with Classe, I am sure you'll not regret it.
                      Enjoy !
                      Eliav

Comment

• shep
                        • Dec 2004

Love the CDP-102. Turned out to be such a good investment, that I subsequently replaced my rotel pre (rc-1070) with the Classe CP-700. The step up in sound quality was even more dramatic with the new pre - a sign that while the rotel cd player was pretty darned good, the Classe pre is far superior to the rotel pre. Now looking for a used (or new) CA-2200. Driving a pair of 803s - will need to stop upgrading after this one...

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

- will need to stop upgrading after this one...
                          thats what we all say!
                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RobP
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Shep, I wish I had read this earlier ops: , just passed an a pre-owned CDP-102 for $2k from my dealer a few weeks back.
                            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• shep
                              • Dec 2004

wish I knew, although that is quite a hike for me from Maryland...very happy with the purchase.

Comment

• Glen B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2004

There's a 3-month old CDP-102 listed on Audiogon for $2800 (no pics) and a CDP-202 on Ebay going for $3,500 buy-it-now.

Comment

• shep
                                  • Dec 2004

made my purchase months ago (read further back to June in this thread), but thanks!

Now I need to find a CA-2200!

Cheers

Comment

• Glen B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jul 2004

made my purchase months ago (read further back to June in this thread), but thanks!
                                    My comments were intended for Soundgravy's benefit. :B

Comment

• RobP
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Glen,

I would love to upgrade , but you know how it goes , I would get the CDP-102 and then couldn't live with the fact that all my other equipment didn't match, then the obsession would begin... :lol:
                                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• shep
                                        • Dec 2004

If you already have Classe, then I guess you wouldn't be interested in my slightly used Rotel RCD-1072...just about to put it on the board.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"