X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hmpart
    • Feb 2007

Cdp-502

Hello,

I recently added the CDP-502 to my system that includes the following: B&W 800D'S, Signature 8NT in-wall rears and HTM 1D center, Classe Delta Series 400W Monoblocks, CA-5200 power amp, and SSP600 processor. Needless to say I am very pleased with the system.

I am using MIT balanced interconnects through out including the digital AES/EBU out on the CDP-502 which is connected to the SSP-600. MIT does not make a specific interconnect optimized for digital so I am using their standard balanced interconnect.

I was wondering however, if it would be best to change this out to a specific digitally optimized AES/EBU cable of another brand. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Howard
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Sweet system hmpart. Have any pics you can post in the picture thread?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• yannparis
      • May 2007

The AES EBU has set the characteric impedance for the balanced digital transmission at 110 Ohms (Tolerance: 88 to 132). Twisted shielded pair and large bandwidth are required. So a specific cable is required.

Not using such a cable, impedance mismatch generates signal reflextions and jitter.

You should buy professionnal cable. Canare or Mogami are good brands.

Regards,

Yann - Paris, France

Comment

• hmpart
        • Feb 2007

Thanks very much for the advice.

Here's a photo of most of the system. I didn't include the 8NT in walls.

Best,
        Howard

Comment

• photoman
          • Apr 2006

very nice - lovely room

Comment

• Birdy
            • Mar 2006

They don't get too hot in there??? :roll:

Birdy

Comment

• hmpart
              • Feb 2007

Thanks Photoman.

Birdy, good question. The back of the corner cupboard is completely open and leads into another small room that is used for storage and provides easy access the the rear panels of the various components. I keep the top door open a crack when the system is powered up to aid in cross ventilation. Surprisingly the CDP-505 runs the hottest, but you can very comfortably rest your hand on it even after it has been playing a disc for for a couple of hours.

Best,
              Howard

Comment

• Dave999
                • Mar 2007

Hmpart, nice set up. I am in the process of putting together a similar one, with a Meridian processor, instead of the Classe.

Comment

• Birdy
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by hmpart
                  Thanks Photoman.

Birdy, good question. The back of the corner cupboard is completely open and leads into another small room that is used for storage and provides easy access the the rear panels of the various components. I keep the top door open a crack when the system is powered up to aid in cross ventilation. Surprisingly the CDP-505 runs the hottest, but you can very comfortably rest your hand on it even after it has been playing a disc for for a couple of hours.

Best,
                  Smart

Comment

• Celt16
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by hmpart
                    Hello,

I recently added the CDP-502 to my system that includes the following: B&W 800D'S, Signature 8NT in-wall rears and HTM 1D center, Classe Delta Series 400W Monoblocks, CA-5200 power amp, and SSP600 processor. Needless to say I am very pleased with the system.

I am using MIT balanced interconnects through out including the digital AES/EBU out on the CDP-502 which is connected to the SSP-600. MIT does not make a specific interconnect optimized for digital so I am using their standard balanced interconnect.

I was wondering however, if it would be best to change this out to a specific digitally optimized AES/EBU cable of another brand. Any advice would be appreciated.
                    So, you've had the CDP-502 for a while ... are you glad you bought it? Any regrets? I'm toying with the idea of buying one, but the price tag is tres tres steep for my budget, and I'm worried about obsolesence once Blue-Ray takes hold.

Comment

• hmpart
                      • Feb 2007

Celt16,

Sorry to take so long to respond to your question. I haven't had time to visit the forum for a few weeks. In any event. I would purchase it again in a heart beat. CD playback is outstanding. Frankly, I was surprised how good it is. Much better than my Theta which was no slouch. Likewise I've been very pleased with the video capabilities. I'm not too concerned about the format wars so I jumped right in. Life's to short.

Only problem has been the the software glitch regarding disc recognition. This issue been fixed with the new software update.

Hope this helps and good luck with you decision.

Best,
                      Howard

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"