X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Upgrade?

Ok, so I have a Rotel RSP-1098. And after doing a lot of thinking, I am in the upgrading mood. I really only watch a movies maybe once a week, but I listen to music EVERYDAY, almost all the time when I am in my apartment. CD/Record/Two-Channel SACD. So, what I was thinking about doing is getting a good Classe pre-amp to run my two channel. I was looking at the CP-500. Do you guys have any suggestions or comments to this idea? Is it good or bad? Do you think I will notice a difference?
    -Joe
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

I was once in your position and decided instead to sell off the 1098 and purchase an Anthem Statement D2 which I have found to be one of the best sounding AVRs in two channel bypass mode that I have ever heard. As a less costly alternative there is the AVM40 or AVM50 depending on wether your wants include a video processor.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

Originally posted by DrJRapp
      I was once in your position and decided instead to sell off the 1098 and purchase an Anthem Statement D2 which I have found to be one of the best sounding AVRs in two channel bypass mode that I have ever heard. As a less costly alternative there is the AVM40 or AVM50 depending on wether your wants include a video processor.
      Well, I am going to keep the RSP-1098 for movie/video/DVD-A/SACD multichannel processing.

I was going to hook the CD Player, Two-Channel output from the Universal Player, and my Turntable to the Classe Pre-Amp. Then run the L&R from the Rotel to the pre-amp also.

So for music I would just use the Classe, and for video I would use both... (but the Classe is audio only)

I hope that makes sense...
      -Joe

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I think before you make a purchase, you should obviously demo... with that being said, I did not care for the anthem pre/pro. has nice features, but I like the classe sound better. just my opinion, and I respect others'.

How much does the cp500 cost? i havent priced it, but isnt it close to $5k? Im not sure I could justify it. why? because for $1500 more (MSRP of course) you can get the ssp-600 which has the cp preamp built into it, when using balanced connections.

I personally think, that you should either go 1 of 2 routes...

1. buy the cp-700 as the end-all-be-all 2 channel preamp

2. buy the ssp-600 and use it for 2 channel as well as HT. when the new processor equivalent comes out (looks like next year) upgrade when your pre is depreciated/ready to invest in new features, and get the new integrated 2 channel built into it.

I am going route 2, but it would be sweet to have a cp-700!
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

The CP-500 is $3500.00 US and the SSP-300 is $4500.00 US. They are much closer in price than the SSP-600 would be to the CP-500. Do listen to all of your options. If the CP-500 is in the budget, look at the SSP-300. You might be able to simplify your system and its operation.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            The CP-500 is $3500.00 US and the SSP-300 is $4500.00 US. They are much closer in price than the SSP-600 would be to the CP-500. Do listen to all of your options. If the CP-500 is in the budget, look at the SSP-300. You might be able to simplify your system and its operation.

Eric
            The ssp-300 doesnt come with the integrated 2 channel preamp, and it isnt balanced, so i wouldnt consider it. the cp-500 sounds reasonable. i thought it was more expensive.

Comment

• Kobus
              • Aug 2005

Hi Jerry, nice to see you here. Miss your conversations.

Kobus

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
                The ssp-300 doesnt come with the integrated 2 channel preamp, and it isnt balanced, so i wouldnt consider it. the cp-500 sounds reasonable. i thought it was more expensive.
                I do know the CP-500 is a better preamp, but the SSP-300 is a better one than his RSP-1098. He should listen to both the CP-500 and the SSP-300 and decide if the SSP-300 is the right thing for his system. If he likes the CP-500 better, than he should stick with his RSP-1098 for surround for the time being.

Eric

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

My dad has the SSP-300 so I have a lot of experince with it.

For some reason he has had issues with setting it up, seems easy to me however... Oh well...

But, I am going tomorrow to talk to my dealer about what I can get the CP-500 for and I am going to listen to it and several other things. I appreciate the opinions, it has been a lot of help.

The SSP-600 and the CP-700 are a bit out of the budget too. I am probably not going to make the purchase until after summer (sept sometime). SO we will see. More thoughts/comments/opinions always welcome.
                  -Joe

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

joetama, the CP-500 would be the approprate course of action given that you want to keep your RSP-1098 and that you spend the majority of your time in stereo mode. The CP-500 can serve as a cinema pass-through device when you need it and as a high performance two-channel rig when you desire it. Speaking as a former Rotelian, you should definitely notice a substanitial improvement with this type of upgrade.

By the way, what is your planned budget? Classe' plans to release two second generation SSPs next year that will provide at least CP-500 performance for two-channel sources. If you are in no hurry, why not wait until then?
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                      joetama, the CP-500 would be the approprate course of action given that you want to keep your RSP-1098 and that you spend the majority of your time in stereo mode. The CP-500 can serve as a cinema pass-through device when you need it and as a high performance two-channel rig when you desire it. Speaking as a former Rotelian, you should definitely notice a substanitial improvement with this type of upgrade.

By the way, what is your planned budget? Classe' plans to release two second generation SSPs next year that will provide at least CP-500 performance for two-channel sources. If you are in no hurry, why not wait until then?
                      Well... I'm thinking $3500 -> $4000. That also is very veriable, I tend to shop more with my ears than my exact budget, I have plenty of money in the bank but don't want to spend it all. I am also, in no hurry I do a lot of research and A LOT of listening before I buy something. Is there somewhere I can read up on the new models Classe is releasing? Is there a solid time table for the release?

Also, is there other maybe equally as good if not better pre-amps for that price range. I liked the Classe because of their reliability and their ridiculously clean sound, but I guess I am keeping my options open perhaps.
                      -Joe

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

The new models are in the beginning stages and Classe won't show anything until CES at the eariest (that is according to my rep). I don't know if what they have coming will replace both of the current units or just the SSP-600 and be step up models from the SSP-300. That may be a course of action they take. Nothing has been decided yet.

Eric

Comment

• Glen B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by joetama
                          Also, is there other maybe equally as good if not better pre-amps for that price range. I liked the Classe because of their reliability and their ridiculously clean sound, but I guess I am keeping my options open perhaps.
                          Simaudio Moon electronics (also Canadian) may be worth an audition. I was impressed by the sound I heard from Moon Evolution series components driving Gershman speakers at the recent HE 2007 show. IMO the Moon components even have a similar look to the Classé Delta series.

Moon P-7 preamp:
                          Attached Files

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I concur with Glen. Simaudio is one of the few mainstream high-end solid state electronic manufacturers that meets my strict requirements of good looking and good sounding audio equipment that I would consider similar to (and outside of) Classe'. Although they are pricey, with a very healthy discount the P-7, as Glen suggests, could be within reach of your budget.

The new Parasound Halo JC-2 pre-amp would also be worth looking into. I have yet to hear it but I saw a pre-production prototype at CES this year and it looks very promissing. Price $4K.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

chord.. definately chord.. good enough for lucas, good enough for you!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Chord also used to be good enough for Abbey Roads, just before they switched to Classe'. :B

Comment

• joetama
                                  • May 2006

I will look into the Moon and the Chord.

What is the price ranges on the chord pre-amps?
                                  -Joe

Comment

• joetama
                                    • May 2006

So, I just got back from my local store. I must say that I am heartbroken.

They no longer carry B&W Products. Instead, they picked up Focal, McIntosh, & NAD. Since the switch they have lost a lot of their customer base, so the guy I have always dealt with for nearly 3 years now has been let go.

Needless to say I am not happy.
                                    -Joe

Comment

• joetama
                                      • May 2006

My 'former' dealer also told me that the Classe turns all the signal to digital, processes it then turns it all back to analog.... Is that true?
                                      -Joe

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by joetama
                                        My 'former' dealer also told me that the Classe turns all the signal to digital, processes it then turns it all back to analog.... Is that true?
                                        Yes and no. With repect to their pre-amps absolutely not. With respect to their SSPs (300 and 600), yes unless you use the 7.1 single ended inputs for analog bypass. The SSP-600 is special in that its balanced inputs are user selectable for either analog to digital processing or pure analog bypass.

I hope it wasn't the case of a misinformed dealer that led to its demise with Classe' brand-manship.

Comment

• joetama
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                          Yes and no. With repect to their pre-amps absolutely not. With respect to their SSPs (300 and 600), yes unless you use the 7.1 single ended inputs for analog bypass. The SSP-600 is special in that its balanced inputs are user selectable for either analog to digital processing or pure analog bypass.

I hope it wasn't the case of a misinformed dealer that led to his demise.
                                          I don't know what the deal is... But, they were defiantly pushing the McIntosh on me. (Which McIntosh is good, but I was too shocked to listen.) Mark (the guy I talked to), actually seemed to have it out for Classe, maybe it was because the owner was standing there... But I am still amazed. I did a search and found a different dealer that just opened up, so I am going to check them out tomorrow, I hope they have what I am looking for... :cry:
                                          -Joe

Comment

• joetama
                                            • May 2006

Ok, I'm still in the market.

Right now I'm still between the CP-500 and something McIntosh.

What would you guys say is the closes thing to the CP-500 from Mac? C45 or C220?
                                            -Joe

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"