X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Generation Next Processors

Classé has indeed decided to shelve the SSP-900 project, for now. While a fully working production model is in circulation mass production of the ultra high-end processor will not be forth coming. Instead what we will see, in the not to distant future, are its two offspring, the SSP-700 and SSP-800.

The SSP-900 is an exceedingly complex and sophisticated piece of equipment. While Classé could have released the processor to manufacturing they believed doing so would not have been in the best interest of its clientele and it would compromise their philosophy of conducting business.

Classé scrutinizes everything they do and if a product doesn’t fully measure up or has the potential to discourage its customers and/or consume an inordinate amount of resources to fix a problem that shouldn’t have been, then they will scrap it in favor of producing something better. Anyone who has witnessed the titanic sized wake incurred by consumers of the Anthem D2 will appreciate Classé’s concerns it had for its more advanced SSP-900.

The SSP-700 and SSP-800 are not intended to be direct replacements for either the SSP-300 or SSP-600 as they will be more expensive. Rather their role in the Classé lineup of pre/pro’s will be to bridge high-performance and high-definition audio together in one unified whole. The good news is that the new processors will inherit much of the SSP-900’s technology, be far more robust and cost a fraction of its price. :T
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

Rebelman,

Do you know if the new processors can be upgraded? I thought I read the 900 allowed you to swap circuit boards as the technology/standards change. I thought this was part of why you were paying so much. This would be great to see.

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Classe' has a technical road map of what they would like to accomplish with their next generation SSP's. As it stands now one such technical feature they would like to see included in both processors are the advanced codecs; Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. However, this is subject to change as the feasibility of their intent is heavily dependent on a number of factors like the hardware requirements and timing involved to engineer the final product.

Support of the new codecs is not available in the current TI DSP which was slated for the SSP-900. If Classe' anticipates meeting their deadline for the new processors they may have to forgo the second generation TI DSP that would include the necessary support and employ what is available today with the option and capability to upgrade the DSP later. It is unlikely that the SSP-700 and SSP-800 will be blessed with same upgradable architecture that distinguished the SSP-900 but they will have some capacity to be upgraded, albeit limited to strategic areas that would warrant it.

Comment

• EAmin
        • Aug 2004

Thanks Rebelman! Please continue to keep us posted on the status of the new processors.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

In response to the recent rise of interest in Classe's upcoming second generation surround sound processors (SSPs), the following information is provided, courtesy of Classe’, which should answer some preliminary questions. What is reported here is current as of CEDIA 2007 but is subject to change.

Roadmap and Pricing:

As was mentioned in an earlier post the SSP-700 and SSP-800 are not scheduled to replace the current issue of SSPs namely the SSP-300 and SSP-600. The newest SSPs will draw some similarities from the old guard but will include unique features necessary to support the future of HD programming.

The SSP-700 will have an estimated market price between $7K and $8K while the SSP-800 will be between $10K and $12K. The SSP-800 is expected to be released first and should reach the retail market sometime in March 2008 while the SSP-700 is planned to make its debut sometime thereafter. Current estimates put it somewhere between later summer and early fall of next year, depending on the success and maturity of the SSP-800.

Technical Specifications:

The SSP-700 and the SSP-800 will adopt the same foot print and chassis that the current SSP-300 and SSP-600 employ today. Both SSPs will support balanced and single ended connection types and both are spec’d for 7.1 (eight channel) implementations but the SSP-700 will only support XLR outputs for the front LR channels whereas the SSP-800 will support all channels plus two more for bi-amping the fronts or adding up to two extra subwoofers or a speaker pair for another room. Both SSPs will deliver two-channel (stereo pre-amplifier) audio performance equal to or better than the current SSP-600. Overall the audio performance of the SSP-800 will be similar to that of the SSP-900 and it is believed it will be the best sounding SSP at any price.

Some specific details about circuit parts and descriptions are still sketchy at this time but it is hoped the details of this information will surface by year’s end and in time for the CES 2008 announcement. For now, it is known that both SSP’s will utilize the same HDMI audio and video switching board. Classe’s HDMI implementation supports Version 1.3 of the specification and will include four inputs and two outputs. It is a true HDMI repeater. Audio is pealed from the signal, processed and sent to the outputs. Video will not be scaled but an On Screen Overlay function will be provided for all resolutions up to and including 1080p.

Digital audio processing is based on Momentum Data Systems (MDS) implementation of Texas Instruments (TI) Aureus DSP that was built into the SSP-900. The current iteration will support uncompressed LPCM across the HDMI interface but not Dolby TrueHD nor dts-HD decoding. An MDS DSP engine update is expected to support the new codecs but may not meet the SSP-800’s launch date. In the event the new DSP is delayed, Classe’ is engineering the option to have this component replaced in field units. Classe’ will publish the necessary information for upgradeable units prior to shipping the first SSP-800. Finally, five-band (manual) parametric-equalization (PEQ) will be included and will cover all ten channels.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

will the touch-screen support HD video?
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Not sure I suspect it will. I will add this to my list of things to ask Classe' for my next update. Anyone else have questions (not answered here) they would like to ask now is the time.

Comment

• ryst
                • May 2007

I would like to know if they may include support for streaming audio from a computer, wired or wireless.
                It would be great to have the music collection in flac and strem it to the SSP or mayby connect a USB disc direct to the SSP.

I haved asked this to Classé before but I only got an answer that it sounded interseting to evolve the CANBUS interface.

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Noted ryst. Keep the questions coming. I am compling a list.

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                    The current iteration will support uncompressed LPCM across the HDMI interface but not Dolby TrueHD nor dts-HD decoding.
                    my question would be what is the reason for this especially since it will be a "HDMI 1.3" processor. I think by the time this hits the market next year it will be fairly common to see reciever and prcoessors which can decode the new audio formats.

Since it is HDMI 1.3 will it be possible to update the ability to decode the said audio formats by a firmware update?

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

I have a suggestion for current gen.

can they add a way to boost the LFE on analog inputs by 10 for those who currently use analog connections for HD media? This would be a big plus.

Comment

• jtcseattle
                        • Oct 2007

SSP-800 Footprint

Thanks for the info, RebelMan. I have the SSP-600 and am considering upgrading when the SSP-800 arrives. You mentioned that the SSP-800 is supposed to have the same footprint and chassis as the SSP-600. I had heard that it might be about an inch and a half taller. I'd love to know whether it will actually be the same size. My rack space is a bit tight and the larger size might not fit.

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                          my question would be what is the reason for this especially since it will be a "HDMI 1.3" processor. I think by the time this hits the market next year it will be fairly common to see reciever and prcoessors which can decode the new audio formats.

Since it is HDMI 1.3 will it be possible to update the ability to decode the said audio formats by a firmware update?
                          It's because the MDS module is utilizing an older Aureus DSP that doesn't support the new codecs. Classe' is building their next gen SSPs around the current MDS module. When MDS releases a newer module supporting the newer Aureus DSP and thus the new codecs, the new SSPs will be capable of receiving the hardware and firmware update. Classe's approach to designing the new SSPs enables them to continue with their production plans semi-independently of the progress being made to further DSP development by TI and MDS.

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                            I have a suggestion for current gen.

can they add a way to boost the LFE on analog inputs by 10 for those who currently use analog connections for HD media? This would be a big plus.
                            That would require digitizing the analog signal which would defeat the purpose of preserving signal integrity in the analog domain. Granted LFE signals are less susceptible to such tampering but what effects the LFE channel would affect all the channels. Per-channel bypass is not a feature available on any surround sound processor that I know of though it would be nice to have in situations like these.

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jtcseattle
                              Thanks for the info, RebelMan. I have the SSP-600 and am considering upgrading when the SSP-800 arrives. You mentioned that the SSP-800 is supposed to have the same footprint and chassis as the SSP-600. I had heard that it might be about an inch and a half taller. I'd love to know whether it will actually be the same size. My rack space is a bit tight and the larger size might not fit.
                              The SSP-800 fits into the same 6" chassis that is currently used for the SSP-600. Likewise the SSP-700 fits the SSP-300.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

That would require digitizing the analog signal which would defeat the purpose of preserving signal integrity in the analog domain. Granted LFE signals are less susceptible to such tampering but what effects the LFE channel would affect all the channels. Per-channel bypass is not a feature available on any surround sound processor that I know of though it would be nice to have in situations like these.
                                Actually, many receivers are capable of doing this. And to be honest, if each input is seperate, I don't really mind sending the bass into the digital realm.

Comment

• ryst
                                  • May 2007

If they are gonne use the same chassi, could it be possible to upgrade the SSP-600 to SSP-800?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ryst
                                    If they are gonne use the same chassi, could it be possible to upgrade the SSP-600 to SSP-800?
                                    That would be sweet. I'm wondering if they would basically have to gut it though, or if there would be many re-usable parts.

In my communication with Classe Tech Support, I know that they won't have as many 2 channel single ended connections on the back with the next gen's, as customers don't need them anymore.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Actually, many receivers are capable of doing this.
                                      Doing what? Per channel bypass? Which ones? I'm pretty sure they are running the signal through an ADC circuit first to make what you are suggesting (independent LFE gain) possible.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

In my communication with Classe Tech Support, I know that they won't have as many 2 channel single ended connections on the back with the next gen's, as customers don't need them anymore.
                                        This is true. Classe' is gradually moving further away from analog to digital with the next generation SSPs. There will still be support for balanced and SE connections just not as many of them to support multiple channels. However, support for high-fidelity stereo pre-amplifier audio using signal preserving circuit paths will remain.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2005

It's because the MDS module is utilizing an older Aureus DSP that doesn't support the new codecs. Classe' is building their next gen SSPs around the current MDS module. When MDS releases a newer module supporting the newer Aureus DSP and thus the new codecs, the new SSPs will be capable of receiving the hardware and firmware update. Classe's approach to designing the new SSPs enables them to continue with their production plans semi-independently of the progress being made to further DSP development by TI and MDS.
                                          since you know classe..what would likely be the cost to update the SSP for both firmware and hardware in oder to make it compatible? Or are you already paying for that in the initial cost and the update will be free?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ryst
                                            Unlikely, but I will confirm this.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                              since you know classe..what would likely be the cost to update the SSP for both firmware and hardware in oder to make it compatible? Or are you already paying for that in the initial cost and the update will be free?
                                              This information is still sketchy given the dependencies involved at this time. There are two possible senario's. They could charge less for early adopters and then offer the update at a cost. Or they could charge the max and offer it free. It's possible, and most probable, that the initial investment would cover the future update. The closer Classe' approaches the launch date the better idea they will have. I should know more on this by year's end.

Comment

• Aldo
                                                • Sep 2005

About two years ago I was waiting for the SSP900 to be realised, then there was only HDMI 1.0, I wait, and I wait and wait and wait until I bought the Halcro (I'm not saying it is better)!
                                                Now when Classe ships their new SSP 800 we are going to be, what HDMI 1.9, I know they take their time to make thinghs right but..... they are SLOOOOOOOW!

I also think that the HD market is changing way to fast now to make such a big investment in something that is going to be obsolete very soon!
                                                I just bought my 20Ks Marantz VP11S1 3 months ago, now I have to upgrade it to HDMI 1.3, and then what.... These Hi-fi hobby is getting a lot like the computers;

The same day you brouse the web with your brand new computer you realized there is a new Pentium VII processor!
                                                Now where are my LP's!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

The SSP-900 was a statement piece and it was purposely designed from the ground up to be that way. To borrow a few trendy words from contemporary lexicon, the SSP-900 was the culmination of Extreme Engineering in the realm of surround sound processor complexity and sophistication. Classe' continuously re-evaluates market conditions and at the time the SSP-900 was scheduled to make its debut they determined a new direction and scope was necessary to meet the eventual needs of its customers. The scaled down SSP-900 led to what we now know as the SSP-800 and SSP-700.

Is Classe' "SLOOOOOOOOW" or just methodical? I think they are wise to get it done right rather than done rushed. I also think that companies that are too focused on pushing a new product to market rather than ensuring quality and reliability are only setting themselves up for making potentially bigger mistakes by upsetting their customers. Take a closer look at these boards and witness the number of complaints generally expressed by early adopters of popular brand names. The whole situation is ridiculously silly.

These "dopers", as I call them, are always in such a hurry to get the latest and greatest thing only to face certain frustration and regret later on. After the purchase is made these same people will express their dismay and then have the nerve to complain that such and such a company should have spent more time working the bugs out before releasing the product. It isn't until then that they admit that they would rather have waited longer to get a solid product than gain some time on compromised one.

[RANT ON] Oh please people, learn to have a little more patience, or accept the terms and conditions of being a "dope", sheesh. :roll: [RANT OFF]

Aldo, standard technology formats never waiver. Non-standard formats change all the time. Case in point... CDs and DVDs versus DVI and HDMI. Classe' is doing it's best to uphold the standards. This they should be commended for not criticized. Place the blame where the blame belongs, that is on the non-standard bearers.

Comment

• Aldo
                                                    • Sep 2005

The SSP-900 was a statement piece and it was purposely designed from the ground up to be that way. To borrow a few trendy words from contemporary lexicon, the SSP-900 was the culmination of Extreme Engineering in the realm of surround sound processor complexity and sophistication. Classe' continuously re-evaluates market conditions and at the time the SSP-900 was scheduled to make its debut they determined a new direction and scope was necessary to meet the eventual needs of its customers. The scaled down SSP-900 led to what we now know as the SSP-800 and SSP-700.

Is Classe' "SLOOOOOOOOW" or just methodical? I think they are wise to get it done right rather than done rushed. I also think that companies that are too focused on pushing a new product to market rather than ensuring quality and reliability are only setting themselves up for making potentially bigger mistakes by upsetting their customers. Take a closer look at these boards and witness the number of complaints generally expressed by early adopters of popular brand names. The whole situation is ridiculously silly.

These "dopers", as I call them, are always in such a hurry to get the latest and greatest thing only to face certain frustration and regret later on. After the purchase is made these same people will express their dismay and then have the nerve to complain that such and such a company should have spent more time working the bugs out before releasing the product. It isn't until then that they admit that they would rather have waited longer to get a solid product than gain some time on compromised one.

[RANT ON] Oh please people, learn to have a little more patience, or accept the terms and conditions of being a "dope", sheesh. :roll: [RANT OFF]

Aldo, standard technology formats never waiver. Non-standard formats change all the time. Case in point... CDs and DVDs versus DVI and HDMI. Classe' is doing it's best to uphold the standards. This they should be commended for not criticized. Place the blame where the blame belongs, that is on the non-standard bearers.
                                                    I think we are all looking (at least must of us in the forum) for the best sound/ image we can get and that for shure is not in a CD or a DVD!
                                                    The technology is ready, digital Lossless audio is ready so, at the end Classe is trying to sell something , right!
                                                    Statement or not they want to sell Amps, processors, etc and the only way to do that is providing the BEST abailable technology, if not...

They should make turntables!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE CLASSE, I have the must incredible sounding SACD (NOT STANDARD) from Classe, I have 4 CA2200 ampd and I order 4 CM400 for my speakers.

I'm just saying if they are about to realise a Processor, don't show it 3 years in a row at CEDIA.
                                                    I just get a letter from a Classe dealer that the SSP900 is ready but now I need to buy a Scaled down version (in about a year) of a produst I waited for 3 years?

Maybe they just need to keep their mouth shut until they get the product ready!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Aldo
                                                      Maybe they just need to keep their mouth shut until they get the product ready!
                                                      Or maybe we should stop asking them what's up? :W You make some valid points I am only offering another point of view.

Classe' could have released the SSP-900 but they chose not too. The decision was based on a number of things, some of which they had control over and some they didn't. They could have released an HDMI 1.1 complaint system only to face obsolesce in the minds eye of the buying public. Informed people know that HDMI 1.1 would have been sufficient but people want HDMI 1.3 because it is HDMI 1.3. They don't want anything less than the "latest and greatest" HDMI, period. Lacking the techical awareness to know better they easily succum to marketing influences.

When a company is faced with anticipating the needs of its customers now and staving off obsolescence in the future tough choices must be made to marry the right technology at the right time to meet those needs. Don't you think it is in our best interest that Classe' release a feature rich component later rather than a featureless component sooner? If it means it will do a better job of achieving long term satisfaction then one would think so.

Comment

• Aldo
                                                        • Sep 2005

Or maybe we should stop asking them what's up? :W You make some valid points I am only offering another point of view.

Classe' could have released the SSP-900 but they chose not too. The decision was based on a number of things, some of which they had control over and some they didn't. They could have released an HDMI 1.1 complaint system only to face obsolesce in the minds eye of the buying public. Informed people know that HDMI 1.1 would have been sufficient but people want HDMI 1.3 because it is HDMI 1.3. They don't want anything less than the "latest and greatest" HDMI, period. Lacking the techical awareness to know better they easily succum to marketing influences.

When a company is faced with anticipating the needs of its customers now and staving off obsolescence in the future tough choices must be made to marry the right technology at the right time to meet those needs. Don't you think it is in our best interest that Classe' release a feature rich component later rather than a featureless component sooner? If it means it will do a better job of achieving long term satisfaction then one would think so.
                                                        You are right! As I told you I bought a Marantz VP11S1 and now I need to send it back to Marantz for an HDMI 1.3 upgrade... they should wait!

Sorry if I sound harsh, that was not my intend.

We all know you are the best informed in this forum and we appreciate all your fedback!

Thanks! :B

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

aldo, does the new purchase mean you like the classe over the Mac's you had? I personally didnt care for Mac when I demo'd them, but everybody has different tastes. I also think the big meters are ugly...

Comment

• Aldo
                                                            • Sep 2005

aldo, does the new purchase mean you like the classe over the Mac's you had? I personally didnt care for Mac when I demo'd them, but everybody has different tastes. I also think the big meters are ugly...
                                                            What I really want to do is make every amp in my setup from the same brand, I do not have any preference now between the Classe and the MCs, but right now I'm getting a better deal on the Classes.

I made a plastic piece to cover the Classe leds, who are annoying with movie playing, Imaging what I think of the Mcs.
                                                            They are just no good option for a theater if they are not hidden away!

I will use the mcs in another setup.

My setup will be like these:

2 Classe mono: Nautilus bass
                                                            2 Classe mono: Nautilus mid
                                                            1 Classe CA2200: Nautilus Upper mid and tweeter
                                                            1 Classe CA2200: Left Surround, Left center surround
                                                            1 Classe CA2200: Right Sorround, Right center sorround
                                                            1 Classe mono: Center chanel

Thats for now!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Aldo
                                                              I made a plastic piece to cover the Classe leds, who are annoying with movie playing, Imaging what I think of the Mcs.
                                                              They are just no good option for a theater if they are not hidden away!
                                                              Aldo, if you are not already the most admired member at the Guide then you are certainly the most envied. I can only imagine what a pair a Nautilus sounds like driven by a full blown Classe' system. Awesome! :T

It may be a moot point to mention this now but others may not be aware that the LEDs can be adjusted to minimize distractions. Using the CANBUS network I programmed the amplifiers LEDs to the lowest setting possible. They are still visible but I think the reduction is good enough to avoid the alternative measures that you took.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

No doubt they are polarizing. :termin8:

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                  • Sep 2005

Aldo, if you are not already the most admired member at the Guide then you are certainly the most envied. I can only imagine what a pair a Nautilus sounds like driven by a full blown Classe' system. Awesome! :T

It may be a moot point to mention this now but others may not be aware that the LEDs can be adjusted to minimize distractions. Using the CANBUS network I programmed the amplifiers LEDs to the lowest setting possible. They are still visible but I think the reduction is good enough to avoid the alternative measures that you took.
                                                                  How do you program it, can I get info in the manual?
                                                                  Thanks!
                                                                  Aldo

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

The CANBUS steps are available in the latest published manual on Classe's website. For the technically savvy, the other way to program the LED's is by using the RS232 port on the back of the amplifier, a NULL modem cable and serial communication software.

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

The CANBUS steps are available in the latest published manual on Classe's website. For the technically savvy, the other way to program the LED's is by using the RS232 port on the back of the amplifier, a NULL modem cable and serial communication software.
                                                                      THANKS!

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                                        • May 2007

Honestly it seems a bit silly to release a pre/pro that doesn't decode the new HD audio formats from Dolby and DTS, and to buy one for that matter. As Obi-wan said in A New Hope: Who's more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

I'll be in the market for a new processor sometime after CES, and would love to see someone put out a clean, well done, nice looking unit that does the lossless decoding, has HDMI switching, has balanced outputs for all channels, and comes in under $6k. Reading about the SSP-700 had my hopes up until Rebelman stated that XLRs would only be available on the L-R channels.

I've contacted Krell about upgrading their Showcase processor and strangely haven't heard back from them either via email or phone.

As for a question for Classe, I guess I don't have one, other than why can't they make something like what I've describe above without putting the price tag into five figures????

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 2299

Originally posted by Minardi2
                                                                          As for a question for Classe, I guess I don't have one, other than why can't they make something like what I've describe above without putting the price tag into five figures????
                                                                          would be nice...

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

Honestly it seems a bit silly to release a pre/pro that doesn't decode the new HD audio formats from Dolby and DTS, and to buy one for that matter. As Obi-wan said in A New Hope: Who's more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?
                                                                            Indeed, but he also said the FORCE is a powerful influence over the weak minded.

I've contacted Krell about upgrading their Showcase processor and strangely haven't heard back from them either via email or phone.
                                                                            Not so strange. It is rumored that they are having some internal shake ups.

I'll be in the market for a new processor sometime after CES, and would love to see someone put out a clean, well done, nice looking unit that does the lossless decoding, has HDMI switching, has balanced outputs for all channels, and comes in under $6k. Reading about the SSP-700 had my hopes up until Rebelman stated that XLRs would only be available on the L-R channels.
                                                                            The new SSPs will have everything you are looking for in the coming months. Can you name one other high performance audio company that does or plans to? Not even the venerable D2 comes as close to meeting your requirements.

From where I am sitting Classe' has gone to great lengths to provide us with a price competitive product that is the SSP-800. Look at the new SSPs this way. For less than half the cost of the SSP-900, the SSP-800 net's you nearly if not all the sound quality. If that's what your in this for, top sound quality, then this should be seen as a bargin!

The SSP-800 is essentially the SSP-900 reincarnated but better in some ways. It was built with only one purpose in mind, to provide the best home theater audio money can buy... for any price! :B

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • May 2007
                                                                              • 63

#39

The new SSPs will have everything you are looking for in the coming months. Can you name one other high performance audio company that does or plans to? Not even the venerable D2 comes as close to meeting your requirements. :B
                                                                              Ask me that question after CES.

I suspect we'll see quite a few in the first half of '08, especially considering that it's likely most high end companies won't jump into the HD DVD player market with the (stupid) format war still raging. With the audio side more stable, new processors seem a good bet.

I just think it's possible to get all the things I'm looking for for less than $10k.

As for Krell, I read about their internal issues, but I left a voice mail with Rondi D'Agastino after going through the phone prompts for sales. I figured I'd hear back from someone.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 3139

#40
                                                                                Ask me that question after CES.
                                                                                Count on it. I'll be on the look out too but I'm not expecting any surprises. :W

I suspect we'll see quite a few in the first half of '08,...
                                                                                From the likes of whom do you suppose?

...especially considering that it's likely most high end companies won't jump into the HD DVD player market with the (stupid) format war still raging. With the audio side more stable, new processors seem a good bet.
                                                                                Yep, including Classe'.

I just think it's possible to get all the things I'm looking for for less than $10k.
                                                                                Anything is possible but usually not probable.

As for Krell, I read about their internal issues, but I left a voice mail with Rondi D'Agastino after going through the phone prompts for sales. I figured I'd hear back from someone.
                                                                                Good luck! Unfortunately, what’s done is done. Maybe it's time to consider a more solvent organization to invest your fun money in? I can think of a very good one... :B

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • May 2007
                                                                                  • 63

#41

From the likes of whom do you suppose?

Any higher-end company that does HT must be planning a new processor. As for names, Levinson, Lexicon, Krell . . . .

Anything is possible but usually not probable.
                                                                                  Why is that not probable? It would simply be insane for the criteria I listed to not be available for under $10k. And if it is, the industry is so screwed up that maybe it's time to keep my money.

B
                                                                                  Any higher-end company that does HT must be planning a new processor. As for names, Levinson, Lexicon, Krell . . . .

Why is that not probable? It would simply be insane for the criteria I listed to not be available for under $10k. And if it is, the industry is so screwed up that maybe it's time to keep my money.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

#42
                                                                                    Are you guessing or do you know? Classe' already has!

Lots of reasons why, economies of scale to name one. Do you have any idea how big many high-end outfits like Krell are? The answers may surprise you.

I'm not sure why you would think the industry would be screwed up. We still live in a democracy where the laws of supply and demand dictate market shares and conditions. Maybe you would be happier with a less expensive mass market device like Integra's DTC-9.8 for your HD needs.

As a previous owner of Onkyo equipment, good as they are for their respective market, they can't hold a candle to Classe' equipment in terms of high-fidelity reproduction. Since I don't like to compromise the price of admission will be the price to pay if I intend to stick around. You seem less inclined to.

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • May 2007
                                                                                      • 63

#43
                                                                                      I'm guessing, but I don't think I'm a genius for it. Say what you want, but HT is clearly outpacing 2-channel systems these days, which is unfortunate to some degree. And to have continued growth, manufacturers will need to support the new audio codecs, especially in a niche market like high end audio where upgrade-itis is a known and accepted disease! :W

Could I be happy with a less expensive unit? Probably, but it's not in my nature as my pocketbook will tell you. Considering I have Krell, Levinson, B&W, Pioneer Elite, and JL Audio in the house, not to mention MESA/Boogie and seven or eight high quality guitars, I would say that I'm likely to "stick around," as you say. I just think that the price to benefit ratio is dropping at $10k for a surround sound processor.

Now, that's not to say that I won't check the new Classe out, along with any other product that meets my needs. The fact that the dealer that I spend 90% of my money with is a Classe dealer will certainly lead to an in home demo I'm sure.

To say I'm looking forward to CES this year is an understatement. Last year it was for Pioneer's new plasmas, this year, surround sound processors - - should be fun.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 3139

#44
                                                                                        Yep, HT is outpacing 2CH and so are MP3’s outpacing CD’s. It is unfortunate that special effects and ultra convenience are displacing quality. Having said that, I am not so sure that the high-end markets have to embrace the new audio codecs to survive.

Many audio purists actually appose the idea of home cinema and the high-end companies that embrace it. The high-end market primarily caters to this core audience. While I think it makes good business for high-end companies to be involved on both sides of the equation there are others that find contentment from owning a mediocre HT system from the masses and a high-end 2CH system from the niches.

Speaking as a person with a 50/50 need I find value in (expensive) offerings from companies like Classe’ even though the prices are steep. While I am not defending Classe’s decision to offer exorbitant products I am encouraged by their willingness to engineer something within arm’s reach. The SSP-900 was just a dream, while the SSP-800 is a possibility.

If you find anything new in the realm of high-performance SSPs at next years CES don’t be shy about it. Honestly, my expectations that you find anything worth while are low but I do like surprises. This year’s KURO was nothing compared to last year's SED but next year's 3D TV should be as you say… fun. :T

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • May 2007
                                                                                          • 63

#45
                                                                                          I agree, there will always be a core of 2-channel companies like Ayre and Audio Research (at least that's my hope!).

Statement products are nice because it a harbinger of things to come as the trickle down effect occurs. And if the SSP-800 is close to a statment product great. I just don't want to pay statment prices for it, unless Classe happens to be the only manufacturer that has exactly what I'm looking for. I would like to think they won't be.

Let's not get started on the SED saga please. Great technology that had magnificent potential, but was clearly not ready for prime time. Until it's ready, the Kuros are the way to go IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"