X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoshEE
    • Mar 2007

Classe CA150 Remote Turnon

Hello Everyone,

I've got a CA150 amp and was wondering if I can turn it on remotely? The manual makes a small comment about this but the connector on the back isn't the standard 1/8" jack for a remote trigger. Is this a Classe specific connector? I'm using an Outlaw 950 as a preamp right now.

Also, will the CA150 go into a standby mode if I leave it on, or is it always in an "active" mode? Will leaving the CA150 on after playing it harm it?

I'm asking because I will soon be moving in with my girlfriend and she will likely forget to turn the amp on/off when I'm not there. I was thinking about moving to a Rotel pre/amp setup which I could fund by selling the CA150 and Outlaw, but it seems like quite a step down in quality for the amplifier at least.

Thanks for all your help!

-Josh
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

josh, what you need is part number RC-1, Classe does not make it anymore but you can find them sometimes on the used market.

that amplifier will always be active if left on, it will not hurt it, alot of people will say that it is actually better to leave them on full time. But you will get some heat coming out of it if you do, not much, but depending on your room and HVAC situation it may or may not be a factor.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• JoshEE
      • Mar 2007

Thank you for the reply. I also received this from Classe.

"The CA-150 is designed to power on and off via remote using the RC-1 remote interface box. The RC1 was developed when remote powering on and off represented the cutting edge of technology. It was therefore not clear at that time how this technology would ultimately develop.

Technology progressed in a manner that rendered the RC1 obsolete and we ceased production around 2001. When our stock of the components ran out, we invested a considerable amount of time developing a simple interface which would allow those Classé components which were designed to work with the RC1 to trigger power up without it. All our efforts were in vain.

This ultimately means that you cannot remotely power up your CA-150 unless you are able to locate an RC-1 remote interface box.

I am sorry that I cannot provide you a more positive response.

The CA-150 does not have an auto-off feature so it will stay on indefinitely. Leaving the amplifier powered on all of the time will not be harmful to the amplifier at all."

I think I will just leave the amp on. Heat isn't a concern, it's on the ground in between my speakers with plenty of room all around. Thanks for the quick reply!

-Josh

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Josh,

The remote jack on your amp is a standard RJ12 phone jack. See pic below of the connnections/pinouts. Classé models with the RJ12 remote jack can be triggered either manually by connecting a wire pigtail made up of 6-conductor phone cable, RJ12 jacks and momentary switch, with Classé's RC-1 remote interface which you already know about, or any other controller that is capable of delivering a momentary 12V pulse of 500 millisecond duration.

The Classé SSP-30 and SSP-60 pre/pros can be configured to send 0.5 second 12V pulses that will trigger your CA-150 when placed in/out of standby. I don't know if the Delta pre/pros can be set up to do the same. You will need to make up the appropriate wire pigtail with RJ12 jack on the end going to the amp and a 1/8" mini jack on the end going to the SSP. Also check out the Xantech model 599-00 Pulsed Switching Module, which delivers a 12V momentary DC pulse.

Glen

Remote jack connections:
        Last edited by Glen B; 28 March 2007, 02:21 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"